Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t think B. Bradley had us ready for the classic 4-2-2-2 energy drink press.

But too we can not expect to be winning often. The roster is not constructed for that. Not yet anyway. Priso is the only kid who should be starting, plus, perhaps, the case could be made for one other. Playing three kids out of position is rarely going to win you games. But with the glaring exception of Priso and maybe Mavinga there is no one on the bench who should be starting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Who are you calling "TV watchers"?
    Most of the people in this thread were watching the game on TV not from the stadium. It’s a neutral term - you just see different things on TV than you do in person and don’t see other things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The stat line sees it more like the majority here, I'm afraid. MB had 1 tackle and 1 interception in 79 minutes. Ralph Priso had three tackles and an interception in 11 minutes of playing time. Yeah, he's fresh and the opponents are tired by then, but it's still not a good look.

MB had one key pass in the entire match and completed thirteen fewer total than Osorio. Our passing percentages were pretty good across the pitch but most of them were short.

His only good stats on the day were that he didn't cough the ball up when he had it, whereas Osorio coughed it up six times, and he hit two long passes.

But Osorio was defensively strong, with four tackles and two successful dribbles.

Bradley was a defensive liability against a high pressing team.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/16...York-Red-Bulls
    I looked at the goals this morning in the Red Bulls Twitter, and I cannot see how Bradley can be faulted on any of them. Basically, someone else was out of position on both - late arrival to cover the late man into the box (Morgan) after someone (Salcedo? Shaff) failed to stop the cut back. The second was from JMR moving to the ball instead of the man.

I agree in theory that MB isn’t ideal against the press at this stage of his career, but I don’t think this game showed that. It did show a confident effective Priso and as he recovers and gets more minutes he will blossom, potentially at MB’s cost

The senior player we should be worried about is Pozuelo. He was way off the pace.

Edit: also Oso looked excellent in real time in the stadium, but his two turnovers up the pitch directly led to goals
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-06-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The stat line sees it more like the majority here, I'm afraid. MB had 1 tackle and 1 interception in 79 minutes. Ralph Priso had three tackles and an interception in 11 minutes of playing time. Yeah, he's fresh and the opponents are tired by then, but it's still not a good look.
    Yep. There are two scenarios that stand out to me with Bradley.

One is when we are in the attacking third and lose the ball. The other team looks for their outlet and it becomes the DM’s top priority to provide pressure so that player can’t turn up field and start a counter attack. Bradley isn’t fast enough to get there and more often than not that player is able to turn and pick out somebody more advanced.

The second is when Bradley gets isolated 1v1 in the middle in our defensive third. He’s been wheeled around multiple times in the past 2 games. Just doesn’t have the legs to keep up.

I think either he needs a partner anchored to him (like Priso) is there is any shot of this working. But more realistically, he’s now on the Cheyrou homestretch of his career and is really only appropriate in limited doses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yep. There are two scenarios that stand out to me with Bradley.

One is when we are in the attacking third and lose the ball. The other team looks for their outlet and it becomes the DM’s top priority to provide pressure so that player can’t turn up field and start a counter attack. Bradley isn’t fast enough to get there and more often than not that player is able to turn and pick out somebody more advanced.

The second is when Bradley gets isolated 1v1 in the middle in our defensive third. He’s been wheeled around multiple times in the past 2 games. Just doesn’t have the legs to keep up.

I think either he needs a partner anchored to him (like Priso) is there is any shot of this working. But more realistically, he’s now on the Cheyrou homestretch of his career and is really only appropriate in limited doses.
    Agree with the latter...starter vs weaker teams (once we have proper players/players playing properly around him), or off the bench if we have a commanding lead. I think a MB on bench side could be beneficial to the younger guys on the bench as well (wisdom, role model wise).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of blown defensive assignments yesterday, and not just by the 4 defenders. In Dallas we saw a full team defence approach - yesterday that went out the window.

I am still of the mind that a lot of this is due to the lack of a goalkeeper willing to tell his people where to be - Westberg is way better then Bono on this. However, Bono remains the shopstopper that coaches & pundits think because of that is good enough.

Bono is an upgrade on Bendik - end of.

We better have a new starting keeper by next year - otherwise, goalkeeping is proven to be a fundamental flaw for BB to judge (already wondering about him keeping Conway).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are my observations of yesterday's game.
    1: TFC are playing the wrong system. Shaff and JMR are wingbacks not fullbacks. You can't ask young players learn to play a new position on the fly. The coach needs to play them in positions that they will succeed in not fail. TFC should be playing a 3-5-2 formation. Yesterday's 4-3-3 had 3 midfielders with no pace and the midfield was simply being overrun by the Red Bulls. If Bono didn't play well, that could have been a 8-1 shellacking. I hope Bob Bradley isn't stubborn because if he is, we will be out of it by July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Here are my observations of yesterday's game.
    1: TFC are playing the wrong system. Shaff and JMR are wingbacks not fullbacks. You can't ask young players learn to play a new position on the fly. The coach needs to play them in positions that they will succeed in not fail. TFC should be playing a 3-5-2 formation. Yesterday's 4-3-3 had 3 midfielders with no pace and the midfield was simply being overrun by the Red Bulls. If Bono didn't play well, that could have been a 8-1 shellacking. I hope Bob Bradley isn't stubborn because if he is, we will be out of it by July.
    This is a more accurate perspective from my point of view. We have bigger issues than Michael Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I was at the game and saw something very different. First of all, Petrasso was a revelation. Secondly, I saw Bradley and Osorio were no where near as bad as the consensus of TV watchers has it - nearly all of our effective play came through them, and in person Bradley looked like he was typically positioned very well to deal with his decline in speed - not all the time, but almost all the time. I had them as our second and third best players on the day. Salcedo confident and assured. Class. On the other hand, Poz was poor. Not even his first touch was good. Jesus made an excellent goal but often had unhelpful runs off the ball. Nelson took WAAY too many touches. JMR was wildly out of position on two possibly three goals - but looked good going forward. O’Neill started well but couldn’t maintain it.
    Crowd very good. Field terrible - could see the Argo lines from December - and bloody cold in the stands.
    As for the Referees: could and should have called the foul on the third goal, which was the game changer. And six minutes of added time, mostly due to VAR on a freezing cold day when it’s 4-1? What is wrong with you.
    I was at the game and disagree entirely on Bradley. He was playing way too high, as a playmaker (which we no he can't do), gave no support to his defence and played less good balls forward than Priso in 5 minutes. Love the guy, but he can't be a starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    This is a more accurate perspective from my point of view. We have bigger issues than Michael Bradley.
    Agree that the system is the major issue. Priso over Bradley is an upgrade, but the core structure of the team (2 at the back) would still be a disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Westberg should be in net over Bono.Bono seemed a little flat footed (I was sitting by the north end). And watching the lead up whenever Red bull's were attacking. It seemed like he needed an extra second to think where he needed to be.
    I know it's early but here's to hoping he gets his aggression back. If not definitely Westberg should be in net in the interim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    You have to play them for them to be ready.

We have NEVER done this before - play the kids.

It's going to be painful but I saw more this week that was worth growing from.

People who want to ditch the kids need to understand this is what most teams do. Good things will come of it.
    Agreed. It's on Bradley to tweak the formation to put them in the best position to succeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you need a win to save the season you can ditch the kids. Game 2 of the season isn’t that time.

The fans complaining about playing the younger guys are the reason some teams get into such a deep hole that leads to multi year rebuilds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was at the game...what a absolute s.hitshow. Horrendous defending and the field was crap.

The third goal was the back breaker...we have the corner and then a complete comedy of errors and a 50 yard breakaway. What were they ALL doing on the play?

Shaffleburg was garbage....Nelson, ffs...every single damn time trying to dribble and loses it... Bradely is slow as molasses and cannot play at this level but his dad is the coach so we know he'll play even more...

Poz was bad...and it pains me to say it as I really like him.

Bono-ffs, we cleaned house and he is STILL here?

I know some say its just one game...but that was really really bad. They also missed two sitters in the second...a fair score would have been maybe 5 or 6-1. Shameful.

Why Bradely was hired is shocking...enough of hiring these clueless Americans to coach. Let alone the father of someone who shouldn't be playing anymore....

By the time Insigne comes, we will be 25 points out of a playoff spot and attendance collapsed with horrendous efforts like yesterday...many fans were strolling out at the 55 minute mark it was THAT bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But playing 2 kids at left and right back when they have no defensive ability is suicide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can argue systems for days on end. But the problem is the same as last year really: the roster isn’t good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrible game all the kids got exposed badly as far as I could see, especially Nelson. (I was in the stadium). But ffs have some patience. It’s one game in a big rebuild. Reactions here are waaayyyy over the top for where we are.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely agree with Canary here - I'm willing to be patient on the team and them learning as they go, but at some point we need to see learnings gel. Hopefully that's not a 'next year' thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just having a hard time believing that Bob Bradley thinks he can win with this midfield. Check out his 2020 LAFC midfield of Atuesta, Blessing and Kaye. All three of them are mobile, ball winning, progressive midfielders and compare them to our starting three of Poz, Osorio and Bradley. None of those three are mobile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I am just having a hard time believing that Bob Bradley thinks he can win with this midfield. Check out his 2020 LAFC midfield of Atuesta, Blessing and Kaye. All three of them are mobile, ball winning, progressive midfielders and compare them to our starting three of Poz, Osorio and Bradley. None of those three are mobile.
    I don’t think there’s any way he does. Need a few windows to get the players in I think. I do like that we’ve filled in through the academy and not by making a bunch of desperation transfers as in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don’t think there’s any way he does. Need a few windows to get the players in I think. I do like that we’ve filled in through the academy and not by making a bunch of desperation transfers as in the past.
    The thing is that we have atleast one player like that in Ralph Priso. I would like to be wrong, but I think this might be Pozuelo's final season here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I can’t find any stats but I thought Osorio was among the league leaders in distance covered in certain years? I think the issue is nobody is speedy per say. But also Bradley and Poz are both fairly one dimensional in terms of their roles in the setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    A lot of blown defensive assignments yesterday, and not just by the 4 defenders. In Dallas we saw a full team defence approach - yesterday that went out the window.

I am still of the mind that a lot of this is due to the lack of a goalkeeper willing to tell his people where to be - Westberg is way better then Bono on this. However, Bono remains the shopstopper that coaches & pundits think because of that is good enough.

Bono is an upgrade on Bendik - end of.

We better have a new starting keeper by next year - otherwise, goalkeeping is proven to be a fundamental flaw for BB to judge (already wondering about him keeping Conway).
    We have almost always looked better at the back with Westberg as our keeper. Like to see if that is still the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, good that positions are being filled by academy players rather than mls journeymen. But too bad we have two or three of them at once playing positions new to them. I don’t think we should ditch them but at the same time we shouldn’t be expecting to consistently win.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-06-2022 at 10:38 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrible game all the kids got exposed badly as far as I could see, especially Nelson. (I was in the stadium). But ffs have some patience. It’s one game in a big rebuild. Reactions here are waaayyyy over the top for where we are.
    I was also at the game. I agree on all that. I'm really not worried about the kids. Except maybe Nelson, who didn't give 100% on the first three NY goals, and made some bad decisions going forward.

I'm more worried about the veterans. Something is off, from the choice of formation and line-up, to the way the veterans are playing.

Everybody in my area at BMO Field (including some former diehard MB4 fans) agreed with the WhoScored assessment.

Lets see what adjustments BB makes for the next games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Lots of stuff mentioned already. One thing not yet mentioned, and I just confirmed it watching the highlights: Nelson played a role in the first three NYRB goals. On every one, he had an opportunity to save TFC's butt, or at least make it a bit more difficult for NY. And on every one he was in a close position but a bit back from the developing play, so he should have seen how dangerous things were and gotten more involved. But in each case, he chose to jog instead of sprinting to help out.

I understand we need to play kids more now, and that will help them to develop. I realize they will make some mistakes. But I have a huge problem with kids not sprinting or not giving 100%. And three times in one game? Did BB not see that and give him an earful?

I am glad you posted this because I was curious about the same thing. I had thought that he had either let up or was out of position live but I wasn't sure. My other concern with Nelson is he seems to play with his head down when attacking with the ball. I know he is young and wants to prove his worth, but that does not me he has to take on every defender.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I am glad you posted this because I was curious about the same thing. I had thought that he had either let up or was out of position live but I wasn't sure. My other concern with Nelson is he seems to play with his head down when attacking with the ball. I know he is young and wants to prove his worth, but that does not me he has to take on every defender.
    I don't think it's Nelson's technique that's in question. It's his decision making.

Kid better learn fast, before he heads down Ballou Tabla/Hanson Boakai route
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I don't think it's Nelson's technique that's in question. It's his decision making.

Kid better learn fast, before he heads down Ballou Tabla/Hanson Boakai route
    He got pushed off the ball like he’s made of wet paper towel too. NYRB are a physical team but be needs to stand up to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I think it’s that he doesn’t know where to go, or perhaps when to go where, defensively. Bob commented on him over committing earlier in pre season. Guessing what we saw on Saturday was him being scared of over committing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    Was at the game...what a absolute s.hitshow. Horrendous defending and the field was crap.

The third goal was the back breaker...we have the corner and then a complete comedy of errors and a 50 yard breakaway. What were they ALL doing on the play?

Shaffleburg was garbage....Nelson, ffs...every single damn time trying to dribble and loses it... Bradely is slow as molasses and cannot play at this level but his dad is the coach so we know he'll play even more...

Poz was bad...and it pains me to say it as I really like him.

Bono-ffs, we cleaned house and he is STILL here?

I know some say its just one game...but that was really really bad. They also missed two sitters in the second...a fair score would have been maybe 5 or 6-1. Shameful.

Why Bradely was hired is shocking...enough of hiring these clueless Americans to coach. Let alone the father of someone who shouldn't be playing anymore....

By the time Insigne comes, we will be 25 points out of a playoff spot and attendance collapsed with horrendous efforts like yesterday...many fans were strolling out at the 55 minute mark it was THAT bad.
    All the above. your comment is easily the best after game comment on this thread
    worst entertainment game I have ever been to at BMO field