Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling the kids garbage is harsh. I think it is garbage that so many of them are being forced into spots that some of them aren't ready for though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to play them for them to be ready.

We have NEVER done this before - play the kids.

It's going to be painful but I saw more this week that was worth growing from.

People who want to ditch the kids need to understand this is what most teams do. Good things will come of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me put it another way for you to understand
    Today Bradley was garbage
    But in the 2017 MLS cup Michael Bradley was the opposite of garbage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Let me put it another way for you to understand
    Today Bradley was garbage
    But in the 2017 MLS cup Michael Bradley was the opposite of garbage
    dude the word garbage is kinda harsh.
    [moderator edit]
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-05-2022 at 11:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    You have to play them for them to be ready.

We have NEVER done this before - play the kids.

It's going to be painful but I saw more this week that was worth growing from.

People who want to ditch the kids need to understand this is what most teams do. Good things will come of it.
    I would argue that playing kids before they are ready and in positions they might not be familiar with can cause regression and a lack of confidence from their managers. I have zero problem with playing young players who have earned a spot like Ralph Priso. I do have issues with needing to start 4 or 5 under 21 players because of how thin the roster is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we can say what we want about the young kids,but the vets oso poz,oniel salcedo bradley were poor tonight when your spine sucks you are not going to win many games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    we can say what we want about the young kids,but the vets oso poz,oniel salcedo bradley were poor tonight when your spine sucks you are not going to win many games
    Agreed. That Jimenez goal and Petrasso were the only bright spots today. We gotta chuck this game in the bin and move on. Columbus next week will be tough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Agreed. That Jimenez goal and Petrasso were the only bright spots today. We gotta chuck this game in the bin and move on. Columbus next week will be tough.
    This

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Gahd... I know it sounds sour grapes when you're down 4-1, but Red Bulls are a dirty, CONCACAF-Y team. They headbutt, they elbow, they dive on a breath of contact.
    and exactly this. They also ran through every tackle, that’s why I was asking early was I seeing something and the ref wasn’t. Oso, Poz and Salcedo visibly frustrated, kids were flustered.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a different note. Crowd was good. But beer selection sucks. Just because youre pushing mill street doesnt mean every kiosk has to have only that. Prices seemed higher too, and u can't even pay for 50/50 with cash.
    It's apparent this season will be pre-Insigne and post. May be alot of cheap tix available til June

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    and exactly this. They also ran through every tackle, that’s why I was asking early was I seeing something and the ref wasn’t. Oso, Poz and Salcedo visibly frustrated, kids were flustered.
    I was perfectly fine with solcedo tackle on the red bulls player. I actually cheered it. If ever
    There was a team that deserved it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, I'm done whinging about this game. Someone start the Columbus GDT.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would argue that playing kids before they are ready and in positions they might not be familiar with...
    That is every single youth who starts playing at a level above what they are used to.

Bradley is giving them structure to play within. So far, if they fail, they fail on their own, not because of the structure (unlike last year & under Vanney).

I got serious issues with Michael Bradley - he just isn't good enough to handle teams like NYRB. He'll be OK versus some non press teams that sit back but many will target him. He needs to sit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is every single youth who starts playing at a level above what they are used to.

Bradley is giving them structure to play within. So far, if they fail, they fail on their own, not because of the structure (unlike last year & under Vanney).

I got serious issues with Michael Bradley - he just isn't good enough to handle teams like NYRB. He'll be OK versus some non press teams that sit back but many will target him. He needs to sit.
    The issue I have is we’re trying to bring through too many guys at once. Makes it harder for everyone to learn.

Best situation for these kids is to be anchored in an experienced 11 where they get coaching on the field and it becomes obvious what they should do. Right now, so many things are falling apart I would argue it hurts more than it helps.

Example: I don’t think Henry is a better footballer today for having played in tire-fire TFC sides in his teens. Minutes are necessary but also the right type of experiences

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surreal. It was clear from last week that two central defenders and two fullbacks who are also expected to attack, and by the way, have no experience of being defenders, does not equal a defence. Based on the Dallas game, I predicted a 1-3 defeat, and it was 1-4.

I am not a football genius, but I could see that if you have no defence then you lose the game. You can't play like this unless either/both 1) you have 3 central defenders, and/or 2) you have some defensive midfielders (Delgado, Priso) to cover when the fullbacks go forward.

Michael Bradley was playing too far forward (as playmaker, when that should be Pozuelo) and should have been replaced by Priso after half an hour. Priso can cover the defence better, and plays better low, fast balls forward.

No player played badly. Nelson, Petrasso, Jimenez looked good, But we had no fullbacks for the second game in a row. Everything that happened today was clear from the Dallas game. I believe in the players. This is on Bob Bradley setting up the team to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having 5 subs now is gonna be a great tool to giving minutes to young players. BB did a good thing in giving our two ex-Pacific guys their debuts today in a low pressure situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    This. 1000 times. Bradley looked like he was running in sand. As he always does. That created the odd-man advantage and so of course Morgan was unmarked.
    Love the guy, but he's our weakest link. I believe a lot of these observations about our mids being on top of one another are also due to Bradley's lack of mobility. Agree with portu's comment on our transfer policy. But the focus has been on our lack of experienced wingbacks (I'm guilty of that). What this team lacks most is a #6. I know everyone is high on Priso, and he looks like a guy with a bright future. But I don't think he's ready to marshal a team yet. We need a new 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Shaff might become a fullback some day but he’ll struggle to ever be one in this system. Can’t play out of the back and we badly need that cause of our desire to keep possession.

Bradley looks like he’s done as a starter and maybe just finished period. He is labouring to keep up with play and is a non factor in terms of shielding the back line. A huge issue in a midfield 3. Needs to be addressed immediately.

We have too many people “learning” on the field at the same time. Some of these kids need to sit and we really need some more experienced players.

Getting rid of Auro was a mistake.

One positive: Petrasso.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Imagine a professional club thinking so little of the full-back positions. But hey, at least they're doing UNICEF's work.
    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Yeah can we get Priso on? We have nothing defensively in front of our backline.

Incorrect! The structure BB put up today guaranteed the team to lose, and therefore the young players to lose. individually, the young players were great today. The team was a shit show a la Armas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling the kids garbage is harsh. I think it is garbage that so many of them are being forced into spots that some of them aren't ready for though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Dare I check the stat line and check how many recoveries Priso made in 10 minutes vs Bradley in 80?
    It's clear. Priso has to start ahead of Bradley. again, it was night and day!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of stuff mentioned already. One thing not yet mentioned, and I just confirmed it watching the highlights: Nelson played a role in the first three NYRB goals. On every one, he had an opportunity to save TFC's butt, or at least make it a bit more difficult for NY. And on every one he was in a close position but a bit back from the developing play, so he should have seen how dangerous things were and gotten more involved. But in each case, he chose to jog instead of sprinting to help out.

I understand we need to play kids more now, and that will help them to develop. I realize they will make some mistakes. But I have a huge problem with kids not sprinting or not giving 100%. And three times in one game? Did BB not see that and give him an earful?
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-05-2022 at 09:47 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I have more patience for the kids. Putting so many on at once is a risk for the team and for their development. If your few veterans range from bad to not great at the same time you're playing a bunch of kids, it's a recipe for disaster. I have less patience for them. Thinking of Bradley - Salcedo - Osorio - Pozuelo, while Bono was both hot and cold. Made some great saves, but never a factor in organizing the backline, and distribution is still hit and miss.

Honestly Pozuelo still isn't back to where he was two or more years ago. If he scores and makes it 1-1 when he was in alone on the keeper, it changes the whole game. He also had some weak passes throughout the game. And sometimes he just doesn't offer himself or get open.

For everyone on TFC: against a team like NY who press, and who always try to anticipate the opponent's next pass, you can't afford to make weak passes, or to wait for the ball. And your touch has to be perfectly clean as you receive the ball, as they're just waiting to take it off your foot.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-05-2022 at 09:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hope regarding Priso is that he is still recovering, and that's why he didn't play last week or start this week.

Also if you leave two CBs plus Priso as isolated as they were today (with MB), against a fast opponent, Priso may also struggle. But he's definitely a big step up from MB in that role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t see a way Pozuelo fits in BB’s system. Anyone else? We would need 2 guys hauling ass in a midfield 3 to make it even close to worth having him on the field as he is not gonna successfully win many balls back. And 2 guys hauling ass at close to Matias Laba/Tyler Adams levels, not Marky Delgado levels.

Might be time to move on, and maybe TFC are even planning it themselves but didn’t want to rock the boat too hard in an off-season that already saw so much change in other areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    I'm willing to give him some time to see. There are other guys on this team who have had a lot more time to prove they don't have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's made a couple of smart defensive decisions already, and had one moment of technique (a weak centering pass back to Salcedo) that let him down. Early days. Technique stuff is correctable; intelligent decisions less so, and he's done okay on that front.

Either way, with no one stronger and JMR having a poor game today, he should probably start in the next game.

MOrgan was level there, that should be five.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    My hope regarding Priso is that he is still recovering, and that's why he didn't play last week or start this week.

Also if you leave two CBs plus Priso as isolated as they were today (with MB), against a fast opponent, Priso may also struggle. But he's definitely a big step up from MB in that role.
    Agree.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    I was perfectly fine with solcedo tackle on the red bulls player. I actually cheered it. If ever
    There was a team that deserved it
    Yeah, me too. He was frustrated not as much at the score but the liberties they were taking and basically said … you run over me, I am going to do the same!! and from my viewpoint, i thought yellow was harsh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petrasso was good and the subs were ok. Everything and everyone else was bad. These are the growing pains I was expecting but not at all good to watch

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some players play poorly for whatever reason, say lack of experience, age, etc. I realize emotions are high after a brutal home loss, but terms like "garbage" are never appropriate. Player's families read this board, please be judicious in your use of language.

Personal attacks on other people on this board are also not ok. Posts have been edited/deleted and infractions given. Please keep civil.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-05-2022 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at the game and saw something very different. First of all, Petrasso was a revelation. Secondly, I saw Bradley and Osorio were no where near as bad as the consensus of TV watchers has it - nearly all of our effective play came through them, and in person Bradley looked like he was typically positioned very well to deal with his decline in speed - not all the time, but almost all the time. I had them as our second and third best players on the day. Salcedo confident and assured. Class. On the other hand, Poz was poor. Not even his first touch was good. Jesus made an excellent goal but often had unhelpful runs off the ball. Nelson took WAAY too many touches. JMR was wildly out of position on two possibly three goals - but looked good going forward. O’Neill started well but couldn’t maintain it.
    Crowd very good. Field terrible - could see the Argo lines from December - and bloody cold in the stands.
    As for the Referees: could and should have called the foul on the third goal, which was the game changer. And six minutes of added time, mostly due to VAR on a freezing cold day when it’s 4-1? What is wrong with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley gives amazing high quality forward passes...no one has done it as much as him over the first two games...+ positioning is good and doesnt make dangerous giveaways in his half leading to chances like osorio does...unfortunately proper analysis is not done and its ''hey hes 35 so he cant run so he shouldnt be there'' lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I was at the game and saw something very different. First of all, Petrasso was a revelation. Secondly, I saw Bradley and Osorio were no where near as bad as the consensus of TV watchers has it - nearly all of our effective play came through them, and in person Bradley looked like he was typically positioned very well to deal with his decline in speed - not all the time, but almost all the time. I had them as our second and third best players on the day. Salcedo confident and assured. Class. On the other hand, Poz was poor. Not even his first touch was good. Jesus made an excellent goal but often had unhelpful runs off the ball. Nelson took WAAY too many touches. JMR was wildly out of position on two possibly three goals - but looked good going forward. O’Neill started well but couldn’t maintain it.
    Crowd very good. Field terrible - could see the Argo lines from December - and bloody cold in the stands.
    As for the Referees: could and should have called the foul on the third goal, which was the game changer. And six minutes of added time, mostly due to VAR on a freezing cold day when it’s 4-1? What is wrong with you.
    Who are you calling "TV watchers"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The stat line sees it more like the majority here, I'm afraid. MB had 1 tackle and 1 interception in 79 minutes. Ralph Priso had three tackles and an interception in 11 minutes of playing time. Yeah, he's fresh and the opponents are tired by then, but it's still not a good look.

MB had one key pass in the entire match and completed thirteen fewer total than Osorio. Our passing percentages were pretty good across the pitch but most of them were short.

His only good stats on the day were that he didn't cough the ball up when he had it, whereas Osorio coughed it up six times, and he hit two long passes.

But Osorio was defensively strong, with four tackles and two successful dribbles.

Bradley was a defensive liability against a high pressing team.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/16...York-Red-Bulls