Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Loving the new Twitter.
    LOL, Twellman retweeted it. Fuck TV reporters are stupid. (I mean.... believe me, many many reporters weren't appearing on Mastermind any time soon, but at least in print they usually checked the source.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...arget-28570152

Less than two hours after the Belgium game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...arget-28570152

Less than two hours after the Belgium game.
    After that body of work yesterday, there is a 0% chance he plays another minute for Clubbed Foot. He took his game to another level yesterday. It is nuts to think that only 3 years ago he was playing for Vaughan Azzurri in League 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    After that body of work yesterday, there is a 0% chance he plays another minute for Clubbed Foot. He took his game to another level yesterday. It is nuts to think that only 3 years ago he was playing for Vaughan Azzurri in League 1
    Agree, his progression has been absolutely cuckoo!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-24-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal is going to be absolutely pillaged this upcoming transfer window.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's on top of losing Mihalovic and Wanyama too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    That's on top of losing Mihalovic and Wanyama too
    Yep, with Johnston likely to leave and Miller putting himself on the map. They could go from close to first to worst in a single window since we know Joey hates spending money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yep, with Johnston likely to leave and Miller putting himself on the map. They could go from close to first to worst in a single window since we know Joey hates spending money.
    Don't forget Kone is also poised to leave too.
    Just a matter of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alistair Johnston officially off to Celtic. Nice little move for CFM. Traded some imaginary Garber bucks and made a bunch of real money 12 months later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I thought club foot was going to be unrecognizable next year but sound like that is an understatement. Interested to see how this works out. They are going to be FLUSH with Garber bucks but the pantry is empty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Reply of the day to this matter...

And I am more than ok with it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really wish he was going to a first division league …

Would’ve loved to see him in Serie A, if that was one of the offers on the table.
    Last edited by nick.mastro; 12-04-2022 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    Really wish he was going to a first division league …

Would’ve loved to see him in Serie A, if that was one of the offers on the table.
    Better to go to a Championship League team and play then a 1st division club and be a reserve. If he does well he won't be in Watford long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this article, it says the plan is to join Watford in January and move to Udinese in the summer of 2023.

https://football-italia.net/udinese-and-watford-do-deal-for-montreal-midfielder-kone/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty damn interesting business model for Montreal. They were a cup contender and have made a boatload here.

It'd be interesting to understand the math on Johnston and Mihailovic. I am pretty sure a decent percentage of those guy's fees belong to Nashville and Chicago.

This is your annual reminder that Johnston is a GTA kid who was rejected by the TFC Academy because he was “too small”.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Pretty damn interesting business model for Montreal. They were a cup contender and have made a boatload here.

It'd be interesting to understand the math on Johnston and Mihailovic. I am pretty sure a decent percentage of those guy's fees belong to Nashville and Chicago.

This is your annual reminder that Johnston is a GTA kid who was rejected by the TFC Academy because he was “too small”.
    Nashville apparently gets 10% of any fee over $1m. So, ~$250k going their way.
    https://www.tsn.ca/cf-montreal-acqui...ille-1.1739212

Chicago gets 10% of any fee for Mihailovic. So $600k going their way. https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/montr...ire-tom-bogert
    Last edited by noxx98; 12-04-2022 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Nashville apparently gets 10% of any fee over $1m. So, ~$250k going their way.
    https://www.tsn.ca/cf-montreal-acqui...ille-1.1739212

Chicago gets 10% of any fee for Mihailovic. So $600k going their way. https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/montr...ire-tom-bogert
    Wow. Not much.

The whole league has a lot to learn from Montreal. Not a happy thing to realize, but the facts are what they are.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Not much.

The whole league has a lot to learn from Montreal. Not a happy thing to realize, but the facts are what they are.
    A challenge for the league will be making it so teams can stay competitive even after selling players. Montreal is going to have a huge exodus of talent this offseason. Selling players is a good thing, but I highly doubt Montreal is going to be competitive next year - even if Montreal re-invests into the team with all the new GAM they have (which I doubt they'll do fully). With the current roster rules it's tough for a team to sell multiple starters and be able to be competitive the following season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    A challenge for the league will be making it so teams can stay competitive even after selling players. Montreal is going to have a huge exodus of talent this offseason. Selling players is a good thing, but I highly doubt Montreal is going to be competitive next year - even if Montreal re-invests into the team with all the new GAM they have (which I doubt they'll do fully). With the current roster rules it's tough for a team to sell multiple starters and be able to be competitive the following season.
    This is true. But it depends on what else you are doing.

Just look at us (and Atlanta, and a bunch of others) who spend and spend, without much on field success.

Atlanta and Toronto are in the same hole Montreal is, but have wasted time and money getting into that hole. Montreal made bank and competed well along the way… to wind up in the same place.

Its always about talent evaluation, one way of the other. Montreal has been damn good at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is true. But it depends on what else you are doing.

Just look at us (and Atlanta, and a bunch of others) who spend and spend, without much on field success.

Atlanta and Toronto are in the same hole Montreal is, but have wasted time and money getting into that hole. Montreal made bank and competed well along the way… to wind up in the same place.

Its always about talent evaluation, one way of the other. Montreal has been damn good at it.
    It's probably a good target for TFC and other MLS teams to have transfer tables that look something like Anderlecht. They buy a handful of younger, high potential players each year and flip the successes for profit. Usually their inbound transfer fees are in the 10-20M range, outgoing around 20-30M. No reason MLS teams couldn't be similar (other than complex roster rules and potential difficulty in recruiting players)
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/rsc-and...fers/verein/58

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree re Anderlecht as the model. Or the Portuguese teams.

All those clubs can attract the best kids, because they have credibility when they tell the kid and his parents that they know how to help the kid on his journey. That's something Montreal might be able to say now. We are the club that told Johnston (and Mitrovic and a bunch of others) to buzz off. Our experiment with kids hurt us this year, because of the lack of success.

It¡s depressing. We are NEVER getting a truly top GTA prospect that can be sold to Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sad the last two days we have talked more about Montreal than TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe.
    Perhaps CFM's situation is an anomalous happenstance of circumstances culminating through a World Cup?
    SirMister sure is cashing in his lottery tickets; how Quebecois of him.
    A flip-side view...
    Situation typically being the rug is pulled from underneath a team- clean house- because of a failure to perform.
    This other 'disruptor' suggestion being that it is pulled from underneath the team- clean house- because you have performed?
    Which makes more reasonable sense as a clubs long term business model?
    Given the operational complexities and confines of MLS?
    While disrupting the league, CFM are also disrupting themselves.
    Any reasonable hope for their own club continuity and progression is interrupted; maybe lost.
    What's the point of that from a supporter's viewpoint?
    Imagine if the circumstances were slightly different and TFC decided to enjoy a fire-sale at end of season 2015 or even 2016?
    The equation requires balance.
    I suspect it will be a matter of an ownership's perspective and goal.
    A business motto of 'Re-Build Due To Success' does not calculate for me.
    There absolutely 'is' a fine line between a 'winning' or an 'entertaining' business model.
    Between moving one or two prospects a season or another and having annual/biennial/triennial clearance auctions.
    Also agree with JPL- Anderlecht as a study case, apart from this season so far.
    As well as several PL clubs; say Porto, Sporting and Benfica?
    BTW, Portugal outright owns this aspect of the Transfer Market Place.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevepr...h=2f8590af6690
    These examples may be perennial domestic league and international contenders yes.
    Yet, other than within their own domestic leagues...
    When is the last time that they really competed and won a club International; a Euro Championship League?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-05-2022 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree re Anderlecht as the model. Or the Portuguese teams.

All those clubs can attract the best kids, because they have credibility when they tell the kid and his parents that they know how to help the kid on his journey. That's something Montreal might be able to say now. We are the club that told Johnston (and Mitrovic and a bunch of others) to buzz off. Our experiment with kids hurt us this year, because of the lack of success.

It¡s depressing. We are NEVER getting a truly top GTA prospect that can be sold to Europe.
    Hopefully that's changing now - we have Nelson and JMR playing minutes and potentially moving to Europe. Priso got time with us. Shaff picked us coming out of high school in the US. We had a lot of misses at the youth level (Johnston and Buchanan are great examples). Hopefully this is getting fixed now with different staff in place compared to 5+ years ago, but its a hard reputation to break. Having a few case studies to show potential youth players are important. A path to the first team and commitment to youth development, willingness to transfer players abroad when the situation is right, and support for players who maybe aren't cut out for it but will learn and develop. From a total outsider it seems we're not there yet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am VERY leery of operational models that are based on 1 year or less then 4 players.

In the last 7 years, I've seen these teams offerred as the "model for the future"

Seattle
    Toronto
    Vancouver
    Atlanta
    LAFC
    NYRB
    Columbus
    SKC

now Montreal

Only Seattle has had some sustainability

Success in this league is more based on GM & President capability then "approach"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point re Shaff. The one that got away. Not too sure about the others. Nelson, maybe. JMR, I have never seen it on the pitch.

There is a big difference between development and minutes played. Montreal had both for young Canadians. TFC had only the latter, and we all know now that, as it turns out, our young Canadians were just cheap placeholders for expected reinforcements. No WC calls or transfers here…

Development was what Oso got here btw. He earned his way into a talented lineup.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-05-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I am VERY leery of operational models that are based on 1 year or less then 4 players.

In the last 7 years, I've seen these teams offerred as the "model for the future"

Seattle
    Toronto
    Vancouver
    Atlanta
    LAFC
    NYRB
    Columbus
    SKC

now Montreal

Only Seattle has had some sustainability

Success in this league is more based on GM & President capability then "approach"
    I buy your point. But I think we have very much become a selling league.

I guess I would amend to say, Montreal is winning, by a mile, the early innings of that new game.

Your point that it is not enough to declare them victors of the game does seems right.

The Anderlecht/Portuguese conversation is where we need to go. There are going to be 2-3 of those teams in MLS. Who will they be?

I think, if we want to seriously address this, we have to buy Sigma. Or something similar.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-05-2022 at 08:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Montreal’s strategy is a “play the cards you have” situation. We have better options at our disposal. For every year Porto makes a run a deep run in CL, the Barca, Man City, and others mega-clubs of the world make 4.

I think our issue is really a lack of identity beyond high priced talent. And also questions if the management team can actually execute on the vision in the manner required to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I think, if we want to seriously address this, we have to buy Sigma. Or something similar.
    Wholeheartedly!
    At the moment... more likely?
    'Or something similar'.
    Seems SirMister has in the recent past and may already again be entertaining the notion...
    Excuse the pun, to 'Forge', such a possible tenuous relationship.
    Seems CLM may have considered Bobby Smyrniotis only to engage Wilfred Nancy as manager.
    Seems SirMister vetoed the selection because of his lack of French.
    Now supposedly the once CFM manager candidate may be under serious consideration again.
    Makes sense in a developmental- buy/sell model.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-05-2022 at 09:56 AM.