Page 96 of 193 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Our new signings seeing some Toronto celeb action. MLSE probably putting out the red carpet with connections in full force.

was weeknd party at hotel in yorkville and at drake's after -prob why sandler and arnold were there

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Herein lies why we’ve been shit for two years and our current problem (MB, Mavinga, GK, the backline):

“When Seattle have been ready to transition guys out of core status, the replacement has always been lined up and ready to slot in. It’s hard to do that – it takes a degree of ruthlessness as well as clear-eyed talent assessment – but it’s necessary in order to keep the train rolling.”

The MAK move however does embody the not-skimping on your spine principle. Still, a massive overpay especially with more glaring holes to address (which seem to be actively overlooked).
    We are constantly losing the battle in the midfield - there isn't even a battle to be had in most cases. MAK does address a defensive need; it's just higher up the pitch.

I think once the team had settled in other part of the pitch I think people would have appreciated what he had to offer. he was essentially a Mavinga upgrade, but I think a lot of us wrongfully thought he was a Drew Moor type addition (which he clearly isn't)

That CB leader position is not an easy one to fill. Not many out there to begin with and not many of the ones out there are available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herein lies why we’ve been shit for two years and our current problem (MB, Mavinga, GK, the backline):

“When Seattle have been ready to transition guys out of core status, the replacement has always been lined up and ready to slot in. It’s hard to do that – it takes a degree of ruthlessness as well as clear-eyed talent assessment – but it’s necessary in order to keep the train rolling.”

The MAK move however does embody the not-skimping on your spine principle. Still, a massive overpay especially with more glaring holes to address (which seem to be actively overlooked).
    MAK falls into the not skimping on your spine principe but at the expense of the development path principle. That’s never been our strength but Priso was the future D midfield developmental hope. Though, via a combination of coaching decisions and bad injury luck, he played in place of Micheal Bradley only once.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 07-11-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    MAK falls into the not skimping on your spine principe but at the expense of the development path principle. That’s never been our strength but Priso was the future D midfield developmental hope. Though, via a combination of coaching decisions and bad injury luck, he played in place of Micheal Bradley only once.
    Priso has potential but I think what BB wants from a midfielder is different than who Priso is as a player. And since we’re on the path to finding players that fit into this system decisions had to be made.

I wouldn’t mind if we sold a few more guys, to be honest. Not sure what hope Shaffelburg or some others have of getting playing time once the roster adjustments are done, given they’ll have both vets and other rookies ahead of them. But I would hope someone else sees the potential and takes a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    We are constantly losing the battle in the midfield - there isn't even a battle to be had in most cases. MAK does address a defensive need; it's just higher up the pitch.

I think once the team had settled in other part of the pitch I think people would have appreciated what he had to offer. he was essentially a Mavinga upgrade, but I think a lot of us wrongfully thought he was a Drew Moor type addition (which he clearly isn't)

That CB leader position is not an easy one to fill. Not many out there to begin with and not many of the ones out there are available.
    You’re right, but with MLSE spending power, why hasn’t it happened already?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Because they are hard to find.

In 2015 we had Seba, Jozy and MB4 signed. We also had 6 CB, including Kantari, Perquise, Josh Williams all trying to be that CB leader.

it was only until 2016 that we finally landed Drew Moor, who became a free agent and signed for us - it had nothing to do with spending and everything to do with timing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because TFC can offer a lot of money doesn't automatically mean players will want to come to MLS or even Toronto. The player acquisitions here aren't as straight forward as in Europe. There's also limits to how much can be spent too. At some point you have to land players below the max threshold and if your max is $625K the field who will come over is lower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Priso has potential but I think what BB wants from a midfielder is different than who Priso is as a player. And since we’re on the path to finding players that fit into this system decisions had to be made.

I wouldn’t mind if we sold a few more guys, to be honest. Not sure what hope Shaffelburg or some others have of getting playing time once the roster adjustments are done, given they’ll have both vets and other rookies ahead of them. But I would hope someone else sees the potential and takes a look.
    To be honest I think Priso is gone in at least a couple years to Europe, while MAK is a ready made player that will help us compete at the top for the next 4-5 years.

On the topic of centre backs, TFC have historically outspent every team in the league on them, it's definitely not a lack of spending money that TFC has tried to fill this hole.

Quality MLS centrebacks are typically developed within the domestic pyramids, and only start reaching their potential much later than those in EU or SA. The free agent market for a quality CB is almost non existent for MLS teams, you either find a diamond in the rough, pay DP wages, or develop domestically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about going after Dybala on TAM, and scouring TM for a Centerback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EL DUQUE'----' View Post
    How about going after Dybala on TAM, and scouring TM for a Centerback.
    Imagine a player starting the summer wanting €7M net from UCL teams and ending the summer making $1.5M in MLS. LOL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

per michael singh, bernardeschi deal to be done as early as tomorrow, announced by the end of the week

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was Bob I would ask my guy about any CBs from Poland interested in moving abroad. After that, take a peek at the Russian & Ukrainian leagues for a bargain. There's bound to be some good ones out there to be found but will require a solid sift.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Just because TFC can offer a lot of money doesn't automatically mean players will want to come to MLS or even Toronto. The player acquisitions here aren't as straight forward as in Europe. There's also limits to how much can be spent too. At some point you have to land players below the max threshold and if your max is $625K the field who will come over is lower.
    Resourcing is not just pay player a shit ton of money. It’s also pay scouts and your front office to a do good and efficient job.

Finding decent players that fit in the cap is hard, but finding them should be easier when you have a large bankroll to pay people to find them. Not to mention the ability to use discretionary TAM, significantly increases flexibility. Or that the resourcing allows you to make more convincing pitches (facilities, city, lifestyle, staffing, player welfare) to players than the average team shopping in the 400k-1.5m range. Or that you have world class players, like Insigne, to frame the optics of the club.
    Last edited by portu; 07-11-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resourcing is not just pay player a shit ton of money. It’s also pay scouts and your front office to a do good and efficient job.

Finding decent players that fit in the cap is hard, but finding them should be easier when you have a large bankroll to pay people to find them.
    This is exactly my thoughts. Why does TFC seem to have such a hard time identifying talent outside of DPs? You would think a solid investment in scouting would have brought results, instead, as was pointed out, we invest tons of money, to no avail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just noticed Keita Balde is represented by the same guys as Bernardeschi. If TFC want another attacker on TAM, they could do much worse. Free agent who last played for Cagliari at around €1M last season. Ton of experience but is somehow still only 27. Similar profile to JJ in that he can play out wide or through the middle (or with another striker).

They could then flip Akinola for in-MLS defensive help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the topic of Priso going to Europe… it has been the absolute received wisdom over the years here at various times that each of Nana Attakora, Doneil Henry, Jay Chapman and Jordan Hamilton were all “going to Europe”.

Three of the four made it, but only one of them “made it to Europe” the way we meant it!

It is a really hard thing to do once you hit 21. You kind of need to do it at 19 or 20. Priso has a pretty limited window here.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is exactly my thoughts. Why does TFC seem to have such a hard time identifying talent outside of DPs? You would think a solid investment in scouting would have brought results, instead, as was pointed out, we invest tons of money, to no avail.
    I mean, we can’t even recognize talent when it’s right in front of us. Pat Onstad, the former national keeper and now Houston GM, was our head of scouting when we passed on both Tajon Buchanan and Walker Zimmerman in the draft, and chose Griffin Dorsey instead.

Not only that, he signed Dorsey when he went to Houston. He hasn’t looked any better there, really, although he does see game time.

Baffling, how up their own asses these guys can get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless they’re not investing in scouting or they don’t listen to their scouts or MLSE is not investing in the front office at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the argo president doesnt bargain hunt,because they are a big club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I mean, we can’t even recognize talent when it’s right in front of us. Pat Onstad, the former national keeper and now Houston GM, was our head of scouting when we passed on both Tajon Buchanan and Walker Zimmerman in the draft, and chose Griffin Dorsey instead.

Not only that, he signed Dorsey when he went to Houston. He hasn’t looked any better there, really, although he does see game time.

Baffling, how up their own asses these guys can get.
    He was around for the Zimmerman draft but he was long gone by the time Buchanan was drafted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    He was around for the Zimmerman draft but he was long gone by the time Buchanan was drafted
    Yeah, I’m getting my dates mixed up. He was at Columbus before both, I think.

Either way, we haven’t ever seemed to have had a priority list of players that was solid enough to make quick, opportunistic changes, and we’ve missed sooo many Canadian prospects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, I’m getting my dates mixed up. He was at Columbus before both, I think.

Either way, we haven’t ever seemed to have had a priority list of players that was solid enough to make quick, opportunistic changes, and we’ve missed sooo many Canadian prospects.
    wasnt that curtis that passed on tajon and st clair to draft dorsey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Yup. That was another Curtis blunder.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis is a fucking clown. smh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Curtis is a fucking clown. smh.
    I can't think of a person who caused more damage to TFC. Maybe Winter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Sounds about right to me.

My favourite part of this whole saga was Manning (or Curtis, can’t remember which one) describing the justification for drafting Dorsey shortly after draft day. They launch into what great leadership qualities the kid has and how he gave some sort of “remember the titans” speech in the combine interviews. Forget that he had a worse record in NCAA than the two Canadians on the board and a worse camp.

We drafted soccer Rudy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I can't think of a person who caused more damage to TFC. Maybe Winter?
    Mo Johnston. That was like half a decade of futility. But then again you could say Tom Anselmi who’s ineptitude allowed Johnston to stick around for so long.

Outside of those two, nobody even comes close.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interview with Andrea D'Amico (translated -15:21) https://www.sportmediaset.mediaset.i...-per-ora.shtml

AG. INSIGNE: 'NORTH AMERICA IS THE FUTURE, MORE BIG GUYS WILL COME TORONTO'

"The inclusion of Insigne in Toronto is going well, we had an incredible reception with a city blocked by the arrival of only one player." This was said by Andrea D'Amico, Lorenzo Insigne's agent, who spoke at La Politica nel pallone on Gr Parlamento. "It felt like we were in Mergellina, there are so many fans following our championship. There is a great enthusiasm that also pervaded Mimmo Criscito when he arrived a few days later," he added. "Insinge is still as a national team? I think so, our championship may seem more performing but remember that Canada will go to the World Cup and we won't. Lorenzo can come in handy to Mancini, with whom he spoke before going to Canada," D'Amico said. "Bernardeschi? More Italians will arrive here in the MLS, but I don't want to get unbalanced about the operations until they are done. I can say that other important players will come," he said again. "The future of world football is in North America, which we remember will host the World Cup in 2026 and if Italy qualifies they should play right in Toronto. The economic availability is important and we remind you that American properties have also bought more than 9 Italian teams between Serie A and B," he explained. Looking at the Italian market, D'Amico talked about the Dybala and Koulibaly cases. "Dybala will eventually have to settle for a square and a lower salary than expected," he said of the Argentine. "Koulibaly? The feeling is that he will try to expire, otherwise a player would never have said no to Juventus. Osimhen? The squares where you can go are few, in England at Bayern or the big names in Spain I would say," he said. Finally, according to D'Amico "before or later we will get to create an international Super League and become the NBA of football. I realize there are so many nostalgics, but the system is anachronistic."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What an utterly inappropriate analogy. We'll become a global super league... like the NBA. MLS more international than the NBA. When people are hyping money, they really will spout any babble that keeps the conversation going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/Csalcedojr

¿Que número elegirían?