RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I wonder what we're going to give up
    to get MAK.

Better not be Osorio or Priso. Shaff would tick me off too.
    his game is simple but effective and he'll get better.
    They're specifically looking for youth and I hope it's not Priso either but it probably will be. If we get away with something like Okello+attacker+700-800k funny money, we praise up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If you only care about the soccer side.... I think the odds of this working out are low, fellow TFC fans. There is a reason teams don't create these "ethnic enclaves". It has a high probability of creating a caste system in the room. When I think of versions of this that do work, it's with a very focused player development/resale rationale, and truly deep expertise in that national culture (eg the Jorge Mendes thing at Wolves)

I am ever more amazed at the spend authorized at TFC, which is I guess about to be north of a USD$100M commitment for two Italian players that are not that well known outside of Italy. This is "insane", by any analysis of other successful MLS teams, even given the big rise in spend league-wide recently.

I guess the other side of it is that it's "revolutionary" I guess that's possible, I mean who knows. But I'd feel a lot better about the odds of that if the leader of this revolution were Leiweke, not Tanenbaum.

I guess Larry is in total control here, and the Bogers suits aren't looking at this (this totally surprises me).... it could be interesting if/when they do.
    Lol nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    You guys are right.. he’s class that can’t get an offer in Europe in his prime… no team in CL offered him a contract even close to what we offered him. He priced himself out of the market based on he played at Juve and won euro as he was on 4 million euros net. So yeah I think people that have more knowledge about him see what I see.

he played with the following players in no particular order. Chiesa, Dybala, Ronaldo, Higuain, Valhovic. And he got 12 goals and 24 assists in 183 games over 5 years. I’m not saying he won’t be a good addition to this team. All I’m saying is a lot of you guys think just because he’s coming to the MLS he’s going to cake walk through this league. I know a few players who came from Europe that played in this league and they all told me this league is a lot more difficult then the average fan thinks.

remember these players are coming from leagues and teams were the skill and tactical knowledge are ingrained in them since they were a kid. They come here the skill is lower and the tactical knowledge is lower and is a lot more physical. It’s a very difficult change for a lot of players and not all of them can adept. Not to talk about travel or playing surfaces.

In a perfect world he would be an ideal TAM signing (meaning he would be the 4th-6th highest paid player on the team) but this league is not at the point with the salary cap
    Bernardeschi on TAM. TAM!!! Common! Are you serious??!. I just can’t even…
    Even if he stinks when he gets here, he’s still not even heard of Toronto FC for TAM.
    Jeezus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    you missed the point. The gist is he should not be the second highest paid player on the team between 4-6th highest sure.
    Given that the fall off from 3 to 4 is a spending line that goes from as much as you want all the way down to 1.6 million max, I am unsure exactly what you expect from a TAM signing?

JJ is a great TAM signing not even max TAM.
    VV was a fluke just like Gareth Bale is fluke for LA. One of those lottery TAM signings and everyone expects the moon from TAM players.

I know you don't believe that bernardeschi is worth a DP spot. That is a perfectly fine thing to believe right now. To say that he would be a great TAM signing is a bit ludicrous. He would never ever come here for TAM. If that is your line of thinking, just stop at he is not worth a DP spot. Trying to fit a player like bernardeschi into MLS's byzantine rules as anything other than a DP doesn't work since there isn't another bucket that he fits into. It was always DP or no go.

Even a play like Ruidiaz is a roughly 40 million dollar investment, and he wasn't a guaranteed success. I will reiterate no one comes to MLS without questions, and without money. Generally the more the money the fewer the questions.

For a euro like FB we can't get a guy with a perfect radar. Those guys just don't come at 28 no matter how much money you offer. For a young SA player the transfer is BIG, and the questions are all related to growth, potential, and acclimatization.

So we end up with a guy who is a good enough footballer to start lots of games for Juventus, but he has a horrible goal scoring record there. That is the risk we take.

Will he come here and re-find/find his scoring boots? That is the eternal question. Given the number of players who completely wrote off Jozy not because of his injuries, but because of his shit scoring record in the prem, and I am not sure where to land on the whole will he won't he thing.

I will always choose hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I wonder what we're going to give up
    to get MAK.

Better not be Osorio or Priso. Shaff would tick me off too.
    his game is simple but effective and he'll get better.
    I’d prefer Shaff going than Priso. Not sure Bradley will play Shaff on the wing and I don’t want to wait through a season and a half of mistakes at the back while he learns a new position. Better he go where he can be effective immediately. Of course, not sure Priso has Bradley’s confidence either but for me he’s the more interesting player. Osorio going I don’t see, and it would more than tick me off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Given that the fall off from 3 to 4 is a spending line that goes from as much as you want all the way down to 1.6 million max, I am unsure exactly what you expect from a TAM signing?

JJ is a great TAM signing not even max TAM.
    VV was a fluke just like Gareth Bale is fluke for LA. One of those lottery TAM signings and everyone expects the moon from TAM players.

I know you don't believe that bernardeschi is worth a DP spot. That is a perfectly fine thing to believe right now. To say that he would be a great TAM signing is a bit ludicrous. He would never ever come here for TAM. If that is your line of thinking, just stop at he is not worth a DP spot. Trying to fit a player like bernardeschi into MLS's byzantine rules as anything other than a DP doesn't work since there isn't another bucket that he fits into. It was always DP or no go.

Even a play like Ruidiaz is a roughly 40 million dollar investment, and he wasn't a guaranteed success. I will reiterate no one comes to MLS without questions, and without money. Generally the more the money the fewer the questions.

For a euro like FB we can't get a guy with a perfect radar. Those guys just don't come at 28 no matter how much money you offer. For a young SA player the transfer is BIG, and the questions are all related to growth, potential, and acclimatization.

So we end up with a guy who is a good enough footballer to start lots of games for Juventus, but he has a horrible goal scoring record there. That is the risk we take.

Will he come here and re-find/find his scoring boots? That is the eternal question. Given the number of players who completely wrote off Jozy not because of his injuries, but because of his shit scoring record in the prem, and I am not sure where to land on the whole will he won't he thing.

I will always choose hope.
    Intuitive, nuanced. I like this butter your spreading. Pass me the bread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Since you mentioned Ruidiaz … he was/is not a 40M investment. He came on a 7M transfer and was making 2M initially. Commitment was 15M. On the back of success, Ruidiaz now makes 3M.

That is an interesting example of risk/reward to compare to what TFC have done and is doing. That deal looks very similar to Soteldo's. Or Pozo, but Pozo cost almost 2x that, TFC committed 25M for Pozo.

The Ruidiaz fee was one of the higher transfers paid by a non-TFC team over the last 5 years btw. For which the Sounders have received 55 goals since mid 2018, an MLS Cup clinching goal, and the winning goals in the CCL final.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-08-2022 at 06:50 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Intuitive, nuanced. I like this butter your spreading. Pass me the bread.
    FYI, I’m pretty sure Goodson’s point is that in a perfect world Berna would be the 4th to 6th highest paid player on the team. Meaning the salary cap would raise to accommodate it, not that he thinks Berna should accept 1.5mil or anything close.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Since you mentioned Ruidiaz … he was/is not a 40M investment. He came on a 7M transfer and was making 2M initially. Commitment was 15M. On the back of success, Ruidiaz now makes 3M.

That is an interesting example of risk/reward to compare to what TFC have done and is doing. That deal looks very similar to Soteldo's. Or Pozo, but Pozo cost almost 2x that, TFC committed 25M for Pozo.

The Ruidiaz fee was one of the higher transfers paid by a non-TFC team over the last 5 years btw. For which the Sounders have received 55 goals since mid 2018, an MLS Cup clinching goal, and the winning goals in the CCL final.
    Not that the logic here isn't solid, but Pozuelo contributing 26/24 for his 'price' isn't awful considering pandemic years. I have a feeling your example is the outlier, not the norm.

And high risk high reward is fine by me honestly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Papers are reporting it now... this does raise the question of the old tight ship but I have a feeling the answer is 'they want us to know'.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you translate and of course i do not know the literal Italian. That says “will sign”. I do think this is going to happen and maybe MLSE already have him over here to surprise us tomorrow. But if I am Bernie’s agent, I am saying there is a little more juice i can squeeze.

If he is signed, does MLS require that it is immediately announced?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    If you translate and of course i do not know the literal Italian. That says “will sign”. I do think this is going to happen and maybe MLSE already have him over here to surprise us tomorrow. But if I am Bernie’s agent, I am saying there is a little more juice i can squeeze.

If he is signed, does MLS require that it is immediately announced?
    I think if there's an opportunity for PR and showiness, MLS will hold off and wait for the nice pictures and fancy graphics that TFC provide.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think if there's an opportunity for PR and showiness, MLS will hold off and wait for the nice pictures and fancy graphics that TFC provide.

Yeah, I am hoping that is what it is, in reality I was hoping he was in town already and completed his medical and on the field today with the team… of well, wait that’s Miami i am thinking of.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reality tells me it's probably July 23rd for a huge deal on Insigne+Bernie

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw… I don’t get the saltiness here among everyone, we will be better and new coaches get some time.

i would have liked announcements on the 7th. (I actually think its a failure on Manning’s part that we didn’t).

This gets exacerbated by Plan “A” not happening with Insigne starting tomorrow and exposed for what it is. One maybe two announcements this week, well its Friday…. Hope he doesn’t look like two week Curtis.

I am happy to have him surprise us.

Most importantly, I don’t want to give San Jose or Chicago any points …we cannot afford to. Salcedo needs to stay until we have replacements and I think he will. I have no idea what the lineup will be but we are going to need the soccer gods on our side.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 07-08-2022 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    FYI, I’m pretty sure Goodson’s point is that in a perfect world Berna would be the 4th to 6th highest paid player on the team. Meaning the salary cap would raise to accommodate it, not that he thinks Berna should accept 1.5mil or anything close.
    Sorry, no. He specifically mentioned he would be the perfect TAM signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for Carlos. Comes to MLS for a few months to be the highest paid defender here and then jumps back to Mexico to be the highest paid defender there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Good for Carlos. Comes to MLS for a few months to be the highest paid defender here and then jumps back to Mexico to be the highest paid defender there.
    Do we just ask for a nominal fee? This seems like a no brainer to do and it makes Carlos happy to go back to his family.

I think you probably ask for a mil or even less, take that DP spot, and run the heck away. Because we technically didn't buy him, that money converts right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alessio Romagnoli + FB + Magnificent + Mimo + Kaye = MLS CUP, CL!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Sorry, no. He specifically mentioned he would be the perfect TAM signing.
    Ask him yourself and read all his posts. It’s nuanced, but it’s there. He says he would be a perfect TAM singing if the budget was significantly higher.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Have to tell you that Romaglioni is going to Lazio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    One can dream 😁

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we just ask for a nominal fee? This seems like a no brainer to do and it makes Carlos happy to go back to his family.

I think you probably ask for a mil or even less, take that DP spot, and run the heck away. Because we technically didn't buy him, that money converts right?
    Since he's a DP I don't think we get any GAM from selling him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post

Have to get into the playoffs first, San Jose and Chicago are bottom of the table and we just made Miami better. Going to need a stronger roster for tomorrow and Wednesday, let alone next week with Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The next 2 games are a battle for the young guys to prove to the coaching staff that they will get minutes after the arsenal arrives. The rest will be fodder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wild guess for our new CB is John Brooks. German/American, currently out of contract. Hasn't been involved in the USMNT the past few windows but is likely looking to get back into the team for the World Cup. Has been a consistent starter for Wolfsburg the past few years. https://www.transfermarkt.us/john-an...spieler/124732

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Ask him yourself and read all his posts. It’s nuanced, but it’s there. He says he would be a perfect TAM singing if the budget was significantly higher.
    If it is so nuanced that I have to closely read multiple posts and use context from those posts to reinterpret clear English sentences, then the communication is too obtuse for forums.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    My wild guess for our new CB is John Brooks. German/American, currently out of contract. Hasn't been involved in the USMNT the past few windows but is likely looking to get back into the team for the World Cup. Has been a consistent starter for Wolfsburg the past few years. https://www.transfermarkt.us/john-an...spieler/124732
    if we're getting rid of Salcedo, a DP CM is back on the table, is it not? I wouldn't be opposed though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we're getting rid of Salcedo, a DP CM is back on the table, is it not? I wouldn't be opposed though.
    Yeah for sure. Looking at current free agents there isn't a clear high level CM that we would be interested (no Italians or Americans). Maybe we'd be open to paying a transfer fee for someone though