Page 5 of 193 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could be out there trying to plug holes with Dom Dwyer type signings. I'm glad we haven't hemmed ourselves in financially to get what we really need when it's available (summer transfer window is always better than the winter). If the team was run like the past few years, we'd have Dwyer, Mullins and Kei Kamara up front, a midfield anchored by Warren Creavalle and Collen Warner and Dan Gargan at both left and right fullback, with no financially flexibility to change it until 2024.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm fine seeing BB working with what he has through mid-May, then having a better idea of where the gaps are and getting Manning to purchase players in the summer transfer window. We didn't seriously think this team was going to be in any sort of contention before Insigne got here, did we?
    This is what I expected. We give the kids a few months to prove they are worthy to continue in the position. If not we have a window in July to address major concerns.

It's hard to say what will happen because the sample size is just too small to really say anything.

One thing I can see happening in July is JMR and Petrasso fighting for one of the WB spots and Shaffelberg playing second fiddle to someone we bring in to fill the other WB spot. I just don't think Shaf can make this transition. He just looks completely out of his element on defence. Something I'm only able to see live at BMO was Salcedo being forced to over manage him all game in every scenario possible on Saturday.

When/If JMR gets sold at the end of the year, hopefully Petrasso would have solidified a spot for 2023. Shaff would end up dropping in depth chart.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder if there is any short term help the Reds could pick up out of Russia now that FIFA is letting players suspend their contracts until June.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...appeal-6767428

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    One thing I can see happening in July is JMR and Petrasso fighting for one of the WB spots and Shaffelberg playing second fiddle to someone we bring in to fill the other WB spot.
    I do wonder about this. I have noticed a few comments seeming to suggest wingbacks are interchangeable from left to right. But this isn’t really true. You can’t play an effective wingback role on your off foot. Sure, further up the pitch inverted wingers can be effective, but on the back line it doesn’t work. In the past we played Richie and Auro at left back a little. But that was out of both a lack of options, and a way to get them both on the pitch. Neither were very effective on the left. We need fullbacks who are fit for purpose. Petrasso looked promising (arguably better than Shaff based on a tiny sample). But I can’t really see Petrasso and JMR competing for the same minutes.

For me, this further points to portu's comments about roster construction.
    Last edited by Gogon; 03-07-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I’m broadly behind the idea of playing the kids, I would say the following needs to be adjusted:

Too many left side players, we’re never going to be able to develop them all, especially with LI arriving in the summer. One of Shaff, Nelson, or Petrasso is probably better developing in a different team.

Priso should be getting more time and Okello needs to play with more of a point (a defined role and a clear measuring stick for performances).

We almost certain need 1-2 acquisitions on the right side. JMR likely to get sold, Kerr still of an unknown quality (maybe better off playing MLS next Pro), Achara not overly convincing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    I do wonder about this. I have noticed a few comments seeming to suggest wingbacks are interchangeable from left to right. But this isn’t really true. You can’t play an effective wingback role on your off foot. Sure, further up the pitch inverted wingers can be effective, but on the back line it doesn’t work. In the past we played Richie and Auro at left back a little. But that was out of both a lack of options, and a way to get them both on the pitch. Neither were very effective on the left. We need fullbacks who are fit for purpose. Petrasso looked promising (arguably better than Shaff based on a tiny sample). But I can’t really see Petrasso and JMR competing for the same minutes.

For me, this further points to portu's comments about roster construction.

At one point towards the end of the first half I noticed Petrasso switched sides. TBH I can't say if anything differed in his play because it caught me off guard. As I said, sample size is too small, but maybe Petrasso is the one that can easily make that switch of sides? So TFC go get a prime LWB and the fight is on the right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    At one point towards the end of the first half I noticed Petrasso switched sides. TBH I can't say if anything differed in his play because it caught me off guard. As I said, sample size is too small, but maybe Petrasso is the one that can easily make that switch of sides? So TFC go get a prime LWB and the fight is on the right?
    Yes he did for sure. I noticed that too. But keep in mind, he was playing up the pitch as a winger at that time. Shaff was still on. And so yes, wingers can do that because they can cut in (a la Insigne, Vela, etc). You’ll notice sometimes for the CMNT Phonzie switches to the right too. But only as a winger up the pitch, never as a right wingback. I will say, I noticed Petrasso made a few nice touches with his right, but he’s still clearly a left-footed player and if his future is at wingback, then he’s destined for the left side of the pitch. (Wingbacks need to be able to slide tackle with their outside foot because you’re defending against a guy who is trying to go around you on the outside and hit in a cross. It’s really difficult to slide tackle with your off foot. The brain just doesn’t want to do it. I don’t believe there is a top fullback in world football playing on their off foot, and I can’t think of one ever actually.)

Again based on the tiny sample, but Petrasso certainly seems to be a versatile player. If he can offer something on the right wing, that is actually a pretty big deal. As many have pointed out on here, we're a bit thin on the right. No one seems content with Achara and Kerr. So Petrasso's cameo out there might have been one of the more encouraging things we saw on the weekend.
    Last edited by Gogon; 03-07-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    Yes he did for sure. I noticed that too. But keep in mind, he was playing up the pitch as a winger at that time. Shaff was still on. And so yes, wingers can do that because they can cut in (a la Insigne, Vela, etc). You’ll notice sometimes for the CMNT Phonzie switches to the right too. But only as a winger up the pitch, never as a right wingback. I will say, I noticed Petrasso made a few nice touches with his right, but he’s still clearly a left-footed player and if his future is at wingback, then he’s destined for the left side of the pitch. (Wingbacks need to be able to slide tackle with their outside foot because you’re defending against a guy who is trying to go around you on the outside and hit in a cross. It’s really difficult to slide tackle with your off foot. The brain just doesn’t want to do it. I don’t believe there is a top fullback in world football playing on their off foot, and I can’t think of one ever actually.)
    I've played as a right footer on the left and it's do-able. This post sums up my experience on this:
    https://runningtheshowblog.wordpress...ooted-tactics/

But it's true, you need a good midfield partner in the middle to work with you on this. Also - my experience isn't at a top level so there was a lot more errors in positioning for me to take advantage of. With that being said, neither is MLS if you are comparing it to world football. I think it could work for Petrasso in the short term and hopefully when we build out the roster a bit more, he is good enough to stick around and maybe inherit that left side again.

too many moving parts to consider though - Criscito actually being signed, if he's not, maybe they do look at buying someone on the right, but only after JMR gets sold. that gives Petrasso the left.

Anyways, all just hypothetical chatter and very early to say anything is for certain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could lead to some opportunities to get some good players in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm fine seeing BB working with what he has through mid-May, then having a better idea of where the gaps are and getting Manning to purchase players in the summer transfer window. We didn't seriously think this team was going to be in any sort of contention before Insigne got here, did we?
    Perhaps I'm expecting too much of a professional club to employ a full-back or two. Even if the stars align and Shaff and JMR instantly figure out a brand new position, where's the depth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our need for a DM has never been more clear. Mlssoccer.com's analysis is pretty much bang on.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/here-...t-the-galaxy-e

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I thought watching the Montreal game provided an interesting contras of midfields. They are flawed too but in different ways (although we both play a slow central mid who sometimes gets exposed). That said, Nancy has fingered out some things with his roster we could learn from.

- For a team that wants to play out of the back having a ball paying keeper is a must. Add it to the list of reasons why Bono is no-go.

- Kone does a job for Montreal nobody on TFC is doing currently. Drop deep, provide an passing option and then move forward with pace. Nothing fancy offensively but he does cover ground and make late runs into the box. Maybe this is a good model for Okello who badly needs a purpose.

- Mihailovic plays a key role in moving the attack forward. The pace and the willingness to be direct are sorely missed on TFC. Sadly my secondary conclusion is that Pozuelo is a serious under performer.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-08-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ I thought watching the Montreal game provided an interesting contras of midfields. They are flawed too but in different ways. That said, Nancy has fingered out some things with his roster we could learn from.

- For a team that wants to play out of the back having a ball paying keeper is a must. Add it to the list of reasons why Bono is no-go.

- Kone does a job for Montreal nobody on TFC is doing currently. Drop deep, provide an passing option and then move forward with pace. Nothing fancy offensively but he does cover ground and make late runs into the box. Maybe this is a good model for Okello who badly needs a purpose.

- Mihailovic plays a key role in moving the attack forward. The pace and the willingness to be direct are sorely missed on TFC. Sadly my secondary conclusion is that Pozuelo is a serious under performer.
    These are all good observations. Only thing is that Okello doesn't look to me like a player to move forward with pace and dribble. He is usually a hold it for 2 seconds and sideways pass it player. I would say use Priso as this but really that's what JMR should be doing. Minus us grooming him for sale as a FB, this is exactly the role he should be learning and doing.

Okello might be able to be groomed into a DM but his passing range and vision need to be extended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    These are all good observations. Only thing is that Okello doesn't look to me like a player to move forward with pace and dribble. He is usually a hold it for 2 seconds and sideways pass it player. I would say use Priso as this but really that's what JMR should be doing. Minus us grooming him for sale as a FB, this is exactly the role he should be learning and doing.

Okello might be able to be groomed into a DM but his passing range and vision need to be extended.
    I agree with you. Okello is not going to do anything fancy taking guys 1v1 or provide killer final balls. However, I think those long strides and ability to cover ground could do wonders.

He just has to pickup the ball cover ground and then lay it off. Think Delgado but much faster. That’s basically what Kone is doing for Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal is not an example to go by...they have been garbage and Nancy is making a lot of bad moves...Kone is not all that either...people just like to hype a 19yo who scored in his first game but in every game hes had really bad periods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is signing an old Italian center back from Genoa that big of a priority?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The word cheat is not exactly something I'm sure I want to hear come from opposing fans.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Is signing an old Italian center back from Genoa that big of a priority?
    OMG. This guys was banned 26 months for match-fixing. Plus he's a 36 yr old centre back deemed expendable by the worst team in the league. Um, yeah. I thought we dodged a bullet there with Criscito's change of heart. But this? Who is running this team? D'Amico? Oh wait...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy with the match fixing history coming to a country where you can't turn right without having a sports betting ad shoved down your throat sounds ideal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is another terrible idea.

Unacceptable that we are 2 games in and the roster is in the state it is. Yet again caught pants down after Criscito jumped ship. How does this keep happening?

The season may be young, but come playoff time and you need the 4/5 points to squeak in, these dropped points matter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s pump the breaks here. Could just as easily be a lazy floated rumour with no actual interest from TFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pretty happy that we fell out of the Criscito sweepstakes that included only us because nobody else would want a 35 year old FB but Masiello is even worse.

It is what it is, we got our one Italian player to appeal to a desired demographic. If we really, really need another then just toss max TAM at Destro. At least he's alright and be done with it. Trotting out the youth movement now only to switch it all over to their parents in July makes no sense if there's a real serious interest in squad building. I'd rather ride the youth and take my 4-1 drubbings than revert to MLS 2.0 roster building.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let’s pump the breaks here. Could just as easily be a lazy floated rumour with no actual interest from TFC
    Could be another agent pumping tires knowing his ancient client will be out work when Genoa goes down.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since Bill went to Italy and we have Insigne that announced as coming and since the whole Criscito thing was legit but fell through, TFC will probably be linked with non stop rumours with every Italian player not in favour with their team or coming out of contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Could be another agent pumping tires knowing his ancient client will be out work when Genoa goes down.
    Well, not just "another agent", his agent is Andrea D'Amico, Manning's consigliere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this latest rumour absolutely smacks of BS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meanwhile, #BelottiWatch is still somewhat on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/Total_TFC

🇬🇭➡️ Toronto FC is reportedly one of several MLS teams interested in signing Afriyie Acquah. The 30 year old central midfielder is a free agent after leaving Al-Batin. He has 42 caps for Ghana, and previously played for multiple Serie A clubs.

#TFCLive

https://t.co/yJ0GsrxjsL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully this guy is somewhat mobile if true. Looks like a defensive minded midfielder.