Page 38 of 193 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am beginning to think that playing alongside Fabian was a big reason Salcedo looked so good in Germany

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im reserving judgment on salcedo until he's had a few games with a backline of senior professionals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    im reserving judgment on salcedo until he's had a few games with a backline of senior professionals.
    me too. we are being shredded from the flanks and that makes his position (and M. Bradley's) very challenging indeed

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    me too. we are being shredded from the flanks and that makes his position (and M. Bradley's) very challenging indeed
    yes, also we are failing to hold possession up the pitch which makes a defenders job so much tougher.

look how many crosses from dangerous positions we had to deal with last game.

that doesnt happen with more experienced (and better) fullbacks, as well as better attackers that hold possession better (insigne and destro as opposed to kerr and nelson).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    yes, also we are failing to hold possession up the pitch which makes a defenders job so much tougher.

look how many crosses from dangerous positions we had to deal with last game.

that doesnt happen with more experienced (and better) fullbacks, as well as better attackers that hold possession better (insigne and destro as opposed to kerr and nelson).
    Fair to say that without MLSE money bringing in these top players in July this club would be an afterthought in Toronto sports, this management group is absolutely woeful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Fair to say that without MLSE money bringing in these top players in July this club would be an afterthought in Toronto sports, this management group is absolutely woeful.
    Disagree. What's being done, had to be done at some time. Their mistake was not starting it last season when Armas was sacked. Could have gotten a jump on it but what they are doing is the right thing by 'trialing' / using the kids until the world's primary window opens.

The alternative to what we're doing now is to do what we did in 2018 to 2020; patch holes with overpriced MLSers like Dwyer, De Leon, & Omar and further delay the inevitable.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Disagree. What's being done, had to be done at some time. Their mistake was not starting it last season when Armas was sacked. Could have gotten a jump on it but what they are doing is the right thing by 'trialing' / using the kids until the world's primary window opens.

The alternative to what we're doing now is to do what we did in 2018 to 2020; patch holes with overpriced MLSers like Dwyer, De Leon, & Omar and further delay the inevitable.
    I don't understand how people can think we can be competitive after the shit season we had last year.
    There is a delusion in the TFC fandom that the team should have been able to gut the team and then rebuild it in 1 transfer window and anything less means they are incompetent.

This is how you build a team - you start by evaluating what you have, once you identify the gaps, you go out and fill them. You can't do that in 1 transfer window - it'll take 2-3 windows to get it right. People need to realize that.

We are in a very good spot right now - 3pts out of a playoff spot. If we can maintain this until reinforcements come in, a decent August and September has us in the playoffs. That's pretty good for a team that just got rid of 18? players in 1 off season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I don't understand how people can think we can be competitive after the shit season we had last year.
    There is a delusion in the TFC fandom that the team should have been able to gut the team and then rebuild it in 1 transfer window and anything less means they are incompetent.
    Even without the gutting we did, to move from a Wooden Spoon candidate to even sniffing the playoffs would be a pretty good improvement but do it with half our starting XI being kids?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People forget how bad 2014 was

&

how not great 2015 was

&

how we were half way through 2016 6 wins 6 losses 5 draws

How we were all so ANGRY after the SJE game in 2016 where we were 2 men up but lost that game due to Bono flubs.

We went on a huge roll after that game.

We basically had 1.5 good seasons & then had the unbeaten in 13 games run to the 2019 MLS cup & the 2020 season.

We are good - but NOT a perennial powerhouse.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-15-2022 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Salcedo is just trying to do too much, trying to justify the DP tag instead of just playing his game. I still think he’ll come good (although that was an exorbitant fee, which MLSE would’ve paid to buy out Soteldo anyway; he fit the need we were looking for, so…)

He’s a good centre half. I”m always a little surprised when players get judged in the isolation of a few months. You don’t become a Mexican international at 28 and play two years in the Bundesliga if you’re a poor player.
    Except he’s no longer in the Mexico team or the Bundesliga. That stuff happens for a reason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Except he’s no longer in the Mexico team or the Bundesliga. That stuff happens for a reason.
    Except he's in MLS and at this level, he is good enough to succeed here.

I think judging our CBs based off our current set up with academy level FBs and no midfield (most of the time) is unfair. I think the judgments should come after the season and should be more weighted on the second half.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team got to this because of bad management, now close your eyes and imagine this rebuild on a San Jose or Portland budget, Impossible right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankfurt wanted him to stay. He followed more money, as far as I can tell.

I think it's more the case that he's an excellent athlete and a good defender but, just like Chris, not a stabilizing, line
    leading personality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankfurt wanted him to stay. He followed more money, as far as I can tell.

I think it's more the case that he's an excellent athlete and a good defender but, just like Chris, not a stabilizing, line
    leading personality.
    Thats consistent with what we are seeing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I am beginning to think that playing alongside Fabian was a big reason Salcedo looked so good in Germany
    Younger Mavinga basically. Lots of talent but needs a
    line leader to rein in impulsivity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats consistent with what we are seeing
    ONeill is similar in that he's much less impulsive but turns off his concentration occasionally, particularly when passing.

Outside of experiential tendencies I'd say McNaughto is very similar to O'Neill; generally good but prone to lapses in concentration.

these guys would probably be doing just fine if crosses Weren't flying in every two minutes, if our wingbacks properly read ball
    movement and pressed quickly instead of going in once their mark was already
    in possession.

That and slowing Some transitions in the midfield and we could stop being battered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    People forget how bad 2014 was

&

how not great 2015 was

&

how we were half way through 2016 6 wins 6 losses 5 draws

How we were all so ANGRY after the SJE game in 2016 where we were 2 men up but lost that game due to Bono flubs.

We went on a huge roll after that game.

We basically had 1.5 good seasons & then had the unbeaten in 13 games run to the 2019 MLS cup & the 2020 season.

We are good - but NOT a perennial powerhouse.
    2014 and 2015 were fine years by me. Bumpy, but fine. There were fundamental issues beyond the roster that had to be overcome. Those fundamental issues should no longer exist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team got to this because of bad management, now close your eyes and imagine this rebuild on a San Jose or Portland budget, Impossible right?
    Team got to this because of not wanting to cut the cord from 2017 and we had a habit of rebounding like in 2019. I get why they were reluctant to abandon it and move on.

And that's not impossible because other teams do it and they do it like were doing right now; bringing up youth and slowly improving. I'm sure they have a lot of guys on their boards also wondering why they haven't won the cup in June but they stick to their plans and they get there. Just takes longer which is why we're lucky MLSE do splash the cash because some people here were going off the rails before April. Imagine if we actually took 3 windows to rebuild. Crazy talk.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team got to this because of not wanting to cut the cord from 2017 and we had a habit of rebounding like in 2019. I get why they were reluctant to abandon it and move on.

And that's not impossible because other teams do it and they do it like were doing right now; bringing up youth and slowly improving. I'm sure they have a lot of guys on their boards also wondering why they haven't won the cup in June but they stick to their plans and they get there. Just takes longer which is why we're lucky MLSE do splash the cash because some people here were going off the rails before April. Imagine if we actually took 3 windows to rebuild. Crazy talk.
    . You’re exactly right and can I ask you who’s decision it was not to cut the cord? We are paying are third highest salary on a 35 year old midfielder who stumbles around more often then not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i mean, yeah.

but this was always part of the plan for the rebuild, so doesn't seem fair to say "without this".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. You’re exactly right and can I ask you who’s decision it was not to cut the cord? We are paying are third highest salary on a 35 year old midfielder who stumbles around more often then not.
    A mix of Bez & Vanney, Curtis & Vanney, then just Curtis are who refused to cut the cord. Manning to blame too for being too far removed from the team and trusting his dumb buddy to handle everything.

As for the 35 year old I assume you mean Bradley and although he isn't one for the future, he's been the best midfielder for us in 2022 so far (and by default because of lack of quality & injuries). By any metric he has been alright though but shouldn't start every match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A mix of Bez & Vanney, Curtis & Vanney, then just Curtis are who refused to cut the cord. Manning to blame too for being too far removed from the team and trusting his dumb buddy to handle everything.

As for the 35 year old I assume you mean Bradley and although he isn't one for the future, he's been the best midfielder for us in 2022 so far (and by default because of lack of quality & injuries). By any metric he has been alright though but shouldn't start every match.
    It’s not fair to criticize the Bradley contract. That was an amazing deal at the time. We all would have screamed if they didn’t do it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not fair to criticize the Bradley contract. That was an amazing deal at the time. We all would have screamed if they didn’t do it.
    Agreed 100%

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never questioned his deal at all. We need him for these kids. Getting them to do all the little things the right way is his department. Only thing I meant is Osorio should be our best midfielder but he's been hurt too long. Either way, I won't criticise Bradley for anything other than playing too many minutes with no rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

English outlets suggesting Junior Hoilett, who is out of contract (although Reading apparently want him back). They're suggesting we might be why he hasn't signed a new deal.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/f...tract-24232969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never questioned his deal at all. We need him for these kids. Getting them to do all the little things the right way is his department. Only thing I meant is Osorio should be our best midfielder but he's been hurt too long. Either way, I won't criticise Bradley for anything other than playing too many minutes with no rest.
    Yes, he has been playing well - has some bad moments, but still contributes a huge amount

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

English outlets suggesting Junior Hoilett, who is out of contract (although Reading apparently want him back). They're suggesting we might be why he hasn't signed a new deal.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/f...tract-24232969
    Interesting. Dont know how they manage the $ but juding from CMNT could be very effective for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. Dont know how they manage the $ but juding from CMNT could be very effective for us.
    They have about 2.8M unallocated that we know of, so a TAM deal is easily within reach. He’s been playing and high-earning a long time. As long it’s what we can afford he might sign. I doubt at 32 and in the Championship that he wants DP money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a ton of TAM/GAM left still. Hoilett might be interested in guaranteed minutes in advance of the World Cup. I wonder if he'd be open to a 6 month contract and hoping to use the World Cup as a spring board to try and get his final big contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Montreal could be in consideration for Hoilett. They have a DP spot available and he would be a cheap-ish DP for them, which Joey would love.