Page 193 of 193 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193
Results 5,761 to 5,785 of 5785
  1. #5761
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...r-sundays-game

    TorSun is speculating Oso may be done with TFC.

    I'm not suggesting it's the case, but if it ever comes out that this was a work-to-rule move because he wouldn't play for Bradley or with Michael, the shit will truly hit the fan.

    It's just the timing of it, so soon after Poz, the fact that he and Delgado led us to within a point of the supporter's shield when Michael was out. If the worst-case scenario (of many) turns out to be true and Michael is seen by other players as a hindrance, he may have just decided he was done with contributing to the problem by making him look good.

    He's also on a contract expiry, so he couldn't ever come out and just say "we have a problem" publicly without being seen as a black sheep by clubs who might want to sign him.

    If he's playing in the friendly for Canada in three weeks, I think it's going to be a hell of a coincidence that the neurological issue disappeared as soon as our schedule did.

    I KNOW, it's very negative speculation.

    But the basis for it is that a) it cannot be comfortable not having a captain you believe you can confide in without the coaching hearing and b) on the few occasions Michael's been out over the last three years, we've played better. In 2020, substantially so.

    Perez could see it, and he benched him. If Ralph Priso doesn't get his heel stomped on by Gustavo Bou (without a card, even) he might have ended the season on the bench. As good as some of his numbers have been this year, most of his major markers outside of the central transition zone have been quite poor.

    I don't want to relitigate how good people think Michael is or isn't. But what is undoubtable is how dominant our central midfield pairing was when he was out. The timing of this illness -- when we're in the midst of wondering if the locker room has any cohesion or unit at all -- is the only reason I'm a little leery.
    The 2020 run was genuinely very lucky.

    We didn't dominate much, just relied on poz being in form of his career.

    And oso already missed an intl break after appearing for tfc, making this speculation just...wrong.

    Oso has been very open about his issue, and it sounds like a horrible ailment, and certainly not something you would want to risk in a dead rubber game.

  2. #5762
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I expect Montreal to replace Mihailovic with Oso. I posted that in the summer, when Mihailovic to Holland was announced, before the Greek transfer rumour.

    Montreal have totally smoked TFC in the CMNT game. No reason to expect it to end now.

    Only way that changes is if we pay up, big time. Which we might.
    0% chance of this happening and shows an ignorance of the MLS rules.

    Only tfc in MLS can offer oso more than a 15% raise.

  3. #5763
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    0% chance of this happening and shows an ignorance of the MLS rules.

    Only tfc in MLS can offer oso more than a 15% raise.
    Seems like an easy rule to get around. Montreal offers TFC $X in GAM. Sign and trade, deal done.

  4. #5764
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Seems like an easy rule to get around. Montreal offers TFC $X in GAM. Sign and trade, deal done.
    Do you think tfc would entertain that? Lol

  5. #5765
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Do you think tfc would entertain that? Lol
    Free money? Yes I do.

  6. #5766
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Free money? Yes I do.
    There's a 0% chance of this happening lol.

    They'd have to use basically half their salary cap on one player lol

  7. #5767
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    There's a 0% chance of this happening lol.

    They'd have to use basically half their salary cap on one player lol
    The salary hit moves with the player. This is a common transaction in other professional leagues in North America. And the reason for it is exactly the same as it would be in MLS: the existing team has the right to pay more but the player isn’t interested in staying.

  8. #5768
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    MLS doesn't operate that way

  9. #5769
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The salary hit moves with the player. This is a common transaction in other professional leagues in North America. And the reason for it is exactly the same as it would be in MLS: the existing team has the right to pay more but the player isn’t interested in staying.
    It's not an MLS thing and won't happen.

  10. #5770
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    MLS doesn't operate that way
    It hasn’t happened yet. Doesn’t mean it won’t.

  11. #5771
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Osorio is not going to mtl folks.

    Yours living in a fantasy world if you think there's even a 1% chance.

    He'll be back here or in Europe.

  12. #5772
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,009
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    shows an ignorance of the MLS rules.
    No it doesn’t. If Oso wants he can go to Montreal or wherever in MLS to get a raise. TFC can always offer a bigger raise, I have said that multiple times.

    Also, this is just an obnoxious way to make a point, please take it elsewhere. I really hate when people do this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  13. #5773
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No it doesn’t. If Oso wants he can go to Montreal or wherever in MLS to get a raise. TFC can always offer a bigger raise, I have said that multiple times.

    Also, this is just an obnoxious way to make a point, please take it elsewhere. I really hate when people do this.
    Yeah, it does.

    There's zero chance of it happening.

    montreal are not offering wanyama a new DP contract despite him being one of their best players at 31 in their best team ever.

    but they are going to do it for oso, who is practically the same age, and a worse player (and more injury prone).

    not to mention that for this to happen tfc would have to offer a contract lower than 1.2 M for it to be even a 1 dollar raise.

    just multiple levels of fantasy involved in this.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 10-09-2022 at 11:58 AM.

  14. #5774
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Yeah, it does.

    There's zero chance of it happening.

    montreal are not offering wanyama a new DP contract despite him being one of their best players at 31 in their best team ever.

    but they are going to do it for oso, who is practically the same age, and a worse player (and more injury prone).

    not to mention that for this to happen tfc would have to offer a contract lower than 1.2 M for it to be even a 1 dollar raise.

    just multiple levels of fantasy involved in this.
    Such certainty with so little actual knowledge of what's going to happen. How arrogant. The rest of us may be wildly speculating, but at least none of us are deluding ourselves into thinking we actually know what's going on.

    For one, Wanyama is making $3.1M this season, and has stated that he won't come back on a non-DP deal.

    For another, they're entirely different sorts of players, and Osorio is Canadian, and Osorio could probably be had for well under full DP money. He's also only just turned 30, so they could get three or four solid years out of him.

    For a third, there are multiple trade mechanisms to get around almost every rule in this league. We just traded Dom Dwyer so another team could cut him. There is not this mythic respect for rigid rules in MLS that you seem to perceive.

    If Oso wanted it and Montreal wanted it, it would happen. That's how MLS works. The only fantasy here is the assumption that none of the various PR narratives put out by this club over the last sixteen years have been dishonest.

  15. #5775
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My judgement on whether BB should stay will very largely rest on who’s contract is NOT extended next week.

  16. #5776
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,092
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    My judgement on whether BB should stay will very largely rest on who’s contract is NOT extended next week.
    Yeah, that's going to say a lot. Another reason why he had to play the kids, if money was tight: we need some continuity when five new starters, minimum, come in next season.

  17. #5777
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I fear our shopping list is too extensive to be completed in these two windows. We need atleast one goalie, two CBs, a RB if Richie leaves again in July, a minimum of two midfielders and a striker.

    Keep in mind not every signing is going to work out.

  18. #5778
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I fear our shopping list is too extensive to be completed in these two windows. We need atleast one goalie, two CBs, a RB if Richie leaves again in July, a minimum of two midfielders and a striker.

    Keep in mind not every signing is going to work out.
    I agree but at this point they’ve dug their own hole. Up to them to fix it.

  19. #5779
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Such certainty with so little actual knowledge of what's going to happen. How arrogant. The rest of us may be wildly speculating, but at least none of us are deluding ourselves into thinking we actually know what's going on.

    For one, Wanyama is making $3.1M this season, and has stated that he won't come back on a non-DP deal.

    For another, they're entirely different sorts of players, and Osorio is Canadian, and Osorio could probably be had for well under full DP money. He's also only just turned 30, so they could get three or four solid years out of him.

    For a third, there are multiple trade mechanisms to get around almost every rule in this league. We just traded Dom Dwyer so another team could cut him. There is not this mythic respect for rigid rules in MLS that you seem to perceive.

    If Oso wanted it and Montreal wanted it, it would happen. That's how MLS works. The only fantasy here is the assumption that none of the various PR narratives put out by this club over the last sixteen years have been dishonest.
    I think tfc are signing mbappe.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 10-09-2022 at 05:03 PM.

  20. #5780
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,746
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I fear our shopping list is too extensive to be completed in these two windows. We need atleast one goalie, two CBs, a RB if Richie leaves again in July, a minimum of two midfielders and a striker.

    Keep in mind not every signing is going to work out.
    Well they should have done better in the last two windows.

    They’ve got just this next window for me.

  21. #5781
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I fear our shopping list is too extensive to be completed in these two windows. We need atleast one goalie, two CBs, a RB if Richie leaves again in July, a minimum of two midfielders and a striker.

    Keep in mind not every signing is going to work out.
    Gk, 2 cbs a DP striker and 2 cms not unrealistic for one window.

    Then probably need 3 more players in the summer.

  22. #5782
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We really gotta hope MLS goes through with this 4th DP idea and keeps the 3 u-22 players for teams that use a DP slot on a young DP. We could sign a guy like Miha Zajc to be our midfield linchpin and use the 4th spot to sign a young striker playing in a lesser European league.

  23. #5783
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not endorsing Josef as a DP here, but Atlanta is equal on the tire fire spectrum atleast.


  24. #5784
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So when do roster decisions start to come out (extensions, etc)?

  25. #5785
    RPB Member
    Moderator

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    18,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •