Page 172 of 193 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,160 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Have we seen enough to be able to say this?

He is a complete unknown to me, but he sure looked like the second coming of Michael Essien in that one game against Leon, which was not that long ago…
    The mention of such a name always makes me always think of... if... when... an African MNT will win the World Cup.
    IIRC, he chose to represent his birth country. Even some 'foreign-borns' have naturalized to represent their ancestral homeland.
    Others, not so much.
    Ghana and Ghanaians. An easy reference case example.
    A few other African countries as well.
    What powerhouses they could be.
    If only the 'world football'in system' wasn't detrimental to such a cause.
    For a host of reasons many African roots footballers chose not to play for their ancestral countries.
    I recently came across what I thought was a twitter post demonstrating an 'ideal' WC Team from Ghana.
    Have not been able to find it again.
    Here is a similar youtube example instead...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/diegocoraok/stat...9NeZWxnBQ&s=19

Any Spanish speakers can translate what he said?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

Haha, I don’t even know yet and already my “it’s overhyped bullshit or someone else would’ve picked it up” detector is going off.

This is from a presser; obvious angles like complaints in pressers are only passed over as stories if they’re overhyped, normally. Could be wrong, of course.

I did catch something in there about passes coming in too forcefully, but man, he speaks way too fast for my pidgin spanish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    puig goal before anything was on jimenez for not following him and then okello for passing it back to him
    Jimenez as in our striker? He's supposed to mark Puig the attacking midfielder at the top of our box? I saw him waltz by the midfield and bradley litterally standing there. If that's on jimenez then what is everyone else's role?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basic defensive principle...jimenez was on him at the start of the play and when puig made a pass and run into the dangerous area jimenez had to follow his player...didnt do so therefore thats the big part...after that pass its actually okello who passes it back to puig...at that point its hard to blame others...if jimenez follows his player or okello actually stops the ball properly instead of giving it back to puig theres no goal there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Sorry to do this again because I know the regulars on this site don’t approve when I agree with your comments but you Sir again ate spot on, I also noticed Bradley on that Phil goal , he offered no resistance, basically a two legged pylon, I am sure Michael will be back on the team next year but if it is not in a severely depleted role then Bob Bradley needs to be shown the door. Your are also correct about Oso his Dream of playing in Europe is long gone and if they pay him DP money as someone above suggests , then it is time for a inquiry as to what is going on here. I have no words to express how ludicrous giving DP money to Oso would be
    thanks Sec 223. yeah it would be crazy to give Oso DP money. No word of a lie, we could get 6 guys from dinamo zagreb (going to the CL) from their midfield at a fraction of the cost and way better with bigger upside as well. Nothing against Oso, but hes 30 and for him its best to resign here...he makes quite a bit as it is if I am not mistaken? Likle almost a million a year?

Bradley won't be going anywhere I know and his replacement won't be bought and then its a vicious circle as then we say no one can sub him off....and he literaly doesn't come off ever. Not sure what the game plan of bob is if Mike were to get hurt? Never gives anyone minutes to see in that role.

And a keeper is an absolute must. The goals given up are brutal.

We have some nice pieces in the 3 Italians and Layrea for sure. And the unicornish Mak I hope next year is avaialble to play. I heard Bob say MAK was hurt coming here...then why did we play in those meaningless games at the start if he wasn't ready? And what exactly was/is the injury? Why did we buy damaged goods? We then had a midfield the other night of Bradley, Nelson and Thomson with Ako the striker...that's a 4 man hole that won't win against anyone....and then means Fede and Insigne literally haev to try and do it alone. And even how good they are, when you are double/triple teamed its extremely difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    basic defensive principle...jimenez was on him at the start of the play and when puig made a pass and run into the dangerous area jimenez had to follow his player...didnt do so therefore thats the big part...after that pass its actually okello who passes it back to puig...at that point its hard to blame others...if jimenez follows his player or okello actually stops the ball properly instead of giving it back to puig theres no goal there
    We will have to agree to disagree then. The last guy I'd blame on Puig socring is him, he's the striker....everyone in the building knew Puig is their main guy and we just needed someone to mark him, foul him anything...but everyone ball watched. Is it just me and sec 223, but did you not see Puig pass and run by Bradley who literally stood there as Puig ran about 20 yards....and then fired the shot in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bradley had the correct positioning and reaction...there were two dangerous players on that play which were puig and hernandez in the middle...bradley had no choice but to stay between the two...once puig made that pass to hernandez, bradley had to close down hernandez right away which he did...unfortunately okello put in a foot and gave it back to puig and we know the rest...so unfortunately thats on jimenez and okello...being a striker doesnt mean not having defensive responsibilities and not applying principles...your player makes a pass and run into a dangerous area in that situation you have to follow him no matter what your position is

Correction: Brugman and not Hernandez
    Last edited by Amir.; 09-02-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree then. The last guy I'd blame on Puig socring is him, he's the striker....everyone in the building knew Puig is their main guy and we just needed someone to mark him, foul him anything...but everyone ball watched. Is it just me and sec 223, but did you not see Puig pass and run by Bradley who literally stood there as Puig ran about 20 yards....and then fired the shot in?
    Here's the highlight of Puig's goal: https://youtu.be/hiQFWOGeKA4?t=377

My thoughts:
    -Jimenez could have pressured a bit more, but I don't really want him tracking back that deep.
    -I think Achara should have followed Puig better, instead he let up and let Puig continue to run in alone
    -Bradley tries to cut out the passing lane from Puig to #5 on LAG. I think that was a fine position for him to take.
    -Okello jumps in and gets a foot to the ball. Ideally, I think he should have gone in behind #5 rather than try to jump the pass. If he misses the interception or deflects it like he did, it leaves LAG with the opportunity to turn and go in undefended.
    -Bradley ends up being stationary after Okello's deflection goes to Puig. I'm not sure he would have been able to get close enough to apply pressure and I don't think I'd want TFC conceding a free kick from that area. I'd prefer the shot from run of play rather than giving LAG the opportunity to set up for a FK.
    -Perhaps O'Neil could have moved forward a bit quicker, but you're usually okay with players taking shots from that distance. He probably wanted to make sure he wasn't beat.
    -Puig makes an incredible shot. He's only scored 2 La Liga goals so it wasn't like he's Insigne who's known for taking shots from outside of the box.
    -If Okello doesn't jump the pass and deflect it, I don't think we score. Bradley was caught off guard by that and I don't think he was ready for it.
    Last edited by noxx98; 09-02-2022 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga shares his story. Been going through a lot the past year, glad he and his family are at a better spot now. Credit to SickKids for all they've done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

He basically admitted it's a bit frustrating playing with the Italians because they cut inside to take shot from seemingly anywhere and it's his job, his "dirty-work" (trabajo sucio) to make runs and open up space. Says that as forward he likes to score goals and give assists but ultimately if they don't connect with you it becomes frustrating and it makes things hard.

I am inclined to agree with him, and it is no surprise that he scored from a simple ball into the box from Achara last game. That was basically our MO for much of the beginning of the year but now its the Italian show giving cross-field passes to one another and apparently whoever scores an Olimpico goal first needs to buy the other one a beer. It's exciting absolutely, but not in the midst of a playoff push.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Mavinga shares his story. Been going through a lot the past year, glad he and his family are at a better spot now. Credit to SickKids for all they've done.
    YouTube version:

https://youtu.be/nJ_WAZC8gpo

Sometimes when a player isn't performing 100% it's due to things we can't possibly know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    The mention of such a name always makes me always think of... if... when... an African MNT will win the World Cup.
    IIRC, he chose to represent his birth country. Even some 'foreign-borns' have naturalized to represent their ancestral homeland.
    Others, not so much.
    Ghana and Ghanaians. An easy reference case example.
    A few other African countries as well.
    What powerhouses they could be.
    If only the 'world football'in system' wasn't detrimental to such a cause.
    For a host of reasons many African roots footballers chose not to play for their ancestral countries.
    I recently came across what I thought was a twitter post demonstrating an 'ideal' WC Team from Ghana.
    Have not been able to find it again.
    Here is a similar youtube example instead...

Essien was one of the most amazing players ever, he doesn’t get his due.

I am going to Qatar and will see four African teams play. Including the Black Stars.

I will cheer for three of them (not Morocco!)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    apparently whoever scores an Olimpico goal first needs to buy the other one a beer
    So true. They've each tried at least half a dozen times. It's so obvious. Do you think they have the green light from Bradley? Because that's a lot of corners that have gone for naught.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    So true. They've each tried at least half a dozen times. It's so obvious. Do you think they have the green light from Bradley? Because that's a lot of corners that have gone for naught.
    It’s looking like both Insigne and Bernardeschi are looking to take advantage of mediocre keepers on one hand, and the fact that we have almost nobody who looks like scoring in the air (yes, cue Henry… but we’d have to be looking for him). It worked a couple of matches ago, though. In truth, we look much more dangerous on corners than we have in years.

As it’s not like they haven’t achieved this before at a much higher level.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 09-03-2022 at 01:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perruzza scores for TFC2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Perruzza scores for TFC2
    He looks so good in the lower divisions and not good at all with us in MLS. It should translate….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    He looks so good in the lower divisions and not good at all with us in MLS. It should translate….
    He hasn't had a cup of tea with the first team, harsh to say he hasn't looked good. When he has been on , it was as a wide right player twice. he's played as a striker a few times and scored on one of them.

Early days for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Yeah, 'The 8th Wonder(?) of the World'.
    Also, given our ongoing issues at striker... why he hasn't got a chance at minutes lately is 'the riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He hasn't had a cup of tea with the first team, harsh to say he hasn't looked good. When he has been on , it was as a wide right player twice. he's played as a striker a few times and scored on one of them.

Early days for him.
    I thought he looked surprisingly flat and kind of lost at striker for us. I’m not counting the wing appearances. But yes, not much time at all….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early days for him.
    Yeah I found his inclusion on the wing to be frustrating. He’s not at all a winger. And even when we’ve played him as striker it’s sometimes been as the support striker as opposed to as a true target (which he is). Maybe they feel he doesn’t have the strength to deal with the MLS game yet and needs to hit the weight room?

Either way, feels like he’s not getting the best opportunities. Annoying, especially when the two guys ahead of him have been terrible and we have zero presence in the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether he pans out or not who knows but one thing I like about Perruzza is the confidence he carries. When he stepped up for PKs in the voyageurs cups I had no doubt he was putting his in. Also enjoyed his taunting of the Vancouver fans.

On another note Shaff seams to be regaining his form from last year in Nashville. He banged in another against the rapids. Glad the positioning experiment didn’t set him back career wise, hope the kid succeeds even if it isn’t for us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/joshuakloke/stat...73514769014787

kloke says TFC are adding a DP forward next year.

first time i've seen a journalist report this as matter of fact.

badly needed imo, ayo and jesus not near the level of our wingers.

a DP forward will maximize the potential of our attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the subtext here is pretty obvious but here’s my question: would the below team have managed to make the playoffs? Would it have a better record than the team today?

First half of season:
    Shaff—JJ—sub level MLS forward
    Osorio—Bradley-Delgado
    Lawrence-Mavinga-O’Neill-Auro
    ——————slightly below avg keeper—-

Second half:
    Insigne—JJ—bernardeschi
    Osorio—Bradley-Delgado
    Criscito-Mavinga-O’Neill-Auro

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to discuss a fantasy lineup compared to reality

As has been mentionned numerous times Delgado wanted out & was gone; Lawrence was not happy, did not show up to training last year & was never going to stay; Auro...who knows; we can't get rid of keepers on contracts without trading them - so stuck with Bono & Westberg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think the subtext here is pretty obvious but here’s my question: would the below team have managed to make the playoffs? Would it have a better record than the team today?

First half of season:
    Shaff—JJ—sub level MLS forward
    Osorio—Bradley-Delgado
    Lawrence-Mavinga-O’Neill-Auro

Second half:
    Insigne—JJ—bernardeschi
    Osorio—Bradley-Delgado
    Criscito-Mavinga-O’Neill-Auro
    yes abosolutely make it.

Don't forget Poz, we keep him, we are in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

As has been mentionned numerous times Delgado wanted out & was gone; Lawrence was not happy, did not show up to training last year & was never going to stay; Auro...who knows; we can't get rid of keepers on contracts without trading them - so stuck with Bono & Westberg.
    Og, please why do we keep this Lawrence not coming to training fallacy going. Manning, Curtis, Armas all knew Lawrence from their time at RBs and vouched for him. He was always a model professional, and this year as well. That is all on Bob and his stubborness. Auro for sure 10 times better than Thompson and Chung, surely would be more points if he was here in first half.

PS If Bono starts the next game, sorry BB has to be fired right after the team sheet is announced. Enough of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Lawrence denies this version completely.

I suspect, based on his active business life, that Lawrence was distracted and, knowing he was on TAM money and therefore valued, thought he had leeway to take days off that he didn’t. He did not have a great rep as a team guy before we got him.

Having said that… the reality is that since he’s gotten to Minnesota, he’s been a model player and one of the best left backs in the league. So… was he a problem, or was he a problem that could’ve easily been resolved by a decent manager.

I don’t like the notion that our manager says you have to have a certain mindset. Great managers can handle any type of personality, they don’t have to send away the ones their kid thinks are sullen or a distraction.

My suspicious side wonders (in paranoid, incorrect fashion, no doubt) whether Osorio’s “illness” had more to do with not wanting to help the Bradleys secure their hold over the club. Hell of an illness, to knock someone out for three games. Two weeks? Hell of a flu bug.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lawrence denies this version completely.

——-

My suspicious side wonders (in paranoid, incorrect fashion, no doubt) whether Osorio’s “illness” had more to do with not wanting to help the Bradleys secure their hold over the club. Hell of an illness, to knock someone out for three games. Two weeks? Hell of a flu bug.
    I agree 100% with your view of the Lawrence situation - at the very least Bob did not get enough of a return on him from Minnesota, given the allocation slot we used/wasted on Lawrence, and just should have kept him for that reason alone. (Bob's lighting of resources on fire here has been kind of shocking and is not something he was previously known for.)

I disagree 1000% with your Oso speculation. The guy is trying to be ready for Qatar (he is not assured minutes) and is in a contract year. There is zero percent chance he is somehow on strike or something. Rather, I suspect that Herdman has asked all the managers of his players to stay silent on injuries. That would explain the silence more readily I think, the level of subterfuge around the world on the injury situation of World Cup players is mindblowing - go ahead and try to find out the status of Tajon Buchanon (or Jordan Henderson - from somewhere other than the Daily Mail. )

I hope to god Qatar is not in jeopardy for him.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-05-2022 at 11:57 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the current update on Oso's status. I couldn't imagine Oso is on strike, especially as he's playing for a new contract. Hopefully he can get right soon.