Page 154 of 193 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Feel a bit bad for Richie, he took a lower salary to head to Europe (since we apparently offered a deal to make him the highest paid fullback in MLS), only to wind up back here six months later on that lower salary he took.
    Hopefully this helps us bring Oso back. Europe might not be the solid gold path to fame and fortune that most players dream it will be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We sold the #2 spot in the allocation order earlier this season for $575k. I feel like we should be able to get it for cheaper now that the season is almost over, so we should be at a net positive there. Who knows what the loan arrangement is with Forest. He's on a reasonable salary and we have GAM to burn this year still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Secret backdoor contract extension confirmed.

The 4 year contract was signed in 2019 that appears to last for 5 years?

Can someone explain this to me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soooo it actually happened. I just thought it was a funny possibility when he was made available a month or so ago. Welcome back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know if the amount of GAM/TAM next year will be increasing with the Leagues Cup starting?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was inevitable that he would be back. Michael Bradley is the most powerful person in this organization. It just seems like he was extended awhile ago and it wasn't leaked until now. I do worry about him being a max TAM player again.
    We have Mavinga on close to a max TAM to occasionally play and often play poorly. This usually isn't a big deal on the boards to most.

For some reason, even when MB is having his best season since 2017, it's a problem. A problem not currently based on his play as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

I wonder if Molinaro just mistyped years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel a bit bad for Richie, he took a lower salary to head to Europe (since we apparently offered a deal to make him the highest paid fullback in MLS), only to wind up back here six months later on that lower salary he took.
    Sometimes betting on yourself has consequences. In life, always take the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know if the amount of GAM/TAM next year will be increasing with the Leagues Cup starting?
    In 2023, total base salary budget, GAM and TAM goes up to $9.83M, from $9.325M this season. There may be some increases as well from the Apple TV deal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not saying it would happen but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that NF and Richie could mutually terminate the deal after this season so we could give him the old deal we offered. They seem flush with bucks these days.

Also not sure how this works with MLS idiotic rules either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I wonder if Molinaro just mistyped years?
    Hope so. I am fine going year by year with Bradley, but signing a player into his late 30's rarely works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the new CBA, GAM goes up every year, while TAM goes down
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...-min-2021-2027

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be looking for a new agent if I'm Richie. That aside, this is fantastic for us. The threat between him and Bernardeschi on the right is a lot for any team to deal with. Also maybe we can move JMR further up the pitch and see what he can do now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

I believe the extension was 4 years but the contract was still active for one year. Essentially he was already signed for 2020 and the 4 year extension extends him to 2024.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully this helps us bring Oso back. Europe might not be the solid gold path to fame and fortune that most players dream it will be.
    It’s a crap shoot. His manager, Steve Cooper, basically purged his team of most of their foreign signings, either sending them out on loan or just benching them. About the only one who got more playing time than Richie was the right back, Cafu, and he only saw spot duty, too.

He just favoured bringing up English youth; it was clear from the week he got there he wasn’t going to get a shot. It was just the wrong club to go to.

The same thing happened to Ethan Horvath, the US keeper. Their number one, Bryce Samba, was out injured and Horvath came in and flat out-performed him, making it obvious who the number one should’ve been. But then Horvath got an international call up and Cooper used that as an excuse to bench him and give the job back to Samba… who promptly through a hissy fit about his salary and is now off the team and playing in Ligue 1.

Horvath, meanwhile, went to Luton on loan.

Incidentally, the right-back ahead of Richie that got all the time was Middlesbrough loanee Djed Spence, whom Tottenham promptly bought for $25M, a gross overpayment based on what I saw. He had 2 goals and four assists, and the press and fans there acted like he was the second coming of Roberto Carlos, when really he was just a fast guy and tough defender.

I do not expect him to excel at the Prem level, but who knows. Either way, he was grossly overrated and Richie didn’t get a sniff.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-04-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think there was any pay-cut whatsoever to play for Forrest. His salary over there would have been reported in net terms (after tax). Also not mentioned, off field fringe benefits for European players are often significantly better. Extreme example: every Ajax player was getting a free Mercedes’ for a while there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    We have Mavinga on close to a max TAM to occasionally play and often play poorly. This usually isn't a big deal on the boards to most.

For some reason, even when MB is having his best season since 2017, it's a problem. A problem not currently based on his play as well.
    People seem to have amnesia, too, about the fact that he tore up a contract that was paying him $5M a year and had two years left on it to sign a TAM deal so that we could improve as a team. The guy gave up TEN MILLION DOLLARS to make our roster charge work. I don’t care how rich he is already, that’s a hell of a statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    I believe the extension was 4 years but the contract was still active for one year. Essentially he was already signed for 2020 and the 4 year extension extends him to 2024.
    I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. At the end of the season he signed a new contract that made him a TAM player, which allowed us to sign Piatti. If his original deal was still in place he would have been a DP in 2020. Here's an article from 2019 that says his deal expired: https://www.espn.com/soccer/toronto-...ith-toronto-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think there was any pay-cut whatsoever to play for Forrest. His salary over there would have been reported in net terms (after tax). Also not mentioned, off field fringe benefits for European players are often significantly better. Extreme example: every Ajax player was getting a free Mercedes’ for a while there.
    My understanding from the press there is that he was on just shy of a million pound salary, which is about 50% more than we were offering in that new deal. (the pound is at about $1.5 CAN right now).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It’s a crap shoot. His manager, Steve Cooper, basically purged his team of most of their foreign signings, either sending them out on loan or just benching them. About the only one who got more playing time than Richie was the right back, Cafu, and he only saw spot duty, too.

He just favoured bringing up English youth; it was clear from the week he got there he wasn’t going to get a shot. It was just the wrong club to go to.

Incidentally, the right-back ahead of him that got all the time was Middlesbrough loanee Djed Spence, whom Tottenham promptly bought for $25M, a gross overpayment based on what I saw. He had 2 goals and four assists, and the press and fans there acted like he was the second coming of Roberto Carlos, when really he was just a fast guy and tough defender.

I do not expect him to excel at the Prem level, but who knows. Either way, he was grossly overrated and Richie didn’t get a sniff.
    If Djed Spence was American, he would of cost Tottenham 8-10 million. The English tax is a very real thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. At the end of the season he signed a new contract that made him a TAM player, which allowed us to sign Piatti. If his original deal was still in place he would have been a DP in 2020. Here's an article from 2019 that says his deal expired: https://www.espn.com/soccer/toronto-...ith-toronto-fc
    Ok maybe I’m misremembering
    I thought he did an extension with a year left to relieve some cap. Maybe not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    My understanding from the press there is that he was on just shy of a million pound salary, which is about 50% more than we were offering in that new deal. (the pound is at about $1.5 CAN right now).
    This website says he's on 400,000 pounds per year gross (just under 500,000 USD), so about half of our 925,000 USD offer.

Edit: forgot link
    https://www.capology.com/player/richie-laryea-34706/profile/

The next MLSPA release might be able to give some more insight I guess, assuming we're picking up the full salary
    Last edited by rydermike; 08-04-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok maybe I’m misremembering
    I thought he did an extension with a year left to relieve some cap. Maybe not.
    There was an option for 2020 that would activate if TFC won the MLS cup in 2019 and would keep Bradley as a DP. Might have been that. https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mich...eyond-mls-cup/
    Bradley resigning as a TAM player did open up cap space. It was widely thought that other teams in MLS would have interest in bringing him on as a DP and he took less money tos tay with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, yeah. I guess now we just wait and see how much we give up and how long Richie's loan is for before judging.

6 months - that is dumb business.

12 months - that is okay. Still leaves a big hole next July.

18 months - perfect.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Secret backdoor contract extension confirmed.

Shenanigans like this make me lose trust in management. If you're going to resign him then make it public, none of this sneaking around like the fans are stupid. I always knew this was a possibility or condition when trying to hire Bob and now it's confirmed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was an option for 2020 that would activate if TFC won the MLS cup in 2019 and would keep Bradley as a DP. Might have been that. https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mich...eyond-mls-cup/
    Bradley resigning as a TAM player did open up cap space. It was widely thought that other teams in MLS would have interest in bringing him on as a DP and he took less money tos tay with us.
    So there we have it. Option year was picked up as part of the package and 4 years was the extension. Still too long but that’s another topic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This website says he's on 400,000 pounds per year gross (just under 500,000 USD), so about half of our 925,000 USD offer.

Edit: forgot link
    https://www.capology.com/player/rich...34706/profile/

The next MLSPA release might be able to give some more insight I guess, assuming we're picking up the full salary
    The notts forest supporters’ site said all season he was on 947,000 pounds. Perhaps they were misconstruing a dollar value somehow, but as the UK teams do not publicly release salaries and 400,000 would be very low for an international player in the championhship, my tendency is to believe the Nottingham Forest site.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the gamble he wanted to take. The house always wins. If we resign him permanently I could see him getting a raise but not the original 900k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there we have it. Option year was picked up as part of the package and 4 years was the extension. Still too long but that’s another topic
    I don't think we ever picked up the option. The option was for 2020 and would be at a DP salary. The MLSPA reported his 2020 salary as $1.5M. Bradley was not a DP in 2020, as Piatti was signed for $2M+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps, as Ultra points out, we should focus on the fact that Bradley is having a statistically excellent season. He’s played well in 90% of our matches.

Perhaps just a little loyalty to a player who gave up so much money for this club and still plays well would be a healthy thing. I get his age and that his legs aren’t what they were, but so far this year he’s compensated really well.