Page 182 of 193 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,460 of 5785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    TIf we go into the mid season break next year and we're not within a few points of the supporter's shield, they all have to go. Manning, Bradley, Conway, the fucking lot.
    Conway needs to go in about 2.5 weeks. The rest get until June 2023 to show their cards I say. By next June we should at minimum be in a home playoff spot in the East. Any less and it's a failure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I agree that Bono is a disaster and has cost us points. Of course. I also buy the idea that his form impacts everything. Of course.

But other teams also have injuries and out of form players too. All of you who think we are contenders right now but for Bono and a couple of signings, are you sure that you are not cherry picking? Are you sure that you are factoring in the quality of the teams we need to be clearly better than, to be contenders? These Columbus, Orlando, even NE teams look “better” than us to me, or at least better at getting results, even with our Italians, and they all have injury problems … Columbus will have Artur next year. Orlando has no Pato, and was playing well until he went down.

We have quite a few issues away from the GK position. Westberg made some saves last week, if Bono had been in against Atlanta they might have had 7 goals.

We haven’t been that great the second half of the season. We have three wins in 11 games, and we eked it out late against Portland and Nashville.
    again, this is just all wrong.

we have 4 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses in games insigne and berna started (half of those they were getting up to speed).

replace bono with average mls GK who makes 1 howler in that stretch, not 6 or 7 and we end up with probably 7 wins 2 draws, and that's before you add in starters in a few other spots, which we surely will, including a new DP.

i still think we're a couple seasons away from being a philly 2022 level contender, but we're only 2/3 starting players away from being a really good team right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    For me it's less that I'm confident we will be challenging, and more that if we're not, management has failed. Think of what we've done

- Played the transfer market like we're playing a video game on cheat mode. Seriously, lighting money on fire with Jozy, wasting a DP on Soteldo and that mess, and getting players in like the Italians we have in isn't outspending our competition like Real Madrid does to Valencia, it's more like Real Madrid to a Segunda team. We have an absurdly unfair advantage over the vast majority of the league and are not competing on a level playing field whatsoever. And we still have an open DP slot to spend even more!

- Absolutely gutting our team to write off a season so we're ready for next. Things like jettisoning all full backs without much of a plan, trading players like Pozuelo and Delgado, and not investing in our areas of weakness so we weren't weighed down with bad contracts. If we didn't do that we'd be in the play offs this season, that's fine, but it gives us a blank slate for next season we need to use. BB is being allowed mould the team to his image, he needs to show results for that - writing off this season is only justifiable if we can do something next season

- Trading our future for our present to an extent by getting rid of Shaff and a big money move spending alot of resources and sending a very promising young player away in exchange for a better player today in MAK (Hopefully...). That's a 'win now' strategy. Which is fine, but yeah, you better then 'win now'

In short, Bob has been given a blank cheque like nobody else in the league, he has resources that almost nobody else has, and has been given carte blanche to absolutely rip the team apart and build it in his image even if it utterly breaks us in the short term - including trading future pieces away for ones who should come good now. With all that in mind, anything less than in contention is failure next season. Do I think we'll do it? I don't think so, but Bradley lives and dies on next season for me. Nothing less than in contention (Not winning necessarily, but one of the teams in the running) is a complete failure of management. To me, there are no more excuses
    Post of the year, this. “Video game on cheat mode”. Bravo for that, what a perfect metaphor.

We should be a hell of a lot better than we are, already.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this is my hot take but we have the best player in the league who can score goals from nothing and a very solid second DP. Both guys are defensively responsible too which is rare.

If we solidify through the spine of the team anything is possible here. We need 1-2 guys who are very solid, and everyone else can simply be a dependable professional who does a job.

We are sandbagging ourselves with youth players + Bono at the moment. Makes things seem way worse than what they are.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe this is my hot take but we have the best player in the league who can score goals from nothing and a very solid second DP. Both guys are defensively responsible too which is rare.

If we solidify through the spine of the team anything is possible here. We need 1-2 guys who are very solid, and everyone else can simply be a dependable professional who does a job.

We are sandbagging ourselves with youth players + Bono at the moment. Makes things seem way worse than what they are.
    fully agree.

but also we need a first choice stud CB, and a dependable gk.

but yes, the quality of our dps will win us most games if the rest of the team is functional (and even some games where it isn't, i.e. charlotte away)

and a 3rd dp to come remember.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    again, this is just all wrong.

we have 4 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses in games insigne and berna started (half of those they were getting up to speed).

replace bono with average mls GK who makes 1 howler in that stretch, not 6 or 7 and we end up with probably 7 wins 2 draws, and that's before you add in starters in a few other spots, which we surely will, including a new DP.

i still think we're a couple seasons away from being a philly 2022 level contender, but we're only 2/3 starting players away from being a really good team right now.
    We do have 4 wins. I stand corrected.

Two against an expansion team.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post of the year, this. “Video game on cheat mode”. Bravo for that, what a perfect metaphor.

We should be a hell of a lot better than we are, already.
    You're only as strong as you're weakest link.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do have 4 wins. I stand corrected.

Two against an expansion team.
    That was ahead of us at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fully agree.

but also we need a first choice stud CB, and a dependable gk.

but yes, the quality of our dps will win us most games if the rest of the team is functional (and even some games where it isn't, i.e. charlotte away)

and a 3rd dp to come remember.
    For sure. I’m getting more in the camp of fortify everything and worry less about a new striker as DP.

Play to the strength of your best players. Control the middle of the field, make yourself hard to beat and lean on your stars to find goals. Quit throwing everyone forward and pressing all the time, leaving us open at the back.

Bob has to come out of his 4-3-3 Ivory tower and prove he can still coach, rather than just be an idealist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For sure. I’m getting more in the camp of fortify everything and worry less about a new striker as DP.

Play to the strength of your best players. Control the middle of the field, make yourself hard to beat and lean on your stars to find goals. Quit throwing everyone forward and pressing all the time, leaving us open at the back.

Bob has to come out of his 4-3-3 Ivory tower and prove he can still coach, rather than just be an idealist.
    The 4-3-1-2 last week after Montreal clogged up the wing outlets was about three games later than he should've first tried it.

Insigne and Bernadeschi have both proven their vision is so good they can play inside midfield and forward roles and we lose nothing. He basically has full tactical flexibility at this point if we sign at least one defensive midfielder, a real anchor/bulldog type.

He's horrible to play against but Frankie Amaya's having that kind of year at Red Bull. He's usually hovering between five and seven tackles per game and he makes it very hard to build up against them.

Struber was shit at Barnsley, where the lack of parity in spending meant he couldn't fit players to roles. But playing Gegenpress 4-2-2-2 with role players in each spot, NYRB is pretty good this year.

The exact opposite, in a way, of what we're doing, which is more total football aimed: all three eights can switch places and roles, wingers underlap to allow fullbacks to attack. Central defenders sometimes join the attack, forwards drop back to cover holes....

I'm not sure our route fits MLS particularly well even with our spend. It would be nice if we could revert to the opposite on a moment's notice, take advantage of the fact that the one thing young, fit, unexperienced players should be able to learn to do quickly is press high.

It's weird, too, because Marsch is a Bob disciple. He even called him for advice before the start of Leeds' season, according to a Guardian profile today.
    Last edited by jloome; 09-14-2022 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it's less that I'm confident we will be challenging, and more that if we're not, management has failed. Think of what we've done

- Played the transfer market like we're playing a video game on cheat mode. Seriously, lighting money on fire with Jozy, wasting a DP on Soteldo and that mess, and getting players in like the Italians we have in isn't outspending our competition like Real Madrid does to Valencia, it's more like Real Madrid to a Segunda team. We have an absurdly unfair advantage over the vast majority of the league and are not competing on a level playing field whatsoever. And we still have an open DP slot to spend even more!

- Absolutely gutting our team to write off a season so we're ready for next. Things like jettisoning all full backs without much of a plan, trading players like Pozuelo and Delgado, and not investing in our areas of weakness so we weren't weighed down with bad contracts. If we didn't do that we'd be in the play offs this season, that's fine, but it gives us a blank slate for next season we need to use. BB is being allowed mould the team to his image, he needs to show results for that - writing off this season is only justifiable if we can do something next season

- Trading our future for our present to an extent by getting rid of Shaff and a big money move spending alot of resources and sending a very promising young player away in exchange for a better player today in MAK (Hopefully...). That's a 'win now' strategy. Which is fine, but yeah, you better then 'win now'

In short, Bob has been given a blank cheque like nobody else in the league, he has resources that almost nobody else has, and has been given carte blanche to absolutely rip the team apart and build it in his image even if it utterly breaks us in the short term - including trading future pieces away for ones who should come good now. With all that in mind, anything less than in contention is failure next season. Do I think we'll do it? I don't think so, but Bradley lives and dies on next season for me. Nothing less than in contention (Not winning necessarily, but one of the teams in the running) is a complete failure of management. To me, there are no more excuses
    Excellent post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amaya is exactly the type of player I was thinking about. I want the first thing going through any opposing AM or forward’s mind who receives the ball with his back to goal to be “I’m going to get plastered”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do sort of wonder if they'd almost prefer we didn't make the playoffs. With the world cup coming up, that's a valuable month of transfer work. And we have a lot of needs, still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amaya is exactly the type of player I was thinking about. I want the first thing going through any opposing AM or forward’s mind who receives the ball with his back to goal to be “I’m going to get plastered”
    Yeah, I hate that guy. Plus, because he's short and stocky, he usually actually manages to avoid fouling the other guy. Usually. But fuck, he's annoying whenever TFC plays NYRB. I hate his tenacious desire to destroy our midfielders so much, I'd probably have a hard time with him coming to TFC. Until he did it for us, and then I'd probably get over it really quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I hate that guy. Plus, because he's short and stocky, he usually actually manages to avoid fouling the other guy. Usually. But fuck, he's annoying whenever TFC plays NYRB. I hate his tenacious desire to destroy our midfielders so much, I'd probably have a hard time with him coming to TFC. Until he did it for us, and then I'd probably get over it really quickly.
    Yep, most annoying player or most annoying team (although I’d put SKC up there too).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumours online that insigne's wife had a miscarriage.

Horrible news if true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumours online that insigne's wife had a miscarriage.

Horrible news if true.
    If true, give him the rest of the year off. We've nothing to play for. Let him recover mentally and physically and show him that we're there for him. That's awful, no way he can focus on football right now

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If true, give him the rest of the year off. We've nothing to play for. Let him recover mentally and physically and show him that we're there for him. That's awful, no way he can focus on football right now
    He was back in training today, likely his own decision you'd imagine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was back in training today, likely his own decision you'd imagine.
    I've dealt with this before and after getting my partner settled, I tossed myself back into work fast to take my mind off it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I've dealt with this before and after getting my partner settled, I tossed myself back into work fast to take my mind off it.
    Sorry for your loss mate.

And that makes sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for your loss mate.

And that makes sense.
    Thanks. That's usually my go to after bad news or events so I totally get why he would do it. Being a member of a sports team is probably more therapeutic than working in a pharmacy with the commraderie and bonds with teammates so it's probably good for him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent post that sums it all up Bob has next year to turn this club into a contender or his career is done

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do sort of wonder if they'd almost prefer we didn't make the playoffs. With the world cup coming up, that's a valuable month of transfer work. And we have a lot of needs, still.
    I've been thinking this all year. Firstly for the reason you mentioned and secondly to rest our DPs with a good long off season.

Pretty sure MLSE isn't thinking this but I suspect it's at least a silver lining for BB and maybe Manning.

But that will just compound the pressure to have a great 2023.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also thought about Amaya at times this year. Would be excellent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's unfortunately very common. It's basically a coin flip. You would think with how common it is, people in general would be aware of that. My wife and I only learned that fact from the doctor at the hospital (this was a few years ago). I only mention all this to help normalize this as a topic. It's soul crushing in the moment, but it gets better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're only as strong as you're weakest link.

I bet that ball went in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Excellent post that sums it all up Bob has next year to turn this club into a contender or his career is done
    I would add Manning into that mix as well. If we are still mediocre wipe the board clean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    It's unfortunately very common. It's basically a coin flip. You would think with how common it is, people in general would be aware of that. My wife and I only learned that fact from the doctor at the hospital (this was a few years ago). I only mention all this to help normalize this as a topic. It's soul crushing in the moment, but it gets better.
    Agreed. We had no real idea either. Going through it in a new country would be extra difficult for the Insigne's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAZN Italia... TFC: Toronto - Little Italy... feature...

Insigne and Criscito are my kind of footballers... character wise; full-stop.
    And why I have an affinity for MBradley.

Yet, Bernardeschi...
    His performance/s aside... his personality... it draws one in; it is infectious.
    I am lucky to understand Italian. Some of this comes across in his broken English; like his 'Com'on TFC' ear-worm!
    If it wasn't for that language barrier though, for others missing a nuanced understanding in the way he communicates,
    The ease and humility, a twinkle of wonderment in his eyes...
    Maybe, probably, TFC's best 'complete marketing package' signing ever so far.

In a segment of that feature...
    He is presented with a gift of image personalized footballing moments guitar picks...
    Enjoys, loves to play; a passion of his.
    Asked if he has any regrets...
    Replies without pause... No... None/Zero...( explains with all that he has been a part of, done, accomplished with his teammates at club and national levels)...
    Then states...
    If I close my eyes, (go back and) ask that boy at Fiorentina (Youth), what dreams did you have?
    These!

BTW, thanks DAZN, rumours visually confirmed...
    Lives west-side, in my neighborhood!
    Basically, just down the street.
    About a 5 minute walk / kilometer from my home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    DAZN Italia... TFC: Toronto - Little Italy... feature...

Insigne and Criscito are my kind of footballers... character wise; full-stop.
    And why I have an affinity for MBradley.

Yet, Bernardeschi...
    His performance/s aside... his personality... it draws one in; it is infectious.
    I am lucky to understand Italian. Some of this comes across in his broken English; like his 'Com'on TFC' ear-worm!
    If it wasn't for that language barrier though, for others missing a nuanced understanding in the way he communicates,
    The ease and humility, a twinkle of wonderment in his eyes...
    Maybe, probably, TFC's best 'complete marketing package' signing ever so far.

In a segment of that feature...
    He is presented with a gift of image personalized footballing moments guitar picks...
    Enjoys, loves to play; a passion of his.
    Asked if he has any regrets...
    Replies without pause... No... None/Zero...( explains with all that he has been a part of, done, accomplished with his teammates at club and national levels)...
    Then states...
    If I close my eyes, (go back and) ask that boy at Fiorentina (Youth), what dreams did you have?
    These!

BTW, thanks DAZN, rumours visually confirmed...
    Lives west-side, in my neighborhood!
    Basically, just down the street.
    About a 5 minute walk / kilometer from my home.
    I truly love Berna man, think he may become my favorite TFC player of all time for what he does on and off the pitch. (Currently Giovinco and Osorio are up there for #1).

A couple days ago they had some sort of Amazon workers family day that got invited to BMO Training, Berna and a few other players were there greeting them.
    I had two friends who went, said Berna was there, meeting everyone and was such a nice guy.

Glad I bought his jersey!

Side Note - I really hope Manning and BB are talking to Berna on players who may want to come from Italy. He mentioned a lot had reached out...