Page 171 of 193 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,130 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From TFC's site, we have 5 scouts. Jack Dodd is the director of scouting and came from Crystal Palace and Liverpool. We then have one European scout, one North American/Asia scout, one South American scout, and one Academy scout. I remember when we signed Jimenez there was a lot of talk that we relied on one of Bradley's former assistants who is now coaching in Poland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    In the past they did identify individuals in South America and in Canada who were "scouts," but it's unsure whether they were employees or consultants or what. Also whether that's still the case is unclear.

We know that the Italian players have been brought in through connections with one agent.

We also know that MLS FO has people who identify players for the league as a whole.

Mostly things are pretty murky.
    When we joined the league, no teams had any dedicated scouts. There were resources / centralized scouting available through MLS Head Office and everyone used that as a means to get players. The only exception to this was DCU which employed a single dedicated South American Scout.

My understanding is today it’s quite the opposite. But have no idea of the specifics. On the website we have 5 people listed who work in the scouting department for TFC. So that’s good news at least.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We should sign Vangelis Pavlidis from AZ Alkmaar as a striker DP. Toronto has one of the world's largest Greek communities, he's a lethal striker, and he only cost them $2M a year ago. We might be able to get him for $6-8M plus Addons for future performance -- a sell on percentage -- as he's only 23. (Okay maybe more like $10-12M but he'd score 20-30 in MLS.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vangelis_Pavlidis

https://www.transfermarkt.us/vangeli...spieler/324503
    Man I like this idea.

Also, I think I know the music that would play in the stadium when he scores….
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Manning stuff is irrelevant now, he is not identifying anyone today. That was a one off and I would bet you real money the actual story is more like this: he made that up because he didn’t want to say whose idea it really was (maybe because it was Michael Bradley).

We have generally spent a lot of time talking about international scouting over the years (which is really all Bob and his relationships, vs Vanney and his relationships when Vanney was here, etc), what is there to say.…

and not enough time talking about a very specific academy player development problem, which is talent identification and evaluation. How many good young Canadians have come through here and not gotten a serious look? We all know about MAK, but there are 10+ others. That is what absolutely table thumping goddammit must change around here.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-01-2022 at 06:17 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our academy was a feces show until 2014. It suffers now from people realising there are more options & the tribalism of Ontario soccer culture.

e.g.
    Forge FC largely exists to give Sigma's owner (who just happen to be the coach of Forge) a way to prove he is the best in developing players. Sigma will do whatever it can to run TFC's academy down - often, there is merit to this criticism but its all rather tedious after awhile.

We should be starting to see the results of that academy change this year - oh look, JMR.

Give it a few years.

My biggest problem with the academy is the total inability to groom a central defender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I made this post back in the off season thread. Using Transfermarkt to some degree is incredibly common.
    noxx, I remember you made this post. The articles you linked to are good. At the time, I also offered a link to a New York Times article that substantially aligns. Here it is again:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/s...sfermarkt.html

However, there is one more article from the Dutch website, Follow the Money. I think this article is the most comprehensive and provides the most evidence (with sources) as to the pervasive influence of Transfermkt. Is it the only source of information? Obviously not. Does everyone use it? It would seem so:

Good article here:
    https://www.ftm.eu/articles/transfer...opean-football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    noxx, I remember you made this post. The articles you linked to are good. At the time, I also offered a link to a New York Times article that substantially aligns. Here it is again:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/s...sfermarkt.html

However, there is one more article from the Dutch website, Follow the Money. I think this article is the most comprehensive and provides the most evidence (with sources) as to the pervasive influence of Transfermkt. Is it the only source of information? Obviously not. Does everyone use it? It would seem so:

Good article here:
    https://www.ftm.eu/articles/transfer...opean-football
    Thanks - remember you sharing these too. Transfermarkt basically seems like the Wikipedia of soccer. It's where people go as the first source of information before they go any deeper in their research. If anything, the issue is Manning quoting his use of it. Reminds me of in university how you were told to never list Wikipedia as a source, even if that was where you did your research.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think this was posted earlier, but Berna gave an interview with an Italian sport magazine and had a lot of good things to say about TFC and the move to MLS. The whole Twitter thread is worth a read, but here's one of the main quotes:

Criscito also gave an interview with Italian news and said the day he stops playing for TFC is the day he stops playing football. Hopefully that means we have him for a few more years in a Cheyrou type role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Great stuff!

We might not quite make it this year, but next year is going to be insane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Our academy was a feces show until 2014. It suffers now from people realising there are more options & the tribalism of Ontario soccer culture.

e.g.
    Forge FC largely exists to give Sigma's owner (who just happen to be the coach of Forge) a way to prove he is the best in developing players. Sigma will do whatever it can to run TFC's academy down - often, there is merit to this criticism but its all rather tedious after awhile.

We should be starting to see the results of that academy change this year - oh look, JMR.

Give it a few years.

My biggest problem with the academy is the total inability to groom a central defender.
    It was good to see Okello back on Wednesday night. That said, one of the things that stool out to me was as a central midfielder was his movement and general cluelessness off the ball when we had possession.

He’d basically migrate over to the area of the field where the play was and only look to offer an option for a short lateral pass. Same thing Priso did, same thing Nelson does (although his range is improving), and others. What they should be doing is on occasion making runs to stretch the field or be a late runner into the box. That’s how Osorio is scoring all his goals

Best can tell, the quality of the coaching we gave this kids was clearly crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It was good to see Okello back on Wednesday night. That said, one of the things that stool out to me was as a central midfielder was his movement and general cluelessness off the ball when we had possession.

He’d basically migrate over to the area of the field where the play was and only look to offer an option for a short lateral pass. Same thing Priso did, same thing Nelson does (although his range is improving), and others. What they should be doing is on occasion making runs to stretch the field or be a late runner into the box. That’s how Osorio is scoring all his goals

Agreed. They just have no positional awareness, and thata on the academy coaching and here as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we have these players as free agents going into the off season

Chris Mavinga(CB) Doniel Henry(CB) Richie Laryea(RB)
    Jonathan Osorio(CM) Michael Bradley(CM)?
    Quentin Westberg(G) Alex Bono(G)

Well need to realistically look for a CB and RB while filling that Right midfielder role with a DP singing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    So we have these players as free agents going into the off season

Chris Mavinga(CB) Doniel Henry(CB) Richie Laryea(RB)
    Jonathan Osorio(CM) Michael Bradley(CM)?
    Quentin Westberg(G) Alex Bono(G)

Well need to realistically look for a CB and RB while filling that Right midfielder role with a DP singing
    - Laryea's loan goes until June 30, '23.
    - Bradley is on the books next year, per Bradley himself.

After the Chicago match I was basically ready to let Mavinga walk this off season, but his play of late has been significantly better. I would take him back if we can get him below TAM per se?

Oso would obviously be welcome back but I think a DP deal would dwarf our aspirations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    - Laryea's loan goes until June 30, '23.
    - Bradley is on the books next year, per Bradley himself.

After the Chicago match I was basically ready to let Mavinga walk this off season, but his play of late has been significantly better. I would take him back if we can get him below TAM per se?

Oso would obviously be welcome back but I think a DP deal would dwarf our aspirations.
    I know Laryea is done in June. But we need a replacement for him. We cant just not sign anyone. Not unless we buy him back, which I don't see happening unless Manning/Bradley really want him back.

Bradley just cant be a regular starter anymore. I hope to god we find someone to replace him.

Mavinga is streaky and also injury prone. Per MLS rules well have to offer him the same salary or more so hell be on a TAM deal $1.1+ Million

If I was Osorio id head to Europe for 2-3 years. He can always come back to Toronto FC at 33/34 and Retire here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whenever I watch Okello I can’t help but wonder if he’d make a better CB than CM. I’m sure his height influences my thoughts, but a role with limited movement might suit him better and help his focus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Whenever I watch Okello I can’t help but wonder if he’d make a better CB than CM. I’m sure his height influences my thoughts, but a role with limited movement might suit him better and help his focus.
    I don't think he is aggressive enough and I question his positioning.

I used to think he could be a solid DM in time but I gave up on that. He just doesn't have the positional awareness or passing range to make a quality DM. The best he ever looked was under Armas as an offensive CM. That kind of role with limited positional responsibility is probably the best for him at least as an option off the bench if we're chasing the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://bolavip.com/en/soccer/the-15...1229-0007.html

For fun, some of the worst DPs in MLS history

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    https://bolavip.com/en/soccer/the-15...1229-0007.html

For fun, some of the worst DPs in MLS history
    No Pirlo or Gerrard? Not even M'Bolhi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I

I know Laryea is done in June. But we need a replacement for him. We cant just not sign anyone. Not unless we buy him back, which I don't see happening unless Manning/Bradley really want him back.

Bradley just cant be a regular starter anymore. I hope to god we find someone to replace him.

Mavinga is streaky and also injury prone. Per MLS rules well have to offer him the same salary or more so hell be on a TAM deal $1.1+ Million

If I was Osorio id head to Europe for 2-3 years. He can always come back to Toronto FC at 33/34 and Retire here
    I believe Laryea stays.

Bradley's situation will not be resolved until or after next seasons summer window.
    Perhaps... hopefully... with Jorginho. Such a DP would be addressed after 01JAN23 with a pre-contract; similar to Insigne.

Mavinga... I would like for him to stay. If we are able to get - him - a Moor to pair via winter window MLS Free Agency.
    Same-ish salary is alright. Otherwise reduced salary; between quarter and half less?
    I thought MLS Rules / Free Agency just limited the percentage of increase in a salary signing?

Osorio must stay. I am selfish. Pay him. Somehow.
    Hopefully MAXTAM or if must, even as a DP that may be bought down for a few years; similar to the potential scenario of Salcedo?
    At least until such time that the budgetary mechanisms get adjusted; with the windfall tide of money, something will surely give?
    Apart from that notion, I understand there are/were already pre-set realignments between REGSAL, GAM, TAM.
    That were coming into effect over the next few years anyways.
    Basically, about plus 4.5HK a year compounded to Team Budgets? Without consideration of any of the new media and merchandise deals.
    Maybe, Michael even does TFC/us another solid with some sort of salary off-set/switcheroo on behalf of the future Captain.
    Mimmo, in his latest article considers Osorio to be among the 'Senators' - that is elder statesmen or leaders - of TFC.
    Maybe the mention is an indication he is staying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    No Pirlo or Gerrard? Not even M'Bolhi?
    Surely Jarju should be there. Barely played a game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he is aggressive enough and I question his positioning.

I used to think he could be a solid DM in time but I gave up on that. He just doesn't have the positional awareness or passing range to make a quality DM. The best he ever looked was under Armas as an offensive CM. That kind of role with limited positional responsibility is probably the best for him at least as an option off the bench if we're chasing the game.
    Have we seen enough to be able to say this?

He is a complete unknown to me, but he sure looked like the second coming of Michael Essien in that one game against Leon, which was not that long ago…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue with Okello has always been figuring out where to play him. Between his body type and skillset, he has thus far been a square peg in a round hole regardless of where he has been deployed. IF a coach can ever crack that, there is evidence of a real player in Okello.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I

If there is anyway we could keep Lareya, am all for it.

A CM for Bradley has to be bought and must be at lest playing 50% or more next year as Bradley winds down. On the Puig goal, he literally stood there as Puig passed it by him, and then ran by him to get the pass back. He doesn't have the legs or speed at all and has to be gone.

Mavinga, a beast defensively but has major lapses like the Chicgao game...or the first goal the other night. He had zero pressure and passed it out of bounds leading to a quick throw and then he fouled Chicarito leading to free kick. Bono to blame on the shot...but Mavinga's comedy of errors led to the free kick. We need a starter CB to marshall the line. Mcnaughton is okay but coughs up the ball trying to be cute many times and loses it..and was righfully given the hook.

Oso, give him an offer but dont go crazy. He has fitness issues and while he is good, I'd rather get a DP midfielder to run the show. Oso isn't going anywhere good in Europe, sorry to say, he should have tried alot earlier.

And we need a striker big time. Ako is not good enough at all. Jesus is alright. But we need someone to free insigne and berna. And an aeiral presence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

puig goal before anything was on jimenez for not following him and then okello for passing it back to him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Have we seen enough to be able to say this?

He is a complete unknown to me, but he sure looked like the second coming of Michael Essien in that one game against Leon, which was not that long ago…
    Yeah, I do wonder about this. We stuck it out with Nelson and are now seeing some benefit.

Could he improve significantly with playing time? At face value, the upside here is probably more enticing than Kerr or Thompson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    puig goal before anything was on jimenez for not following him and then okello for passing it back to him
    Midfield there needed to shut him down (or take the foul) before he got to the backline. There was more than enough cover, we just didn’t do the job.

Of course, when your keeper concedes soft free kicks from 30 yards it probably doesn’t make you want to mark too closely and risk another set piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Man I like this idea.

Also, I think I know the music that would play in the stadium when he scores….
    I was about to counter with the Miami Vice theme, but we'd need a striker named Jan Hammer for that. Awesome but unlikely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I do wonder about this. We stuck it out with Nelson and are now seeing some benefit.

Could he improve significantly with playing time? At face value, the upside here is probably more enticing than Kerr or Thompson.
    I think Thompson could be okay just not as a FB.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    If there is anyway we could keep Lareya, am all for it.

A CM for Bradley has to be bought and must be at lest playing 50% or more next year as Bradley winds down. On the Puig goal, he literally stood there as Puig passed it by him, and then ran by him to get the pass back. He doesn't have the legs or speed at all and has to be gone.

Mavinga, a beast defensively but has major lapses like the Chicgao game...or the first goal the other night. He had zero pressure and passed it out of bounds leading to a quick throw and then he fouled Chicarito leading to free kick. Bono to blame on the shot...but Mavinga's comedy of errors led to the free kick. We need a starter CB to marshall the line. Mcnaughton is okay but coughs up the ball trying to be cute many times and loses it..and was righfully given the hook.

Oso, give him an offer but dont go crazy. He has fitness issues and while he is good, I'd rather get a DP midfielder to run the show. Oso isn't going anywhere good in Europe, sorry to say, he should have tried alot earlier.

And we need a striker big time. Ako is not good enough at all. Jesus is alright. But we need someone to free insigne and berna. And an aeiral presence.
    Sorry to do this again because I know the regulars on this site don’t approve when I agree with your comments but you Sir again ate spot on, I also noticed Bradley on that Phil goal , he offered no resistance, basically a two legged pylon, I am sure Michael will be back on the team next year but if it is not in a severely depleted role then Bob Bradley needs to be shown the door. Your are also correct about Oso his Dream of playing in Europe is long gone and if they pay him DP money as someone above suggests , then it is time for a inquiry as to what is going on here. I have no words to express how ludicrous giving DP money to Oso would be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Thompson could be okay just not as a FB.
    I will say this about Thomson, the guy works his ass off. Wish some of his peers from the academy shared that mentality.