Page 169 of 193 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,070 of 5785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    other comments were talking about the 'multiple windows' - basically, yeppers. You did all this leg work now it's time to find the depth.

I know this is player roster but do you think the coaching will also be shaken up? I can't see the team not investing further and boosting our advantages where we can, given that up until this year conditioning has been an issue and suddenly players are healthier again under Bob. There are still holdovers from old regimes like Conway and they've definitely not been effective.
    I was mentioning our better fitness levels last week at the match. Before most of the starters seemed gassed by the 60th but now most are still pretty spry at 90. This has been a solid improvement.

Conway is and always will be the confounding one. Seems like a smart position to upgrade. Also do we have a set piece coach? If not, we should get one. A throw in coach wouldn't hurt either because there's some bad decisions being made out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I was mentioning our better fitness levels last week at the match. Before most of the starters seemed gassed by the 60th but now most are still pretty spry at 90. This has been a solid improvement.
    Yep, I would say so.

Off the top of my head I’m not certain if Vanney or Bradley use subs more often. But directionally Bob seems to be more proactive about limiting minutes whereas I never saw Vanney make a sub for any reason other than tactics. And Nob doesn’t exactly have much in the way of depth to deal with at the moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conway is and always will be the confounding one. Seems like a smart position to upgrade. Also do we have a set piece coach? If not, we should get one. A throw in coach wouldn't hurt either because there's some bad decisions being made out there.
    It doesn't seem likely it's due to a personnel change; the guy who left went to Leeds, and if you watch them play they're the fittest team in the Premier League. They outran Chelsea by a combined 10 KM in their last game and they press high for 90 mins.

So he's doing all right there, it would seem. Maybe the issue here was attitudes of the players involved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So he's doing all right there, it would seem. Maybe the issue here was attitudes of the players involved.
    Or the managers. Some of them spend an inordinate amount of time on tactics and light drills and some over do fitness drills. Not sure what Armas did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or the managers. Some of them spend an inordinate amount of time on tactics and light drills and some over do fitness drills. Not sure what Armas did.
    To me, by all accounts, it sounds like Armas couldn’t communicate with people to save his life. His press conferences were incoherent mumbling and dodgy eye contact. Something tells me his training sessions weren’t all that different.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't seem likely it's due to a personnel change; the guy who left went to Leeds, and if you watch them play they're the fittest team in the Premier League. They outran Chelsea by a combined 10 KM in their last game and they press high for 90 mins.

To be fair the squad at Leeds that he inherited was already pretty fit and the recruitment has been targeted for players that love to press. Let's see if he can keep them healthy through the season...
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    To be fair the squad at Leeds that he inherited was already pretty fit and the recruitment has been targeted for players that love to press. Let's see if he can keep them healthy through the season...
    The benefit of maintaining the same system with a coaching change...

Not sure if Jloome is referring to Armas in his post, but he apparently isn't at Leeds. There was some press about him going there before the season began, but I've not seen him listed anywhere as a coach or anything else. Maybe the Leeds supporters on the board know what happened?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post

Not sure if Jloome is referring to Armas in his post, but he apparently isn't at Leeds. There was some press about him going there before the season began, but I've not seen him listed anywhere as a coach or anything else. Maybe the Leeds supporters on the board know what happened?
    Jesse had spoken to Armas about joining the staff, but he ultimately decided that he wanted to bring his family back to the US. He also mentioned that he did this with an eye towards another MLS head coaching job...

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Jesse had spoken to Armas about joining the staff, but he ultimately decided that he wanted to bring his family back to the US. He also mentioned that he did this with an eye towards another MLS head coaching job...
    I hadn't heard that. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/tfc-mls-a...o-inter-miami/
    An interview with Bono about some of the mishaps. TFC Republic is free to read this week. Also confirms again that TFC hasn't negotiated with Bono about an extension.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they went with rene maric instead, who's a bit of a tactical prodigy having worked as an assistant in multiple top 5 leagues already at age 29.

bit of an upgrade on armas, who as far as i know, doesnt have his coaching badges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Armas, our fitness coach went there. He's also former Red Bulls I think. I
    might be remembering this wrong but I believe they said TFC.

EDIT Yeah it's our former fitness guy Pierre Barrieu who went to Leeds. Why would anyone think I meant Armas!?
    Last edited by jloome; 08-25-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT Yeah it's our former fitness guy Pierre Barrieu who went to Leeds. Why would anyone think I meant Armas!?
    Armas was supposed to go there too after Man U but he declined so I think that's where it's coming from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, lol. I didn't really think you meant Armas, but the way you were being kind of obscure I wasn't sure. Ultra's explanation is what I was I was thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m wondering if the next DP should really be a focus of the winter window. There are a variety of genuine needs to fill and the team is clearly performing with the Insigne/Berna duo. Going the Young Money route would be the most effective probably.

They’ll need to bring in a bonafide centreback and keeper and bring genuine depth on in the midfield, fullback, and the wing.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe there is a transfer fee cap for the young money guys, which would be a cheat code if the team was willing to commit resources.

I don’t believe a DP striker is a need. The impact of a decent TAM striker is very well established in this league (we saw it with Jimenez early this season). Not to mention the Italians are giving us goals regardless. If they move on from Jimenez/Akinola, then they should bring another TAM guy in.

The only reason to get a DP, for me, would be if Oso leaves and you aren’t confident in any possible TAM replacement. (If they don’t have a massive board of TAM replacements for Oso going right now in a room at Downsview then that would just be shocking planning given the Laryea debacle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I’m wondering if the next DP should really be a focus of the winter window. There are a variety of genuine needs to fill and the team is clearly performing with the Insigne/Berna duo. Going the Young Money route would be the most effective probably.

They’ll need to bring in a bonafide centreback and keeper and bring genuine depth on in the midfield, fullback, and the wing.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe there is a transfer fee cap for the young money guys, which would be a cheat code if the team was willing to commit resources.

I don’t believe a DP striker is a need. The impact of a decent TAM striker is very well established in this league (we saw it with Jimenez early this season). Not to mention the Italians are giving us goals regardless. If they move on from Jimenez/Akinola, then they should bring another TAM guy in.

The only reason to get a DP, for me, would be if Oso leaves and you aren’t confident in any possible TAM replacement. (If they don’t have a massive board of TAM replacements for Oso going right now in a room at Downsview then that would just be shocking planning given the Laryea debacle)
    I think the DP slot will be filled next summer window when lots of players in Europe come out of contract.

Jorginho is out of contract.
    Belotti only signed 1 year with Roma - he is out of contract again.

This winter should be fully focused on TAM, goalie and solid MLS players for depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I think the DP slot will be filled next summer window when lots of players in Europe come out of contract.

Jorginho is out of contract.
    Belotti only signed 1 year with Roma - he is out of contract again.

This winter should be fully focused on TAM, goalie and solid MLS players for depth.
    With so many players coming out of contract and having a DP slot open, why can't Toronto FC negotiate a buyout (which would be cheaper with an expiring contract that's up in the current year)? If it is on the same level of an Insigne or Bernadeschi, MLS will rubber stamp any purchase. We did amazingly with Free Agency, but it's not the only method of getting talent. There could be a team that could replace (or already has replaced) the loss of someone we might be willing to buy in the winter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think there is a chance that Osorio will be the DP.

I share the view of those who don't really see him as anything more than a max TAM player, but if things break a certain way for him....

It's not likely that he has DP market value, but it's possible, and TFC have to be aware of that ...

There is also the possibility that TFC will go after any other CMNT player that breaks out in Qatar, in the way that TFC spent $36M on Bradley in 2014 (who knows who that could be? Eustaquio? Adukugbe? Laryea? Buchanon?)
    Last edited by ensco; 08-30-2022 at 10:38 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

To me the hardest positions to replace with any other spot than a DP are (in order):

1. Playmaker
    2. Striker
    3. High level box-to-box mid
    4. Anything else.

I hear your point re: guys scoring on non-DP deals. To me, that’s a function of leveraging playmakers like Insigne to make them better than they are. I worry about those guys falling short when the games matter the most (or when the playmaker is injured). LAFC flamed out in the playoffs with this model under Bradley. NER did last year too.

Personally, I’d give it until next summer’s window to see where the most pressing need is. But all else equal, I’d spend the money on someone up top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like I'm the winter, JJ will move on. I like him, but he's not a fit here with the current structure. I'd also look to see if we can ship Akinola to Vancouver or another team. He's not an effective use of our Young Money Slot (assuming we sign a 3rd DP he's our only YM) and a lower budget team might be fine with having him. I'd be looking for a guy who could play anywhere along the top (wings or striker) with that new YM slot if we move Ayo - basically a Gallardo who actually does what Gallardo was supposed to do.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    who knows who that could be? Eustaquio? Adukugbe? Laryea? Buchanon?
    It won't be Laryea, he has eyes on England, and there's a good chance that he could be sold to a Championship team. He's only here for the minutes right now to prepare for the WC.

Eustaquio is a possibility, albeit an expensive one.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It won't be Laryea, he has eyes on England, and there's a good chance that he could be sold to a Championship team. He's only here for the minutes right now to prepare for the WC.

Eustaquio is a possibility, albeit an expensive one.
    Bradley had his eyes 100% on Europe until he was given 6M reasons a year to do otherwise.

All I am saying is, watch this file. If the team fizzles in November, it won't matter, but if they do well, you are going to see a sea change in strategy on that 3rd DP spot, my prediction anyway...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My take
    3rd DP spot is 100% filled this winter. TFC isn’t going to let things like a shot at champions slip past them again. Also they are realizing that they can’t dig out of a giant hole again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    My take
    3rd DP spot is 100% filled this winter. TFC isn’t going to let things like a shot at champions slip past them again. Also they are realizing that they can’t dig out of a giant hole again.
    Although I’d like that I don’t think that will happen. Firstly due to the fact that the European season is in mid season and that would likely require TFC to pay a transfer fee. Secondly, I assume there will be more options available on a free transfer come the summer. Finally, the fact that we have Insigne and Bernadeschi now playing with us means we should already be in a much better spot come the summer transfer window. I do think they’ll try and load up on some additional Depth to help on at LB and RB and CM and CB. If neither akinola or Jimenez scores again this season than I can see them revisiting forwards in the winter as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strong possibility of signing someone to a DP pre-contract in January then trying to work out something with their team to get the player early. Unless the player is playing a critical role on a contending or champions league team still involved in the knockout stages, their season could be over late april ...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    Strong possibility of signing someone to a DP pre-contract in January then trying to work out something with their team to get the player early. Unless the player is playing a critical role on a contending or champions league team still involved in the knockout stages, their season could be over late april ...
    This is more my thinking - the Insigne "swing for the fences with somebody looking for a project" approach might work again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP midfielder to pull the strings would be for me the way to go. And a classic "big man" target man as striker to take the pressure off of Berne and Insigne and provide someone to latch onto crosses...some physicality. Right now we are so weak in the air and the opposition just double/triple teams the two Italians as our strikers aren't a threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This is more my thinking - the Insigne "swing for the fences with somebody looking for a project" approach might work again.
    Bob has good Scandi contacts and a lot of good strikers come up through Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. Someone like Adama Diomande (minus the homesickness), who he signed from Norway in his first year at LAFC and who had 20 goals in 44 games.

(Diomande developed a substance abuse problem, went home, spent six months not playing, then went to Saudi, Qatar and China all in 2021!. He did the usual weird stat line in each of playing eight or nine games — they really are weird renta-leagues — and then signed with Odd in Norway this year.)

Diomande was fast, strong and good wth his head despite not being that tall. Sort of an Ole Kamara type.

If he can land someone like Diomande up top, we can use the DP on a top holder or CB. But I suspect they see the money in goals, because they produce short-term hype, which is what short attention spans and the internet run on. (As someone with a famously short attention span due to ADHD, I still have little sympathy for any of it. Alvin Tofler was right.)
    Last edited by jloome; 08-31-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Berna posted a highlight of his goal the other day and Jorginho liked it on Instagram.

Enough for me to say - bring him to TFC as the third DP! His contract ends in June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob has good Scandi contacts and a lot of good strikers come up through Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. Someone like Adama Diomande (minus the homesickness), who he signed from Norway in his first year at LAFC and who had 20 goals in 44 games.

(Diomande developed a substance abuse problem, went home, spent six months not playing, then went to Saudi, Qatar and China all in 2021!. He did the usual weird stat line in each of playing eight or nine games — they really are weird renta-leagues — and then signed with Odd in Norway this year.)

Diomande was fast, strong and good wth his head despite not being that tall. Sort of an Ole Kamara type.

If he can land someone like Diomande up top, we can use the DP on a top holder or CB. But I suspect they see the money in goals, because they produce short-term hype, which is what short attention spans and the internet run on. (As someone with a famously short attention span due to ADHD, I still have little sympathy for any of it. Alvin Tofler was right.)
    Yeah, that bit of news we got directly from Manning himself, that he’s in charge of DP decisions, strongly suggests ‘media attention’ signings for the media/entertainment owners. I’d be very surprised too if we went the young DP route. Manning not qualified for that sort of work and it’s not splashy enough, for the most part.

(Not to comment on ADHD which I know little about, but smart phone/internet attention spans make ‘old school’ short attention spans seem rather long. At least there used to be a physical, non-mediated world to inhabit. Now the internet governs all and everywhere. Haven’t read Tofler, I will look for his work… in the library, hah.)