Page 15 of 193 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I would not say "relying on the youth" is the problem as I think they are talented enough to compete. "Relying on our youth to play out of their natural position" is the bigger problem in my opinion.
    Give Bob B. his due in assessing the youth talent and placing them at times in unfamiliar positions. He's not in the business of wanting them to fail. The results todate have been better than most of us anticipated at start of season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    I feel it was a mistake fully relying on our youth, this game is certainly showing us this isnt the right way to approach the season
    I disagree. I think it is the perfect way to approach the first half of the season. We're setting up a base of young domestics and seeing which of the youth group can succeed in Bob's system, who can learn to play other positions, and who can be counted on to be impactful while coming off the bench. In a full rebuilding year this is the perfect way to do it because it's working and they are getting some results mixed with some hard lessons. The second half of the season will probably be much different XI but at least now it's known where the issues are without just jumping on journeymen to fill our apparent weaknesses on paper rather than seeing it play out on the field. Also that type of management and Bob's willingness to give youth a shot won't go unnoticed when trying to recruit young players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBackyard View Post
    Give Bob B. his due in assessing the youth talent and placing them at times in unfamiliar positions. He's not in the business of wanting them to fail. The results todate have been better than most of us anticipated at start of season.
    I get that. I also get that we have little other choice for some positions right now. But for some experiments like Shaff as a FB/WB needs to be addressed and something else tried because it is hurting us. Not Shaff's fault though. He is doing his best with what is asked of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is do we really need Thompson, Shaffelburg, Petrasso, Kerr, Nelson, JMR and Franklin? They're all playing roughly the same position and none are exactly lights out. And from a developmental perspective they all can't play (and MLS Next is too low a level for them all), especially once genuine starters are brought in at wing/fullback.

If the club is smart I think they would leverage their decent play to bring in genuinely useful pieces. This team really lacks solid MLS experience in the midfield and fullback.

It might be controversial but Shaff is the best option to move on here. Unless he can play on the right he's going to get nailed to the bench when Insigne comes. He's being forced to play too far back, which has never worked before under Vanney and now under Bradley.
    Last edited by portu; 04-25-2022 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is begging for a rumor. So, here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

Do we really need a Striker knowing now the quality of Jimenez and if Akinola returns to form ? I think our biggest need is a LB and more speed in the middle when you see Osorio out the line up things slow down in the mid.

Go and get Sam Adekugbe at LB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Do we really need a Striker knowing now the quality of Jimenez and if Akinola returns to form ? I think our biggest need is a LB and more speed in the middle when you see Osorio out the line up things slow down in the mid.

Go and get Sam Adekugbe at LB.
    Totally agree.

Why would we do this when we have the leading goal scorer in MLS and he’s getting one chance a game and scoring it. Wait until he gets service!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pure spec

Something about the complete reliance on kids on both sides tells me they have a LB already lined up & possibly also a RB.

I think

a) they thought Richie might stay & didn't realise Auro was not going to "fit in" until too late
    b) BB has tried the 4-3-3 & prefers it but can't do use that with the current state of the FB situation
    c) Priso & Okello were being counted on for midfield speed but MB beats them out in training
    d) they didn't think Jesus was this good
    e) the plan was Priso, Oso & Poz in the middle & they have not figured out how to adjust Poz to work with MB in a midfield 3 with crappy defensive FB support
    f) they are surprised by Mavinga's regression

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think in an alternative universe we’re starting the year with Edwards and Laryea as fullbacks. But it just didn’t work out and they figured they’d run the kids for a bit rather than rush into something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna be an interesting summer window. LB, RB, CM and RW are the places we definitely need reinforcements. If we do have a DP spot available it will definitely be used on an attacker though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is surely strange that he has no appearance on the field whatsoever and only sat on the bench on 2 occasions since his signing. Could be some buyer remorse here. Anyhow, lets see how the kids perform in the ensuing months.
    Finally ...... Richie got onto the field for Nottingham today and played 25 minutes in their 1-0 victory. Substitute due to injury. And ..... the kids are alright.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like everyone is in for him… go for Yarmolenko as a TAM RW/Striker free transfer this summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I hold on to the lifeline that is hope about this possibility, I no longer believe in any meaningful probability that Andrea Belotti will be a TFC Red this summer.
    His own alluded to and mentioned hesitations and desires mixed with a quiet rumor front- engagement on our end, against too much other publicized drumbeat interest from SerieA and EPL suggests to me we are not among the main options in the running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want a central midfielder. We’ll come around to the fact Bradley has lost a step eventually. And if we don’t I want to guard against Osorio leaving and being completely screwed.

I think of how Joao Paulo plays for Seattle and think that’s 100% worth the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally ...... Richie got onto the field for Nottingham today and played 25 minutes in their 1-0 victory. Substitute due to injury. And ..... the kids are alright.
    Almost had an assist, too. Hopefully he gets a chance before next season to take over on the right when Spence leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Pure spec

Something about the complete reliance on kids on both sides tells me they have a LB already lined up & possibly also a RB.

I think

a) they thought Richie might stay & didn't realise Auro was not going to "fit in" until too late
    b) BB has tried the 4-3-3 & prefers it but can't do use that with the current state of the FB situation
    c) Priso & Okello were being counted on for midfield speed but MB beats them out in training
    d) they didn't think Jesus was this good
    e) the plan was Priso, Oso & Poz in the middle & they have not figured out how to adjust Poz to work with MB in a midfield 3 with crappy defensive FB support
    f) they are surprised by Mavinga's regression
    A fair list of assessments.
    I also do not think your insightful speculation is unreasonable.
    I do think it would be foolish not to believe that there is an ongoing- ever adjusting- plan by BB for his intentions; main play system.
    I suspect we are now likely in store for some left-field additions this summer.
    Maybe and hopefully some more 'money' BB connects and magic from Eastern European Leagues.
    My spidey sense is telling me we may have hesitated or fumbled on Mattia Destro and he has now passed on us more than we moved on from him.
    BTW, I understand the prevailing thought is so what? The consensus being we got JJ, but I actually believe for their price, the production and depth they both offer, we need and could have afforded both as quality outlets for Poz and Lorenzo without sacrificing our ability to realistically address most of our other on-field needs.
    I am even doubting Mimmo's arrival; although that mostly still seems probable at this point to me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    While I hold on to the lifeline that is hope about this possibility, I no longer believe in any meaningful probability that Andrea Belotti will be a TFC Red this summer.
    His own alluded to and mentioned hesitations and desires mixed with a quiet rumor front- engagement on our end, against too much other publicized drumbeat interest from SerieA and EPL suggests to me we are not among the main options in the running.
    Who here thought that Insigne was coming ? MLSE has the money, show it to Belotti and watch how fast he’s in Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want Belotti. I believe in Jesus...
    Jesus Jimimez

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I don't want Belotti. I believe in Jesus...
    Jesus Jimimez
    ^this. LOL

We need a destroyer in the midfield (maybe we already have one) but this is an imperative.

A real FB, either side.

Would really like a RW threat just to scare the crap out of people. I really like the idea of Yarmolenko or similar.

Would like to see us be able to take 15-17 pts in our next 10 before the summer window… to be in the playoff hunt but really the only thing i want is to get back in the CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might it always feel this way. But, we are a very spoiled and lucky fanbase to even have the ability to debate the merits of bringing in a 28 year old Serie A striker worth roughly 30 million after bringing in a 30 year old who was integral in Italy winning the Euro's 9 months ago.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Who here thought that Insigne was coming ? MLSE has the money, show it to Belotti and watch how fast he’s in Toronto
    People have indicated already he's been shown the money & its more then what Insigne is getting & Bellotti's agent is trying to see if somebody else will come close to that.

They won't.

Insigne's agent did the same thing.

Belotti might still choose to not come here in order to stay in Europe but it won't be for lack of trying.

I am intrigued to know what the plan B here is - we've heard very little about other rumoured attackers.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-27-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I was for Belotti, his obvious reluctance to come and the ascension of Jimenez as a goal-scorer has made me get off the hype train. Destro is without a contract and Genoa is surely getting relegated. We go for him and we wouldn't break the bank and can address other needs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have indicated already he's been shown the money & its more then what Insigne is getting & Bellotti's agent is trying to see if somebody else will come close to that.

They won't.

Insigne's agent did the same thing.

Belotti might still choose to not come here in order to stay in Europe but it won't be for lack of trying.

I am intrigued to know what the plan B here is - we've heard very little about other rumoured attackers.
    I don't believe Bellotti wants to come here. This is all about trying to get the European clubs he wants to play for to pay more.

Italy isn't that far from the UK, you can still reasonably have times to visit friends and family. In North America that's only reasonable in the off-season. So moving to North America isn't for everyone.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-27-2022 at 09:27 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Yeah, by all accounts MLSE/Manning did park... the heavier than even Insigne's... Brinks Truck in front of him to no avail; clear hesitation on Belotti's part.
    As OtD and Ot suggest, Belotti and camp are likely leveraging such varying interests to max out his own leanings; likely closer to 'home'.
    I believe he is married and IIRC his wife is a working b-media personality. There may be a host of other considerations at play; family weights anchoring him.
    Unfortunately, some Cats require more than just the Tuna.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm looking at the team stats page for MLS & noticed something.

We have, by far, the lowest amount of shots taken in the league.

We average 7 a game where as everybody else averages between 11-15.

Now, when we shoot, we are on target more then anybody else & goals / shot we are the best in the league too.

We also don't do the long ball & are about the middle in terms of passing attempts.

We don't give up a ton of shot, can't keep a clean sheet, are low on defenders winning duels but high for the league in duels won (really good midfield press)

So, we are a team hoping for a 2-1 win with very accurate attackers.

I look at this & I know its a stereotype but

We are already an Italian team....
    OtD
    Missed this.
    Fine conclusion.
    The rest of my day...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope Belotti rumour isn't true. Agree with others that a proper midfielder is needed.

2014 Michael Bradley is the DP this team needs. And we need fullbacks ASAP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I would take a pass on Belotti like I said earlier. If we think an Italian is needed then hit up Destro for TAM but we should get a newer, younger version of Bradley in midfield and scrape through Poland for a FB (maybe a DM too). I believe there are bargains to be had there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bellotti was offered terms not as much as Insinge and he declined wanting they same as Insinge. TFC was never going to pay him that much and it went dead a long time ago

From what I was told there have been 0 discussions since he rejected the initial contract. This is an agent trying to drum up interest or people who have no clue

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    From what I was told there have been 0 discussions since he rejected the initial contract. This is an agent trying to drum up interest or people who have no clue
    Good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Bellotti was offered terms not as much as Insinge and he declined wanting they same as Insinge. TFC was never going to pay him that much and it went dead a long time ago

makes sense.

Destro is out of contract and a much cheaper option if we're looking for a striker.

but we desperately need fullbacks, a CM and RW before that.

jesus, akinola, perruzza can do the job this year.

any insight as to who they are looking at now Goodson?
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 04-27-2022 at 04:00 PM.