Page 95 of 193 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I wonder if there are any sort of published 'Moneyball' MLS theories visa-vie roster construction / player positions out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    ^ I wonder if there are any sort of published 'Moneyball' MLS theories visa-vie roster construction / player positions out there?
    Any publication would struggle for relevancy - the rules change too substantially and often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post of Mimmo and Lorenzo dressing room chatting or singing?
    What? Seems to not have audio; can't get it working.
    Is it me, am I doing something wrong?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1543304577914642432

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post of Mimmo and Lorenzo dressing room chatting or singing?
    What? Seems to not have audio; can't get it working.
    Is it me, am I doing something wrong?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1543304577914642432
    It was a while ago and probably a rip of the instagram post they made

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep! Not a second thought; but a clarification.
    I'll be the first to admit it, a DP RB is possibly the craziest and unwisest move for a DP of them all.
    Yet it is my perception, in the MLS pool sense and quality wise, that this sort of position, even LB, seems to be the hardest to address in a meaningful way.
    EDIT: Mos def a high salary/ lower TAM signing would likely suffice and overall offer better value in DP strategy for TFC.
    It's a CB or a DDM.
    Danilo can be both; just saying.
    Given how bad we've been defensively, and that we'll be playing a 4-3-3, I'd be inclined to get someone who is good defensively. Like a Beita. We don't really need to use wingbacks in that formation. I don't think it's worth a DP or TAM spot for a defensive RB. If I was doing a DP wingback, it would be someone with the offensive skills. Like an MLS level Trent or Reece James.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My concern and IIRC this is at least the 'second time' in the last few matches that Oso has obviously 'expressed' his frustrations on pitch.
    His real displeasure in team performance at critical moments in such an emotional and public manner.
    Are such outbursts to be expected? Just a display of passion and commitment?
    Or a sign and symptom of something else? Contract negotiations and progress?
    IMHO ... Osorio is a TAM player and Bradley is not. If we took from Bradley to pay Osorio, I wouldn't question it. He's done nothing but prove to be indispensable to TFC and the National Team. Hoping he's a Red for Life, and the FO makes it happen. #TFCTillIDie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s being reported on MLS that 5 or 6 teams are vying for Suarez. Anyone think TFC is one of those teams? It says he’s concerned about joining a team that might not make the playoffs. He wants playing time before Qatar.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    It’s being reported on MLS that 5 or 6 teams are vying for Suarez. Anyone think TFC is one of those teams? It says he’s concerned about joining a team that might not make the playoffs. He wants playing time before Qatar.
    i'd bet anything we aren't one of the teams in for him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't see him on the Italian National Team roster. Can't be TFC then.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s being reported on MLS that 5 or 6 teams are vying for Suarez. Anyone think TFC is one of those teams?
    No chance. Toronto has put it out there they aren't doing what other teams are doing. If it's a player that has 5 or 6 teams to choose from (although that could be agent/player hyperbole), then Toronto wouldn't be anywhere near that. Especially what would be basically a bidding war for a 35 year old player that probably wants a 3.5 year contract.

Maybe not NO chance, but I think this would go against their current vision, and would basically make them LA Galaxy. There was a time that was enough, but that time has passed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our new signings seeing some Toronto celeb action. MLSE probably putting out the red carpet with connections in full force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    IMHO ... Osorio is a TAM player and Bradley is not. If we took from Bradley to pay Osorio, I wouldn't question it. He's done nothing but prove to be indispensable to TFC and the National Team. Hoping he's a Red for Life, and the FO makes it happen. #TFCTillIDie
    I would support and enjoy that Totti-esque story outcome for Osorio.
    There are less and less of those in any sports these days.
    He certainly is deserving of the #TFCTillIDie mantle, Captaincy and #AsMuchTamAsWeCan in lieu of DP compensation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Our new signings seeing some Toronto celeb action. MLSE probably putting out the red carpet with connections in full force.

What's doing good ole Arnie in T.O.?
    Applying for a strenght/fitness coaching job for TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    No chance. Toronto has put it out there they aren't doing what other teams are doing. If it's a player that has 5 or 6 teams to choose from (although that could be agent/player hyperbole), then Toronto wouldn't be anywhere near that. Especially what would be basically a bidding war for a 35 year old player that probably wants a 3.5 year contract.

Maybe not NO chance, but I think this would go against their current vision, and would basically make them LA Galaxy. There was a time that was enough, but that time has passed.
    To be fair, he isn't your average 35 year old player. He is probably a top 20 player of all time and still performs at a high level. I tend to agree we are probably not in the running, but a 35 year old Saurez is still a hell of a signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read Suarez's comments that he gave in a radio interview and my gut says we are one of the teams that registered interest.

He said it's important that if he comes that it's to a team that makes the playoffs as he doesn't want a gap between end of regular season and start of the world Cup. He mentioned that a couple of the teams didn't have DP slots and wanted him for January and the other teams weren't in a playoff space currently and may not make it....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to post the daily reminder that we still need defenders and that Suarez is just a nice to have at this stage.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I would like to post the daily reminder that we still need defenders and that Suarez is just a nice to have at this stage.
    But do we need DP defenders?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Suarez TAM-able? I would have figured no but in a world where Bale is I can only imagine he is as well

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Is Suarez TAM-able? I would have figured no but in a world where Bale is I can only imagine he is as well
    Most likely in the same way Bale was but I would rather not have him. We should address the problem areas before adding luxury players as that's burned us in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Given how bad we've been defensively, and that we'll be playing a 4-3-3, I'd be inclined to get someone who is good defensively. Like a Beita. We don't really need to use wingbacks in that formation. I don't think it's worth a DP or TAM spot for a defensive RB. If I was doing a DP wingback, it would be someone with the offensive skills. Like an MLS level Trent or Reece James.
    Interesting, solid and excellent reference recommendations.
    Believing... Trent is the Alexander-Arnold one and Recce is not the Doncaster Rovers but Chelsea one.
    Still, the question remains... identifying MLS level similarly skilled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think it’s borderline outrageous that the backline is still in the state it’s in.

Moves should have been lined up ready to go for July 7th for a right back. Deals are able to be confirmed 24/7, including outside windows, the opening of the window simply notes when a player can actually start playing for another club.

With Salcedo out you will need to add two starters on the backline to even be competitive.

Who is in the front office? Like who in the hell is running deals and managing this roster?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, solid and excellent reference recommendations.
    Believing... Trent is the Alexander-Arnold one and Recce is not the Doncaster Rovers but Chelsea one.
    Still, the question remains... identifying MLS level similarly skilled.
    Yes, that's who I was thinking, lol. If they were high level, they could be worth a DP spot as that can be a massive asset. Don't ask me who the MLS level one is though, I have no idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kaye played some DM under Bradley including champions league final so its possible hes playing there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I still think it’s borderline outrageous that the backline is still in the state it’s in.

Moves should have been lined up ready to go for July 7th for a right back. Deals are able to be confirmed 24/7, including outside windows, the opening of the window simply notes when a player can actually start playing for another club.

With Salcedo out you will need to add two starters on the backline to even be competitive.

Who is in the front office? Like who in the hell is running deals and managing this roster?
    I agree about the right back. Six months to at least identify options; plan a, b, c, etc...
    Salcedo is an unexpected and / or domino effect; gets the proverbial pass.
    I also do not believe the Mavinga situation was not contemplated; scenarios and options as well.
    I hope this isn't a question of Bob, Bill and Lino Di Cuollo administratively not being able to multi-task.
    I hope there isn't a monkey in the Bernardeschi wrench that's requiring all hands to the postponement of other pressing window business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a pretty chaotic, difficult to understand league but there was an MLS.com Matt Doyle thing a while back on how to be like Seattle vis a vie roster construction. We’ve been pretty far from this of late (and note BB was involved in one of the “recent cautionary tales”) and reasonably close to it under Vanney when we were best.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/the-b...-ccl-contender

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree about the right back. Six months to at least identify options; plan a, b, c, etc...
    I also do not believe the Mavinga situation was not contemplated; scenarios and options as well.
    I hope this isn't a question of Bob, Bill and Lino Di Cuollo administratively not being able to multi-task.
    I hope there isn't a monkey in the Bernardeschi wrench that's requiring all hands to the postponement of other pressing window business.
    Bradley was most concerned about clearing what he identified as dead wood. Seems once training camp began he coached and that was pretty much that. Not a recipe for winning anything soon but as part of a a three window plan it gets you somewhere. I do too still wonder about Manning as in season semi-GM though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if Bernadeschi requires all hands on deck at this very moment, it did not require that for the last three months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    It’s a pretty chaotic, difficult to understand league but there was an MLS.com Matt Doyle thing a while back on how to be like Seattle vis a vie roster construction. We’ve been pretty far from this of late (and note BB was involved in one of the “recent cautionary tales”) and reasonably close to it under Vanney when we were best.

Thanks los sonadores!
    I will review.
    I am starting 'to dream the impossible dream', again!
    Of Shields, MLS Cups, Leagues Cups and CCL Trophies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post

Herein lies why we’ve been shit for two years and our current problem (MB, Mavinga, GK, the backline):

“When Seattle have been ready to transition guys out of core status, the replacement has always been lined up and ready to slot in. It’s hard to do that – it takes a degree of ruthlessness as well as clear-eyed talent assessment – but it’s necessary in order to keep the train rolling.”

The MAK move however does embody the not-skimping on your spine principle. Still, a massive overpay especially with more glaring holes to address (which seem to be actively overlooked).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Herein lies why we’ve been shit for two years and our current problem (MB, Mavinga, GK, the backline):

“When Seattle have been ready to transition guys out of core status, the replacement has always been lined up and ready to slot in. It’s hard to do that – it takes a degree of ruthlessness as well as clear-eyed talent assessment – but it’s necessary in order to keep the train rolling.”

The MAK move however does embody the not-skimping on your spine principle. Still, a massive overpay especially with more glaring holes to address (which seem to be actively overlooked).
    Window has been open 5 days.

And yes, things can be done months ahead if the players are being bought from abroad but generally not with moves from within MLS. Also just because we need FBs and a CB doesn't mean there's a MLS team willing to part with any of these (who are worth getting) this early in the window so it's early to say they're being overlooked.