Page 149 of 193 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,470 of 5785
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    yeah, absolutely no chance this happens lol.

league is about to have about 5X as much money per year, i'd be shocked if they didn't add at least one more DP spot, or just go for a hard salary cap in a few years (of like 30 mill)
    The leagues competition committee is controlled by the guys from Vancouver & Dallas along with NER & Minnesota - IIRC, the only big spending team on that committee is NYC. These are the guys who make the decision to lessen the potential of the 3rd DP by creating the U22 initiative - they think Almiron & Davies are endlessly repeatable.

Don't underestimate the penny pinchers desire to control what the spenders can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Don't underestimate the penny pinchers desire to control what the spenders can do.
    Absolutely.

A battle that ebbs and flows towards a 'rising tide that lifts all boats'.

Yet, also, do not underestimate the influence of other stakeholders; Broadcast Media, Supporters & Viewership, FIFA, MLSPA Factions....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC under the new CBA the owners can't just unilaterally add DP spots or TAM like initiatives anymore. They have to be bargained. So if there is truth to this you'd be hearing about bargaining and what the players want in return....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Vitesse Arnhem right-back and Israeli national team captain Eli Dasa is out of contract. Free, 71 games in the Eredivisie over the last three seasons.

I'd be surprised if MLS clubs weren't looking at him.
    For a player like him, it's never 'A Bridge Too Far'.
    A very interesting player story and background.
    Your belief is confirmed?
    Somewhat?
    By Chris Smith on 06JUL22...

https://www.90min.com/posts/mls-club...-back-eli-dasa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The leagues competition committee is controlled by the guys from Vancouver & Dallas along with NER & Minnesota - IIRC, the only big spending team on that committee is NYC. These are the guys who make the decision to lessen the potential of the 3rd DP by creating the U22 initiative - they think Almiron & Davies are endlessly repeatable.

But that said, the counter balance to this is: 1) the risk of a break-away league or super league, 2) the players themselves who want to have more bargaining rights

At one point, someone had estimated the gate receipts for Seattle was the equivalent of something like 1/3rd if the total for all MLS teams in the US. It’s important to remember who is rowing the boat vs. who is sitting in it.

I ultimately agree with you that cheap owners will keep spending relatively in check. But I wouldn’t rule out some reasonable concessions here to increase salary flexibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the Belotti shine fades into sunset, there is a sliver of hope that not all the Roma dominoes fall...

https://www-corrieregiallorosso-com....n&_x_tr_pto=sc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    IIRC under the new CBA the owners can't just unilaterally add DP spots or TAM like initiatives anymore. They have to be bargained. So if there is truth to this you'd be hearing about bargaining and what the players want in return....
    Source on this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing for sure is that the cheapo owners would much rather add DP spots or more TAM spots than ever raise the league minimum. I'm sure the PA would try to get some movement on that and/or free agency if the league did want to add more spots. It's common knowledge that the incomes will go up so you can bet the players would want a cut and for the owners, these special designation spots are easier because you don't have to use them or you can tag a player as a DP and pay him $800K like Colorado & Philly did.

For the owners, although a while away, it might smart to do a few concessions here and there over the next few years or that next CBA will be MLS armageddon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    As the Belotti shine fades into sunset, there is a sliver of hope that not all the Roma dominoes fall...

https://www-corrieregiallorosso-com....n&_x_tr_pto=sc
    Another scatterbrain thought on this.
    Some say the real bellwether to the Belotti/Roma signing is the movement of Zaniolo.
    Latest is that Mourinho seems to have just blocked that move to Spurs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Source on this?
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...olds-the-power
    Mentions it here - it says that the MLSPA must be consulted. I find it hard to imagine that the MLSPA would turn down more money (through DP and TAM) coming to players, but they may want to make sure that all players have the ability to benefit from additional money and not just go to players making 1.6M+ or 600k+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing this league could do is create a straightforward salary cap and remove transfer fees, DPs, homegrowns (permanently) from consideration.

Summary
    - Floor of $8m
    - Ceiling of $12m
    - No more GAM/TAM. Instead, you get bonuses applied to your cieling and you can trade excess cap space as $$$.

In our case that means Insigne and Bernadeschi don’t count against the cap. And all our young guys don’t count against our cap for the duration of their career so long as they don’t transfer out permanently.

If we qualify for CCL or finish last the usual GAM bonus money temporarily raises our cap cieling.

The opposite, (I.e 3rd DP tax) can apply as a penalty which lowers the cieling.

By allowing clubs to trade their cap space, everyone - other clubs, fans, players - is always aware of the amount of tradeable cash on hand. In this case, technically, you have $4m to trade and play around with.
    Last edited by portu; 08-02-2022 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The best thing this league could do is create a straightforward salary cap and remove transfer fees, DPs, homegrowns (permanently) from consideration.

Summary
    - Floor of $8m
    - Ceiling of $12m
    - No more GAM/TAM. Instead, you get bonuses applied to your cieling and you can trade excess cap space as $$$.

In our case that means Insigne and Bernadeschi don’t count against the cap. And all our young guys don’t count against our cap for the duration of their career so long as they don’t transfer out permanently.

If we qualify for CCL or finish last the usual GAM bonus money temporarily raises our cap cieling.

The opposite, (I.e 3rd DP tax) can apply as a penalty which lowers the cieling.

By allowing clubs to trade their cap space, everyone - other clubs, fans, players - is always aware of the amount of tradeable cash on hand. In this case, technically, you have $4m to trade and play around with.
    The only reason DPs, TAM and all the complex rules exist is to ensure the lowest earners earn the least amount of money and skewing the spend to the players who draw money, they want the floor as low as possible. It's also why discovery rights etc exist, so the teams don't bid against each other driving the value of middling players up. I suspect it'd take alot to drag us to something like this, but, this is also why the players union will fight against more DP slots without getting something closer to this in exchange

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Mentions it here - it says that the MLSPA must be consulted. I find it hard to imagine that the MLSPA would turn down more money (through DP and TAM) coming to players, but they may want to make sure that all players have the ability to benefit from additional money and not just go to players making 1.6M+ or 600k+
    Interesting piece, though is some grey language being used in the article maybe?
    To quote... 'Perhaps more critically, the league will no longer be able to impose future mechanisms like TAM unilaterally; instead, they must consult the MLSPA first.'
    What does this mean? Really? No follow-up or clarification is offered on such a significant premise?
    Perhaps? Fine, the League/Ownership consults with MLSPA, then they simply impose?
    It does not state 'unequivocally' that in the end MLSPA has the 'ability/right' to refute/impede/stop such actions?
    Honestly, I would not be surprised that there is also some sort of unmentioned clause/mechanism workaround for that quoted statement.
    Lawyers be lawyering!
    I mean the 'consultation' could be just so that the MLSPA doesn't get blindsided from one day to the next with impositions.
    Similar to a mediation period of 6 months before it's implemented with or without their approval. A warning period in all but name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new CBA still hasnt been published by MLSPA but this rule/topic/point (whatever you want to call it) is noted on their site.

http://mlsplayers.org/2020-cba

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah for sure. The owners would have probably have to raise the floor, raise the overall cap to help mid-range players, and probably lower the requirements for free agency. I'd much rather have it as Portu said above but I can't see anything like that happening until the next CBA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, well, well...
    Wow!
    Apart from the source...
    If true?
    None of the above discussed really then matters?
    Matters much less?

Rosters are going to get much more interesting?

"Will Forbes" is not a source, it's a random guy with a fake name pretending to have inside info. He has no more information than anyone on this board, he's just guessing.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    "Will Forbes" is not a source, it's a random guy with a fake name pretending to have inside info. He has no more information than anyone on this board, he's just guessing.
    Thank you. I really wish people would stop posting Forbes; he’s been utterly debunked as a fraud with zero media role and no connections.

There are all sorts of easy guesses about players coming to MLS, as well as foreign and domestic news sources that aren’t widely seen that they can cadge ideas from.

“Will Forbes” could have easily made the Dasa right-back suggestion I did in this thread as a “sources say” and someone would’ve found the reference Mr. I found, now all of a sudden it’s realistic… only the article would’ve proceeded me saying it by nearly a month, so could be the “source”… or he could just troll Transfermarkt’s “Free Agents” list the way I did.

It’s the theory that a broken clock still reads accurately twice per day. The hands aren’t moving, it doesn’t work, it can’t be accurately referenced at any time.. but it can still be right sometimes.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-02-2022 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah enough of Forbes and his rumors here. Also this would technically be a 2023 issue and we're on the 2022 roster thread.

So back to that; since we're apparently in for Adekugbe, has he ever played RB? Has Criscito?

I know people get detailed stats on who played where and how often from some website but I have no idea where that is. Just want to see how he would fit other than moving Criscito to CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I understand that.
    I am aware.
    I get he is a regurgitator or just deductive in his posts.

Hence, why I've tried to qualify such highlights with...
    "They say 'People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference'.
    I think I know the difference. Still, sand is all that is being served!"

I respect your reminder.
    I will try from now on to use 'mentions' instead of 'source'.
    Though, please realize that Steve Buffery seems to reference him as a source.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I see that but Buffery has the incentive of getting clicks and views and when the FO is as tight lipped as they have been then you post whatever to keep your followers engaged.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that.
    I am aware.
    I get he is a regurgitator or just deductive in his posts.

Hence, why I've tried to qualify such highlights with...
    "They say 'People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference'.
    I think I know the difference. Still, sand is all that is being served!"

I respect your reminder.
    I will try from now on to use 'mentions' instead of 'source'.
    No need to quote the guy, link to him, or give him views or pseudo credibility in any way. Not everyone who comes here knows he's a fraud. You can say, "one dude thinks there may be 2 more DP slots, what do you all think?"

BTW, my take is that no way is there going to be 2 more DP slots. There may be some finagling around the young DP rule though, but basically the clubs who are cheapskate dominate the seats on the competition committee, so any changes will be gradual and cautious.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-02-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yeah enough of Forbes and his rumors here. Also this would technically be a 2023 issue and we're on the 2022 roster thread.

So back to that; since we're apparently in for Adekugbe, has he ever played RB? Has Criscito?

I know people get detailed stats on who played where and how often from some website but I have no idea where that is. Just want to see how he would fit other than moving Criscito to CB.
    Criscito would an awesome LCB in MLS I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    ...since we're apparently in for Adekugbe, has he ever played RB? Has Criscito? I know people get detailed stats on who played where and how often from some website but I have no idea where that is. Just want to see how he would fit other than moving Criscito to CB.
    My understanding is that he has played predominantly LB with enough/some CB-L.

If Adekugbe is in-coming, then Mavinga is out-going?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He’d be great at it. very positionally sound, good tackler, great exit passes. Not so hot in the air maybe but Mcnaughton and Henry are both beasts in the air.

I suspect we’ll be a lot tighter with Salcedo gone. A lot of the inability to play as a cohesive unit was his maverick nature, and the fact that he made grotesque errors, of the type that made me think he was point shaving for some gambling cartel.

Seriously, go back and look at some of the errors he made. Challenges so early he couldn’t possibly have won them, guys walking around him on the byline because he goes in with tackle instead of getting position on the line.

These were all avoidable, and I have a hard time believing so many of them were accidental from a Mexican International with two years in the Bundesliga.

The dude was an absolute bombscare. Sure, it coincided with getting in new talent, but the back line hasn’t looked atrocious since, other than Kosi against Vancouver and Montreal.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-02-2022 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Criscito is a great LB whose main skills is passing and distribution into the box. Playing him deep at CB means that skillset doesn't play up. Get a stud CB instead and let the Criscito/Insigne partnership flourish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Criscito is a great LB whose main skills is passing and distribution into the box. Playing him deep at CB means that skillset doesn't play up. Get a stud CB instead and let the Criscito/Insigne partnership flourish.
    It’s true, we’d lose the attacking side of his game which has been really impressive. If he gets to the point where he’s getting killed on speed though it’s an option. His positioning has been so good so far that the few times they’ve gotten around him it hasn’t really mattered, he’s already deep enough to either recover or have help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the flip side his distribution from CB would be better to breakdown a press when they play out from the back. Kind of like how bonnucci plays. Where he starts attacks from the back. If they could find a competent lb I would slide Cristico inside and they would be exponentially better as he could command the line.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    On the flip side his distribution from CB would be better to breakdown a press when they play out from the back. Kind of like how bonnucci plays. Where he starts attacks from the back. If they could find a competent lb I would slide Cristico inside and they would be exponentially better as he could command the line.
    I think we would still need a more proven RB on top though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they’re going to artificially limit the player pool to ex-Serie A and CANMNT then we are so fucked next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If they’re going to artificially limit the player pool to ex-Serie A and CANMNT then we are so fucked next year.
    I think they add MLS to the list of possible leagues to get players from this winter.