Page 126 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,780 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ...I have speculated elsewhere that the decision to splash a hundred million over there originates with Tanenbaum.
    Fratello, on this, there is no daylight whatsoever between us.
    How 'convenient cutout' is it that soon after such a decision was likely made...
    The MLSE President and CEO Michael Friisdahl announces he's stepping down and moving on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having done an exhaustive review of transfermarkt, as one does, I have concluded that if TFC is bringing in an Italian striker, it's Berardi from Sassuolo.

He is moving this summer. He is just turning 28, and has been a scoring machine over there.

Every major club in Europe is rumoured to be in on him. Sassuolo want 50M euros for him, but the whole deal would be what, 100M euros? Not that much more than Insigne. I mean, what is money for? Are we all in on the Italian Job, or not?

The leaders for him were supposedly Roma but they just signed Dybala… the flaw in my theory would be that it seems he is not a true striker, he plays a lot of winger, we seem full up on expensive Italians with that profile… but so what.

He's available. He's Italian. Shock and awe baby. Lets go.

His wife said they are willing to live anywhere in the world.

https://football-italia.net/berardi-...eave-sassuolo/
    This is why I value, appreciate, respect, enjoy and dare say love, this community; being apart of it.
    Another very fine identification and contribution.
    I live for the in-between; the space from possibility to probability.
    Lots of speculation fun there to be had.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What people expect: another Italian $$$$ DP $$$$

What we should really expect: an MLS defender with a similar CV to O'Neil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...want 50M euros for him, but the whole deal would be what, 100M euros?… the flaw in my theory would be that it seems he is not a true striker, he plays a lot of winger, we seem full up on expensive Italians with that profile… but so what. He's available. He's Italian. Shock and awe baby. Lets go. His wife said they are willing to live anywhere in the world

https://football-italia.net/berardi-...eave-sassuolo/
    Realistically, I think MLSE won't compete with those sorts of Transfer Fees; at least not yet!
    On Berardi's positioning/use, only if the intention for Fede is not to play a more centralized role up front or as part but just below the front line; Domenico on the right should work then.

P.S.
    Remember King T was in on one of the failed pursuits, as a partner, of Chelsea.
    I think he has itches to scratch visa-vie footy.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-20-2022 at 08:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Realistically, I think MLSE won't compete with those sorts of Transfer Fees; at least not yet!
    On Berardi's positioning/use, only if the intention for Fede is not to play a more centralized role up front or as part but just below the front line; Domenico on the right should work then.

P.S.
    Remember King T was in on one of the failed pursuits, as a partner, of Chelsea.
    I think he has itches to scratch visa-vie footy.
    I stopped thinking about what they won't do after they signed Insigne. If I ran MLSE I would have never allowed that.

But since they are doing it, I have no idea where they might draw the line. Maybe there is no line.

Excellent point re Larry T. He has taking multiple runs at EPL clubs. You are right, he is enamoured of the bigger game here.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yes. We should judge the CF with zero service and 8 goals that is being forced to drop deeper than our former #10 to get touches about his low end TAM contract.

And then we should get a vastly overpaid hype clown to come here and underperform as he has for 80% of his career on what would be DP money.

Air must be thin up in 223.
    For a clown that’s underperforming he sure fooled Roberto Mancini who called Mario up for the national team this year. Guess Roberto should call on the brilliant minds of some RPB contributors first for their top notch opinions on players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    For a clown that’s underperforming he sure fooled Roberto Mancini who called Mario up for the national team this year. Guess Roberto should call on the brilliant minds of some RPB contributors first for their top notch opinions on players.
    Yes because getting called up and not playing for a team that didn't qualify for the WC is far more important than the player's actual LONG club career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s face facts in the room here, with MLS converting it’s service to a streaming provider and other leagues likely to fallow, the business case for a traditional teleco to own sports franchises is dying down quite a bit. I would venture any board worth its salt would be twisting arms to talk divestiture.

As much as there are references to Larry on here, his pockets are small compared to the telcos. He’s really just the face they allow to look like the franchise owner. Plus, he’s tying up some of his own capital, which is no skin off Bogers back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. We should judge the CF with zero service and 8 goals that is being forced to drop deeper than our former #10 to get touches about his low end TAM contract.

And then we should get a vastly overpaid hype clown to come here and underperform as he has for 80% of his career on what would be DP money.

Air must be thin up in 223.
    About JJ?
    The case you bring forth is more than reasonable; it is accurate.
    For me JJ is a gem and I support(ed) the acquisition.
    Without wanting to cause any controversy, I equate him with Osorio.
    Not quite DP but close enough. And any MLS team really needs and can use those sorts of players as much as possible.
    It is important to note that a lot of the supporter reports on JJ I read were positive.
    But enough suggested the caveat that he is streaky; hot and cold.

On SuperMario?
    It's an open book. It is what it is.
    The potential of a circus, bad or good, will follow him no matter what.
    Perhaps what was, will not be again. The bad sideshows have dissipated.
    That is the roll of the dice on him.
    I have no insight if it ever was or would be a real possibility TFC would want to or could sign him.
    Just stupid but fun speculating.
    I do think he is a representative sports figure. Italian, but so much more; individually and socially.
    And could be in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and the USA.
    MLSE, The Hand, went all in on Kawahi, and some may argue against the concerns that accompanied him.
    I think Toronto would have a lot to offer Mario.
    And Mario would have a lot to offer Toronto.

Aaah, who knows?
    I am just someone,
    in front of a screen,
    in a chair,
    in a basement,
    with moldy air,
    with some light piercing through a small window,
    having trouble breathing.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-20-2022 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balotelli was a nut case , not anymore, cleaned up his act big time, I take Balo in a NY minute , as the more I watch JJ the more I’m beginning to believe this is another poor decision made by Coach Bradley . I am correct that we are paying JJ close to a million a season?
    What on Earth are you talking about? He has nine goals in 18 games on a terrible team that provides no service.

Yeah, total flop.

Balotelli’s not coming. He’s a clown show. The fact that he’s been quiet for the last few years isn’t going to change that perception, and they’re sure as shit not giving a DP deal to a guy who had 13 goals last year in Turkey until a final game against a weak opponent gifted him five more.

He also scored single-digit goals in Serie B the year before that, so… no, not going to happen.

Apparently, Bernadeschi turned down Fulham for us, which is sort surprising.

I suspect he will come rather good, more Fiorentina sort of numbers than Juve. Here’s hoping, anyway.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-20-2022 at 09:29 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    What on Earth are you talking about? He has nine goals in 18 games on a terrible team that provides no service.

Yeah, total flop.

Balotelli’s not coming. He’s a clown show. The fact that he’s been quiet for the last few years isn’t going to change that perception, and they’re sure as shit not giving a DP deal to a guy who had 13 goals last year in Turkey until a final game against a weak opponent gifted him five more.

He also scored single-digit goals in Serie B the year before that, so… no, not going to happen.

Apparently, Bernadeschi turned down Fulham for us, which is sort surprising.

I suspect he will come rather good, more Fiorentina sort of numbers than Juve. Here’s hoping, anyway.
    Yea ok a guy like JJ who never in life played in anything above the Polish league is somehow on par with a player who was in the last cuts for Italys World Cup playoff squad this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea ok a guy like JJ who never in life played in anything above the Polish league is somehow on par with a player who was in the last cuts for Italys World Cup playoff squad this year.
    An argument no one has made but you.

Also, I couldnt’ give a shit if he was the mascot for the Iowa Corn Huskers Marching Band last year; he has nine goals in 18 games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because Mancini called up his former project to selection camp as a reward for somewhat resurrecting his career doesn't make him anything other than what his actual numbers and history show; a bust.

Nothing based on Balotelli's past says he is any better than the Polish league minus his passport. He was never a 'star' for his football, only his clownery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poland is in the World Cup. Italy lost out to North Macedonia. 🤔

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to twist that knife in a little further...
    Another hot-take...
    Maybe Mimmo and Lorenziello were just brought in to 'manage' Mario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because Mancini called up his former project to selection camp as a reward for somewhat resurrecting his career doesn't make him anything other than what his actual numbers and history show; a bust.

Nothing based on Balotelli's past says he is any better than the Polish league minus his passport. He was never a 'star' for his football, only his clownery.
    yes he is a headcase and he is not coming here,did you watch the 2012 euro and 25 goals in 40 games for milan he can score and would score a boatload here,but he is no JJ who scored 7 in first 9 game and 1 since

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let’s face facts in the room here, with MLS converting it’s service to a streaming provider and other leagues likely to fallow, the business case for a traditional teleco to own sports franchises is dying down quite a bit. I would venture any board worth its salt would be twisting arms to talk divestiture.

As much as there are references to Larry on here, his pockets are small compared to the telcos. He’s really just the face they allow to look like the franchise owner. Plus, he’s tying up some of his own capital, which is no skin off Bogers back.
    5 star observation here. Bravo. Been waiting to make it, wanted to do something funny, you beat me to it. I absolutely bet Bogers sells sooner than later.

My point is subdidiary to that, more that Larry T is taking advantage of the fact that Bell and Rogers have so many other things to worry about that they have “lost track” of little TFC, and Larry is exploiting the vacuum to get these big signings done.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS free agents for the end of the season have been released: https://mlsplayers.org/news/2023-fre...t-list-release

On TFC's side of things, Bono and Oso are both out of contract. We have options on Mavinga and Auro. I think this means we have Bradley for another season then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 star observation here. Bravo. Been waiting to make it, wanted to do something funny, you beat me to it. I absolutely bet Bogers sells sooner than later.

My point is subdidiary to that, more that Larry T is taking advantage of the fact that Bell and Rogers have so many other things to worry about that they have “lost track” of little TFC, and Larry is exploiting the vacuum to get these big signings done.
    On paper this makes sense, but bloating the payroll to an insane degree with no path to profitability isn't the move of someone looking to sell - Nobody would want to buy Toronto FC right now without some other angle on how to make money. Like you, after Insigne signed I just gave up trying to understand the logic behind any of it so who knows, but on paper, yes, the Apple TV deal should be one that our owners are not in love with and one that may call into question their ability to get full value from the team but their recent actions don't smell like owners looking to sell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    ... He has nine goals in 18 games on a terrible team that provides no service. Yeah, total flop... Balotelli’s not coming... He’s a clown show... a guy who had 13 goals last year in Turkey until a final game against a weak opponent gifted him five more... He also scored single-digit goals in Serie B the year before that, so… no, not going to happen...
    About Mario, fair but maybe a little harsh?
    Some sources more or less do equate MLS with the Super Lig.
    With the ask of setting aside his 'past', and I know it is a very big ask...
    As well as, without that year end performance,
    His scoring pace was still almost one goal every other game; so JJesque?
    At Monza in SerieB, I think he was more of an assistance than any hindrance in their promotion to SerieA.
    IIRC, he came in mid-season and also subsequently may have experienced an injury.
    Accordingly, I think his appearance v goal pace there was respectable also.
    In a salary/production ratio lens or value wise, without question it is JJ.
    But one may argue he is more of a 'utility' player in any added value marketing sense.
    I do not believe JJ comes close to the immediate cachet of Mario; moving any dial further towards even more filled seats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    yes he is a headcase and he is not coming here,did you watch the 2012 euro and 25 goals in 40 games for milan he can score and would score a boatload here,but he is no JJ who scored 7 in first 9 game and 1 since
    It's always a good sign when arguing the merit of a potential signing that all the good numbers for them happened more than a decade ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    MLS free agents for the end of the season have been released: https://mlsplayers.org/news/2023-fre...t-list-release

On TFC's side of things, Bono and Oso are both out of contract. We have options on Mavinga and Auro. I think this means we have Bradley for another season then.
    Thanks noxx98 for bringing this to my/our attention.
    Will digest.
    Focused fodder to help ponder further TFC roster moves.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    On paper this makes sense, but bloating the payroll to an insane degree with no path to profitability isn't the move of someone looking to sell - Nobody would want to buy Toronto FC right now without some other angle on how to make money. Like you, after Insigne signed I just gave up trying to understand the logic behind any of it so who knows, but on paper, yes, the Apple TV deal should be one that our owners are not in love with and one that may call into question their ability to get full value from the team but their recent actions don't smell like owners looking to sell
    I gave up trying to understand the spending in pro sports a long time ago. LOL. It is mind boggling the millions and millions circulating around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always a good sign when arguing the merit of a potential signing that all the good numbers for them happened more than a decade ago.
    18 in 31 last year ...40 goals in france from 2016 to 2019

irs a mute point he is not coming,hope we get d help soon
    Last edited by reggie; 07-20-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Looking just at defenders that are out of contract, here's the list that could be reasonable targets for TFC:
    Franco Escobar - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt
    Daniel Steres - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt
    Ema Twumasi - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt
    Andreu Fontàs - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt
    João Moutinho - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt
    Aaron Long - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt
    Alexander Callens - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt
    Sebastien Ibeagha - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt
    Ryan Hollingshead - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt
    Franco Escobar - Player profile 2022 | Transfermarkt

Aaron Long is obviously the gold standard there, but there are some other reasonable targets to fortify defence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    18 in 31 last year is not a decade
    Like I said earlier, his career is 80% meh. How were his 3 years prior to last season in Turkey?

This is the prototypical big gamble player. Could be okay, could be shit, or could sabaotage your whole dressing room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    No, apologies if unclear - I was trying to say that I think Bell/Rogers will sell MLSE soon. Also that nobody ex Larry cares about TFC within MLSE.

Its a complex argument -may take it on after the transfer window dies down