Page 99 of 193 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Singh joined one of the MLS Twitter Spaces chat and said he doesn't expect TFC to sign a starting level CB this window. I joined it late, so I'm not sure if this is based on his personal view or some knowledge of the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Richard Peddie on giving TFC to Tom Anselmi: "a nice little job to learn stuff by."
    Unfortunately, he was not a quick study. Or even a slow study. His only achievement might have been to become the main character of Ensco’s novel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Michael Singh joined one of the MLS Twitter Spaces chat and said he doesn't expect TFC to sign a starting level CB this window. I joined it late, so I'm not sure if this is based on his personal view or some knowledge of the situation.
    That wouldn’t surprise me. Bradley is not the quickest moving GM and no doubt he’s been working on other signings. Not expecting a quick Salcedo replacement.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 07-12-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we don't sign a third DP this window then trading our best player for a bag of balls was an absolutely insane thing to do, system or no system. You couldn't get more value from him than a tiny amount of MLS money? I have to assume, CB or not, we have somebody lined up for that slot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I honestly think the main thing that changed is just simply losing a GM who was competent and not replacing them with anyone with any level of competency to make good decisions in this league

To Enscos point, there's a couple of things that I think point to the Bradleys running the show now

1 The full backs. We re-up on Auro, then inexplicably, jettison both of our full backs with not a single warm body left to occupy the position. That speaks to a sudden change in planning, and one based not on strategy but on a belief (right or wrong) that they had personality issues. That speaks to a change in management and, given timing meaning it'd be difficult for Bob to so quickly make such a drastic call, influence from Michael

2 Letting our star play end up with 6 months left on his contact. Should never happen, either reup or move on. Most likely outcome is previous management thought 'yeah he's our best player, ofc we'll keep him' and then suddenly Bob was in and we wanted rid. So we lose a huge asset for a bag of peanuts in the end

We'll never know, but both imply a moving of power to at least one of the Bradleys
    I do love how everyone just believes that there are no members of the technical staff that had any input or say into the behaviour of Auro and Lawrence? The only person that BB could possibly have spoken to is MB?

It seems highly unlikely that there was no one on staff who had compiled any training reports, or player reviews.

So we carry on acting like everything BB did re players when he arrived was solely based on the word and opinion of MB. I hesitate to believe that. There have to be other people who had opinions and reports. While MB can provide some insight, it would be not smart to only rely on a single perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we don't sign a third DP this window then trading our best player for a bag of balls was an absolutely insane thing to do, system or no system. You couldn't get more value from him than a tiny amount of MLS money? I have to assume, CB or not, we have somebody lined up for that slot
    Until CS went to Mexico we didn't have a DP slot open. Selling Poz was necessary to make room for FB. CS moving has opened up a DP spot, that opportunity would not have arisen until negotiations with Miami were likely almost done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    I do love how everyone just believes that there are no members of the technical staff that had any input or say into the behaviour of Auro and Lawrence? The only person that BB could possibly have spoken to is MB?

It seems highly unlikely that there was no one on staff who had compiled any training reports, or player reviews.

So we carry on acting like everything BB did re players when he arrived was solely based on the word and opinion of MB. I hesitate to believe that. There have to be other people who had opinions and reports. While MB can provide some insight, it would be not smart to only rely on a single perspective.
    It'd be difficult to explain why we'd take an option on Auro just to jettison him (with literally no replacement at all) while still keeping his cap hit unless something very big changed. So that makes it more likely the decision was something that changed dramatically when Bob Bradley came in and Michael is someone he'd likely listen too - perhaps more likely than technical staff he may not have a relationship with. It was a very big call, after all, as strategically it made no sense whatsoever. It's all speculation, of course, none of us truly know anything on this board but if we didn't have baseless speculation nobody would be posting anything here and where's the fun in that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until CS went to Mexico we didn't have a DP slot open. Selling Poz was necessary to make room for FB. CS moving has opened up a DP spot, that opportunity would not have arisen until negotiations with Miami were likely almost done.
    If we on this board knew he was moving before the Poz deal was struck, and he was basically tweeting about it, I find it *staggeringly* hard to believe TFC was blind sided by it suddenly happening post Poz move.

It's *absurdly* unlikely we dealt Pozuelo under the assumption he was staying, especially given his instagram post which makes it sound like this was a known thing that the club supported him on for ages. Like less than 1% chance level unlikely

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only thing I want to say is that there's one thing here that is broken, 100%, that BB is qualified to fix.

Academy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine the team knew for a couple of months that we'd be moving Poz at the beginning of the window. I'm guessing we thought Salcedo would be around the entire season, but his need to go back to Mexico has been a bit of a blessing and a curse. We were probably hoping he could stabilize the backline for the season, but it now means we can invest in a higher impact DP elsewhere on the field.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we on this board knew he was moving before the Poz deal was struck, and he was basically tweeting about it, I find it *staggeringly* hard to believe TFC was blind sided by it suddenly happening post Poz move.

It's *absurdly* unlikely we dealt Pozuelo under the assumption he was staying, especially given his instagram post which makes it sound like this was a known thing that the club supported him on for ages. Like less than 1% chance level unlikely
    They knew it obviously but Pozuelo didn't fit the system and would be gone either way in 14 matches and that wasn't news to any other GM around the league. That limits what you can get from them and getting anything is better than nothing. Since phase 2 of the Bob system is starting this month it makes more sense to start building some familiarity with the system & continuity towards next season with players who would be here next season. The shoe Manning mentioned to drop was MAK and that was key in the Poz move. Bob himself said we would be seeing 4-3-3 from here onwards and he obviously sees us with a MB-Oso-MAK midfield (for now) and benching Poz wouldn't be fair to Poz.

As for us not getting another DP, we'll see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine the team knew for a couple of months that we'd be moving Poz at the beginning of the window. I'm guessing we thought Salcedo would be around the entire season, but his need to go back to Mexico has been a bit of a blessing and a curse. We were probably hoping he could stabilize the backline for the season, but it now means we can invest in a higher impact DP elsewhere on the field.
    Who's looking forward to season ticket prices doubling or tripling in order to pay for these high salaries?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Who's looking forward to season ticket prices doubling or tripling in order to pay for these high salaries?
    That should be Apple & IMG's job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to comment on the main point but I find it interesting and unusual that BB has followed TFC very closely for some years now. I’m sure he had very well formed ideas about the club and roster before taking the gig(s). Had the hire been someone from Europe who had only ever watched 5 MLS matches on TV it would have been a much different first 6 months, no doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Move Bradley to CB and bring in Wijnaldum? He’s been left out of PSGs preseason. 31 so a good age to come to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Move Bradley to CB and bring in Wijnaldum? He’s been left out of PSGs preseason. 31 so a good age to come to MLS.
    He will probably end up back in Liverpool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely agree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    only thing I want to say is that there's one thing here that is broken, 100%, that BB is qualified to fix.

Academy.
    I'm curious. Why do you say this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This isn't completely a TFC thing but a MLS thing. That's the problem with the timing of our season and our windows. Getting a player straight from their leagues and run straight into July or even February means they get no rest and are usually carrying knocks. In our case we spend large on DPs comparitively to some other ones and have seen how it goes when you sign one that breaks easy & often so I think our management is gunshy to toss guys in right away, especially so when they are top 5 MLS salary type players.
    Is it really though? It is clearly very possible to sign and confirm guys from December through to January in this league. Summer signings may get more complicated in terms of when a guy actually hits the pitch, however diligent teams all over the world routinely secure players prior to July. Normally, if you know what you need and what you can spend signing players in time for July 7 should be very possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, we’re fucked.

Journos who read this board I’ll write you a question for your next opportunity: “The club has allowed the 3rd most goals in MLS this year and has only registered 2 MLS clean sheets in the last two seasons. With Carlos Salcedo leaving, the backline situation appears to have been weakened; are there any plans to add another starting quality defender this window, and if not why?”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    I'm curious. Why do you say this?
    So far, we've had a TON of players come and go from academy. The three that have really made that name for themselves is Osorio, MAK, and Millar. Now, I don't care about the hit rate so far, youth players are lottery tickets as far as I'm concerned.

But the players that are supposed to be ready for us are VERY far behind. Players that people were high on, and not in a small quantity either. Almost every player has either had conditioning issues or just straight up can't read the game at MLS level. There's like, two exceptions and even THEN you can make the argument.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is absurdly unlikely that we only started making a deal to move a DP we were not negotiating with 2 weeks prior to the window opening. Those negotiations were ongoing long before the CS news became public. Given that the family situation was a new development it seems very likely that Poz was under negotiations well before CS had his family situation develop. Also given that FB was known to be coming room had to be made. It was not likely that CS would have a family situation develop at a convenient time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    are there any plans to add another starting quality defender this window, and if not why?”
    They will answer:
    "No, because it is expected we will get scored on twice every match, but it is also expected we will score three times every match."

Joke or not...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is absurdly unlikely that we only started making a deal to move a DP we were not negotiating with 2 weeks prior to the window opening. Those negotiations were ongoing long before the CS news became public. Given that the family situation was a new development it seems very likely that Poz was under negotiations well before CS had his family situation develop. Also given that FB was known to be coming room had to be made. It was not likely that CS would have a family situation develop at a convenient time.
    His instagram post implies this has been a known issue for months, and he was backed by the team. So we can only guess, but again, my guess is the likelihood Pozuelos deal was done before this was known is very, very low.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DP moves take time

The moving parts involved in this stuff is not like transfer window close day in Europe.

That and do we really want them to make a quick DP move - we've been there & done that & the latest bad DP move is going to Greece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His instagram post implies this has been a known issue for months, and he was backed by the team. So we can only guess, but again, my guess is the likelihood Pozuelos deal was done before this was known is very, very low.
    Who's instagram post?

Implying that CS has had a family issue that requred him to go home months ago? Months ago would have been shortly after he signed his contract with us. If he had a family issue that required him to be home shortly after the season started, why did he come here? If he was willing to take less money to play in MX and had family reasons for staying he never would have left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The front office will be putting everything they can into signing Bernardeschi. Once that is finalized, I would imagine Bradley and Manning have a list of potential DPs ready to go. They would of had fall back options for Insigne and Bernardeschi. It would just be about what position Bradley really wants to solidify with LW and RW already taken care of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's instagram post?

Implying that CS has had a family issue that requred him to go home months ago? Months ago would have been shortly after he signed his contract with us. If he had a family issue that required him to be home shortly after the season started, why did he come here? If he was willing to take less money to play in MX and had family reasons for staying he never would have left.
    Take all that up with him, it's from the horses mouth - https://twitter.com/Total_TFC/status...ssion%2Fpage98

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Not to comment on the main point but I find it interesting and unusual that BB has followed TFC very closely for some years now. I’m sure he had very well formed ideas about the club and roster before taking the gig(s). Had the hire been someone from Europe who had only ever watched 5 MLS matches on TV it would have been a much different first 6 months, no doubt.

Anyone who has watched world football, let alone MLS knows that when a new coach comes in systems and preferred players change. Why is this a surprise?

Who's instagram post?

My late dad was all set to move into his just purchased condo when he had a stroke. Perfect plan upended. Those sort of things happen to players' families too because they are human. You're implying that completely unexpected things never happen? Life isn't like that.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take all that up with him, it's from the horses mouth - https://twitter.com/Total_TFC/status...ssion%2Fpage98
    Sorry to have missed that.

Still think it is likely that the full implications of that event, whatever it was, would not be fully known until well after the negotiations for Poz to Miami were at least underway.

While it was a difficult two months, it is not fully likely that he asked to move on day one. The Poz negotiations take time, these things do not happen overnight.