Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We signed Jozy as a DP but Berna doesn’t cut it for some reason. Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    I mean this was the only way to go for MLSE , after all the crummy Bill Manning coach and manager appointments, this club was on the fast track to becoming C List entertainment in this town, were fans going to show up at BMO to witness Coach Bradley’s “culture change” club full of promising youths? Absolutely not Millions had to be spent on Insigne or this team would be playing in front of 8 or 9 thousand regularly
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Either Belotti or Bernardeschi would be outstanding for us.

Either way, the Ali Curtis era of underwhelming DPs is officially over!

Let's go win some cups!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I was down there every week with another 20K people watching Mariner trot out Reggie Lambe, Logan Emory, and Ty Harden in 2012 after 5 years of pure debacle so I don't think we'd be seeing 8 or 9K ever no matter what was out there. Couldn't be worse than those years if they tried.
    U&P,

Much respect to all the TFC OG's that were there at the beginning.
    I pretty much timed out from spectator participation for a long while.
    From Toronto Blizzard 2.0 @ Lamport/Centennial Park days to the arrival of MB/JA/JD @ TFC.

Not so sure about that, hope not to burst that thought bubble, but...
    Seems and depending on the sources referenced, Average Y21 TFC Attendance ranged from 8 to 10.5K!
    Last or near last in the league?
    Also reference the paragraph read below Tim Drodge's capture at...
    https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/9/...pty-at-the-end
    Regardless of any realpolitik perfect storm factors... Covid19, poor performance, etc...,
    Attendance took an Amber Heard style dump on the bed of the pitch that scared the heebie-geebies out of TFC/MLS,
    Hence, an explanation for this sort of apparent DP/marketing strategy path.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-25-2022 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    As I said, prove to me he's worth it with something other then the teams he's played for.

His assist record is horrible too, btw.
    Some of the hard stats may be in your favour, but sometimes it is also the intangibles.
    I am good with a DP entry level-ish status; the contract length may give some pause. IMO solid U30 player; will contribute.
    In his case and for that position, its sort of addition by subtraction on a lot of on/off field football sense levels for TFC.
    And if he gets any of his original mojo back, well then, even better.
    Although this case may be on DP steroids, I seem to remember another recent 'reclamation project' that worked out ok for us.
    At least for the while he was here on that flank; RL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Poz has already said publicly he would work on a non DP contract.
    They could sign a new deal at any time. I assume that would negate his cap hit? Or move it to a half-season hit, so we could use the remainder for a half-season TAM payment to a new DP (assuming it would cover at least half the DP value).

Think there’s a way to work it somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Salcedo or Pozuelo would have to be moved, which I don't think is out of the question at all.

I still think there's a lot of value in trading Pozuelo right now. Could be a serious return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Have to asterisk this though as other teams knowing we have 4 DPs will significantly diminish any potential returns.
    Now that we're near the July window, we don't need a DP slot to sign Bernardeschi. They can do a
    six-month TAM deal knowing Poz has already said he'd be willing to discuss a non DP deal to stay. They then flip the two players' status next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Everyone always forgets this MLS wrinkle in the rules.
    Also, is there the posibility BSBill knows something we don't?
    Didn't MLS just sign a media deal with Apple for 2.5B/10YRS which equals 250M/YR?
    Doesn't this cash money cha-ching influx begin in Y23?
    Therefore for simplicity sake, 250M...
    Minus 10% MLS HO/Grease/Finders Fee equals 225M,
    Divided by 29Teams(Expn St. Louis City?) equals about 7.75M,
    Divided by 2 for easy balance between competing Ownership factions, their pockets vs cap spend/salary increase, equals about 3.9M each.
    Wouldn't this windfall theoretically be an easy Belotti/Bernardeschi or whomever money well offset?

For some time I have been flip-flopping like a fish on land over BSBill.
    Will he, not should he, be around until WC26.
    Lately, IDNK if he has been gaslighting everyone; even giving the vapours.
    Obviously, it has been rumored within the last six months that he has been in contact with Belotti and Bernardeschi camps for this window.
    Yet Michael Singh and maybe some others of the ilk have suggested, such a situation is unlikely or complicated by the current cap and our DP's?
    So if at all factual, then why the bother? Why this exercise?
    I mean, wouldn't Bill Manning know about and understand such constraints?
    I suppose the cynic would suggest... to dangle hope, maintain interest, create buzz, etc...
    But the believer might say... there is a way; there is always a way.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-25-2022 at 05:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Brillant follow-up comment in the replies. Hirving ha! MF is that you or an/the imposter?

Bernardeschi Toronto sighting/s = Snuffleupagus!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-25-2022 at 06:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    TFC needs a 6 more than anything else… it doesn’t matter who else we sign if we continually get run over in the middle of the park this team will continue to be mediocre
    We need a number 6 and ideally a right-back as well.
    Would Gagliardini be a suitable #6?

https://sempreinter.com/2017/05/16/cies-gagliardini-10th-best-defensive-midfielder-europes-top-5-leagues/

https://sempreinter.com/2022/06/11/i...-media-report/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I don’t think I’ve ever seen Berna play in a league game ever. But I have very strong opinions on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This lolll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Honestly. Wout would kill it in MLS.
    you are likely right. It was the way you put it that was so funny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    U&P,

Much respect to all the TFC OG's that were there at the beginning.
    I pretty much timed out from spectator participation for a long while.
    From Toronto Blizzard 2.0 @ Lamport/Centennial Park days to the arrival of MB/JA/JD @ TFC.

Not so sure about that, hope not to burst that thought bubble, but...
    Seems and depending on the sources referenced, Average Y21 TFC Attendance ranged from 8 to 10.5K!
    Last or near last in the league?
    They included the early season matches in Florida on our average and even in T.O the attendance was capped for most of the remaining matches. I didn't even go to them. I waited until this year because of the whole Covid deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    you are likely right. It was the way you put it that was so funny.
    Lol. Need a little levity in these discussions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

technically we traded Defoe for Jozy and it turned out to be a brilliant signing. I don’t know anything about Berna but the players that do well here are like Jozy and Seba - exceptional talents who for one reason or another don’t quite cut it at the top level but totally dominate a slightly lesser level. What is it in his game that shows that potential? Seba showed it when on loan and Jozy in other leagues like Holland. There are lots of top level players who work as a part of a whole that won’t dominate a slightly lower league.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 06-25-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all got upset when Armas played players in the wrong positions… ex Auro as a midfielder last year. So my question again as no one seems to want to answer it. Why do you all think Bernadeschi is going to magically turn into prime Seba and rip this league apart when he’s never had that track record of being an offensive force?

If TFC wants some from Serie A and need a forward slash winger my suggestion is Alexi Sanchez. Inter wants to get rid of him so we could probably get him for free and he would have more of an impact IMO as he has pedigree of scoring goals unlike bernadeschi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honest question have you ever watched Bernadeschi play or is this comment based on he’s 28 and played for Juve and the Italian national team?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all got upset when Armas played players in the wrong positions… ex Auro as a midfielder last year. So my question again as no one seems to want to answer it. Why do you all think Bernadeschi is going to magically turn into prime Seba and rip this league apart when he’s never had that track record of being an offensive force?

If TFC wants some from Serie A and need a forward slash winger my suggestion is Alexi Sanchez. Inter wants to get rid of him so we could probably get him for free and he would have more of an impact IMO as he has pedigree of scoring goals unlike bernadeschi.
    We dont or at least i do not want Bernadeschi to be a Gio 2.0 (not realistic). Have Gio come back as a role player and then ambassador (now that would be fun).

I think we need a pacey winger / wing back that can control the ball, cross and defend. Whether it is Bernadeschi or Junior Hoilett. We have goal scorers now, Poz, Akinola, Jimenez, Insigne even Oso. I got interested because the dinner appeared real, he is 28, free transfer, chip on his shoulder and quite frankly this town wants to be in Serie A. A full stadium is fun.

Sanchez was born in 1988, I do not want TFC to be the club that signs 35 year olds and that would include signing Messi or Ronaldo. Chillieni IMHO is a very odd signing for LAFC. We may not be the top 5 leagues but surely with the money, we can be a top 10.

Sign players that are going to take us to the next level…. Bernadeschi at 28, depending on the contract terms might very well be good business.

Edit - Chiellini to NY/NJ made more sense but to LA feels like a lifestyle thing a la Gerrard and not saying bringing some players veteren leaders to select markets isn’t smart (e.g. I wouldn’t freak out if we brought Modric here, our Croatian community would go nuts.)
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 06-25-2022 at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    technically we traded Defoe for Jozy and it turned out to be a brilliant signing. I don’t know anything about Berna but the players that do well here are likely Jozy and Seba - exceptional talents who for one reason or another don’t quite cut it at the top level but totally dominate a slightly lesser level. What is it in his game that shows that potential? Seba showed it when on loan and Jozy in other leagues like Holland. There are lots of top level players who work as a part of a whole that won’t dominate a slightly lower league.
    This is a very good point. Look at Defoe. Is he a great footballer? Absolutely. Was he more valuable than Giovinco when both players were in their prime? I would argue so, the guy scored 15+ in the prem on several occasions.

And yet, Giovinco was hands down the better player for an MLS team. Why? Because the lower quality of his MLS teammates vs. Europe meant the ability to create your own chance was more important here than pure finishing ability. And, the lower quality of opposing defences meant Giovinco would be successful more 1v1 in MLS vs. Europe. So while the superior footballer stood on the half way line with his hands on his hips waiting for the final ball that never came, the “inferior” one lead the league in goals and had a boatload of assists too.

Which brings me back to bernardeschi. The reason most people here are opposed isn’t cause the guy cannot play. It’s because what he offers is less valuable to an MLS team on a limited budget than the equivalent team in Europe. A solid, 2-way player on the flank who doesn’t have a track record of contributing much on the score sheet is meaningless compared to the three primary things MLS teams pay for with DP slots: goals, assists, and midfield steel.

Edit: If we’re previously rumoured to be chasing guys like Belotti or Destro, why on earth would anyone want to jump at bernardeschi? Or even be scared that absent berna we’re going to end up with some no-name DP that a team like FCD would sign? Clearly, we have our sights set on something good.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-25-2022 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This is a very good point. Look at Defoe. Is he a great footballer? Absolutely. Was he more valuable than Giovinco when both players were in their prime? I would argue so, the guy scored 15+ in the prem on several occasions.

And yet, Giovinco was hands down the better player for an MLS team. Why? Because the lower quality of his MLS teammates vs. Europe meant the ability to create your own chance was more important here than pure finishing ability. And, the lower quality of opposing defences meant Giovinco would be successful more 1v1 in MLS vs. Europe. So while the superior footballer stood on the half way line with his hands on his hips waiting for the final ball that never came, the “inferior” one lead the league in goals and had a boatload of assists too.

Which brings me back to bernardeschi. The reason most people here are opposed isn’t cause the guy cannot play. It’s because what he offers is less valuable to an MLS team on a limited budget than the equivalent team in Europe. A solid, 2-way player on the flank who doesn’t have a track record of contributing much on the score sheet is meaningless compared to the three primary things MLS teams pay for with DP slots: goals, assists, and midfield steel.

Edit: If we’re previously rumoured to be chasing guys like Belotti or Destro, why on earth would anyone want to jump at bernardeschi? Or even be scared that absent berna we’re going to end up with some no-name DP that a team like FCD would sign? Clearly, we have our sights set on something good.
    im not saying to sign him,but bale is signing with LAFC on a TAM deal lol LA MLS RULES so maybe he signs a one year tam deal like bale
    sorry its not TAM its LAM
    Last edited by reggie; 06-25-2022 at 10:58 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect we are a stalking horse, much like with Borre. Was reading news out of Napoli that his $4Million Net is too high but close to terms.
    https://www.footitalia.com/napoli-cl...ardeschi-move/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Well, based on the LAFC Bale news, maybe Belotti is still in the works. Still doesn’t sort out our right side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I suspect we are a stalking horse, much like with Borre. Was reading news out of Napoli that his $4Million Net is too high but close to terms.
    https://www.footitalia.com/napoli-cl...ardeschi-move/
    Maybe, likely,
    The Partenopei were from the beginning always a realistic destination for Fede in the running.
    Perhaps Aurelio couldn't afford the optics of losing two IMNT players to the 'international minnow' that is TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    im not saying to sign him,but bale is signing with LAFC on a TAM deal lol LA MLS RULES so maybe he signs a one year tam deal like bale
    I suspect one of the football selection criteria for this scratch golfer may have been courses!
    Seems LA in the USA rates.

https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/stu...s-for-golfers/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. >30. Give me / get me Gagliardini then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honest question have you ever watched Bernadeschi play or is this comment based on he’s 28 and played for Juve and the Italian national team?
    I’ve watched him play back when it was Fiorentina and then first couple years Juve. I think he has potential to be a great DP and I think there are far worse players to give a DP spot to based on potential, talent, and brand awareness.

If I were to rate my enthusiasm I would put it at a 6.
    For Salcedo it’s a 2.

Idk why a DP spot on Berna is so objectionable, I understand not being crazy about it, but lord knows we have a DP we should be screaming to get rid of right now.
    Last edited by portu; 06-25-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the bale news,i wouldnt be shocked with a POZ to LAGL move in july

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the bale news,i wouldnt be shocked with a POZ to LAGL move in july
    They already have 3DPs - Costa, Cabral (Young DP), Chicharito

They will need the LA Galaxy magic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will need the LA Galaxy magic.
    i think costa is on loan and been injured and been average when i watched him this season,LA would have to make a move,but they need a play maker,saying that i dont want poz to leave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that I'm concerned about is if we get all Italians incoming - How will BB manage the team to prevent cliques from forming? He'll have the Italian contingent, the Spanish speakers, and the MLS journeymen. I worry that all the egos will result in a team that is less than the sum of its parts.

And the Gareth Bale news probably holds the key to how other big-aspiration MLS clubs (like TFC) will manage the salary cap. I wouldn't be surprised if the NY/LA/ATL/Miami teams use this mid-season transfer to great effect from here on forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So they still have 2 or 3 DP left then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol “LAM”. Best yet. Hilarious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    So they still have 2 or 3 DP left then.
    hah!