Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I feel like I’ve gone full circle on the importance of athleticism in development. As a 5’9, slight of frame guy, I always sort of rolled my eyes at Canada Soccer historically picking out players similar to how you’d pick out a race horse. But… I have seen first hand “can’t miss talent” basically evaporate once the athleticism gets taken up a level in a more demanding league. And ironically, I now feel Canada Soccer overvalues skill at the expense of many other attributes.

That’s not say you have to be built like a brick house to play soccer. I’d argue that’s not the case and certainly lots of countries (particularly Spain) have proved you can still be under 6 feet and play at the highest level.

We’ve got to work on the tactical / mental aspects of being a professional more than anything else. That’s where I feel most of these youth players are fall short.
    Yeah, for sure we’ve lacked tactical/mental awareness. It’s been a dreadful combination of not knowing football, broadly, on one hand and having inherited the English insistence on size and physicality on the other.

Even with a sport we know, hockey, there has been a propensity to choose size and strength over skill. Gretzky was told he wouldn’t amount to much and the average fan booed him for years. He was fundamentally repulsive - too much skill and incredible awareness in a spindly body.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 08-03-2022 at 04:21 PM.