Page 140 of 193 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 5785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    im still not sold on bb,he gutted the team and had no choice to play the kids,he had a vet team in LA, so i dont get he is good with the kids vibe yet
    LAFC wasn't his first management gig.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should give MacNaughton some credit too. To me he is our most reliable CB this season and without a ton of opportunity. In a perfect world he would make an excellent #3 CB and O'Neill a good #4.

We just need a legit #1 & #2.

Also after seeing a lot of Kosi lately, give Chung a run out or toss Petrasso on his off side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    LAFC wasn't his first management gig.
    vet team in chi...2nd div in france 6 mths in eng....sure the odd young player may come up and play well, its not like he is a ajax type developer of young players,bottom line the kids have gotten worse over the season,and his tactics have not worked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vet team in chi...2nd div in france 6 mths in eng....sure the odd young player may come up and play well, its not like he is a ajax type developer of young players,bottom line the kids have gotten worse over the season,and his tactics have not worked.
    There's a number of articles about Bob's work with the USMNT and Egypt on developing young players. Here's an interview from earlier this year that touches on his approach. The Interview: Bob Bradley - Fútbol with Grant Wahl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    There's a number of articles about Bob's work with the USMNT and Egypt on developing young players. Here's an interview from earlier this year that touches on his approach. The Interview: Bob Bradley - Fútbol with Grant Wahl
    maybe he is a better nat coach than pro coach alot of 1 year and 2 year and gone,maybe he should be the head of the academy,i jus dont like his tactics,but im willing to give him some time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There was a question on Saturday to BB about why Doniel now - in the answer, BB stated he was easy to do now because nothing else needed to be done to get it done. But DH needs work on a lot of things to get him where the team can rely on him.

I suspect another move will be made to be able to make then a CB move.

I don't think they believe Doniel is the solution.
    I didn’t get that feeling either when BB referred to him as depth in the press release. But isn’t that weird, “DH needs a lot of work”? He’s 29 and very experienced, will be third CB for Canada at the world cup. Is BB talking about fitness? I hope so because Henry is not a kid to be shaped at this point in his career.

And why the hell is BB relying on Nelson and Thompson? They fit his system in an abstract or potential way but on the pitch they’ve been poor and losing us games.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 07-27-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    I think our main concern should be a proper RB who has pace to join the rush, but also able to make the right tackle at the right moment. I think we should look for a TAM one in the $850k-1.1 million range
    In the Championship match yesterday it was apparent how effective Layrea would be for us there. What a loss that was. I agree we need to replace him with someone similar and that’s probably how much it would cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I didn’t get that feeling either when BB referred to him as depth in the press release. But isn’t that weird, “DH needs a lot of work”? He’s 29 and very experienced, will be third CB for Canada at the world cup. Is BB taking about fitness? I hope so because Henry is not a kid to be shaped at this point in his career.

And why the hell is BB relying on Nelson and Thompson? They fit his system in an abstract or potential way but on the pitch they’ve

been poor and losing us games.
    the kids havent been great,,but mavinga and the goalies have lost more games than the kids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im still not sold on bb,he gutted the team and had no choice to play the kids,he had a vet team in LA, so i dont get he is good with the kids vibe yet
    If he thinks our best two options right now are Jayden, who hasn't demonstrably improved in three years, or Kosi, a converted midfielder who cannot mark good wingers, I'm not sold on his judgement period.

Seriously, what sort of weird internal politics over player acquisition are going on if these
    two are starting?

Giving Ayo an u22 DP deal looks insane too frankly.

Its as if they believe They can take any superior athlete and teach him
    to also read the game at speed, make good decisions. That's my real fear here, that they're clinging to the continually disproven fallacy that the best natural athletes are rare and must be moulded via a coach's self-perceived genius.

He will always find the odd MLK who just required the right coach. But Jayden, between us and TFC 2, has had about 10
    and still tries too hard, forces everything and generally is in the wrong place whenever actual teamwork is required.

He's even more active than two years ago when Vanney was trying to figure out his best position. But he's no more effective. He just runs into space and gets as far forward as he can, with or without the ball and even when he's supposed to be maintaining shape. Then he stalls or makes a bad decision.

It's farcical. Bob is either trying to force Manning to accept that Curtis's great Euro hopes aren't good, or he's the most arrogant manager I've ever seen, because a blind man would know Nelson is not close to good enough for MLS. He's basically Super Achara -- now with lateral movement! Get yours today!

Good grief, this team is hard to love sometimes.

Kosi is out of his depth but on the balance still makes the right defensive play most of the time. He
    may well have a future as a right back, in two or three seasons.

Nelson does not. I'm sure he's had coaches try to get him to understand the game rather than trying to control it himself but it hasn't clicked with him yet.

A few choice examples:
    -- first and second half, he twice had Insigne ahead of him to continue building into the final third and instead looked off one of the top 100 players in the world to launch a cross field switch. Both were horribly short, inaccurate and intercepted.

-- twice in the first half, he beat two defenders on the run, found space at the top of the box and instead of getting a shot off or through ball, He cycled it back to midfield. Unbelievably stupid, even to a good high school player.

-- multiple times he stepped up to press into Insigne's zone,
    leaving the Italian, who recognized the danger, to have to move inside and cover the Centre left Zone.

He is a tire fire who destroys any offensive cohesiveness we build.

Either Bradley is being forced to play him to please or disprove Mannings perspective, or we have a terminally arrogant head coach who thinks he can fix any player, even when he's just not good enough.

Based on his athleticism and technique, i
    wonder if Jordan Hamilton were here if Bob would've bought Jimenez.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-27-2022 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should give MacNaughton some credit too. To me he is our most reliable CB this season and without a ton of opportunity. In a perfect world he would make an excellent #3 CB and O'Neill a good #4.
    If Joel Waterman can earn good reviews for Mtl this year, I think a similar path exists for MacNaughton.

Plus, CB’s can have longer careers. Hitting the league at 27 might not be limiting in the way it is for players in other positions. He could still be useful (or heck, better) in 5-7 years
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-27-2022 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the kids havent been great,,but mavinga and the goalies have lost more games than the kids
    Our defense faces
    twice the trouble it should every game precisely because the kids ruin any chance Of pressuring the other team In their own end. We spend twice as much time in defensive transition than good MLS teams. That's a formula for defenders being under seige, at speed , constantly.

we've also recruited defenders for their athleticism, not their
    composure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our CBs have been pretty good since Mavinga left the pitch in Chicago. That's not our most pressing area of need.

Kosi is a solid defender, but he can't pass the ball. We need a rightback and another midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milan Borjan signed an extension with Red Star through 2026. I know some people mentioned him as a potential GK replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Milan Borjan signed an extension with Red Star through 2026. I know some people mentioned him as a potential GK replacement.
    A more realistic target could and should be Sean Johnson if he reaches free agency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    There was a Twitter rumor at the beginning of the season that Kobe was offered a first team contract but didn't want to sign it because he didn't want to be locked into a multi-year MLS deal. He wanted to keep his options open to go to elsewhere once his TFC2 contract is up (I think at the end of this season).
    I remember reading that and I feel like it might be the case. He was in the first camp, but then wasn't at the second camp originally. Maybe he was told he wouldn't get a crack at being the starting RB (since it was to be JMR) and figured he might test out the waters after his deal expired. Someone mentioned 3 year contracts but TFCII had a few contracts expire after just one year, so means options were declined and were probably 1+1 deals (ie. Maples, McLaughlin, Engbers, Politz, Bernat). Nicolas Ovalle Raffo and Nyal Higgins also had their deals expire after TFC2 picked up their options for 2021 (after signing for 2020). Looks like 1+1 deals are the norm for TFCII.
    Last edited by rydermike; 07-27-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    composure.
    I don't think O'Neill fits this as he is pretty un-athletic.

As for your Nelson post above, I agree totally. I'm not sure why he is first choice so often so the only thing I can think of minus Manning interference is that BB sees him make things happen then balls it up right afterwards and it's fixable. I suppose BB might believe he can coach Nelsen into being able to think out there and make better decisions but I don't see that happening. He is the new Mo Babouli, only worse. His only real role on this team going forward is to be the new Mullins and run like a dog after the ball and press at FW when the game is out of hand in either direction.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Our defense faces
    twice the trouble it should every game precisely because the kids ruin any chance Of pressuring the other team In their own end. We spend twice as much time in defensive transition than good MLS teams. That's a formula for defenders being under seige, at speed , constantly.

composure.
    Spot on. Our defensive troubles occur because they never get a break. And the above reason is precisely why.

I also agree with your feedback on both Kosi and Jayden. They may be great athletes, but they have next to no footballing skill or IQ. They both play as if they are playing FIFA 22.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seriously? He gutted the team and went with the kids for a half season. No matter how many mistakes they made, he provided an environment where they wouldn't get punished for their mistakes. It was the best opportunity for them to learn. Alongside vets who were less worried about results and more focused on mentoring.

These kids needed more than what any first team manager should be providing. But Bob took on that task and gave them a learning environment on a first team.

I think Luca Petrasso is the only player who has gained anything from this experience. The rest haven't been able to progress much.
    They should still be in the academy or CanPL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Seriously? He gutted the team and went with the kids for a half season. No matter how many mistakes they made, he provided an environment where they wouldn't get punished for their mistakes. It was the best opportunity for them to learn. Alongside vets who were less worried about results and more focused on mentoring.

These kids needed more than what any first team manager should be providing. But Bob took on that task and gave them a learning environment on a first team.
    I will add that unlike under Vanney, when there were always questions from a percentage of the fan base, now nobody can say 'Nelsen has been held back by ________. He was never given a fair shot. His Euro chances were ruined in favor of an shitty American MLS journeyman'.

At least now we know almost all these prospects aren't going to make it at this level and it also shows our management as well as the even younger academy players still in the system that coasting through there guarantees you nothing so check your ego.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for Osorio to move on at the end of the season and have another experience...Thompson is not a defender at MLS level...its a rebuild year and Bradley still won a title which is better than nothing...now gotta keep building the 2023 team with quality needed at a bunch of positions...Vancouver has pretty good quality everywhere and a coach in place for a year and at the club for longer so now they are having success

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Luca Petrasso is the only player who has gained anything from this experience. The rest haven't been able to progress much.
    petrasso has been average at best,and idont pay 2 k a year to watch academy players learn from their mistakes not 5 of them on the field at once,another lost season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he thinks our best two options right now are Jayden, who hasn't demonstrably improved in three years, or Kosi, a converted midfielder who cannot mark good wingers, I'm not sold on his judgement period.

I'm not sold on those 2 being anything other then stop gaps.

Cause...I'm struggling to see options at the RB & #4 DM in this squad right now.

There were always going to be holes - we have a few right now & those 2 are just glaringly obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Our CBs have been pretty good since Mavinga left the pitch in Chicago. That's not our most pressing area of need.

Kosi is a solid defender, but he can't pass the ball. We need a rightback and another midfielder.
    While I agree we need someone other than Kosi, our CBs also lost us the game--in the sense that about 80% of our possession was the two of them passing the ball back and forth with no idea how to advance, other than passing to MB or Criscito. I think that's why were unable to get much pressure on the Vancouver goal. Vancouver was happy to let them have the ball under mild pressure because they created nothing and occasionally lost the ball.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    While I agree we need someone other than Kosi, our CBs also lost us the game--in the sense that about 80% of our possession was the two of them passing the ball back and forth with no idea how to advance, other than passing to MB or Criscito. I think that's why were unable to get much pressure on the Vancouver goal. Vancouver was happy to let them have the ball under mild pressure because they created nothing and occasionally lost the ball.
    The outlets that were presented as the middle option were so fucking bad (Kosi/Nelson) that Insigne/Berna opted to pass back to the CBs or MB/Criscito.

Nelson ideally never touches the field again - he's proven that he cannot read the game and is not interested in learning. Kosi, I'm only OK with, but ideally not him either except as a sub.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Nelson ideally never touches the field again - he's proven that he cannot read the game and is not interested in learning. Kosi, I'm only OK with, but ideally not him either except as a sub.
    I think right now both are best suited to being late game options at forward to press the other team when the score is out of reach in either direction.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think right now both are best suited to being late game options at forward to press the other team when the score is out of reach in either direction.
    I have sliiiightly more hope for Kosi, but I NEVER want to see the attacking 'crop' currently up ever again if it's not a laugher. If we can trade them/loan them to get playing time elsewhere, fine, but they should not see meaningful minutes here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kosi I would like to see more of as long as he can actually play his position. He's not a RB. That is clear. Last year for TFCII, he was a RW/AM. I can't say that he doesn't belong at MLS level because he hasn't been playing his proper position.

Although if he is going to play RB, he should invest in some properly sized shin pads. He wears a pad that look a solid 2 inches tall and the size of a Under-5 player. Maybe with proper protection he could get into more defensive tackles without fear of breaking a shin from a foot or a ball because there would be a pad. I don't get how this is allowed as acceptable equipment.
    Last edited by rydermike; 07-27-2022 at 02:48 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree. I don't think the kids will learn much more than bad habits and broken confidence in the middle of a tire fire. Some of them aren't even playing in their best position. And they just keep playing them game after game even if they screw up. Makes more sense to mix in about two young guys at a time. And give them some time on the bench if they screw up and then try them again. Don't nail them to the bench forever because of a couple mistakes like in the past: give them opportunity to learn and improve, but also some consequences if they screw up.

And why the hell can't they motivate someone like Akinola to sprint and press if he comes on late and should have more gas in the tank than everyone else? Is the fitness team still THAT bad, or is it a motivation problem? He seemed much more motivated in the past (before his injury). I don't actually want to focus on Ayo too much: we've seen it from other young players that come on and look like they think it's more important to look cool and calm rather than work their asses off and prove themselves. It drives me nuts when vets seem to be working harder than the kids. (Thinking also of guys like Criscito and Bernie, playing for the first time on crappy turf in a hot sticky stadium, late at night due to time change and after a long flight, but just giving it all -- to the point where you worry they're going to injure themselves. Also Oso often trying harder than some young guys.) BTW this issue with the kids goes back before BB's time.

I'm concerned that BB may be too thick-headed in certain situations -- but I'm willing to wait and see how things work out for a longer time. Especially if and when more players come in to fill gaps. Also waiting to see if they find a graceful way for MB to find a reduced role, or if there's more thick-headedness shown there in the future.

But I'm absolutely certain that TFC's scouting sucks. We've had some decent finds recently: Jiminez, O'Neill, MacNaughton and a few others that can play a decent role on an MLS team. But I still think it's completely nuts that Manning boasted about scrolling through Transfermarkt looking for out-of-contract Italians. Of course lots of top teams use Transfermarkt, but is it the team president doing that, especially at the initial phase of searching for prospects? Ogthedim can tell us more about organizational theory, but it seems completely bananas. A team president doing that is either not doing a very good job as a president, or as a scout, or both. Unless the president happens to have a very strong background in international scouting and kind of does that as a hobby -- but that's not the case for Manning.

There are people you can hire for a few $100k, that aren't under the salary cap, that don't need to search through Transfermarkt for out-of-contract players in the big leagues -- because they already know Transfermarkt and those players by heart. And that also know the players that will be out of contract in 6 or 12 months, that can be had for minimal to no transfer fees, because both the player and team are ready to move forward to clear space for the next player -- and because the player wants more playing time, change of scenery, etc.

TFC seems to do very lousy job of finding value, instead throw money at things, and trust so much in certain agents. Sure I'm happy and surprised that Insigne is here. Maybe he's always a good deal and very marketable. But overall they could find better value and performance for the current budget. And yes we do end up paying for it somehow, e.g. by running out of cap space. But even if they're DPs not under the cap, we pay for it in ticket & concession prices; in telecom & content prices and lousy services; in returns on our pension plans or stocks & mutual funds (since Rogers and Bell are some of the biggest holdings in many of those).
    Last edited by Auzzy; 07-27-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the kids will learn much more than bad habits and broken confidence in the middle of a tire fire. Some of them aren't even playing in their best position. And they just keep playing them game after game even if they screw up. Makes more sense to mix in about two young guys at a time. And give them some time on the bench if they screw up and then try them again. Don't nail them to the bench forever because of a couple mistakes like in the past: give them opportunity to learn and improve, but also some consequences if they screw up.
    Nelson and Kosi seem to be the regulars out there. For sure Kosi is out of position and he has difficulties with it. He did look a bit better last weekend but still he needs time. Nelson is different. He has been in with more established players, he has seen the bench, he has had opportunity and still he is the same. With him, I think BB needs to give it up at some point. There's no hope there. Soon it will be unfair to the other starters because I can only imagine what they think when he dribbles past two defenders and the turns away from goal, stands there, lays a soft pass backwards to be picked off, and then lightly jogs behind the counter he created.

And why the hell can't they motivate someone like Akinola to sprint and press if he comes on late and should have more gas in the tank than everyone else? Is the fitness team still THAT bad, or is it a motivation problem? He seemed much more motivated in the past
    Not sure if that's post injury or post larger contract. Either way, that's on him. He clearly isn't fit enough to much of anything on the pitch except sweat. He is the new guy to get hurt and then do no training while rehabbing. You could blame TFC for that but at the core of it, it's up to the player to do what's needed. They're professionals. Hopefully he can be a part of a deal this window for something, even an expiring contract or GAM.

Sure I'm happy and surprised that Insigne is here. Maybe he's always a good deal and very marketable. But overall they could find better value and performance for the current budget.
    Guy has been available for 2 matches and his value is already being questioned.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 07-27-2022 at 04:01 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armchair GMs gonna armchair GM - that is the way of the world.

MLSE is in a unique position and thus, so are Bradley and Manning. This is not a situation where the normal rules apply.