Page 170 of 193 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172173174180 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,100 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the DP decision will depend a lot on our non-DPs. If we're able to re-sign Osorio on max TAM that limits the need for an immediate DP in midfield. If Jesus/Ayo start scoring, maybe a DP striker is less urgent. If we can snag Long or Callens to lead the backline, a DP centre back isn't necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just gonna throw his name out here if we go DP striker. Raul Jimenez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Think the issue with this one is: the “brand” value of a Mexican player in Toronto is negligible but in a handful of US Markets it’s considerably higher given the considerable ex-pat population.

Isn’t it time we brought in a Portuguese DP? I know that’s lazy but looking at Manning’s M.O. with the last signing. It’s probably the next biggest fan base in the city we could bring under the TFC tent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Hard pass for me. I’ve never been impressed by him. Especially over the last while. We can do much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/tombogert

Club Brugge had talks for Toronto FC's rising Canadian int'l Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, per source. Nothing will happen today on deadline day, but Brugge very keen on him.

Marshall-Rutty, 18, trained with Liverpool and Arsenal in the winter. Big talent. One to watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

every time someone says it's 'lazy' to sign a player that's both good for the market and for the team I kinda want to scream

no, it's not 'lazy' to use transfermarkt when everyone else does, it's also definitely not lazy to try to sign a player well above the average value of a team in the league. I'd rather have a good team built off transfermarkt than a mediocre one built through stealthy scouting

on another note please get basically an entirely new GK room

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    every time someone says it's 'lazy' to sign a player that's both good for the market and for the team I kinda want to scream

no, it's not 'lazy' to use transfermarkt when everyone else does, it's also definitely not lazy to try to sign a player well above the average value of a team in the league. I'd rather have a good team built off transfermarkt than a mediocre one built through stealthy scouting

on another note please get basically an entirely new GK room
    Not to play Devil’s advocate too much, but where have you seen evidence that “everybody does it”?

It’s just a player database with guesses for values. Highly educated guesses, but still guesses. MEdia cite it a lot which gives it credibility but I haven’t seen a single other manager or club president quoted as saying they use transfermarkt.

Most teams, including TFC, have scouting divisions, rosters of players they’re watching. They’re also contacted constantly by agents with players already under contract, who are looking to move or get a better deal, or just a new one.

So the likelihood that most teams would need to use Transfermarkt for anything other than a scout checking out a previous recommendation’s statistics seems less likely to me, intuitively speaking.

THe notion that teams are regularly doing what Bill M did and just searching “most expensive Italian out of contract” is probably pretty specious.

Transfermarkt (and whoscored, and others) have full seasons stats. That’s it’s only real benefit to most scouts; they have professional scouting networks that shoot film of players, chop together highlights of things scouts need to see like how they turn with their first touch, how they move into space, how they read the game, things you don’t see in a normal youtube package.

Those networks cost pro teams quite a lot of money and provide far more info than Transfermarkt would.
    Last edited by jloome; 09-01-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Not to play Devil’s advocate too much, but where have you seen evidence that “everybody does it”?

It’s just a player database with guesses for values. Highly educated guesses, but still guesses. MEdia cite it a lot which gives it credibility but I haven’t seen a single other manager or club president quoted as saying they use transfermarkt.

Most teams, including TFC, have scouting divisions, rosters of players they’re watching. They’re also contacted constantly by agents with players already under contract, who are looking to move or get a better deal, or just a new one.

So the likelihood that most teams would need to use Transfermarkt for anything other than a scout checking out a previous recommendation’s statistics seems less likely to me, intuitively speaking.

THe notion that teams are regularly doing what Bill M did and just searching “most expensive Italian out of contract” is probably pretty specious.

Transfermarkt (and whoscored, and others) have full seasons stats. That’s it’s only real benefit to most scouts; they have professional scouting networks that shoot film of players, chop together highlights of things scouts need to see like how they turn with their first touch, how they move into space, how they read the game, things you don’t see in a normal youtube package.

Those networks cost pro teams quite a lot of money and provide far more info than Transfermarkt would.
    If Manning had said that in the UK he would have been railroaded out of town faster than BB saying PK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    If Manning had said that in the UK he would have been railroaded out of town faster than BB saying PK.

lolol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does this make people so angry? He wanted to see a list of high profile players out of contract who wouldn't need a transfer fee to come here.

So...he...Checked a list of high profile players out of contract who wouldn't need a transfer fee to come here

I think our management has been incompetent and wasteful since Bez left, but if you can suggest a more efficent way to check a list of high profile players out of contract who wouldn't need a transfer fee to come here I'd love to hear it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Why does this make people so angry? He wanted to see a list of high profile players out of contract who wouldn't need a transfer fee to come here.

So...he...Checked a list of high profile players out of contract who wouldn't need a transfer fee to come here

I think our management has been incompetent and wasteful since Bez left, but if you can suggest a more efficent way to check a list of high profile players out of contract who wouldn't need a transfer fee to come here I'd love to hear it
    Straw man argument, JNDO, no anger in my post whatsoever.

It’s just in response to the ongoing claim that picking a player to sign by searching on Transfermarkt is somehow a normal way of doing business. I see no evidence that it is.

That’s all.

My only issue with Insigne so far is he looks about half the player we expected. They both seem immensely talented and will score 10-20 goals a year for a lark. But he’s not dominating games the way Seba did, not even close. Hany Mukhtar probably has substantially less vision and talent but he’s a more effective player in MLS.

Next year I’m hoping the recharge of not playing back to back seasons, moving and having a new league and style to work in all mean he’s up to the monstrous DP we expect.

Similarly, Bernadeschi is probably the most dangerous player over the ball in the league. But his passing is often sloppy, his pressing is so-so, and he keeps underestimating how many guys he can beat at once.

Plus, neither of them (probably with good reason) trust most of their teammates yet. All those cross field passes to each other are probably a little overdone. Occasionally putting one into the box might be preferable.

But… huge goal haul, so no complaints. Neither is as dominant as their skill set indicates they should be, but a lot of that might be virtual back-to-back seasons.

(also, there are lots of paid databases out there of player contracts and attachments that are updated more frequently and probably more accurately than Transfermarkt, which misses stuff regularly. They didn’t have Richie’s loan up until a week after it happened. Even FOOTBALL MANAGER — yes, the game! — offers pro clubs a pro form of its databases, as it’s one of the most widely scouted for internationally.)
    Last edited by jloome; 09-01-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made this post back in the off season thread. Using Transfermarkt to some degree is incredibly common.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-by-volunteers

One example is the former Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu, who cited Transfermarkt to justify the €72m transfer price of the Brazilian player Arthur Melo in June. Uefa used Transfermarkt data in a 2016 report and it is also used by scouting departments at clubs all over the world.

https://www.football.london/premier-...tball-21956019

Typical thing is, you know, you're going to UEFA Conference League qualification round one and playing against some club from a country you have never scouted in before. Then you typically go to Transfermarkt, have a look at the squad. See what? Who are the players playing the most minutes? Who? Who are the ones with the higher market boss, which could be worth taking a look at when it comes to opponent scouting? So I think the very first look. It's one that goes quite often on Transfermarkt

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I made this post back in the off season thread. Using Transfermarkt to some degree is incredibly common.

One example is the former Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu, who cited Transfermarkt to justify the €72m transfer price of the Brazilian player Arthur Melo in June. Uefa used Transfermarkt data in a 2016 report and it is also used by scouting departments at clubs all over the world.

Typical thing is, you know, you're going to UEFA Conference League qualification round one and playing against some club from a country you have never scouted in before. Then you typically go to Transfermarkt, have a look at the squad. See what? Who are the players playing the most minutes? Who? Who are the ones with the higher market boss, which could be worth taking a look at when it comes to opponent scouting? So I think the very first look. It's one that goes quite often on Transfermarkt

It is very common. Liga MX was using it this summer to evaluate their bids on players and it was even quoted when they were getting rejected (most recently by Cinci).

The difference is most GMs or managers don't announce it in the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    It is very common. Liga MX was using it this summer to evaluate their bids on players and it was even quoted when they were getting rejected (most recently by Cinci).

The difference is most GMs or managers don't announce it in the media.
    Two examples is not “very common.” Neither is an example of what Manning did, using it to “shop” for players.

One was using it to try and justify the price of purchase.

THe other was checking how many minutes players have played… not shopping.

I’ll leave it at that and agree to disagree. (Other than one small addition: the president of a club in a league the size of MLS should ALREADY KNOW that a top 100 player is coming up on renewal. It was in the news constantly for months that he and Napoli hadn’t agreed terms. He shouldn’t have had to look it up.)
    Last edited by jloome; 09-01-2022 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two examples is not “very common.”

And one of them wasn’t shopping for a player, it was justifying the price of purchase.
    Technically it was shopping for a player as they wanted to buy him and used Transfermarket to check the status of his contract and his supposed transfer value in order to make a bid. It's even worse than BB saying he used it to search for out of contract players. They actually based their bid and approach around it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically it was shopping for a player as they wanted to buy him and used Transfermarket to check the status of his contract and his supposed transfer value in order to make a bid. It's even worse than BB saying he used it to search for out of contract players. They actually based their bid and approach around it.
    They claimed they based it around it after getting public criticism, probably as a way of justifying a rash decision. But even so, even if we counted thatr one example, there are literally hundreds of deals every window and this is almost never something we see, so… not common.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think a President of a football club would ask their scouting department who was on their list that fit the criteria he wanted rather than search it out on the internet himself. If Ed Woodward had said that, the response would have been laughter combined with "I knew that's how he was doing it." Anyway, not that big a deal, we're not a big club. Just feels Mickey Mouse to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They claimed they based it around it after getting public criticism, probably as a way of justifying a rash decision. But even so, even if we counted thatr one example, there are literally hundreds of deals every window and this is almost never something we see, so… not common.
    This is the key point. We never see. Like I said they don't announce it but if a player is recommended by an agent or scout from some random league then the teams look at Transfermarket or the equivalent.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two examples is not “very common.” Neither is an example of what Manning did, using it to “shop” for players.

One was using it to try and justify the price of purchase.

THe other was checking how many minutes players have played… not shopping.

I’ll leave it at that and agree to disagree. (Other than one small addition: the president of a club in a league the size of MLS should ALREADY KNOW that a top 100 player is coming up on renewal. It was in the news constantly for months that he and Napoli hadn’t agreed terms. He shouldn’t have had to look it up.)
    As much as we would like Manning to be 100% on the TFC file, he mostly delegates it because MLSE wants him to devote his time to trying to keep the Argos solvent. He's not really spending his time that much on soccer unless things go south (like they did under Curtis/Armas). We need a full-time president but unfortunately Bell and Rogers don't see value in that, they are mostly focused on hockey, baseball, and pointy-ball.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would think a President of a football club would ask their scouting department who was on their list that fit the criteria he wanted rather than search it out on the internet himself. If Ed Woodward had said that, the response would have been laughter combined with "I knew that's how he was doing it." Anyway, not that big a deal, we're not a big club. Just feels Mickey Mouse to me.
    I'm pretty sure our scouting department isn't focused on top tier talent. I would bet their player knowledge is strong with leagues where they could get players who would come in on TAM and lower.
    So to say that our scouting department would know any better isn't necessarily true either.

To compare Woodward or anyone in that top tier of football - and I assume their scouting departments - to Bill Manning and TFC is ludacris.

This whole nose upturn conversation to what Manning did is beyond dumb. The guy landed two top players doing what he did. It worked. and yet people are still being salty bitches that he did it.

The more I engage with supporter conversations, the more I realize they are more interested in seeing clubs fail. It's some sort of sick obsession to shit on the club no matter how well they do or progress in order to watch a rebuild every 3 years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

selection bias at play - you have zero idea which proportion are and which aren't, but we've seen in articles that it's more common than you make it out to believe. U&P already said something about this, but it bears repeating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transfermarkt is quick and easy to use and gets used by a lot of clubs. One of the reasons is aforementioned, another is because it’s free and can give you the kind of overview you’d want before committing resources to due diligence. Also very popular with agents, especially the ones that facilitate deals on behalf of clubs, like Andrea did with Insigne.

For the reasons you mentioned, it’s not the best tool, but it is a tool that gets a lot of use beyond just the media.

Unfortunately, football is not as professionalized as it should be, which is why hearing about Transfermarkt actually getting used is a shock to many.

(Worth noting that we live in a society where senior management often has such a low tech competence that they have to ask juniors to convert word docs to PDF.)
    Last edited by portu; 09-01-2022 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    ...no, it's not 'lazy' to use transfermarkt when everyone else does...
    Not to play Devil’s advocate too much, but where have you seen evidence that “everybody does it”?...I haven’t seen a single other manager or club president quoted as saying they use transfermarkt... The notion that teams are regularly doing what Bill M did and just searching “most expensive Italian out of contract” is probably pretty specious...
    Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    lolol
    Why does this make people so angry?... So...he...Checked a list of high profile players out of contract who wouldn't need a transfer fee to come here...
    ...It’s just in response to the ongoing claim that picking a player to sign by searching on Transfermarkt is somehow a normal way of doing business. I see no evidence that it is...That’s all...
    It is very common. Liga MX was using it this summer to evaluate their bids on players and it was even quoted when they were getting rejected (most recently by Cinci)...The difference is most GMs or managers don't announce it in the media.
    Everyone may know what the secret sauce is... even use it regularly... just don't reveal it by confirming to everyone you are using it!
    It's bad form.

Regardless, on the Insigne matter... I call a foul.
    IMHO, Manning has hoodwinked many on it's development; origin story.
    I do not believe that in this specific situation, he instigated the 'targeting' of Insigne ( via transfermarkt )
    For me, it's a bad after the fact obfuscation attempt to enhance a benefiting narrative; his 'cover story'... that is pedestrian.
    Certainly, he may of double checked with the site when he learned not of Mimmo's interest but subsequently that of his very good friend's.
    To me, Insigne was just a gift from God, that landed in Manning's ( and our ) lap; a bit of buona fortuna.
    An opportunity that then was too good to pass on and refuse and needed to be acted upon and accommodated forthwith.
    IIRC, in an interview, ... I'm paraphrasing... Lolo mentions that he learned from a 'friend' ( Mimmo ), that was impressed with TFC, about 'their project'.
    We know, care of the The Goodson, that Criscito and Destro visited circa SEP21.
    Nothing was 'planned or orchestrated' by Manning in respect to Insigne.
    For me, Lolo is simply a wonderful lottery ticket by-product of Mimmo's interest and visit.
    IIRC, in another interview, Mimmo confirms... I'm paraphrasing... that they are besties, and TFC was for them an opportunity of wanting to play together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm pretty sure our scouting department isn't focused on top tier talent. I would bet their player knowledge is strong with leagues where they could get players who would come in on TAM and lower.
    So to say that our scouting department would know any better isn't necessarily true either.

To compare Woodward or anyone in that top tier of football - and I assume their scouting departments - to Bill Manning and TFC is ludacris.

This whole nose upturn conversation to what Manning did is beyond dumb. The guy landed two top players doing what he did. It worked. and yet people are still being salty bitches that he did it.

The more I engage with supporter conversations, the more I realize they are more interested in seeing clubs fail. It's some sort of sick obsession to shit on the club no matter how well they do or progress in order to watch a rebuild every 3 years.
    I agree with the first part of this. I mean honestly, talk to your scouts? What's a more efficient way to answer a question, search a database with the answer and find it in literally 5-10 seconds, or call someone who won't know the answer as that isn't their job, get them to check and call you back? What? My mind is blown that people care about this. There is no more efficent way on planet earth to answer the question of 'which big name players can I get without a transfer fee' than this

I disagree with the second part, though. I think the reason people get upset is a weird insecurity and inferiority complex around MLS. They worry it's perceived as mickey mouse, so they're sensitive to anything public that could be embarrassing and lead outsides to believe it's mickey mouse. I don't think the people here want the club to fail at all, but that 'what will fans of REAL leagues think if they read this' sentiment may explain why this one has stuck with people. The funny thing is, we have examples of others from 'real' leagues saying things similar, and I doubt their fans care in the least.

Bottom line, 1, it worked. You can't argue that. And 2. Nobody complaining can tell me a more efficient way to answer the question we had. If you're complaining, find me a more efficient process than one that takes 5 seconds - literally googling 'transfer market free agents'. The information is valid and correct enough to be a jumping off point to start a conversation, which is exactly what we used it to do to make maybe the biggest signing in league history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the first part of this. I mean honestly, talk to your scouts? What's a more efficient way to answer a question, search a database with the answer and find it in literally 5-10 seconds, or call someone who won't know the answer as that isn't their job, get them to check and call you back? What? My mind is blown that people care about this. There is no more efficent way on planet earth to answer the question of 'which big name players can I get without a transfer fee' than this

I disagree with the second part, though. I think the reason people get upset is a weird insecurity and inferiority complex around MLS. They worry it's perceived as mickey mouse, so they're sensitive to anything public that could be embarrassing and lead outsides to believe it's mickey mouse. I don't think the people here want the club to fail at all, but that 'what will fans of REAL leagues think if they read this' sentiment may explain why this one has stuck with people. The funny thing is, we have examples of others from 'real' leagues saying things similar, and I doubt their fans care in the least.

Bottom line, 1, it worked. You can't argue that. And 2. Nobody complaining can tell me a more efficient way to answer the question we had. If you're complaining, find me a more efficient process than one that takes 5 seconds - literally googling 'transfer market free agents'. The information is valid and correct enough to be a jumping off point to start a conversation, which is exactly what we used it to do to make maybe the biggest signing in league history
    The comment did get mocked by other MLS teams, and I agree. I would mock it too because it is Mickey Mouse. Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal, and agree at the end of the day the result is more important, but our president should be a bit smarter about how he messages.
    Last edited by Canary10; 09-01-2022 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The comment did get mocked by other MLS teams, and I agree. I would mock it too because it is Mickey Mouse. Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal, and agree at the end of the day the result is more important, but our president should be a bit smarter about how he messages.
    Maybe, I just don't care about being mocked. Random internet commenters mock everything. In their prime you could find random commenters saying Messi and Ronaldo were shit and laughing at them if they missed easy chances. Who cares?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm getting the sense at this point that MLS (Don Garber and Co) may have finally started to not care what the detractors have to say about the league, as long as they are able to continue to grow and show progress is what matters.

The haters haven't been on board up to this point, The league doesn't need them.

I think the Apple deal is a huge step in that direction. Just like EPL, if you want to watch MLS, you will go and find it on a service that is pretty world renowned. If you are SSH, they will give it to you free so you can immerse yourself more into other MLS markets (smart) The stadiums on a whole are pulling in decent numbers; more high profiled and skilled players are choosing to come here even if they were discovered on transfermarkt. More of our top talent is moving to Europe meaning the standard is being raised on the pitch. And we stopped that BS MLS All Stars vs Euro team garbage game and have now focused on building a partnership with the league next door

I think if the league is able to say "fuck the haters" then fans should as well. We got the deal done. I don't care if Bill did it over Tik Tok - we have 2 players who can actually legit compete for MLS MVP next season with the right core around them.

If any team would become the first to have Co-MVPs - it'll be TFC. And YA'LL CAN THANK TRANSFER-FUCKING-MARKT FOR IT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should sign Vangelis Pavlidis from AZ Alkmaar as a striker DP. Toronto has one of the world's largest Greek communities, he's a lethal striker, and he only cost them $2M a year ago. We might be able to get him for $6-8M plus Addons for future performance -- a sell on percentage -- as he's only 23. (Okay maybe more like $10-12M but he'd score 20-30 in MLS.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vangelis_Pavlidis

https://www.transfermarkt.us/vangeli...spieler/324503
    Last edited by jloome; 09-01-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly doubt TFC has a scouting department in the format most people are familiar with.

We probably got some MLS headquarter guys on payroll, and some agents in the rolodex to call when needed. MLS still relies on the coach and GM contacts to get players.

MLSE for all it's great spending power doesn't seem like the org that would devote funds to such a department, rather just keep in line with what other MLS club do.
    Last edited by Richard; 09-01-2022 at 03:23 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I highly doubt TFC has a scouting department in the format most people are familiar with.

We probably got some MLS headquarter guys on payroll, and some agents in the rolodex to call when needed. MLS still relies on the coach and GM contacts to get players.

MLSE for all it's great spending power doesn't seem like the org that would devote funds to such a department, rather just keep in line with what other MLS club do.
    In the past they did identify individuals in South America and in Canada who were "scouts," but it's unsure whether they were employees or consultants or what. Also whether that's still the case is unclear.

We know that the Italian players have been brought in through connections with one agent.

We also know that MLS FO has people who identify players for the league as a whole.

Mostly things are pretty murky.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto