Page 141 of 193 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,230 of 5785
  1. #4201
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    7,291
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I disagree. I don't think the kids will learn much more than bad habits and broken confidence in the middle of a tire fire. Some of them aren't even playing in their best position. And they just keep playing them game after game even if they screw up. Makes more sense to mix in about two young guys at a time. And give them some time on the bench if they screw up and then try them again. Don't nail them to the bench forever because of a couple mistakes like in the past: give them opportunity to learn and improve, but also some consequences if they screw up.

    And why the hell can't they motivate someone like Akinola to sprint and press if he comes on late and should have more gas in the tank than everyone else? Is the fitness team still THAT bad, or is it a motivation problem? He seemed much more motivated in the past (before his injury). I don't actually want to focus on Ayo too much: we've seen it from other young players that come on and look like they think it's more important to look cool and calm rather than work their asses off and prove themselves. It drives me nuts when vets seem to be working harder than the kids. (Thinking also of guys like Criscito and Bernie, playing for the first time on crappy turf in a hot sticky stadium, late at night due to time change and after a long flight, but just giving it all -- to the point where you worry they're going to injure themselves. Also Oso often trying harder than some young guys.) BTW this issue with the kids goes back before BB's time.
    .
    There's no tire fire here. I don't get this idea that the current situation is a disaster. The tire fire was last year. We cleared all that shit out and we are literally building from the ground up...well maybe from the top down, but we also did that the first time around with MB Jozy and Gio. People are still crying about Auro - meanwhile he was one of the fuckers pouring gas on the fire last year. We cleared it all out and whatever was left is what we moved forward with - if it doesn't work, they'll be gone too (see Priso + many others to follow) and they will be replaced too. Mavinga, Bono, some of these kids - all gonna be gone because they don't have that attitude or fight you speak of above.

    As for these kids - they are not good enough. They don't have the skill or IQ and it's clear as day when you watch them play - it's not the difficult things they are fucking up - it's the basics. At 19, 20 years old, the basics shouldn't be the thing you are fucking up. it's the more complicated things that you need to work on - that's not happening with these kids.

    Take last night for example - by the 20th minute all of the vets on the right hand side of the pitch gave up on Kosi. Aside from some basic recycling of the ball, they all tuned him out. and he stopped receiving the ball or been involved in any build up play. He can't do anything other than cycling the ball around.

    On the other end of the pitch, Nelsen had a bit more to do as his IQ is a tad stronger than Kosi's - but he was a dead end as well. These kids put themselves into stupid situations. They play as if they are in FIFA holding on to the ball for too long, making odd ball runs that don't make sense - these are basic things. Football isn't a complicated sport. They are over complicating it because they don't have the IQ to process it any other way. They get lost in their own heads.

    I mentioned Petrasso being the only one progressing from this group and the response was he was pedestrian at best (or something along those lines) Ya - he was, that's what he should be at this level. He's progressed a lot since the start of the season and has continued to do as. He's not great, but that'll take a couple years to perfect. But you can see there is more trust from the vets in him than the in others.The others are below pedestrian. They are still struggling with being basic.


    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm concerned that BB may be too thick-headed in certain situations -- but I'm willing to wait and see how things work out for a longer time. Especially if and when more players come in to fill gaps. Also waiting to see if they find a graceful way for MB to find a reduced role, or if there's more thick-headedness shown there in the future.
    .
    I've heard this before and I'm more in the mind frame of why alter your system if you know in 3 months time you'll be getting the pieces in that you need to deploy your system properly. Insigne and Berna don't slot in the way they did Saturday by us altering our vision in order to earn a few extra points here and there.


    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    But I'm absolutely certain that TFC's scouting sucks. We've had some decent finds recently: Jiminez, O'Neill, MacNaughton and a few others that can play a decent role on an MLS team. But I still think it's completely nuts that Manning boasted about scrolling through Transfermarkt looking for out-of-contract Italians. Of course lots of top teams use Transfermarkt, but is it the team president doing that, especially at the initial phase of searching for prospects? Ogthedim can tell us more about organizational theory, but it seems completely bananas. A team president doing that is either not doing a very good job as a president, or as a scout, or both. Unless the president happens to have a very strong background in international scouting and kind of does that as a hobby -- but that's not the case for Manning.

    There are people you can hire for a few $100k, that aren't under the salary cap, that don't need to search through Transfermarkt for out-of-contract players in the big leagues -- because they already know those players by heart. And that also know the players that will be out of contract in 6 or 12 months, that can be had for minimal to no transfer fees, because both the player and team are ready to move forward to clear space for the next player -- and because the player wants more playing time, change of scenery, etc.

    TFC seems to do very lousy job of finding value, instead throw money at things, and trust so much in certain agents. Sure I'm happy and surprised that Insigne is here. Maybe he's always a good deal and very marketable. But overall they could find better value and performance for the current budget. And yes we do end up paying for it somehow, e.g. by running out of cap space. But even if they're DPs not under the cap, we pay for it in ticket & concession prices; in telecom & content prices and lousy services; in returns on our pension plans or stocks & mutual funds (since Rogers and Bell are some of the biggest holdings in many of those).

    Honestly and I say this in the nicest way - When it comes to DPs - Fuck value. Get the best players you can afford. MLSE can fucking afford it. Hats off to Manning for scanning the transfer market, finding the best players he could and then going after them. The guy had a vision and went after it. He didn't wait around for Bob or whomever to settle and then begin their search. He didn't waste any time and just did it because he knew it fit in with the vision he had for the club. So what, he did a bit of grease work. it got done - with no transfer fee. and here we are - with people (not pointing directly at you Auzzy) but many others bitching about us landing two solid elite players. Either because they are..Italian or they were found on the transfermarkt website or because of some agent shenanigans - who gives a fuck - we got them.

    If you want value you do that with TAM and lower. They did that with Jesus and McNotty. They'll do even more value finds in this off season scouring MLS and other lower markets.

  2. #4202
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i went to church last night and couldnt feel the presence of Jesus again

  3. #4203
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    With Nelson, I also see no consequences. Maybe if he knew he has to earn is spot each week, he would wise up. Yes, or maybe not, I'm not sure. I think BB should rotate in some young players from time to time. Of course it's a bit better now, with more reinforcements, so we're not quite as dependent on the young players.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Guy has been available for 2 matches and his value is already being questioned.
    FFS did you read my whole post? "Overall" means their whole scouting approach, which actually can hardly even be called scouting. I specifically mentioned that Insigne might be a great deal, and "very marketable" is an important part of value. Why do you read other things into my post?

    Also knowing their weak-ass approach of the president scrolling through Transfermarkt in between the normal duties of a president who is in charge of two pro teams, why don't you think there might be a more impactful player available somewhere in the world, compared to any specific player they have signed?

  4. #4204
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The most frustrating part of Nelson to me is that he is obviously incredibly talented. There is an impact player there, but the question becomes if he will ever be able to process the game to harness his incredible physical gifts.

  5. #4205
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    With Nelson, I also see no consequences. Maybe if he knew he has to earn is spot each week, he would wise up. Yes, or maybe not, I'm not sure. I think BB should rotate in some young players from time to time. Of course it's a bit better now, with more reinforcements, so we're not quite as dependent on the young players.



    FFS did you read my whole post? "Overall" means their whole scouting approach, which actually can hardly even be called scouting. I specifically mentioned that Insigne might be a great deal, and "very marketable" is an important part of value. Why do you read other things into my post?

    Also knowing their weak-ass approach of the president scrolling through Transfermarkt in between the normal duties of a president who is in charge of two pro teams, why don't you think there might be a more impactful player available somewhere in the world, compared to any specific player they have signed?
    I realize we're all a little demoralized right now but Ill
    just point out for posterity that you, Ultra, janbronies and I are all agreeing on 90%
    of the issue, which is we're trying to mould players into first teamers who are miles off, if they can ever get there.

  6. #4206
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The most frustrating part of Nelson to me is that he is obviously incredibly talented. There is an impact player there, but the question becomes if he will ever be able to process the game to harness his incredible physical gifts.
    yes i agree with that,but last night he played a safe game and looked ok.he may need to move or it may click in a couple years

  7. #4207
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The most frustrating part of Nelson to me is that he is obviously incredibly talented. There is an impact player there, but the question becomes if he will ever be able to process the game to harness his incredible physical gifts.
    He has been moved inside, outside, left, right....
    His decisions are so poor (and some of his fundamentals, including his trapping) that I can only see him having a future as a forward. He can get behind defenses and learn more consistent finishing, and he has speed. But he cant play an outfield role that requires strong interplay and defending.

  8. #4208
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Honestly and I say this in the nicest way - When it comes to DPs - Fuck value. Get the best players you can afford. MLSE can fucking afford it. Hats off to Manning for scanning the transfer market, finding the best players he could and then going after them. The guy had a vision and went after it. He didn't wait around for Bob or whomever to settle and then begin their search. He didn't waste any time and just did it because he knew it fit in with the vision he had for the club. So what, he did a bit of grease work. it got done - with no transfer fee. and here we are - with people (not pointing directly at you Auzzy) but many others bitching about us landing two solid elite players. Either because they are..Italian or they were found on the transfermarkt website or because of some agent shenanigans - who gives a fuck - we got them.

    If you want value you do that with TAM and lower. They did that with Jesus and McNotty. They'll do even more value finds in this off season scouring MLS and other lower markets.
    I agree with this and really, people on here were shitting on the Salcedo lower priced DP deal before he even flew to Canada. He could have been Zimmerman 2.0 or better and the stigma of being a waste of a DP spot would always be mentioned on here because he would never equal value to his DP spot, not the money involved but who they could have gotten instead. Like you said, it's MLSE money to spend and they got a lot of it plus they know things we don't based on advertising, MLS deals, side deals, so I am sure they're not blindly tossing cash down the drain. Plus playoffs equals more money and winning things like this upcoming League's Cup will draw eyes and they are well aware of this. The true value comes from team success and that can't be judged until the team is more completely assembled. In retrospect Jozy would appear a massive bust and a total valueless player (compared to his cost) but he contributed to our trophies and our best years so he is a legend. That's how value should be judged.

  9. #4209
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He has been moved inside, outside, left, right....
    His decisions are so poor (and some of his fundamentals, including his trapping) that I can only see him having a future as a forward. He can get behind defenses and learn more consistent finishing, and he has speed. But he cant play an outfield role that requires strong interplay and defending.
    He is the very definition of a boom or bust prospect to me. I do agree he is definitely a forward though. He has zero workrate tracking back and his decision making and touch will never be good enough to play in the center of the park outside of an emergency situation like last night.

  10. #4210
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    There's no tire fire here. I don't get this idea that the current situation is a disaster. The tire fire was last year. We cleared all that shit out and we are literally building from the ground up...well maybe from the top down, but we also did that the first time around with MB Jozy and Gio. People are still crying about Auro - meanwhile he was one of the fuckers pouring gas on the fire last year. We cleared it all out and whatever was left is what we moved forward with - if it doesn't work, they'll be gone too (see Priso + many others to follow) and they will be replaced too. Mavinga, Bono, some of these kids - all gonna be gone because they don't have that attitude or fight you speak of above.

    As for these kids - they are not good enough. They don't have the skill or IQ and it's clear as day when you watch them play - it's not the difficult things they are fucking up - it's the basics. At 19, 20 years old, the basics shouldn't be the thing you are fucking up. it's the more complicated things that you need to work on - that's not happening with these kids.

    Take last night for example - by the 20th minute all of the vets on the right hand side of the pitch gave up on Kosi. Aside from some basic recycling of the ball, they all tuned him out. and he stopped receiving the ball or been involved in any build up play. He can't do anything other than cycling the ball around.

    On the other end of the pitch, Nelsen had a bit more to do as his IQ is a tad stronger than Kosi's - but he was a dead end as well. These kids put themselves into stupid situations. They play as if they are in FIFA holding on to the ball for too long, making odd ball runs that don't make sense - these are basic things. Football isn't a complicated sport. They are over complicating it because they don't have the IQ to process it any other way. They get lost in their own heads.

    I mentioned Petrasso being the only one progressing from this group and the response was he was pedestrian at best (or something along those lines) Ya - he was, that's what he should be at this level. He's progressed a lot since the start of the season and has continued to do as. He's not great, but that'll take a couple years to perfect. But you can see there is more trust from the vets in him than the in others.The others are below pedestrian. They are still struggling with being basic.

    I've heard this before and I'm more in the mind frame of why alter your system if you know in 3 months time you'll be getting the pieces in that you need to deploy your system properly. Insigne and Berna don't slot in the way they did Saturday by us altering our vision in order to earn a few extra points here and there.

    Honestly and I say this in the nicest way - When it comes to DPs - Fuck value. Get the best players you can afford. MLSE can fucking afford it. Hats off to Manning for scanning the transfer market, finding the best players he could and then going after them. The guy had a vision and went after it. He didn't wait around for Bob or whomever to settle and then begin their search. He didn't waste any time and just did it because he knew it fit in with the vision he had for the club. So what, he did a bit of grease work. it got done - with no transfer fee. and here we are - with people (not pointing directly at you Auzzy) but many others bitching about us landing two solid elite players. Either because they are..Italian or they were found on the transfermarkt website or because of some agent shenanigans - who gives a fuck - we got them.

    If you want value you do that with TAM and lower. They did that with Jesus and McNotty. They'll do even more value finds in this off season scouring MLS and other lower markets.
    I'm not "crying" about Auro. Some of the vague rumours bug me, because there are two sides to every story. And if he had to go, I can't believe that in 6 months you can't find a better stopgap RB than playing Kosi out of position. We still don't know if they will find a RB, plus at most it will be one and no depth.

    There's been a tire fire all season up to now, including last night. As a result the kids didn't learn as much as they could, and likely got burned. I bet some of these kids will move on to do pretty well on other teams, as has happened in the past.

    And HOLY SHIT VALUE DOES NOT MEAN SPEND LESS! We have absolutely NO IDEA if they got the best DPs they could afford because their scouting is so weak. Why the hell can't they hire a full-time Transfermarkt scroller, that picks out the best finds from all around the world, and presents the short lists to Manning and the management team for final evaluation and selection? What if they had found a more solid, more elite player for the same bazillion dollars? Would that be a bad thing? That's not a knock on any specific player they actually signed. It's saying the process sucks, and we have no idea what we're missing out on as a result.

    EDIT and BTW "full-time Transfermarkt scroller" is kind of a joke. There are folks that know Transfermarkt like the back of their hand, AND know other stuff about players, performance, contract status etc. to do an even better job than only relying on a publicly-available database.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 07-27-2022 at 04:35 PM.

  11. #4211
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Also, been watching a lot of MLS games trying to find some guys we could target in the offseason and Keegan Rosenberry has caught my attention. He is Colorado's RB. He isn't gonna wow you on offense or with his pace, but he is a proven, steady and effective MLS defender. Can play CB in a pinch aswell. Very similar to Beita was back when we brought him in. We don't need a bomber with Bernie playing RW, we just need a smart, technical player who will do the dirty work and not cheaply turn the ball over 4 or 5 times a game.

  12. #4212
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    W
    FFS did you read my whole post? "Overall" means their whole scouting approach, which actually can hardly even be called scouting. I specifically mentioned that Insigne might be a great deal, and "very marketable" is an important part of value. Why do you read other things into my post?
    You wrote there could be better value found than what we have on the roster.

    But overall they could find better value and performance for the current budget. And yes we do end up paying for it somehow, e.g. by running out of cap space.

    If by that you mean Bono and Mavinga then sure but you left it wide open. Also our cap space is alright because all these kids aren't bringing a cap hit and rightfully so based on performance.

    And yes Manning used Transmarkt. Most GMs and such do but they don't advertise it as he did. That was a pretty dumb move but it doesn't change the fact that it's fairly normal for teams to do. We could be worse, we could be like LAG and have no scouting department and just have a network of agents who recommend players they think will fit and then end up with players like Costa. Currently I am unsure of our team's scouting department but I know BB has scouting connections and they're all over the place. That's where the value will come in (hopefully).

    As for getting better than Insigne & Bernie, well they both played on their national team and both featured for big club teams in a top 5 league. It cost a lot but finding players at this kind of age + CV is a very difficult task for MLS teams. If it were easy then other big spenders would have been doing it. Sure there are other players in Europe or SA who could provide as much (probably) for less (maybe) but would they agree to come to MLS? For our league at this point, this is how it goes. We're a lot like China was a while back but our countries are much better to live in.

  13. #4213
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree with this and really, people on here were shitting on the Salcedo lower priced DP deal before he even flew to Canada. He could have been Zimmerman 2.0 or better and the stigma of being a waste of a DP spot would always be mentioned on here because he would never equal value to his DP spot, not the money involved but who they could have gotten instead. Like you said, it's MLSE money to spend and they got a lot of it plus they know things we don't based on advertising, MLS deals, side deals, so I am sure they're not blindly tossing cash down the drain. Plus playoffs equals more money and winning things like this upcoming League's Cup will draw eyes and they are well aware of this. The true value comes from team success and that can't be judged until the team is more completely assembled. In retrospect Jozy would appear a massive bust and a total valueless player (compared to his cost) but he contributed to our trophies and our best years so he is a legend. That's how value should be judged.
    I was actually hopeful for Salcedo. But I also think it was a way to try to save face on a bad Soteldo deal. Plus I guess they didn't have another buyout available, so they needed to get creative? I thought Salcedo was improving especially towards the end, had good attitude, handled everything professionally, but also wanted to go home. Maybe it was overall a good way to get out of a tricky contract situation.

    Oh and BTW Manning was also the president when Soteldo was signed...

  14. #4214
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    7,291
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm not "crying" about Auro. Some of the vague rumours bug me, because there are two sides to every story. And if he had to go, I can't believe that in 6 months you can't find a better stopgap RB than playing Kosi out of position. We still don't know if they will find a RB, plus at most it will be one and no depth.

    There's been a tire fire all season up to now, including last night. As a result the kids didn't learn as much as they could, and likely got burned. I bet some of these kids will move on to do pretty well on other teams, as has happened in the past.
    We tied a team 1-1. We lost on a coin toss, aka Penalty shootouts. Last night wasn't a tire fire. There were major lulls and negative movement of the ball, but it was not a tire fire or a disaster or disorganized. You're blowing it out of proportion because it was a cup game, and yes that sucks and it fucked us over for CCL, but it's not a disaster. Not in a year where you got rid of 20 players from your roster to start the year.



    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    And HOLY SHIT VALUE DOES NOT MEAN SPEND LESS! We have absolutely NO IDEA if they got the best DPs they could afford because their scouting is so weak. Why the hell can't they hire a full-time Transfermarkt scroller, that picks out the best finds from all around the world, and presents the short lists to Manning and the management team for final evaluation and selection? What if they had found a more solid, more elite player for the same bazillion dollars? Would that be a bad thing? That's not a knock on any specific player they actually signed. It's saying the process sucks, and we have no idea what we're missing out on as a result.
    You idea of value is "What if..."? What if there's a better DP out there? I remember people sobbing because we got Pozuelo as a DP because there were better options out there. He took us to an MLS Cup final and then had an MVP season the following year.
    You are asking "What If..." about 2 elite players who have only played 1.5 games. One of them has 1G and 2A already. The scouts in place have been there for years. There is a setup that exists. We have no idea what the inner workings of that are.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 07-27-2022 at 04:48 PM.

  15. #4215
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You wrote there could be better value found than what we have on the roster.

    If by that you mean Bono and Mavinga then sure but you left it wide open. Also our cap space is alright because all these kids aren't bringing a cap hit and rightfully so based on performance.

    And yes Manning used Transmarkt. Most GMs and such do but they don't advertise it as he did. That was a pretty dumb move but it doesn't change the fact that it's fairly normal for teams to do. We could be worse, we could be like LAG and have no scouting department and just have a network of agents who recommend players they think will fit and then end up with players like Costa. Currently I am unsure of our team's scouting department but I know BB has scouting connections and they're all over the place. That's where the value will come in (hopefully).

    As for getting better than Insigne & Bernie, well they both played on their national team and both featured for big club teams in a top 5 league. It cost a lot but finding players at this kind of age + CV is a very difficult task for MLS teams. If it were easy then other big spenders would have been doing it. Sure there are other players in Europe or SA who could provide as much (probably) for less (maybe) but would they agree to come to MLS? For our league at this point, this is how it goes. We're a lot like China was a while back but our countries are much better to live in.
    We have no idea if they got the best DPs they could (or TAM / GAM, whatever), because of their process. I don't think presidents should be doing the initial scan through Transfermarkt, because there are specialists that can do a better job at that. Yes "teams" use Transfermarkt, but presidents on their own? That would be a pretty bad use of their human resources. TFC / MLSE is a large enough organization that should be able to afford someone like that. And yes once they started looking in Italy I'm concerned they may have relied to much on certain agents.

    I never said it was easy. That's why they should have a specialist assisting the joint president of two pro sports teams.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 07-27-2022 at 04:56 PM.

  16. #4216
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Also, been watching a lot of MLS games trying to find some guys we could target in the offseason and Keegan Rosenberry has caught my attention. He is Colorado's RB. He isn't gonna wow you on offense or with his pace, but he is a proven, steady and effective MLS defender. Can play CB in a pinch aswell. Very similar to Beita was back when we brought him in. We don't need a bomber with Bernie playing RW, we just need a smart, technical player who will do the dirty work and not cheaply turn the ball over 4 or 5 times a game.
    And if you were to pursue a trade for Ayo in MLS for a position of need (and to open that U-22 spot), why not see how desperate Orlando is for goals? Offer Ayo for Ruan and use that u-22 spot on Rodrigo Nestor or a CB.

  17. #4217
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You idea of value is "What if..."? What if there's a better DP out there? I remember people sobbing because we got Pozuelo as a DP because there were better options out there. He took us to an MLS Cup final and then had an MVP season the following year.
    You are asking "What If..." about 2 elite players who have only played 1.5 games. One of them has 1G and 2A already. The scouts in place have been there for years. There is a setup that exists. We have no idea what the inner workings of that are.
    I'm saying "what if" about the literally thousands of excellent players who may be available around the world, that a president doesn't know as well as others could because he has a ton of of other important duties.

  18. #4218
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    7,291
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm saying "what if" about the literally thousands of excellent players who may be available around the world, that a president doesn't know as well as others could because he has a ton of of other important duties.
    C'mon man seriously? You think there are that many great options better than the two we got - guys who have the crowd appeal and skill as these two guys? they play right into the system that our manager loves to play. They are already producing with limited conditioning. You can already see how much better these guys are compared to others around them. And all you can do is question if they are the right players for us? Because there MIGHT be others out there we didn't consider?

    This isn't about finding a diamond in the rough that might work out. They got guys would sell tickets and have immediate impacts.

  19. #4219
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    7,291
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I'm saying "what if" about the literally thousands of excellent players who may be available around the world, that a president doesn't know as well as others could because he has a ton of of other important duties.
    other than "Because Bill manning found them on transfermarkt" why are these two players the wrong guys for TFC? what are they lacking that is out there waiting for us to find?

  20. #4220
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You idea of value is "What if..."? What if there's a better DP out there? I remember people sobbing because we got Pozuelo as a DP because there were better options out there. He took us to an MLS Cup final and then had an MVP season the following year.
    You are asking "What If..." about 2 elite players who have only played 1.5 games. One of them has 1G and 2A already. The scouts in place have been there for years. There is a setup that exists. We have no idea what the inner workings of that are.
    BTW I dislike your repeated use of "sobbing" about people who want to discuss if there might be a more effective method than how MLSE operates. BTW I thought Pozuelo was great from the start. They just could have got him on a free in January of the year they signed him, and w/o any transfersoap, if they hadn't screwed up and waited out the Seba and Jozy deals. That's when Pozuelo was negotiating with a middle-eastern team, which was all over European and especially Belgian footy news at the time. (They supposedly had him on their radar for longer, but didn't pay any attention then.) Pozuelo could have had an off-season break, started training with team from the start, and maybe won CCL with us?

  21. #4221
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    other than "Because Bill manning found them on transfermarkt" why are these two players the wrong guys for TFC? what are they lacking that is out there waiting for us to find?
    What part of the process assures you that these were the very best players in the world available to the team?

  22. #4222
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I disagree. I don't think the kids will learn much more than bad habits and broken confidence in the middle of a tire fire. Some of them aren't even playing in their best position. And they just keep playing them game after game even if they screw up.
    Agreed.

    You want to develop under an environment where you have some stability and the people around you on the field are strong partners. We have too many weak links and too many problems. Makes it hard for a young player to understand what they need to do. That’s not to say everything has to be perfect but you need to occasionally hit the mark in terms of sharp performances.


    Also needs to be a bit more coaching out obvious flaws. If I see Nelson jog while the rest of the team is pressing one more time and watch Insigne peel past him a full gear I will lose it.

    The message from the sideline on they sort of stuff should be clear and immediate. Get on board with pressing or get nailed to the bench.

  23. #4223
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yes "teams" use Transfermarkt, but presidents on their own? That would be a pretty bad use of their human resources. TFC / MLSE is a large enough organization that should be able to afford someone like that. And yes once they started looking in Italy I'm concerned they may have relied to much on certain agents.

    I never said it was easy. That's why they should have a specialist assisting the joint president of two pro sports teams.
    They hired a specialist for this job already. His name was Ali Curtis and during the time he was allowed to do this job we all bagged on Manning for being 'hands off' and not being involved enough at TFC. Now he gets involved in a way he knows how and takes the initiative to get us legit DPs and now he's wrong for not delegating it out to another Curtis type guy?

  24. #4224
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They hired a specialist for this job already. His name was Ali Curtis and during the time he was allowed to do this job we all bagged on Manning for being 'hands off' and not being involved enough at TFC. Now he gets involved in a way he knows how and takes the initiative to get us legit DPs and now he's wrong for not delegating it out to another Curtis type guy?
    LOL you guys are funny. Ali Curtis was another lazy signing, of a guy Manning knew from the past. And not a "specialist" at anything other than sucking. Plus he had a ton of other duties. No I don't think Ali Curtis should have been the guy to do the initial world-wide scan for talent either.

  25. #4225
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They hired a specialist for this job already. His name was Ali Curtis and during the time he was allowed to do this job we all bagged on Manning for being 'hands off' and not being involved enough at TFC. Now he gets involved in a way he knows how and takes the initiative to get us legit DPs and now he's wrong for not delegating it out to another Curtis type guy?
    manning is the guy who hired him after a 3 min search and gave curtis and himself 3 year contracts and approved the armas and soltelo signings,,,he should of been the first guy out.
    its easy to sign people when you flashing that kinda of cash

  26. #4226
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    here bill let me give you some help
    player
    Nat.
    Age
    Out-of-contract since
    Market value
    Serge Aurier Serge Aurier
    Right-Back
    Cote d'Ivoire 29 Jul 1, 2022 $11.00m
    Djibril Sidibé Djibril Sidibé
    Right-Back
    France
    Mali 29 Jul 1, 2022 $8.80m
    William William
    Right-Back
    Brazil 27 Jul 1, 2022 $2.75m
    Eli Dasa Eli Dasa
    Right-Back
    Israel
    Ethiopia 29 Jul 1, 2022 $2.20m
    Tommy Smith Tommy Smith
    Right-Back
    England 30 Jul 1, 2022 $1.98m
    Denys Favorov Denys Favorov
    Right-Back
    Ukraine 31 Jul 1, 2022 $1.65m
    Cyrus Christie Cyrus Christie
    Right-Back
    Ireland
    England 29 Jul 1, 2022 $1.32m
    Ximo Navarro Ximo Navarro
    Right-Back
    Spain 32 Jul 1, 2022 $1.32m
    Cristiano Piccini Cristiano Piccini
    Right-Back
    Italy 29 Jul 13, 2022 $1.32m
    Lukas Klünter Lukas Klünter
    Right-Back
    Germany 26 Jul 1, 2022 $1.32m
    Carlos Akapo Carlos Akapo
    Right-Back
    Equatorial Guinea
    Spain 29 Jul 1, 2022 $1.32m
    Ales Mateju Ales Mateju
    Right-Back
    Czech Republic 26 Jul 1, 2022 $1.10m
    Kévin Malcuit Kévin Malcuit
    Right-Back
    France
    Morocco 30 Jul 1, 2022 $1.10m
    Martin Kelly Martin Kelly
    Right-Back
    England 32 Jul 1, 2022 $1.10m
    Herbert Bockhorn Herbert Bockhorn
    Right-Back
    Germany 27 Jul 1, 2022 $880Th.
    Jérémy Pied Jérémy Pied
    Right-Back
    France 33 Jul 1, 2022 $880Th.
    Fouad Chafik Fouad Chafik
    Right-Back
    Morocco
    France 35 Jul 1, 2022 $880Th.
    Jordan Ikoko Jordan Ikoko
    Right-Back
    DR Congo
    France 28 Jul 1, 2022 $770Th.
    Thales Thales
    Right-Back
    Brazil
    Portugal 28 Jul 21, 2022 $770Th.
    Aitor Buńuel Aitor Buńuel
    Right-Back
    Spain 24 Jul 1, 2022 $770Th.
    Dragan Mihajlovic Dragan Mihajlovic
    Right-Back
    Switzerland
    Serbia 30 Jul 1, 2022 $715Th.
    Coke Coke
    Right-Back
    Spain 35 Jul 1, 2022 $660Th.
    Giovanni Troupée Giovanni Troupée
    Right-Back
    Netherlands
    Curacao 24 Jul 1, 2022 $660Th.
    Andre Wisdom Andre Wisdom
    Right-Back
    England
    Jamaica 29 Jul 1, 2021 $660Th.
    Mohamed Réda Halaďmia Mohamed Réda Halaďmia
    Right-Back
    Algeria 25 Jul 1, 2022 $660Th.
    Eric Boakye Eric Boakye
    Right-Back
    Ghana 22 Jul 5, 2022 $660Th.
    Antonio Barragán Antonio Barragán
    Right-Back
    Spain 35 Jul 1, 2022 $660Th.
    Edu Campabadal Edu Campabadal
    Right-Back
    Spain 29 Jul 1, 2022 $660Th.
    Abdullahi Shehu Abdullahi Shehu
    Right-Back
    Nigeria 29 Jul 1, 2022 $660Th.
    Sebastian Ohlsson Sebastian Ohlsson
    Right-Back
    Sweden 29 Jul 1, 2022 $605Th.
    Tobias Pachonik Tobias Pachonik
    Right-Back
    Germany 27 Jul 1, 2022 $605Th.
    Carl Jenkinson Carl Jenkinson
    Right-Back
    England
    Finland 30 Jul 1, 2022 $550Th.
    Riccardo Fiamozzi Riccardo Fiamozzi
    Right-Back
    Italy 29 Jul 1, 2022 $550Th.
    Daniel Brosinski Daniel Brosinski
    Right-Back
    Germany 34 Jul 1, 2022 $550Th.
    Marc Navarro Marc Navarro
    Right-Back
    Spain 27 Aug 31, 2021 $550Th.
    Armel Zohouri Armel Zohouri
    Right-Back
    Cote d'Ivoire 21 Jul 1, 2022 $550Th.
    Georgi Zotov Georgi Zotov
    Right-Back
    Russia 32 Jul 1, 2022 $550Th.
    Davide Santon Davide Santon
    Right-Back
    Italy 31 Jul 1, 2022 $550Th.
    Stéphane Lambese Stéphane Lambese
    Right-Back
    Haiti
    France 26 Jul 1, 2022 $550Th.
    Jonathan Jonathan
    Right-Back
    Brazil 29 Jul 22, 2022 $495Th.
    Calogero Rizzuto Calogero Rizzuto
    Right-Back
    Germany
    Italy 30 Jul 1, 2022 $495Th.
    Dmitri Miroshnichenko Dmitri Miroshnichenko
    Right-Back
    Kazakhstan
    Russia 30 Jul 1, 2022 $495Th.
    Laurent Dos Santos Laurent Dos Santos
    Right-Back
    France
    Portugal 29 Jul 1, 2022 $495Th.
    Joăo Pedro Joăo Pedro
    Right-Back
    Portugal 36 Jul 1, 2022 $440Th.
    José Madueńa José Madueńa
    Right-Back
    Mexico 32 Jul 1, 2022 $440Th.
    Iván Rodríguez Iván Rodríguez
    Right-Back
    Spain 26 Jul 1, 2022 $440Th.
    Paul Aguilar Paul Aguilar
    Right-Back
    Mexico 36 Jul 1, 2022 $440Th.
    Paulinho Paulinho
    Right-Back
    Portugal 31 Jul 1, 2022 $440Th.
    Emanuel Sakic Emanuel Sakic
    Right-Back
    Austria 31 Jul 1, 2022 $440Th.
    Barnabás Bese Barnabás Bese
    Right-Back
    Hungary 28 Jul 1, 2022 $440Th.

  27. #4227
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I really don't understand why some people are so desperate to defend MLSE / TFC / Manning. In some ways, MLSE is a great organization compared to many MLS owners. They have the resources to truly be great. But they don't use them wisely. So they keep blowing a ton of cash, have lots of turnover at all levels, have to shed all kinds of players / management / contracts.

    It's kind of like the endless tiring discussion comparing Bernardeschi and one CMNT team player that might have been available, I can't even remember who it was anymore. As if those were the only two players available in the world. BTW I already love Bernardeschi, I think he will probably do great.

    But long term I just want this team and organization to do better. I don't really care about results this year BTW. I rather they play kids than signing some bad panic deals. But for example: I just think after 6 months, and months of seeing that Kosi isn't the solution, they could have signed a half-decent RB, that might become the backup if they have room to sign a top RB next year. Right now, we have a neither a RB nor a backup at that position.

    Maybe this is finally the time they improve long-term, and try to emulate Seattle for example? (Who don't look too great this year BTW, we shall see.) I still have hope, but I somehow doubt that Manning is the right guy to lead it. Maybe they can push him up into more "presidential" roles and let other guys do the jobs they're best at. We shall see.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 07-27-2022 at 05:45 PM.

  28. #4228
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,400
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I somehow doubt that Manning is the right guy to lead it. Maybe they can push him up into more "presidential" roles and let other guys do the jobs they're best at. We shall see.
    He isn't the guy. He is the guy to work the DPs. For sure he will be all in on getting DP #3 but as for the shape of the roster, the academy, the style of play, etc, it's pretty clear that's all Bob now. He's the guy doing the leading. Eventually he will probably be in the Bez/Curtis chair and MB will be on the pitch. Not sure if that's good or not but that's how I see things going.

  29. #4229
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    7,291
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    What part of the process assures you that these were the very best players in the world available to the team?
    I don't care about the process - which specifically is Bill Manning looking at Transfer market and going after the best players who would even entertain joining MLS. That seems to be your big hangup. I only care about the end result and that's getting guys in the door that can make an impact immediately.

    At the end of the day there are no bigger names in their prime able to contribute at the level these guys can contribute at coming into MLS (except Gareth Bale, but he was never coming here).

    The playerss who have come into the league in 2022 are not top 10% quality in the world. They haven't been tearing up the league and dragging their teams to sky high success. Better players don't want to come here. They are entertaining offers from mid to high level teams in top 5 leagues. We got 2 players who have played at the highest level of football for most of their career and could still easily do so - and you think there are better guys out there we COULD have gone after? Who can not only perform at the highest level of football, but also fulfill the business side of selling tickets, jerseys, sponsorships?

  30. #4230
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Northwest Territories (Section 226)
    Posts
    8,188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He isn't the guy. He is the guy to work the DPs. For sure he will be all in on getting DP #3 but as for the shape of the roster, the academy, the style of play, etc, it's pretty clear that's all Bob now. He's the guy doing the leading. Eventually he will probably be in the Bez/Curtis chair and MB will be on the pitch. Not sure if that's good or not but that's how I see things going.
    MB coaching would be another lazy signing, so it's probably gonna happen. How about he gets all his badges, earns his stripes in a couple of spots, before getting coronated?

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •