Page 30 of 166 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 900 of 4963
  1. #871
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think the false 9 part was only really a tactic because Altidore was constantly injured and we had no forward depth.

    I agree heís a #10. Itís a bit crazy we arenít tilting our setup towards that at the moment but I guess Bob is thinking long term.
    For sure, Poz played the false 9 when Vanney didnít have a striker. We saw him there pretty often and it wasnít ideal.

    And yeah, thereís nothing much to suggest Bradley would play Poz either as Vanney did or as he was played in Belgium when he was MVP there. I get that, but itís always frustrating to see a fine player underperforming.

  2. #872
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Steven Vitoria seems most likely. Weíre struggling defensively, heís 35 but heís also Canadian and out of contract.
    Makes sense to me. He needs to play.

  3. #873
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think the key with Vitoria is a back 3. Although, I have to say, as a guy I previously wrote off as inconsistent (especially after flaming out of MLS) heís really impressed me with Canada.

  4. #874
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cyle Larin contract quietly expiring with Besiktas this month. Larin over Destro every day of the week. MLS experience, domestic, younger, plays on the wing in Turkey.

    Even with allocation order costs, Larin is by far the better option.

  5. #875
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Cyle Larin contract quietly expiring with Besiktas this month. Larin over Destro every day of the week. MLS experience, domestic, younger, plays on the wing in Turkey.

    Even with allocation order costs, Larin is by far the better option.
    He’s had some options at bigger clubs but maybe those have dried up. Everton was apparently interested if they stayed up, which they have. Sure would be great. Again, I don’t think there’s a shot without a DP slot.

  6. #876
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    You are misconstruing my point. Richie didnít start because Spence is better and they were happy with Colback on the left, even though itís not his natural position. But he was a regular in the bench, including in important games. We donít know why he wasnít on the bench for the playoff final, unless you have read something that the rest of us have not. Could easily be a minor injury. The fact he wasnít on the bench that day isnít really material; he was deemed good enough for the bench behind Spence and not good enough to start ahead of him.
    Not trying to spin what youíre saying Iím just not looking at a single game to make my assessment. He made 2 appearances in garbage time basically from Feb thru May. Thatís telling to me as 24ish games being available including a jammed pack April schedule and you can only muster 2 appearance. If you canít make the squad that played two games per week for the month of April is pretty obvious why that is.

    I get Spence is better but heís also behind roughly 5 other subs every game and behind even more people when considering he doesnít make the final game.

    Also as I stated we know why he not playing and itís because heís not good enough or the best option. April having 8 games solidifies that. Injury aside there is only two variables that decides who plays and that is the coach and the player. Itís safe to assume itís not a bad coaching decision since the coach has done Gods work by pulling a team out of the ashes to promotion not once but twice.

  7. #877
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    Not trying to spin what you’re saying I’m just not looking at a single game to make my assessment. He made 2 appearances in garbage time basically from Feb thru May. That’s telling to me as 24ish games being available including a jammed pack April schedule and you can only muster 2 appearance. If you can’t make the squad that played two games per week for the month of April is pretty obvious why that is.

    I get Spence is better but he’s also behind roughly 5 other subs every game and behind even more people when considering he doesn’t make the final game.

    Also as I stated we know why he not playing and it’s because he’s not good enough or the best option. April having 8 games solidifies that. Injury aside there is only two variables that decides who plays and that is the coach and the player. It’s safe to assume it’s not a bad coaching decision since the coach has done Gods work by pulling a team out of the ashes to promotion not once but twice.
    He’s not good enough to unseat Djed Spence, who’s being sought by Tottenham for $25M pounds. That’s all it says. The other subs are irrelevant, since they all play different positions. He’s the only other right back they’ve carried for most of the season. But Spence didn’t sub off for the last dozen or so games of the season, so by the time Richie was settled there he wasn’t going to get time regardless.

    Again, I’m not arguing he’s good enough to start for Forrest but “not good enough” is a pretty relative statement. No other right wingback in in the Championship would’ve been getting playing time there, either. Both Spence and Brennan Johnson have 90 minute motors.

    IN fact, from the games I saw, Cooper only subbed guys off in the 70th minute or later, and usually it was central guys because of their need to cover more ground.

  8. #878
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Cyle Larin contract quietly expiring with Besiktas this month. Larin over Destro every day of the week. MLS experience, domestic, younger, plays on the wing in Turkey.

    Even with allocation order costs, Larin is by far the better option.
    always thought larin would be an incredible DP at some point, would only work if salcedo salary is structured for him to be bought down with TAM (either 2nd half of season or next year).

    i think you need a DP strike to be a really successful team in MLS.

  9. #879
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I could see Larin being max TAM. I'm not sure he's worth over the $2m mark.

  10. #880
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    3,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Most of these European CMNT players are likely to try and stay in Europe until after the World Cup. Herdman had a quote saying he wanted his players playing at the highest level possible. For someone like Vitoria who is 35, MLS might be that for him.

  11. #881
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    217
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Cyle Larin contract quietly expiring with Besiktas this month. Larin over Destro every day of the week. MLS experience, domestic, younger, plays on the wing in Turkey.

    Even with allocation order costs, Larin is by far the better option.
    Glad youíre not running the team, MLS experience counts for not much, heís Canadian who cares , not TFCs responsibility to keep developing Canadians, Destro is only 31 has scored over 100 goals in Italy, Larin would never ever get signed in Serie A, no brainer for me , itís Destro

  12. #882
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think the key with Vitoria is a back 3. Although, I have to say, as a guy I previously wrote off as inconsistent (especially after flaming out of MLS) heís really impressed me with Canada.
    Yes, a back three. Not sure overall that he is B. Bradleyís type but heís been solid with Canada. He can pass and youíd have to think heíd help with the organizational and leadership work currently lacking. The combination of Vitoria and Westberg might at least help to right the ship back there.

  13. #883
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Glad youíre not running the team, MLS experience counts for not much, heís Canadian who cares , not TFCs responsibility to keep developing Canadians, Destro is only 31 has scored over 100 goals in Italy, Larin would never ever get signed in Serie A, no brainer for me , itís Destro
    Youíre talking about a 27 year old, that doesnít count as an international, has the flexibility to play on the wing and can obviously score goals in MLS against a 31 year old striker who has only played 30 games 3 times his entire career. This season Destro went the full 90 only 7 times in 30 appearances (under 25% of the time) and missed 6 matches to injury.

    I donít really care heís Canadian beyond the novelty. Heíd be the better move now and 3-5 years from now.

    (And Destro has 90 goals in Serie A, 97 total)
    Last edited by portu; 05-31-2022 at 11:13 PM.

  14. #884
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    3,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Insigne seemingly already working with the TFC training staff. He is injured and out for today's game against Argentina.

    https://m.tuttonapoli.net/notizie/ul...gentina-506146

  15. #885
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Youíre talking about a 27 year old, that doesnít count as an international, has the flexibility to play on the wing and can obviously score goals in MLS against a 31 year old striker who has only played 30 games 3 times his entire career. This season Destro went the full 90 only 7 times in 30 appearances (under 25% of the time) and missed 6 matches to injury.

    I donít really care heís Canadian beyond the novelty. Heíd be the better move now and 3-5 years from now.

    (And Destro has 90 goals in Serie A, 97 total)
    Two things though; first Larin would be a DP and Destro would be TAM. Second, and probably more important, when he was on Orlando and they wanted to move him after his dodgy car incident he was asked about preferred destinations and he did not want Toronto. Not sure why because we were good then and not sure if he still thinks that way but he might.

  16. #886
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    when he was on Orlando and they wanted to move him after his dodgy car incident he was asked about preferred destinations and he did not want Toronto. Not sure why because we were good then and not sure if he still thinks that way but he might.
    Could just be he wanted to play away from home. Richie Laryea said the same thing when he was being drafted, he did not want to come to Toronto. I think it might be because they'd get comfortable playing at home. But playing away from home in the MLS, doesn't establish that level of comfort and keeps their motivation to make the move to Europe. Playing at home, you might say, one more year, one more year, then suddenly you're here forever

  17. #887
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    19,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wasn't Larin & Laryea both Sigma players?

    Sigma & TFC did (do?) not get along - might have been a bit of that involved.

    *********

    If we are going to play the former player game - naming 2


    Beitashour

    Josh Williams

  18. #888
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Could just be he wanted to play away from home. Richie Laryea said the same thing when he was being drafted, he did not want to come to Toronto. I think it might be because they'd get comfortable playing at home. But playing away from home in the MLS, doesn't establish that level of comfort and keeps their motivation to make the move to Europe. Playing at home, you might say, one more year, one more year, then suddenly you're here forever
    This is very possible. He would be a good guy to get but I question whether his heart is in MLS at this stage of career and also the factor that this DP/TAM forward we get is supposed to be a "buddy" to Insigne to make him feel at home. Larin won't do that and I really don't want that Criscito rumor to restart.

  19. #889
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Two things though; first Larin would be a DP and Destro would be TAM. Second, and probably more important, when he was on Orlando and they wanted to move him after his dodgy car incident he was asked about preferred destinations and he did not want Toronto. Not sure why because we were good then and not sure if he still thinks that way but he might.
    I don't think Larin can command DP money. Wanting to come here is a different story, and I'd wager that a strong reason for not wanting Toronto back then would have been because he'd be sitting on the bench behind Jozy and Seba.

  20. #890
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Re: Destro generally I don't think this would be a good move. For a TAM guy I think you want a better track record than he has for fitness on the wrong side of 30. From past post: only played 30 games 3 times his entire career. This season he went the full 90 only 7 times in 30 appearances (under 25% of the time) and missed 6 matches to injury.

  21. #891
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I don't think Larin can command DP money. Wanting to come here is a different story, and I'd wager that a strong reason for not wanting Toronto back then would have been because he'd be sitting on the bench behind Jozy and Seba.
    He was getting 1.88M Euros this season in Turkey. That's DP money right here and I doubt he would take a pay cut at 27 to come to MLS. Maybe at 30 but not now and not when he will be playing (and marketing himself) in the WC in the Fall.

  22. #892
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    3,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Wasn't Larin & Laryea both Sigma players?

    Sigma & TFC did (do?) not get along - might have been a bit of that involved.

    *********

    If we are going to play the former player game - naming 2


    Beitashour

    Josh Williams
    I just got cold chills remembering that Doneil Henry is both a CMNT player and former TFC player.

  23. #893
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I just got cold chills remembering that Doneil Henry is both a CMNT player and former TFC player.
    For all his recklessness, he also averaged seven headed clearances and two-plus tackles per game for us. That kind of aerial domination would come in handy given that our CBs keep getting caught over the top.

  24. #894
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,098
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    For all his recklessness, he also averaged seven headed clearances and two-plus tackles per game for us. That kind of aerial domination would come in handy given that our CBs keep getting caught over the top.
    I would take him tomorrow and live with his red card roulette on a weekly basis and not even complain that much.

  25. #895
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    3,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    For all his recklessness, he also averaged seven headed clearances and two-plus tackles per game for us. That kind of aerial domination would come in handy given that our CBs keep getting caught over the top.
    Fair point. I am not sure he is a better CB than O'Neill or MacNaughton though. I feel like he'd be a 4th or 5th choice. Maybe a decent shout if Mavinga is moving on in the summer.

  26. #896
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    7,273
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Insigne with another muscle injury today....FAAAACCCCKKKK

  27. #897
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    19,294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Reason I picked those 2

    I would rate Williams as a #5 CB who would do well as a sub late

    &

    Beitashour as a steady defensive influence who the kids would learn from


    Both would help lock things down at the end of games

  28. #898
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Reason I picked those 2

    I would rate Williams as a #5 CB who would do well as a sub late

    &

    Beitashour as a steady defensive influence who the kids would learn from


    Both would help lock things down at the end of games
    Williams has been a steady starter/rotation player in Columbus. I doubt he’d move to be a backup again here when he can just as easily be a backup there and maybe win a starting role again. They seem to rate him there higher than a #5 CB.

  29. #899
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Insigne with another muscle injury today....FAAAACCCCKKKK
    has tended to recover quite quickly from those, rarely missed a game this year.

    that being said, watch him become injury prone now we have him.

  30. #900
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    3,891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    has tended to recover quite quickly from those, rarely missed a game this year.

    that being said, watch him become injury prone now we have him.
    I'd honestly rather him sit out this whole useless international break.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •