Page 12 of 193 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In desperate need of help on the right side and this happens. Hopefully it is only a couple months for JMR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    In desperate need of help on the right side and this happens. Hopefully it is only a couple months for JMR.
    In a pinch, O’Neill has played there in the past and we could call up Franklin.

Have to figure we’ll be getting three or four bodies in July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kobe Franklin signed on a 4-day loan, so he should play tomorrow
    https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...term-agreement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Kobe Franklin signed on a 4-day loan, so he should play tomorrow
    https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...term-agreement
    He's my colleague's nephew. I am pumped for him!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When does Ayo Akinola come back from injury?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne is pretty good at penalties.

Edit

& quick free kicks.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-03-2022 at 09:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    When does Ayo Akinola come back from injury?
    He’s back in full training now, so hopefully a few weeks away.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So where does Ayo slot? Do we play him as a strike partner with JJ and see how that works out? It's a 3-4-3 right now but I'm actually trying to visualize where he slots in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    So where does Ayo slot? Do we play him as a strike partner with JJ and see how that works out? It's a 3-4-3 right now but I'm actually trying to visualize where he slots in.
    That’s funny, didn’t see this and put it in the other thread. Only place really is the right or back up striker, if we keep the same formation.

EDIT - initially at least for the next 3 or 4 games. He should be brought back slowly and probably and a 70th minute replacement. Nice problem to have

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, Ayo had one solid run or games as a pro where he looked like a legit starting striker. Otherwise, his form was up and down and I’d tag him as still developing.

I don’t think you worry about fitting him into a starting 11. Consistent 30+ min sub appearances or starts when fixture congestion hits makes sense though. Give him a chance to prove himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With line-up quality being so piss poor, there is no discussion about Ayo. He starts. You figure it out. We’ve got literal children on the pitch right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ayo has played on the wing at times with the US youth teams. Jimenez has also played on the wing. You can find a way to play them both.

In other news, Mavinga posted an Instagram story with the caption "Learning to be calm when you're disrespected is a superpower." Feel like he isn't too happy about sitting on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It appears the Mullinho MLS era is over. My sympathies to MikeForbes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Ayo has played on the wing at times with the US youth teams. Jimenez has also played on the wing. You can find a way to play them both.

In other news, Mavinga posted an Instagram story with the caption "Learning to be calm when you're disrespected is a superpower." Feel like he isn't too happy about sitting on the bench.
    That sucks, he should play better. Getting your spot taken by a CPL player and a guy who is playing on his wrong side should wake you up a bit

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will always have this...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/goal...fc-81st-minute

(Yes, we somehow managed to actually lose that game from there)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a ruse. He's just trying to shock the world-wide football community. The multi-million-dollar offers from the Saudis and others will soon be fluttering in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mullinho lives forever on. Excuse me, I have something in my eye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recall a few comments saying Raheem Edwards was not worth a look when it was reported that we were in on him during free agency... well he's got 4 assists already, leading the league, and lord knows we could use another fullback right now.

Just saying. Solid player that in my opinion was mis-used by multiple teams and coaches and his career suffered a bit for it. Don't blame him wanting to play under Vanney again, and not surprised Vanney is getting the best out of him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Just saying. Solid player that in my opinion was mis-used by multiple teams and coaches and his career suffered a bit for it. Don't blame him wanting to play under Vanney again, and not surprised Vanney is getting the best out of him.
    Vanney was the first guy that sent him packing from an MLS club and although he was good under Vanney, it was Bob that resurrected his career at LAFC.

I wanted us to get him as well but there is merit to going with youth in a full rebuild and if Bob did it once, he should be able to do it again with at least a few of our young guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Vanney was the first guy that sent him packing from an MLS club and although he was good under Vanney, it was Bob that resurrected his career at LAFC.

I wanted us to get him as well but there is merit to going with youth in a full rebuild and if Bob did it once, he should be able to do it again with at least a few of our young guys.
    He may get a look for Canada if he keeps it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney didn't necessarily send him packing - we just left him exposed in the Expansion Draft. I don't think there's any indication that we wanted him to get picked. TFC may have hoped that he wouldn't be claimed because he'd require an international slot for US teams, but Montreal ended up acquiring him for Laurent Ciman. In hindsight, we maybe could have exposed Hagglund or Zavaleta, but both of them were coming off solid years. Hagglund also showed he was valued in the league (or at least by Cinci) when we traded him for a bunch of GAM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

? He was selected in the expansion draft, Vanney never wanted to lose him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

? He was selected in the expansion draft, Vanney never wanted to lose him.
    Yes but that was a Vanney/Bez decision and it followed the rumors of his poor attitude in training and followed being confronted by Bradley. It was a choice to let him go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but that was a Vanney/Bez decision and it followed the rumors of his poor attitude in training and followed being confronted by Bradley. It was a choice to let him go.
    I don't know, I've never really bought those rumours. Doesn't seem like Vanney has anything against him either considering he just went out and signed him.

My recollection of that expansion draft was we just came off the treble with the trio of Mavinga, Moor and Zavaleta at the back and we didn't want to break that up, and with the expansion rules it came down to a choice between Zavaleta and Edwards. Probably the wrong choice but it made more sense at the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, I've never really bought those rumours. Doesn't seem like Vanney has anything against him either considering he just went out and signed him.

My recollection of that expansion draft was we just came off the treble with the trio of Mavinga, Moor and Zavaleta at the back and we didn't want to break that up, and with the expansion rules it came down to a choice between Zavaleta and Edwards. Probably the wrong choice but it made more sense at the time.
    His jumping around afterwards and not wticking with teams even though he was effective was a sign though, especally in Montreal & Chicago who both were trash and needed the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His jumping around afterwards and not wticking with teams even though he was effective was a sign though, especally in Montreal & Chicago who both were trash and needed the help.
    Agree it’s likely a red flag.

That said, those issues seem to be largely behind him at this point (fingers crossed). He had offers on the table from us, LAFC, and LAG in the off-season, the places I assume he wanted to go. So teams have started to come around it would appear.

Clubs have done some crazy things over the course of his career though. He’s played everywhere from right forward, to AM, to left forward to fullback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Clubs have done some crazy things over the course of his career though. He’s played everywhere from right forward, to AM, to left forward to fullback.
    Yup, Montreal & Chicago in particular is what I was alluding to earlier, I don't think either of these clubs did him any favours.
    Last edited by notthesun; 04-04-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy idea, probably not a slam dunk but I’ll table it regardless: Theo Corbeanu on loan.

Plays on either side of the forward line up front. Has shown he’s quite capable but keeps getting the carpet ripped out from under him while on loan in the championship. Wouldn’t be a long term solution as he’d likely head back overseas but could be exciting to watch and do a job until the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Crazy idea, probably not a slam dunk but I’ll table it regardless: Theo Corbeanu on loan.

Plays on either side of the forward line up front. Has shown he’s quite capable but keeps getting the carpet ripped out from under him while on loan in the championship. Wouldn’t be a long term solution as he’d likely head back overseas but could be exciting to watch and do a job until the end of the season.
    He's already on loan for the season to Milton Keynes Dons in League One. Apparently doing quite well.