Page 163 of 193 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,890 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    ...The one real outlier in comparisons is whether the refs protect Insigne from MLS thuggery. Portland has pretty terrible discipline and a tendency to, um… “get stuck In”, as the euphemism used to suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Looked like that was Nashville's plan with the consistent early fouling on Insigne but luckily the ref was good and called them out on it. Not all refs will do that even though they should. MLS teams used that tactic on Giovinco back in the day as well and I remember his frustration game after game with it.
    What MLS/PRO needs...
    The likes of / more of...
    Pierluigi.

As 'Yannich 1991' suggests...

"In the world of sports, there are a lot of disputes regarding the G.O.A.T. status."
    "When it comes to football refereeing - it is undisputed!"
    "Collina is the G.O.A.T.!"

He should be consulting with / schooling MLS/PRO!

https://youtu.be/wDaOxWxWNDw
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-09-2022 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Grammar

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    On the second Oso goal Jesus actually made a run towards the near post/Richie that pulled Zimmerman away from Oso and helped open up the angle to get Oso the ball.
    Great pick up missed that, thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here's an idea:

Should we try to sign a DP goalkeeper? I know the accepted wisdom is it would be a waste of the spot, but if we're going to continue to play this way, with most of the goals coming from the midfield and the wings, why not try to sign a 25 - 27 year old stud GK who can maybe hold that position for 5 - 7(+) years? Because we're constantly worried about that position – it's been one of the glaring holes in the roster for years now. This way we could just lock it up long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    So here's an idea:

Should we try to sign a DP goalkeeper? I know the accepted wisdom is it would be a waste of the spot, but if we're going to continue to play this way, with most of the goals coming from the midfield and the wings, why not try to sign a 25 - 27 year old stud GK who can maybe hold that position for 5 - 7(+) years? Because we're constantly worried about that position – it's been one of the glaring holes in the roster for years now. This way we could just lock it up long term.
    Not sure on signing a DP keeper. I do wonder how highly they rate Luka Gavran though. He was just named the MLS Next Pro goalkeeper of the month. He has the size, for sure at 6'6. Anyone seen him play much? How is his distribution?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't sign a DP goalkeeper. We had Julio Cesar here in 2014 and what that showed me is if the defense is crap and they leave the keeper out to dry, it doesn't matter who the keeper is, goals will go in. That's not me saying put "any Joe Schmoe" in net, but that the difference between a good vs class keeper is less important that the difference between a good vs a class defender. Sign a good keeper in the 300-500k range that can distribute the ball and organize a line and spend the big bucks on a CB/CM instead

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're focused on getting back players who have done well elsewhere, why not try for Stefan Frei? (Getting rid of him was the worst deal ever, and probably cost us 2 MLS Cups).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some very good keepers available on frees this winter if we’re willing to wait 6 months.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/transf..._id=0&yt0=Show

I’m a fan of Paul Nardi and Lorient has been looking to ship him off since January. I’d imagine getting him before summer would be very possible.

Generally, I don’t believe high $$$ keepers have shown real value in this league. Moreover, I think a lot of the traditional MLS keeper crop (I.e. Johnson, Hamid) are way overvalued based on past brushes with the USMNT.

If you’re willing to give an INT spot, the market on keepers in the 350-700k range is flush with talent with genuine pedigree.

My personal belief is that getting a keeper in MLS is 90% finding a guy who isn’t going to give up embarrassing goals, 5% finding one that fits with your backline, and the other 5% is getting someone who can pull off an unreal save. Keeping, however, is such a confidence position and performances can change for a million reasons and the cap means you need to
    get value out of the guys you pay big $$$ to. Long-term solutions are therefore attractive, but more risky than they may seem - Bono was looking like a lock for a USMNT call-up when he got extended and now he’s a disaster with a good game here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If we're focused on getting back players who have done well elsewhere, why not try for Stefan Frei? (Getting rid of him was the worst deal ever, and probably cost us 2 MLS Cups).
    Would be good. But is he available and would he want to come back? And how much would it cost?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I wouldn't sign a DP goalkeeper. We had Julio Cesar here in 2014 and what that showed me is if the defense is crap and they leave the keeper out to dry, it doesn't matter who the keeper is, goals will go in. That's not me saying put "any Joe Schmoe" in net, but that the difference between a good vs class keeper is less important that the difference between a good vs a class defender. Sign a good keeper in the 300-500k range that can distribute the ball and organize a line and spend the big bucks on a CB/CM instead
    I wouldn't sign a DP GK but I would go for a TAM level one just based on how effective distribution could help our current BB system.

But for all these things I would wait to see if MLS rule mechanisms change this offseason as rumored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    So here's an idea:

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    There are some very good keepers available on frees this winter if we’re willing to wait 6 months.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/transf..._id=0&yt0=Show

I’m a fan of Paul Nardi and Lorient has been looking to ship him off since January. I’d imagine getting him before summer would be very possible.

Generally, I don’t believe high $$$ keepers have shown real value in this league. Moreover, I think a lot of the traditional MLS keeper crop (I.e. Johnson, Hamid) are way overvalued based on past brushes with the USMNT.

If you’re willing to give an INT spot, the market on keepers in the 350-700k range is flush with talent with genuine pedigree.

My personal belief is that getting a keeper in MLS is 90% finding a guy who isn’t going to give up embarrassing goals, 5% finding one that fits with your backline, and the other 5% is getting someone who can pull off an unreal save. Keeping, however, is such a confidence position and performances can change for a million reasons and the cap means you need to
    get value out of the guys you pay big $$$ to. Long-term solutions are therefore attractive, but more risky than they may seem - Bono was looking like a lock for a USMNT call-up when he got extended and now he’s a disaster with a good game here and there.
    TBH, I have flipped and flopped on the idea of a DP Goalkeeper.
    At this time I am back in the camp of... 'not ideal', given the current nature/structure of the MLS.

A solid take.
    Agree.
    Like the percentage breakdown et al.
    Goalkeepers/keeping is an enigma at worst; more so in the MLS.
    Their evaluation in so many aspects; example Frei?
    A toss-up, even gamble.
    Westberg, history for instance, a bouncer, even without clubs at times IIRC, and yet... a decent fit for/with TFC.
    There is merit in an argument about finding such a non-DP international.
    Paul Nardi at Lorient is a nice identification. Could he be a similar yet younger version of Westberg?
    He would be the sort of candidate that should be investigated and assessed further by TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

US Nats third choice Ethan Horvath is on perma-loan from Nottingham Forest, Richie’s club.

He came in last year and the public line was he would have an equal shot at the job. But Steve Cooper clearly doesn’t like foreign players, as he basically purged his squad of all but a couple. Almost all of their new signings from other leagues under Chris Hughton were either sent out on loan or released.

Anyway, Horvath finally got his shot when Samba went down injured and was clearly the more consistent of the two. But when Horvath got a US nats call up, Cooper dropped him and re-instated Samba… who then had a hissy fit at the end of the season and left for Ligue 1 when Forest wouldn’t pay him more.

Horvath is currently on loan at Luton. I wonder if we could swing a double deal next year to get Richie back full time and Horvath at the same time. Just a thought.

This season, even though Samba was leaving, Cooper brought in Wayne Hennessy and Dean Henderson on loan, making Horvath expendable. That team’s boss apparently being slightly xenophobic about his footballers’ national origins could be our gain.

(Or, you know, maybe it just happened that not one foreign player was good enough for forest’s first team other than Zinckernagel…. who they then let sign for Olympiacos on a free at the end of the season, even though they had the option, and he had seven goals and 10 assists.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

US Nats third choice Ethan Horvath is on perma-loan from Nottingham Forest, Richie’s club.

He came in last year and the public line was he would have an equal shot at the job. But Steve Cooper clearly doesn’t like foreign players, as he basically purged his squad of all but a couple. Almost all of their new signings from other leagues under Chris Hughton were either sent out on loan or released.

Anyway, Horvath finally got his shot when Samba went down injured and was clearly the more consistent of the two. But when Horvath got a US nats call up, Cooper dropped him and re-instated Samba… who then had a hissy fit at the end of the season and left for Ligue 1 when Forest wouldn’t pay him more.

Horvath is currently on loan at Luton. I wonder if we could swing a double deal next year to get Richie back full time and Horvath at the same time. Just a thought.

This season, even though Samba was leaving, Cooper brought in Wayne Hennessy and Dean Henderson on loan, making Horvath expendable. That team’s boss apparently being slightly xenophobic about his footballers’ national origins could be our gain.

(Or, you know, maybe it just happened that not one foreign player was good enough for forest’s first team other than Zinckernagel…. who they then let sign for Olympiacos on a free at the end of the season, even though they had the option, and he had seven goals and 10 assists.)
    Horvath is definitely a good shout if he wants to return to North America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I wouldn't sign a DP GK but I would go for a TAM level one just based on how effective distribution could help our current BB system.

But for all these things I would wait to see if MLS rule mechanisms change this offseason as rumored.
    The confluence of factors.
    I have been reading on twitter that MLS may see an injection of up to 600M annually before WC2026; btwn media, apparel and et al deals.
    If so, cha-cha-ching change has to be a coming, no?

I also read and made mental note of a poster's interesting idea of a 'Team Legacy DP' as an augmentation to those spots.
    To address salary creep and/or merit of a footballer that has been with an organization for a 'noteworthy period' of time.
    This sort of designation would be applicable to Osorio and afford TFC an opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    I have been reading on twitter that MLS may see an injection of up to 600M annually before WC2026; btwn media, apparel and et al deals.

I also read and made mental note of a poster's interesting idea of a 'Team Legacy DP' as an augmentation to those spots.
    To address salary creep and/or merit of a footballer that has been with an organization for a 'noteworthy period' of time.
    This sort of designation would be applicable to Osorio and afford TFC an opportunity.

If I was MLS Leadership.

1.) All stadiums need grass by 2026. (some like Vancouver have to change anyway).
    2.) Start the league removing the DP/ TAM rule and just give a Salary Cap of 40-50 million per team by 2026.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post

The deal with Apple is worth 250 mil per year for ten years starting next year. Not sure where the rest would be coming from

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    The deal with Apple is worth 250 mil per year for ten years starting next year. Not sure where the rest would be coming from
    new adidas apparel deal + other new sponsorships

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    The apparel deal is over $300M apparently and there are still linear TV deals to go but they're not large.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just don't think he rates him as opposed to his nationality, his transfer policy so far this season at Forest has seen him sign 4 foreign players for big fees for Forest. The Zinckernagel transfer to me highlights the issue of someone owing 2 clubs albeit in different leagues. Evangelos Marinakis owns both Notts Forest and Olympiacos, Zinckernagel after his loan spell at Forest signs for Olympiacos. It wasn't a free transfer though, 2 mill euros which could rise re clauses in deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll buy that - definite pattern there and would explain some of the treatment of Richie. And that sort of English football chauvinist certainly still exists. I thought Zinckernagel was consistently one of Forest’s best and most ‘creative’ players (though the Championship has never been a league that especially valued that quality).

A Horvath loan would certainly fit the bill for us… not sure if he wants to come back, or if we could afford him if Forest wants, in the end, to sell.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 08-10-2022 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Just don't think he rates him as opposed to his nationality, his transfer policy so far this season at Forest has seen him sign 4 foreign players for big fees for Forest. The Zinckernagel transfer to me highlights the issue of someone owing 2 clubs albeit in different leagues. Evangelos Marinakis owns both Notts Forest and Olympiacos, Zinckernagel after his loan spell at Forest signs for Olympiacos. It wasn't a free transfer though, 2 mill euros which could rise re clauses in deal.
    A very low number of foreign players compared to the League average of over 60%. Brentford has more than 20 not English players on their roster… I think last season at one point they had something like 14 foreign players out for international duty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    A very low number of foreign players compared to the League average of over 60%. Brentford has more than 20 not English players on their roster… I think last season at one point they had something like 14 foreign players out for international duty.
    looks like they are addressing that,they've bought 9 players so far this preseason that they've actually paid for, (as opposed to loan/free transfers), 5 of them from overseas. Forest aren't flush with money, they've made good use of the loan system, 2 of their best players last season were loanees, who weren't be there this season, but they've picked up 1 new loan this season and 2 freebies. Can't argue with his process, he got them promoted playing good football. Now he's got to get them to the next stage hence you see his policy changing, a lot easier to get players to come to Nottingham in the pl as opposed to the championship

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    looks like they are addressing that,they've bought 9 players so far this preseason that they've actually paid for, (as opposed to loan/free transfers), 5 of them from overseas. Forest aren't flush with money, they've made good use of the loan system, 2 of their best players last season were loanees, who weren't be there this season, but they've picked up 1 new loan this season and 2 freebies. Can't argue with his process, he got them promoted playing good football. Now he's got to get them to the next stage hence you see his policy changing, a lot easier to get players to come to Nottingham in the pl as opposed to the championship
    Calling it a xenophobic approach was likely unfair on my part; he may well have decided he had a short time to turn around a flailing team and that communication would be a major issue with multiple languages, or players that came from different styles of play, or even just that local loaners were better options than the players they bought.

But they sure have sent a lot of players back overseas this year, and loaned out a few last year. I think there was probably a rationale, given how well they did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling it a xenophobic approach was likely unfair on my part; he may well have decided he had a short time to turn around a flailing team and that communication would be a major issue with multiple languages, or players that came from different styles of play, or even just that local loaners were better options than the players they bought.

But they sure have sent a lot of players back overseas this year, and loaned out a few last year. I think there was probably a rationale, given how well they did.
    Maybe so but the question isn’t whether Cooper did well with it or not - well oiled machine was a decent analogy for last season under him.

Don’t think it’s an official policy but it seems to be a basic orientation. It’ll be interesting to see how it all looks later in their season. (And given the transfer costs of English players, not being flush with money should mean more not less foreign signings.)
    Last edited by los sonadores; 08-11-2022 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree getting rid of him was a stupid move, but to play devils advocate. Would he have developed as well as he did if he stayed here as opposed to going to Seattle? We have had a horrendous record when it comes to developing and improving the quality of our keepers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update.
    Belotti saga continues to drag on...
    To AS Roma has yet to occur; be concluded.
    Maybe? Any moment now?
    Lots of moving parts apparently.
    No mentions of TFC.
    Suddenly, lots of social media chatter about Il Gallo to Galatasaray.
    Seems supporters of the Turkiye club have suddenly begun targeting his partner via social media with a campaign to join them.
    Seems they somehow believe or understand Belotti's wife may be a driver in any decision?
    Happy wife, happy life?

Social media campaign to engage Belotti's wife by supporters of Turkiye's Galatasaray?...

https://twitter.com/xkimmich_/status/1557405399887790080

Wife follows Turkish Designer?...

https://twitter.com/gunsonuhaber24/s...60009524535299

Belotti joining Galatasaray?...

https://twitter.com/fredrikmidtsjo/s...11905429934080
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-11-2022 at 02:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I agree getting rid of him was a stupid move, but to play devils advocate. Would he have developed as well as he did if he stayed here as opposed to going to Seattle? We have had a horrendous record when it comes to developing and improving the quality of our keepers
    Frei certainly wasn’t the Seattle Frei when he left and yes, may never have been had he stayed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Frei certainly wasn’t the Seattle Frei when he left and yes, may never have been had he stayed.
    That's probably true, we seem to have weakness in developing Keepers. However, he was our best ever Keeper at the time he left (we called him "Super Stefan Frei") and he certainly was above our two current Keepers.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's probably true, we seem to have weakness in developing Keepers. However, he was our best ever Keeper at the time he left (we called him "Super Stefan Frei") and he certainly was above our two current Keepers.
    Yeah but at the time he left his command of the box was extremely poor, as was his communication with the backline. Both early days Bono and Irwin played better than the TFC version of Frei.

I think he’s overrated to be honest and we elevate his stature based on one MLS cup finals save. There are a handful of other MLS keepers I would rate more highly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah but at the time he left his command of the box was extremely poor, as was his communication with the backline. Both early days Bono and Irwin played better than the TFC version of Frei.

I think he’s overrated to be honest and we elevate his stature based on one MLS cup finals save. There are a handful of other MLS keepers I would rate more highly.
    Maybe. Fair enough. But what a fooken save! Picture perfect. Iconic. A MLS Classic.
    Great ESPN article and video... @ circa 1:26... Wow! Bad luck for us, if only...
    I. Was. There. I was there! I still don't believe it.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/club/sea...ls-cup-rematch

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    new adidas apparel deal + other new sponsorships
    This was another $33.75mm / year ($270mm / 8 years)

Despite the moral implications of promoting gambling, it's going to be a great way to get more eyeballs on games the next few years as it takes off in the US & Canadian markets.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-a...er-next-genera
    https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/m...ith-img-arena/