Page 160 of 193 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170 ... LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For our mental health trying to figure out all these odd transactions, let's just pretend Richie was injured and he is now recovered.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Anyway, I imagine that’s also part of why there’s no buy option, as there’s interest elsewhere.
    Today there's some people like Singh saying there is a buy option for him so it jives with standard MLS loan agreements.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seeing as the loan expires in june 2023, you'd think forest will sell if they stay up, but could potentially use him in the championship the season after if they go down.

hence no outright buy option, but an agreement of sorts that would lead bob bradley to say "it starts out as a loan"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So from what we've heard TFC is done in this transfer window, but that said isn't it possible under MLS rules to sign players who are "out of work" or teamless at any point in the year? and if that is the case could it be possible TFC is still shopping? If that's the case, why not go for Dries or Belotti who have not officially signed anywhere and could be a bridge, especially Dries.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave343 View Post
    So from what we've heard TFC is done in this transfer window, but that said isn't it possible under MLS rules to sign players who are "out of work" or teamless at any point in the year? and if that is the case could it be possible TFC is still shopping? If that's the case, why not go for Dries or Belotti who have not officially signed anywhere and could be a bridge, especially Dries.
    It's possible but I think there won't be anything happening unless something golden falls in their laps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Laryea official: https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...-richie-laryea

Not sure why we had to give up to $175k GAM to Cincinnati too. They ended up using their spot for Miazga, I assumed that would happen first and then we move to the top with Dallas’ old spot. But it looks like us having the Laryea deal done earlier ended up costing us.

The allocation order continues to be ridiculous.
    Likely it’s because Dallas refused to trade us the spot, as they wanted Laryea badly, have been wooing him for awhile according to Tom Bogert on the MLS chat last night

So we had to get Cincy’s pick and agree to get Cincy Dallas’ pick for Miazga. Once Dallas had lost out, they had no reason to hold onto it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likely it’s because Dallas refused to trade us the spot, as they wanted Laryea badly, have been wooing him for awhile according to Tom Bogert on the MLS chat last night

So we had to get Cincy’s pick and agree to get Cincy Dallas’ pick for Miazga. Once Dallas had lost out, they had no reason to hold onto it.
    Yup, ridiculous. Allocation order needs to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As good as our first team is going to look, LA just signed another good player, a Ligue 1 striker with 9 goals and 6 assists last season.

MLS starting to get a little more serious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benteke to DC as well. That's a bit surprising.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it looks like we're not the only team using Transfermarkt:

https://twitter.com/FelipeCar/status...w6ibNZtAZrW3tA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bernie says we have made Serie A players take notice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Bernie says we have made Serie A players take notice.

This is a weird position to be in. For us, the best outcome is that they both tear up MLS. For MLS it's better if they do well but not enough to look obviously a class above.

Either way, there's a lot of eyes from Italy on us now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During their last pre-season game against Notts County, Richie looked angry with Steve Cooper when he was taken off. Now I think we know why: Hull City tried to loan him, which would’ve given him a chance to stay in England… and Forest turned it down.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot...it/ar-AA10lpJO

They sort of fucked him over there.

Anyway, I imagine that’s also part of why there’s no buy option, as there’s interest elsewhere.
    Good find. I was trying to conceive of what Layrea was doing here. Forest’s poor treatment of him is to our benefit.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 08-05-2022 at 01:08 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As good as our first team is going to look, LA just signed another good player, a Ligue 1 striker with 9 goals and 6 assists last season.

MLS starting to get a little more serious.
    by next season, TFC and LAFC will be pretty far ahead of the rest of MLS.

if that's not MLS cup at least once in the next 2-3 years i'd be shocked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    by next season, TFC and LAFC will be pretty far ahead of the rest of MLS.

if that's not MLS cup at least once in the next 2-3 years i'd be shocked
    It does seem the inevitable expansion of budgets and spending will also lead to have and have-not teams, just like the rest of football.

teams like Philly and Dallas will concentrate on maximizing transfer values while TFC and the
    LA teams drop the bucks to try and win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does seem the inevitable expansion of budgets and spending will also lead to have and have-not teams, just like the rest of football.
    Realistically it was always this way despite the claims of parity. Parity exists in winning MLS Cup but that's no different than something like the FA Cup where not long ago you had Villa & Wigan in the final plus it's a shorter competition in MLS. Anybody can do a cup run but could anyone ever realistically see the Whitecaps or San Jose winning the Supporter's Shield in more recent times?

I think we'll see some teams just become perennial non-playoff teams though with the exception of the ones that develop youth. They'll cycle in and out like such teams do in other major sports.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leagues Cup next year is going to be huge.

A month long cup competition playing LigaMx teams mid season.

That is what LAFC & us are building towards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Just gotta say - what an awesome transfer window it's been!

6 new players, 3 Italian internationals and 3 Canadian internationals.

Not a fully finished product yet, but wow, our team is a heck of a lot better.

Now, let's go win some games!
    100% agree! Just loved this transfer window and was really surprised with Richie coming back, we really needed a good RB. I hope so much that we can make the playoffs! If this team really learns quickly how to play with these new players, we could definitely make a good playoff run.

And starting with this squad next year (I hope Osorio stays!), we can definitely make a better season from the start.

I am optimistic that we will go back to the glory days!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah… but he didn’t say we didn’t give them time, he said we’ve managed our youth-to-first-team pipeline badly.

<snip>

Similarly, while Jayden’s potential is massive (ball skills, speed, attacking confidence) his game is riddled with shortcomings that pretty much guaranteed he could not always be counted on in the first team. And yet where were the other youth being given a shot? Why did we give Themi Antonoglu a temporary deal this year and then not give him a shot?

In short, why with all this youth playing time are only two (three if you count Petrasso, who is a few years of strength development from becoming a starter) youths playing:?

The only answer is that those three have so much natural talent they’ll definitely be an asset at some point, as opposed to a gamble. But even then, based on prior results, I have to look at how they play versus other 19 year olds who are already in starting lineups, and question who is making that decision, as none of the three can read the game at MLS speed yet, and most of the time PEtrasso is the only one who looks close.

They all have obvious technique, and both Jayden and Kosi in particular are obviously talented athletically. But their read of the game is non-existent even compared to some armchair managers. That’s really, really not a good sign. In fact, I’d say it’s a worst hindrance to development than speed or strength being lacking. Those can somewhat develop. But making smart decisions quickly? I’m not sure how much he can coach that.

I dunno… maybe I”m wrong and we’ll get something great for that 225K while Shaff’s forever a backup, but it seems pretty clear after dozens and dozens of kids have gone through the system that the fault is at least partly in talent recognition and development, or so many of them wouldn’t still be playing somewhere else.

<snip>

Certainly, we’ve had a fair amount of that. I think Priso has huge potential but always seemed to display more confidence and attitude than his play had earned, as if he knew just how hot shit he was. Now after starting his first two games for Colorado but being pulled at halftime in both, I notice he did not start the third or play a minute against New York. Smells like someone sending him a message.
    I agree with almost everything you wrote in this post a few days ago. But in addition, I do believe there has been a widespread problem with many Canadian youth players that went straight to TFC as their first pro team. Might also be an issue at Vancouver and Montreal but I'm not sure about that...

Basically, many of these Cdn players grew up being medium-sized fish in the tiny pond of Canadian "elite" youth soccer. We have seen SO many that had some apparent mix of talent and/or potential and/or athleticism, but just didn't seem to feel the need to do the dirty work; to work their a$$es off and fight for a spot on TFC; to do the simple stuff first; or to bulk up or whatever is needed to improve their chances. Another explanation for at least some: maybe it's them thinking that they need to act cool, professional, not desperate at all times. And for some it may also be a lack of stamina.

I'll always remember Cheyrou (temp captain while MB was absent) absolutely tearing a strip off Jordan Hamilton who was obviously supposed to high press, but was doing the old slow jog "hey look at me I'm pretending like I'm trying." I happened to have seats close to the field that day, right near where this happened.

It drives me absolutely NUTS when veterans, often overplayed on desperate TFC teams and at risk of injury or exhaustion, work harder than some of the Cdn kids. Add to the fact that these Cdn players often got subbed in late, and can't even try hard for 15-20 minutes.

I can think of at least 10 past Cdn players on TFC who seemed to fit that mold. And a few current ones that act similar. TFC hasn't really found a way to change that attitude. Many of those players either get nailed to the bench (or not even on the game-day roster). Or they get traded/dropped. Or sometimes it seems like they can do no wrong and keep getting played regardless -- like Jayden Nelson.

None of those are good options to develop players, or to figure out if they really have the potential. I realize that many of those players weren't destined to be great anyway. But TFC hasn't known how to make that distinction, or at least to re-adjust their attitude. Maybe they'll get better under BB?

In addition to poor talent identification and lack of development, maybe that's one reason why some of those guys seem to do better on other teams after they leave TFC -- or if they never even end up at TFC in the first place. It might just be the wake-up call they need, to realize how hard they need to try to make it in footy. Plus if they land outside of Canada, nobody is going to give a rat's ass that they used to be hot-shot Cdn youth players, and there's no marketing benefit to hyping them up. Like Ryan Edwards. Or for Oso, I think the wakeup call was getting benched by the former CMNT coach, and also not getting as much playing time on TFC.

Jayden Nelson is a bit different. He's still here. But he screws up game in & game out. Pisses off the DPs and others. Too often acts like he's playing in a Cdn youth futsal league, instead of getting the basics right first. But keeps getting more playing time. A big part of the reason I complain about Jayden is that I think he has obvious talent. I WANT him to do well. But he's given way too much leeway for someone of his status. If he screws up twice and deliberately, he should get pulled, and not play the next game either. Give some other kids a chance. Then try Jayden again, see if he can think more about the team than himself. (That works for players like Jayden, who seem to have too much self confidence. If somebody is less confident, that might not be the best route, as they may become too scared to do anything creative. Then a different approach is needed.)

NOTE not all Cdn players are like that! I don't want to stereotype them all, but it's been pretty frequent. A number of guys like Shaffelburg gave 100% from the start.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 08-05-2022 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Totally and I’m 100% in on this. I can’t wait for Apple TV to take over streaming too so we can stop with the garbage that is TSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Got a feeling the Leagues Cup is gonna quickly pass the CCL in terms of prestige and interest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a feeling the Leagues Cup is gonna quickly pass the CCL in terms of prestige and interest.
    It's starting to look this way. The main players are putting a lot into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne fined by the league today for "inappropriate behavior" after the New England game. Wonder what that's about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitecaps might be waiving Cristian Gutierrez. I'd pick him up for some LB depth to give Criscito some rest when needed if he is waived. Has earned CMNT call-ups recently. Since he last played on a Canadian team there isn't an issue with his ITC and the window being closed. Unless he's just getting a full season loam to Next Pro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd certainly take Gutierrez despite the attitude and fitness questions. Wouldn't mind seeing him at LWB and Criscito at LCB, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That should be logical to happen, even if not for anything else, but only for because all the teams involved will have a net value/worldwide appeal a lot higher than the average for all the teams involved in the CONCACAF Champs Cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne fined by the league today for "inappropriate behavior" after the New England game. Wonder what that's about?
    All I can remember is when the whistle blew at the end of the game he happened to have the ball and thumped it towards the one end zone.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Realistically it was always this way despite the claims of parity. Parity exists in winning MLS Cup but that's no different than something like the FA Cup where not long ago you had Villa & Wigan in the final plus it's a shorter competition in MLS. Anybody can do a cup run but could anyone ever realistically see the Whitecaps or San Jose winning the Supporter's Shield in more recent times?

I think we'll see some teams just become perennial non-playoff teams though with the exception of the ones that develop youth. They'll cycle in and out like such teams do in other major sports.
    It was "always this way" since TFC started in 2007 as the DP rule was already in place and teams were allowed by then to do "discovery" signings.

For a bit of league history, it wasn't that way when (1) all teams had the same budget (2) all players came through the SuperDraft (which was at first 2 separate drafts depending on type of player), even foreign ones (except for ones assigned to teams by the first MLS Commissioner Doug Logan - as literally happened in the early years).

DC United's dominance in the early years was not due to spending, rather it was savvy drafting of players available in the draft from South America and the creation of a unique team style of play (something unusual in the early budget league years when most MLS teams played the same way).

Now, of course, a big market team like TFC has a lot of leeway to build a more expensive roster through DPs and discretionary spending, as we've been seeing through the window - but there's still a measure of parity. Personally I like having more parity than in Europe. It's no fun when the big 4 teams win all the time.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-06-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true. I wasn't really thinking of before 2007 since that was the start of the rule changes & growth.

I don't mind parity but not at the expense of growth for the ambitious. Besides I think as long as there's this type of playoff for the MLS Cup the best teams won't be guaranteed to win it all the time. The Shield probably will be shared amongst a few teams only but the cup could still be anyone. The lack of teams doing the double is proof enough for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RB is now set with Richie back, so glad to have him back...but man, we need desperately still need CBs, and a keeper. And a CM that can run and also win headers one v one. Bradley simply cannot or will not defend headers on set pieces.

I was a fan of Jesus even as he's been goaless for a while now but after watching him try and take the penalty and petulantly react when Fede took it, want him gone. That was amateur hour at its finest and not knowing his place on the team. Problem is Ako is even worse. If we get a goal scoring center forward, with Insigne and Fede drawing all kinds of double/triple teams and putting in balls on a silver platter, we will be so dangerous up front.

Richie at RB is just what we ordered. Dare I say immediately is one (if not the) best RB in the league.