Page 131 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 5785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Well, it would have to be their lineups for friendlies against teams actually in the World Cup wouldn't it?
    There's always the Nation's League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
    Oso bigger than Matthews? The first 60 goal scorer in a decade....bigger than that?....LOL. I might be laughing well into the night on this one.

Oso is the current heart and sole of TFC and should be kept....
    Oso starts three matches in the WC and scores the winner to put Canada through to the knockouts against Morocco... He'd be bigger than Matthews for a few months at least. Cult status.

If he does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urW4zvYE5Fs or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J59FKC1Tmeo in the WC. He's going to be making bank in January or a dream move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t want to shit on Oso, but really what better options is he really going to get outside of a max Tam deal? Maybe Mexico with a top 5 team but won’t be a game in game out starter. In SA I don’t think he would consistently start for a team the would be in contention for the Copa Libratodores. Europe maybe a bench guy on team fighting relegation in the top 5 leagues or maybe a starter on a middle of the pack team in some mid tier league. If he was 3 years younger maybe Europe was a realistic but I think that ship has sailed

his best option IMO is a max team deal for 3 years, be the captain and ride out your time here and solidify himself as the best tfc player ever (not skilled wise, just a hometown kid, one titles and played his whole career here.) a role model for kids to look up to and aspire to be
    Last edited by TheGoodson; 07-21-2022 at 03:39 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Oso starts three matches in the WC and scores the winner to put Canada through to the knockouts against Morocco... He'd be bigger than Matthews for a few months at least. Cult status.

If he does this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urW4zvYE5Fs or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J59FKC1Tmeo in the WC. He's going to be making bank in January or a dream move.
    scouts and clubs dont make signings based on tournament performances anymore so no, this won't be happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't it feel like a waste to open a DP spot and not use it this season? Is there no old guy who'd be willing to sign a six-month feeler deal? The money to burn seems to be there.

I'd take a Dani Alves or Sirigu to improve the team and add a little more intrigue for the rest of the season. Insigne's old buddies Mertens and Callejon are available. Martin Caceres has been signing short-term deals for what feels like forever and he's miles ahead of any CB we have.

Come on Manning, click "next page" a few more times. Or sort by age.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Doesn't it feel like a waste to open a DP spot and not use it this season? Is there no old guy who'd be willing to sign a six-month feeler deal? The money to burn seems to be there.

I'd take a Dani Alves or Sirigu to improve the team and add a little more intrigue for the rest of the season. Insigne's old buddies Mertens and Callejon are available. Martin Caceres has been signing short-term deals for what feels like forever and he's miles ahead of any CB we have.

Come on Manning, click "next page" a few more times. Or sort by age.
    You'd need to do 18 months to get even some antique like Alves.

Also the window is still open for a couple weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    scouts and clubs dont make signings based on tournament performances anymore so no, this won't be happening.
    I'm sorry this is not true, respectfully.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry this is not true, respectfully.
    Literally is.

Teams have way more data on basically every player now, in olden days they might not know who a player is until a tournament.

A few performances might add to the data pool, but with European club allergies to players 30+ there's no chance oso gonna get a big move on back of few good games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Literally is.

Teams have way more data on basically every player now, in olden days they might not know who a player is until a tournament.

A few performances might add to the data pool, but with European club allergies to players 30+ there's no chance oso gonna get a big move on back of few good games.
    I might venture, because I don’t know for sure, but if the football business is anything like the business I work in: data can exist but it might a) not be predictive, b) generally be of shit quality, or c) not complete enough to make a decision based on data alone.

Bill Manning running TFC and BB being the coach tells me analytics hasn’t totally conquered the sports world as yet. Otherwise, be ready for everyone over age x to bite the bullet

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    I don’t want to shit on Oso, but really what better options is he really going to get outside of a max Tam deal? Maybe Mexico with a top 5 team but won’t be a game in game out starter. In SA I don’t think he would consistently start for a team the would be in contention for the Copa Libratodores. Europe maybe a bench guy on team fighting relegation in the top 5 leagues or maybe a starter on a middle of the pack team in some mid tier league. If he was 3 years younger maybe Europe was a realistic but I think that ship has sailed

his best option IMO is a max team deal for 3 years, be the captain and ride out your time here and solidify himself as the best tfc player ever (not skilled wise, just a hometown kid, one titles and played his whole career here.) a role model for kids to look up to and aspire to be
    This sums it all up “that ship has sailed” for Oso, Max Tam deal at best ,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, if 'Making Bank' is the benchmark, then IMHO those examples don't; they are very good, of quality.
    But... Oso would have to pull off something like a Step Over Rabona Goal similar to this guy...

https://youtu.be/gU9GND6SoDM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way Herdman plays with his lineups I doubt Oso starts 3 games at the WC. Has Kaye ever expressed interest in going to Europe?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Sorry, if 'Making Bank' is the benchmark, then IMHO those examples don't; they are very good, of quality.
    But... Oso would have to pull off something like a Step Over Rabona Goal similar to this guy...

https://youtu.be/gU9GND6SoDM
    The guy who scored that goal although was sheer brilliance would never be accepted here because the boys on the site say he has a bad attitude and Coach Bradley does not like these types of players because it’s not good for the team culture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riddle Me This...

If it was between Oso at 29YRS at a MAXTAM for 2YRS (1+1)
    Or The Priest at 36YRS at the same.
    Who would you take?
    For reals now?
    Osorio or Modric?
    Would it give you any pause?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not that black and white. I’m a bit out of touch with the goings on across the pond these days, but the one that sticks out to me is Andrey Arshavin…that was a clear tournament signing by Arsenal based on the Euros that year. More recently in MLS, to portu’s point, you have the Crew and Eloy Room from Gold Cup ‘17 - I think they even admitted as much.

To your point though, I believe it’s more the exception than the rule these days due to reasons that have already been mentioned in this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riddle Me This...

Who would you take?
    For reals now?
    Osorio or Modric?
    No. Luka Modric is one of the best midfielders of this generation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    It’s not that black and white. I’m a bit out of touch with the goings on across the pond these days, but the one that sticks out to me is Andrey Arshavin…that was a clear tournament signing by Arsenal based on the Euros that year. More recently in MLS, to portu’s point, you have the Crew and Eloy Room from Gold Cup ‘17 - I think they even admitted as much.

To your point though, I believe it’s more the exception than the rule these days due to reasons that have already been mentioned in this thread.
    Yes, that was 2008 for arahavin so a while back.

And maybe some MLS level clubs might, but they don't have the ability to offer oso more than us really so not too relevant in this

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riddle Me This...

Who would you take?
    For reals now?
    Osorio or Modric?
    You might get conflicting answers to this question, didn’t a few guys here prefer Hoilett over Berna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know Ronaldo and Bernardeschi were such good friends... Maybe he could... nah, I'm dreaming.

https://www.fanpage.it/sport/calcio/...tiano-ronaldo/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    You might get conflicting answers to this question, didn’t a few guys here prefer Hoilett over Berna
    Fede ≠ Modric

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, I even considered it.
    Not player v player of course.
    Yet, from the standpoint of what to do with the limited resources / player restrictions, and how to allocate them, that TFC have.
    The capology system MLS has is limiting. How to build the best-winning team within that paradigm is the question.
    It is what we all arm-chair debate and criticize.
    IMO there is a strong, in fact, a very profound case that is being made by others that these moves are of want.
    That they will mean nothing-championships if 'La Difesa' is not properly addressed.
    A drum I will try to beat along with them until a more promising vision is shared with us by < EDIT > BB(MB) and BM.
    Now lets hope they give us D-Metal forged in the spirit of B-A-R-E-S-I; Franchino!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-21-2022 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Correction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I didn't know Ronaldo and Bernardeschi were such good friends... Maybe he could... nah, I'm dreaming.

Why not, call that friend up. Nooooow!
    JJ? Do you think he would mind being their < LI-CR7-FB > kitman?
    I mean back-up! Of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

I think it's worth remembering that Ronaldo has faced rape allegations and slapped a phone out of a child's hand because he was upset that Man U lost. We've just cleared out the "bad apples" from the team, so not sure if we want to add another one to the team (even if it's an incredibly talented apple).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice shot you took there…

but again you missed that argument by a mile. But you do you

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd love to hear the supporting argument for how a player with eight career goals in Serie A tops a Canadian with 57
    career goals, including four seasons in the Prem.

(I'm not being facetious, Junior just seems to have been a far more offensively effective player. He's shown he's still fit and effective with Reading, who want him back, and playing for Canada.

Hoilett is probably still a 10-goal threat in MLS. Bernarsdeschi?

Like I said, I don't really know him as a player so maybe the stats are super misleading but Serie A is not miles above the Championship in quality.
    Sounds to me that this chap preferred Hoilett over Berna , no mention of Tam over DP, so yea be prepared for any clueless takes Mr Inbetween

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    nice shot you took there…

but again you missed that argument by a mile. But you do you
    any inside track info to impart to us @thegoodson?

thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds to me that this chap preferred Hoilett over Berna , no mention of Tam over DP, so yea be prepared for any clueless takes Mr Inbetween
    It was in the context of taking Hoilett as a 32-year-old TAM player and you know it. That was the context of the conversation.

Even then, I've already admitted that looking at his national team time and Fiorentina that Bernadeschi looks like a baller. It's rather small and childish to gloat a week after someone has admitted they were wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting to wonder if we even employ scouts or just scan the Italian and Canadian NT lists.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It was in the context of taking Hoilett as a 32-year-old TAM player and you know it. That was the context of the conversation.

Even then, I've already admitted that looking at his national team time and Fiorentina that Bernadeschi looks like a baller. It's rather small and childish to gloat a week after someone has admitted they were wrong.
    Actually I’m quite sure you believed Hoilett was a better choice then Berna , you mention all the great Junior Premier league stats and tell us that Berna only has 8 SerieA goals, You truly thought Hoilett is a better player then Berna straight up there is no mistake in the context of the discussion. Admit you were wrong and we can be friends amigo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I’m quite sure you believed Hoilett was a better choice then Berna , you mention all the great Junior Premier league stats and tell us that Berna only has 8 SerieA goals, You truly thought Hoilett is a better player then Berna straight up there is no mistake in the context of the discussion. Admit you were wrong and we can be friends amigo.
    No, that's just wrong.

He's 32. If he was in his early to mid 20s you might have had an argument.

I referred to his premier stats repeatedly as a comparison. Those were from 2013! So the context was right there, you just misunderstood it.