Page 121 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,630 of 5785
  1. #3601
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know it is only a press conference, but I have a good feeling about this guy.

  2. #3602
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He played wingback for Juve last year. Dude can tackle.
    Between Bernardeschi’s tackles and Insigne’s willingness to track back, our wingers just got a lot more defensive.

  3. #3603
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,926
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I’d agree that Shaff is better than Nelson and Petrasso as a winger, however he is also 22 and has basically zero defensive utility in a team that is about to play with Insigne at left wing for the next 4-5 years.

    He’s prime tradebait. The same way Ayo is because the next DP is likely a forward.

    I was surprised Shaff wasn’t included in the MAK deal if I’m honest. He’s clearly not been in the plans for ages and BB rates Nelson’s upside higher.
    I get the argument. I also think we need a player behind Insigne
    who offers something, as I don't expect us to get 34 games a year
    out of Insigne.

    We've had him for four seasons, coming out of prep school. Perhaps he can be coached to turn inside. Just don't think we've gotten his full value yet and I like the guy. He's a genuine fighter, more than most on our team.

  4. #3604
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like Shaff but his game has limitations.

    One of the reasonswhy he finds himself behind Petrasso in the fullback pecking order is he struggles to pass progressively from the defensive third and gets uncomfortable when pressed (usually ends up just hoofing it down field). Defensive positioning was never really on point either.

    While Petrasso is still a work in progress, he does both these things better, which is the reason why the team has stuck with him. Dead ball deliveries are also pretty good.

    Shaff looks great when attacking the final third. But as a team that looks like it’s going to play pretty narrow and has just picked up a DP in his primary position, thought to see where the opportunities would be.

  5. #3605
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    @MichaelSingh94
    · 8m
    Toronto FC President Bill Manning tells media that it may be the winter window as opposed to the summer window that TFC makes their third DP acquisition: “We’re in no rush in terms of making additional DP acquisitions. If we’re going to do that, it needs to be the right [fit]”

    thats fine let see if you can find some tam type starter at least a cb and rb

  6. #3606
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    @MichaelSingh94
    · 8m
    Toronto FC President Bill Manning tells media that it may be the winter window as opposed to the summer window that TFC makes their third DP acquisition: “We’re in no rush in terms of making additional DP acquisitions. If we’re going to do that, it needs to be the right [fit]”

    thats fine let see if you can find some tam type starter at least a cb and rb
    I like this. No need to rush.
    However, I still think it’s a failure on management that you know you have these two amazing wingers coming in , and yet you field one of the worst defences in the league. Not one rumour. And from the the press conference it seems they are riding this season out with what we have in the back right now.

  7. #3607
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    @MichaelSingh94
    · 8m
    Toronto FC President Bill Manning tells media that it may be the winter window as opposed to the summer window that TFC makes their third DP acquisition: “We’re in no rush in terms of making additional DP acquisitions. If we’re going to do that, it needs to be the right [fit]”

    thats fine let see if you can find some tam type starter at least a cb and rb
    Yup - agreed there is no need to rush the next DP signing. First, figure out how all the current pieces fit together.

    Bradley, Osorio, Bono, and Mavinga are out of contracts at the end of the season. This will likely take another window.

  8. #3608
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    TFC are seemingly very active in the trade market. I think they have noticed how Montreal have built their squad and are seeing the value in bringing in established MLS players to compliment their core.

  9. #3609
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,926
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    I like this. No need to rush.
    However, I still think it’s a failure on management that you know you have these two amazing wingers coming in , and yet you field one of the worst defences in the league. Not one rumour. And from the the press conference it seems they are riding this season out with what we have in the back right now.
    To me, the biggest issue here is that Manning doesn’t address other roles. We don’t only need just one more DP. We need better players in multiple positions. We need some depth that is ready to play and compete — not guys on their way out like Mullins; guys who are just below the top tier but have potential, and aren’t kids.

    Another DP CB won’t address our fullback issue. It won’t give us a proper holding midfielder, or a keeper who doesn’t zoom in bipolar fashion between being a wall and being a bombscare.

    This league is full of guys trying to break out of “journeyman” status and teams like Seattle and Colorado have run pretty tight ships tactically by having a better second corps group.

    If nothing else is addressed in this window, we have to at least concede that the team president has written off this season. Yeah, with 15 games left we weren’t making the playoffs, mostly likely, but it would at least demonstrate some serious intent.

    We have four (five?) unfilled roster spots. We haven’t taken advantage of the size of squad we can have.

    We’re multiple points behind expansion Charlotte, a team largely built on journeymen. Surely we can achieve some middle ground in our acquisitions and take on guys who just strengthen us, even if they don’t start every week or make $2M-plus.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-18-2022 at 05:38 PM.

  10. #3610
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    You mean TFC wouldn't win MLS Cup with Shaff and Ashtone Morgan dominating the left side?
    Don’t forget Kosi. He’s our new Ashtone Morgan

  11. #3611
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    To me, the biggest issue here is that Manning doesn’t address other roles. We don’t only need just one more DP. We need better players in multiple positions. We need some depth that is ready to play and compete — not guys on their way out like Mullins; guys who are just below the top tier but have potential, and aren’t kids.

    Another DP CB won’t address our fullback issue. It won’t give us a proper holding midfielder, or a keeper who doesn’t zoom in bipolar fashion between being a wall and being a bombscare.

    This league is full of guys trying to break out of “journeyman” status and teams like Seattle and Colorado have run pretty tight ships tactically by having a better second corps group.

    If nothing else is addressed in this window, we have to at least concede that the team president has written off this season. Yeah, with 15 games left we weren’t making the playoffs, mostly likely, but it would at least demonstrate some serious intent.

    We have four (five?) unfilled roster spots. We haven’t taken advantage of the size of squad we can have.

    We’re multiple points behind expansion Charlotte, a team largely built on journeymen. Surely we can achieve some middle ground in our acquisitions and take on guys who just strengthen us, even if they don’t start every week or make $2M-plus.
    Even if it’s one new CB I’ll be happy.
    I can deal with Kosi for the rest of the season

  12. #3612
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    TFC are seemingly very active in the trade market. I think they have noticed how Montreal have built their squad and are seeing the value in bringing in established MLS players to compliment their core.
    Sorry. I don't get this comment. Montreal have 2 excellent MLS fullbacks (Johnston and Millar) who they picked up from Nashville and Orlando. The best right back in the league, Julian Gressel, has just gone from DC to the Whitecaps. And where are our signings of the Betashours and Morrows (from San Jose) and Moor (from Colorado) that were key to us winning MLS Cup??
    I just discussed with Manning at the press conference and he pleaded salary cap and said we wouldn't get defensive recruits until Christmas. I was impressed he came to speak to us and thanked him very much. But, on reflection, what the hell was he doing in December/January/February? I have a horrible feeling that he's incompetent. I could buy Insigne and Bernadeschi with the budget he has, but I sure as hell am not smart enough to work around the salary cap etc to build a really strong MLS defence. Worryingly, he doesn't seem to be either...

  13. #3613
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    To me, the biggest issue here is that Manning doesn’t address other roles. We don’t only need just one more DP. We need better players in multiple positions. We need some depth that is ready to play and compete — not guys on their way out like Mullins; guys who are just below the top tier but have potential, and aren’t kids.

    Another DP CB won’t address our fullback issue. It won’t give us a proper holding midfielder, or a keeper who doesn’t zoom in bipolar fashion between being a wall and being a bombscare.

    This league is full of guys trying to break out of “journeyman” status and teams like Seattle and Colorado have run pretty tight ships tactically by having a better second corps group.

    If nothing else is addressed in this window, we have to at least concede that the team president has written off this season. Yeah, with 15 games left we weren’t making the playoffs, mostly likely, but it would at least demonstrate some serious intent.

    We have four (five?) unfilled roster spots. We haven’t taken advantage of the size of squad we can have.

    We’re multiple points behind expansion Charlotte, a team largely built on journeymen. Surely we can achieve some middle ground in our acquisitions and take on guys who just strengthen us, even if they don’t start every week or make $2M-plus.
    Very well said.

  14. #3614
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    Sorry. I don't get this comment. Montreal have 2 excellent MLS fullbacks (Johnston and Millar) who they picked up from Nashville and Orlando. The best right back in the league, Julian Gressel, has just gone from DC to the Whitecaps. And where are our signings of the Betashours and Morrows (from San Jose) and Moor (from Colorado) that were key to us winning MLS Cup??
    I just discussed with Manning at the press conference and he pleaded salary cap and said we wouldn't get defensive recruits until Christmas. I was impressed he came to speak to us and thanked him very much. But, on reflection, what the hell was he doing in December/January/February? I have a horrible feeling that he's incompetent. I could buy Insigne and Bernadeschi with the budget he has, but I sure as hell am not smart enough to work around the salary cap etc to build a really strong MLS defence. Worryingly, he doesn't seem to be either...
    So he said 100% we will not see a defensive recruitment this off season?

  15. #3615
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    So he said 100% we will not see a defensive recruitment this off season?
    I believe he said 'It's unlikely we'll be able to do anything until the next transfer window'.
    But the Akinola for Blackmon rumour sounds encouraging, if it's real.

  16. #3616
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    Sorry. I don't get this comment. Montreal have 2 excellent MLS fullbacks (Johnston and Millar) who they picked up from Nashville and Orlando. The best right back in the league, Julian Gressel, has just gone from DC to the Whitecaps. And where are our signings of the Betashours and Morrows (from San Jose) and Moor (from Colorado) that were key to us winning MLS Cup??
    I just discussed with Manning at the press conference and he pleaded salary cap and said we wouldn't get defensive recruits until Christmas. I was impressed he came to speak to us and thanked him very much. But, on reflection, what the hell was he doing in December/January/February? I have a horrible feeling that he's incompetent. I could buy Insigne and Bernadeschi with the budget he has, but I sure as hell am not smart enough to work around the salary cap etc to build a really strong MLS defence. Worryingly, he doesn't seem to be either...
    Michael Singh
    @MichaelSingh94
    ·
    1h
    Bill Manning says that Toronto FC are looking to potentially make another acquisition that’s going to help defensively. The team has some salary cap space to play with

    so why is manning say this to singh and something else to the fans at the presser

  17. #3617
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Michael Singh
    @MichaelSingh94
    ·
    1h
    Bill Manning says that Toronto FC are looking to potentially make another acquisition that’s going to help defensively. The team has some salary cap space to play with

    so why is manning say this to singh and something else to the fans at the presser
    I'll judge him on what he does and not what he says. I was just some random supporter that didn't get back from Montreal until almost midnight last night because of Air Canada.
    I'd love to be wrong and discover that he and BB know what they're doing. But the Wednesday evening game at Chicago will take a while to digest..

  18. #3618
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I will say that we shouldn't be surprised at one or two more, but the bulk of the work will be done at the winter window.

    So let's just win Tuesday and then enjoy the rest of the season.

  19. #3619
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I will say that we shouldn't be surprised at one or two more, but the bulk of the work will be done at the winter window.

    So let's just win Tuesday and then enjoy the rest of the season.
    A week on Tuesday, you mean. BTW, do you think the club might organize something in a bar, or is it up to me, as my wife is away, to work out how to get One Soccer on my TV for the boys???

  20. #3620
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    A week on Tuesday, you mean. BTW, do you think the club might organize something in a bar, or is it up to me, as my wife is away, to work out how to get One Soccer on my TV for the boys???
    Yep

    Also, damn that's a good question I should have thought to ask that.

  21. #3621
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Michael Singh
    @MichaelSingh94
    ·
    1h
    Bill Manning says that Toronto FC are looking to potentially make another acquisition that’s going to help defensively. The team has some salary cap space to play with

    so why is manning say this to singh and something else to the fans at the presser
    I’d trust the thing he says to fans in private more than the things he’s relaying to the press. He wants to create buzz, so he’ll never tell a reporter what he told an individual privately if it isn’t a hype statement.

  22. #3622
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    676
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I’d trust the thing he says to fans in private more than the things he’s relaying to the press. He wants to create buzz, so he’ll never tell a reporter what he told an individual privately if it isn’t a hype statement.
    The position that the team's mostly looking to be opportunistic rather than aggressive would be the correct one for the rest of the window, if you catch me.

  23. #3623
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    19,771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That defence won't hold.

    Might beat Vancouver, with Oso, Bernie & Insigne.

    But that defence is going to get real tired real quickly without some reinforcements.

  24. #3624
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Singh and Sharman say it's unlikely we get a DP before the winter. Should be adding to defence in the near term, however it's likely to be a non-TAM/DP contract. This makes me think it might be some sort of trade.


  25. #3625
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    4,228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A Darren O'Dea/ Steven Caldwell/Amad Kantari/Damien Perquis type euro free agent will get signed and will be bought out by Feb at which point a bucket load of GAM will be traded for an MLS stalwart CB

  26. #3626
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How can we have cap issues when half our roster is guys on their first contract

  27. #3627
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    How can we have cap issues when half our roster is guys on their first contract
    We don't have cap issues this year. We have a ton of room still.

  28. #3628
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this club likes to make big money signings and thats great,but they have no clue how to fill a roster with 500k to 1 mil players ,they overpay their own like mavinga,bono ,delgado bradley,when was the last time they found a cheap gem?

  29. #3629
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    this club likes to make big money signings and thats great,but they have no clue how to fill a roster with 500k to 1 mil players ,they overpay their own like mavinga,bono ,delgado bradley,when was the last time they found a cheap gem?
    They haven’t been great at it in the past, but Jesus has been a good pick up.

  30. #3630
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,363
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    this club likes to make big money signings and thats great,but they have no clue how to fill a roster with 500k to 1 mil players ,they overpay their own like mavinga,bono ,delgado bradley,when was the last time they found a cheap gem?
    Lukas MacNaughton (2022), Richie Laryea (2019), Westberg (2019).

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •