Page 137 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 5785
  1. #4081
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    19,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do not underestimate the "Keeping my enemies close" aspect of all this.

    &

    Good relationships with the city.

    For pro sports in this town, right now, there are only 2 owners - Rogers & Bell - why introduce a 3rd party?

    &

    Being buds with the city on BMO is occasionally useful for other projects (yes, its easier when the mayor is still on Rogers payroll for 100K a year but...)

  2. #4082
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #4083
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    As we've maybe seen lately with the fiasco surrounding control of Rogers lately, Ed Rogers is basically 100% in charge of Rogers. With Ed Rogers + Tanenbaum they likely have sufficient control to dictate things at the board level. Does anyone know if Ed likes soccer enough to want MLSE to continue spending millions on TFC? Feel like you could come up with a million and one theories on how the MLSE board is working these days.
    Soccer fan or not, he did just approve a massive investment in new players. Insigne and Bernardeschi were not cheap.

    Clearly Manning has done a good job getting the board of directors into this strategy. Now, we have to win trophies, sell merch, sell tickets, and break some records.

  4. #4084
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    What do people think of this? 18 month DP contract after which that contract goes to whomever will start in place of Bradley? Bernardeschi looks like he’ll start every match possible but Insigne and Mertens could play together and also spell each other when needed and with JJ in that mix.

    Given how well Osorio is likely to play with the new Italians and Micheal, and how much Bob Bradley will need to rely on that, not to mention the worth of Osorio to the dignity of the club, Bradley would be crazy not to resign him with as large a contract as is possible (without making him a DP).

  5. #4085
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Enjoy these next 5 years.

    When Tanenbaum is gone along with MLS fully streaming on Apple or American corps Boggers might well pull the plug.
    the apple deal will take MLS to the next level, the current investment is about trying to be at the forefront of this.

    if anything, it'll be ramped up a notch.

  6. #4086
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    1,142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Latest...

    Luca Momblano.
    Italian Football Journalist.
    With viable Juventus connects... Belotti


  7. #4087
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    the apple deal will take MLS to the next level, the current investment is about trying to be at the forefront of this.

    if anything, it'll be ramped up a notch.
    Respectfully, is it?

    Couple of old,blue-chip public companies that are primarily owned by stockholders for their dividends … spicy new thing is not their gambit. Especially if it’s hurting one of their primary rev streams.

    Feels a bit like dinosaurs investing in asteroids.

  8. #4088
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    What do people think of this? 18 month DP contract after which that contract goes to whomever will start in place of Bradley? Bernardeschi looks like he’ll start every match possible but Insigne and Mertens could play together and also spell each other when needed and with JJ in that mix.

    Given how well Osorio is likely to play with the new Italians and Micheal, and how much Bob Bradley will need to rely on that, not to mention the worth of Osorio to the dignity of the club, Bradley would be crazy not to resign him with as large a contract as is possible (without making him a DP).
    Would be OK with this if his regression line didn't look so poor - honestly, Mertens is the kind of player MLS 2.0 would have loved to hop on and MLS 3.0 would have taken a flyer on. I'd like to believe we're past this as a league.

    As a TAM player, however...

  9. #4089
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Everyone has been scared MLSE would stop investing in the team now since Tim L left and they still keep dumping cash into the team. Stop worrying about their investment until they give us a reason to worry. Not two weeks after giving Bernardeschi over 5 million a year.

  10. #4090
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Would be OK with this if his regression line didn't look so poor - honestly, Mertens is the kind of player MLS 2.0 would have loved to hop on and MLS 3.0 would have taken a flyer on. I'd like to believe we're past this as a league.

    As a TAM player, however...
    13 goals in 37 matches for Napoli, all competitions 2021/22.

  11. #4091
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    13 goals in 37 matches for Napoli, all competitions 2021/22.
    npxG+xA at 41st percentile and the lowest in 5 years that he's had - he's probably still a great player. Just not a gamble I want to make given the direction of the team.

  12. #4092
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    1,142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Respectfully, is it?

    Couple of old,blue-chip public companies that are primarily owned by stockholders for their dividends … spicy new thing is not their gambit. Especially if it’s hurting one of their primary rev streams.

    Feels a bit like dinosaurs investing in asteroids.
    Nope,
    The challenge to remain relevant and not get Kodak'd always remains.
    IMHO, MLSE is just a means to an end.
    It's a channel on how to assert dominance in a sector.
    It's about corporate omnipresence.
    At a table with your 'competition'; whomever or whatever it is or will be; however it evolves.
    Neither corporation are going anywhere in the foreseeable future.
    There is still an argument to be made about content; it's ownership and control.
    The power that it still yields. A presence and voice at such tables; the layer-cake.
    Being 'inside' even if on the 'outs'; corridors of knowledge or influence.
    The NFL is a com'in, no one is giving up being part of any MLSE forefront on that golden goose.
    MLSE for either entity is less than a rounding error; it's the pennies on the floor;
    IIUC, BCE @ 0.01% of 18.75B Annual Revenue, Rogers @ 0.005% of 12.5B Annual Revenue.
    Buried in the abyss of tax loopholes, write-offs, and a labyrinth of deals; the ensuing invoicing exchanges and off-sets of counter services.
    They are not 'losing' money.
    It's a showcase with immeasurable or intangible benefits.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-25-2022 at 06:56 PM.

  13. #4093
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    https://twitter.com/klausgerman_

    Luis Suarez CLOSER THAN EVER to the #MLS ⏰📝🇺🇸⚽️

    And before you ask, No, it’s not Inter Miami.

    #Suarez #MLS

  14. #4094
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    https://twitter.com/klausgerman_

    Luis Suarez CLOSER THAN EVER to the #MLS ⏰📝🇺🇸⚽️

    And before you ask, No, it’s not Inter Miami.

    #Suarez #MLS
    Twellman said it's LAFC

  15. #4095
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am not totally letting go of the Eustaquio thing. He needs minutes, which I am not sure he will get at Porto.

    A brief loan spell is required…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  16. #4096
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am not totally letting go of the Eustaquio thing. He needs minutes, which I am not sure he will get at Porto.

    A brief loan spell is required…
    Not a chance.

    They moved out 2 major pieces of the midfield this offseason, not only will there will be minutes there for him, but I think the 60M Euro release clause is proof enough that he's a key piece of both the near and long term there.

  17. #4097
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am not totally letting go of the Eustaquio thing. He needs minutes, which I am not sure he will get at Porto.

    A brief loan spell is required…
    In their most recent friendly against Monaco he had the start and played 58 mins. Couldn't find box scores for their other friendlies. As Smokecell mentioned, given they moved some midfield pieces, plus the schedule congestion in the first half of the season due to the World Cup timing, I think there's plenty of minutes to go around for Eustaquio.

    Who knows though - you were banging the Kaye drum early and now he's in the squad.

  18. #4098
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am not totally letting go of the Eustaquio thing. He needs minutes, which I am not sure he will get at Porto.

    A brief loan spell is required…
    Ship has sailed on that one. Give it until the summer - if he’s struggling for minutes a loan is probably in the cards.

  19. #4099
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    1,142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Twellman said it's LAFC
    He!He!He!,
    Priceless...
    Suarez 'chomping to play' with Chiellini?


  20. #4100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Finally got around to looking at the free agents list and wow there are some solid players this off-season.

    Aaron Long, Callens, Hollingshead, Salloi, Remedi.

    I can see why you might hold off signing a long-term piece to the backline. But also all the solid free agent defenders this winter will be 30+ and if you turn the entire backline into a potential retirement home, then you’re setting yourself up for the same rebuilding issues as before.

  21. #4101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    1,142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Belotti,
    Pure speculation...
    If there is any deadline to a leading TFC offer/decision?
    Does this make some sense?

    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-26-2022 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Gammar

  22. #4102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    16,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Ship has sailed on that one. Give it until the summer - if he’s struggling for minutes a loan is probably in the cards.
    This probably is how it would be most likely to go down.

    A club like that, every year there is a new Brazilian hotshot signing, the battle for minutes is brutal.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  23. #4103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This probably is how it would be most likely to go down.

    A club like that, every year there is a new Brazilian hotshot signing, the battle for minutes is brutal.
    To be honest, I don’t much get the desire to sign for big 3 clubs. Players are constantly under threat more so than usual by top tier academy talent, young signings and experienced players. And even when they manage to break through and start consistently, it’s not really a guaranteed payday.

    If I’m 24-29, I need minutes and I need money. Both are not givens at the big 3.

    I haven’t looked empirically, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it be a net negative move for a lot of players.

  24. #4104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    1,142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Finally got around to looking at the free agents list and wow there are some solid players this off-season.

    Aaron Long, Callens, Hollingshead, Salloi, Remedi.

    I can see why you might hold off signing a long-term piece to the backline. But also all the solid free agent defenders this winter will be 30+ and if you turn the entire backline into a potential retirement home, then you’re setting yourself up for the same rebuilding issues as before.
    If it's a 'win now', the next three years, then immediate moves for Long and Hollingshead are fine, reasonable, doable?
    We should still have the option to be able to reinforce moving forward; even if the strategy is to bring in a DP at CB if required.

  25. #4105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Belotti,
    Pure speculation...
    If there is any deadline to a leading TFC offer/decision?
    Does this make some sense?

    The current buzz on Twitter seems to be that Belotti wants to play in the Champions League… all the more reason for TFC to win tonight!

  26. #4106
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Twellman said it's LAFC
    They apparently ARE shopping Arango, which seems insane. Is his contract almost up? Are they renting Suarez to cover losing him in six months?

  27. #4107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    The current buzz on Twitter seems to be that Belotti wants to play in the Champions League… all the more reason for TFC to win tonight!
    At this rate I'll take him at Madrid, we're toothless without Benz. And maybe send Mariano TFC's way

  28. #4108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I’m getting Borre vibes from Belotti at this point. If you’re going to kick every tire in town before you’re willing to put pen to paper, better we look elsewhere

  29. #4109
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Belotti,
    Pure speculation...
    If there is any deadline to a leading TFC offer/decision?
    Does this make some sense?


    Read the quote… offered to sign, does not mean there is interest. West Ham is off the table, with their signing yesterday (medical pending). The Borre analogy appears to be a good one, although he did do well in UEFA Chanpionship for Frankfurt.

  30. #4110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Finally got around to looking at the free agents list and wow there are some solid players this off-season.

    Aaron Long, Callens, Hollingshead, Salloi, Remedi.

    I can see why you might hold off signing a long-term piece to the backline. But also all the solid free agent defenders this winter will be 30+ and if you turn the entire backline into a potential retirement home, then you’re setting yourself up for the same rebuilding issues as before.
    Aaron Long and Callens are exactly the kind of experienced MLS defenders we need.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •