Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo looks like he'll be worth every penny.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to clarify my comments on JMR last night. He is young - and objectively he was exposed at times but i do think he will learn.

Additionally, where he will play IMHO will be where his suitors will want him to play. For example, if Liverpool rumors are true and they want him to be a RB or RWB, there is no logic in us playing him somewhere else, especially for the numbers people are talking. Doesn’t mean we are capitulating and in some ways we may be better if his potential is real, make sure we put someone solid beside him and the downside will be minimal, even when he is doing the overlap.

Best scenario, he keeps getting better… he gets sold and loaned back for the remainder of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand why we are playing him at fullback (to get experience) but from a European club’s point of view, calling him a fullback seems lazy and the wrong call (in my uneducated opinion)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I can understand why we are playing him at fullback (to get experience) but from a European club’s point of view, calling him a fullback seems lazy and the wrong call (in my uneducated opinion)
    Unless, they see something that others don’t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my even more uneducated opinion as well. Or at least: a few weeks training with arsenal and liverpool shouldn’t a career positional assessment make. Maybe Bob feels he plays there or nowhere often this season with this roster that’s strongest in midfield and about to add starting forwards.

I didn’t see Mavinga’s half but with both of these kids in new positions it makes sense to play the two centre halves who are the most solid, vocal and capable of making as many compensations on the pitch as possible. That may not be Mavinga. His speed is his asset there but he may not have the focus and mindset to often also be playing that directly for someone else.

Although he was part of a quite different roster, Beitashour was always quietly and effectively cleaning up the others mistakes at the back. Something that made him of great value.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 02-27-2022 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Salcedo looks like he'll be worth every penny.
    Yes, does he ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the bright side, JMR looked a lot better than Nelson at 17 and playing out of position as well. But what a difference a couple of years can make for a teenager. Nelson was a real surprise to me even in the 15 mins I saw of him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jayden Nelson. The difference that a proper coaching can make.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is perverse especially because Mavinga originally signed here to escape playing fullback but with BB that might be where he should be playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Jayden Nelson. The difference that a proper coaching can make.
    Not sure about that. Vanney was a proper coach. Nelson is bigger and more confident than he was a couple of seasons ago. That, to some degree is his age.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelson being a forward could have learned from Vanney.

BUT, I doubt JMR would have grown with Vanney into even the WB he is today - Vanney can't seem to properly set up defences - I think he relies upon innate capability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    In my even more uneducated opinion as well. Or at least: a few weeks training with arsenal and liverpool shouldn’t a career positional assessment make. Maybe Bob feels he plays there or nowhere often this season with this roster that’s strongest in midfield and about to add starting forwards.
    Well, yes, exactly. I see why TFC is playing him there cause this is how he gets time. But there were rumblings after his training stints euro clubs saw him as a fullback long term. I just don’t see how that could be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nelson being a forward could have learned from Vanney.

BUT, I doubt JMR would have grown with Vanney into even the WB he is today - Vanney can't seem to properly set up defences - I think he relies upon innate capability.
    Let’s call it what it is. Vanney is a lot of things, a lot of good things but a developer of youth talent he is not.

At the first sign of trouble he was looking at Mullins, DeLeon et al. Anything he was telling these kids in practice really doesn’t mean too much in the face of only providing very limited opportunities to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed the first half thanks to TSN direct not allowing me to sign in at all and costing me $9. From what I saw in the second half though is defensively we looked much better than last year. I know the bar was set fairly low last year but I never had that panic feeling in the second half. Salcedo is a huge upgrade of Gonzalez. We seemed to have issue control the ball for an extended time. I am willing to chalk this up to a lack of cohesion and a slip and slide pitch. Overall I will take the point and move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was definitely a close call here, I just have no idea how VAR overturned this. Given how close it was I think whatever call was made on the field should have stood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Definitely hard to tell. Even harder when you consider the impact of the curvature of the lens. They cropped it out, but the line at the top of the 18 makes it look like he’s on. That said, if you look at the lines in the cut of the grass, he appears to be off.

How does anyone overturn a call on the field based on this… I will never know.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-28-2022 at 01:27 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Was definitely a close call here, I just have no idea how VAR overturned this. Given how close it was I think whatever call was made on the field should have stood.
    they really need to come out and make a statement on this, VARs in MLS are supposed to have a high threshold for "clear and obvious" errors, this was just wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, yes, exactly. I see why TFC is playing him there cause this is how he gets time. But there were rumblings after his training stints euro clubs saw him as a fullback long term. I just don’t see how that could be.
    Yes, that’s what I meant by “a few weeks training with arsenal and liverpool shouldn’t a career positional assessment make.” I’m hoping BB is in agreement, from his own point of view. Certainly, with the roster we have it’s pretty much JMR or bust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now he's made the TotW.

I actually find this a bit suspicious. Like even the league is trying to prop him up to increase his valuation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    they really need to come out and make a statement on this, VARs in MLS are supposed to have a high threshold for "clear and obvious" errors, this was just wrong.
    VAR is changing soon, its going to a centralized command centre for all games, so it will no longer be in the hand of the ref on the side of the pitch.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    VAR is changing soon, its going to a centralized command centre for all games, so it will no longer be in the hand of the ref on the side of the pitch.
    That might work better. As someone whose work once involved intense scrutiny of film footage, the sight of a ref looking at video in highly variable light conditions, with various time pressures, and in close proximity to the stands/fans always seemed absurd. A recipe for calls not more reliable than those made on the field in the midst of the actual play. For a ref, looking at actual play in real time and reviewing video on a screen are totally different ways of cognition. I think it’s naive to expect one person to be looking at both.

On the other hand, a centralized command in another county (presumably it will be in new york) deciding the match is also ridiculous. Sounds like Dr Strangelove.

I’d prefer investing in better paid refs and better training for them and leaving it at that radical innovation. Human error makes sport, well, more human. You can’t ever eliminate it but better if the match isn’t completely interrupted to make the errors. Maybe the league should decide the matches in central command and text us the results.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 02-28-2022 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

I am still annoyed by this call, there is just no way you can look at that replay and think it's definitive. If they had not called offside on the live play I'd have said the goal should stand, but they called it off and that is nowhere near clear enough to overturn the call.

Is there a mandate from PRO or the league to begin favoring the attackers on close calls or something? I better see us get the same benefit of the doubt when we've scored a borderline offside goal then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    And now he's made the TotW.

I actually find this a bit suspicious. Like even the league is trying to prop him up to increase his valuation.
    Is Fotmob also trying to increase his value as they had him as the highest rated player in the match.

https://www.fotmob.com/match/3787425...-vs-toronto-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Is Fotmob also trying to increase his value as they had him as the highest rated player in the match.

https://www.fotmob.com/match/3787425...-vs-toronto-fc
    Huh, that's pretty interesting. I mean, he had a bad start to the game, but then didn't seem to really stand out afterwards. I'm not saying he was horrible, but I'm surprised he would be rated that highly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never quite know what to expect with the first game of the season, but all things considered I thought we did quite well.

Salcedo quickly appears to be the rock at CB that we've needed, and O'Neil stepped up as well. JMR of course had an excellent performance, and Jimenez seems to offer more than Mullins and Dwyer did combined.

Important for all the new guys to the club to clmiatize themselves to the city over the course of this week as they prepare for our first home game, and I can't wait for Saturday to come!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Huh, that's pretty interesting. I mean, he had a bad start to the game, but then didn't seem to really stand out afterwards. I'm not saying he was horrible, but I'm surprised he would be rated that highly.
    Yeah, I do wonder about these sorts of things.

On the one hand, there was plenty of positive going forward. However, he gave the ball away in inopportune places frequently.

My guess is, the stats don’t have enough granularity to understand what is just a vanilla loss of possession vs. a really bad turnover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I do wonder about these sorts of things.

On the one hand, there was plenty of positive going forward. However, he gave the ball away in inopportune places frequently.

My guess is, the stats don’t have enough granularity to understand what is just a vanilla loss of possession vs. a really bad turnover.
    His stat line was exceptional. Four tackles, three interceptions, one clearance, 2 successful dribbles, one key pass, one SOG, 60 complete passes at 93% accuracy, two completed long balls.

His only downside was three lost balls.

I think we may have to adjust to the fact that the kid does some things fairly effortlessly, or appearing as such.