Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Richie Laryea appreciation thread

Thanks for the time you were with us. Hope that your time in England will be all that you want it to be.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatness awaits, hopefully. I hope they appreciate the skills and let him loose a little. Great competitor and fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Greatness awaits, hopefully. I hope they appreciate the skills and let him loose a little. Great competitor and fighter.
    I'm very curious to see how he does. My initial reaction was surprised that he settled at that level, but I don't know if I'm just biased.

But at the moment I have this dream that he's gonna come off the bench today and destroy Arsenal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he'll do well at that level. Similar to Belgium or Dutch leagues. Good luck to him. Great guy. Nottingham will be a bit of a culture shock though...!
    It's bad news for us though as we need some speed in the team, and he was one of the few players that had any.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richie, you were a truly loyal servant to this club. You have gotten your opportunity at an historic team in England. Seize it! We are with you.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats Richie! Now I'll have another team I need to watch.

So great that a Toronto kid could come back to Toronto and TFC to boost his career, which was going sideways in Orlando. And now he makes the jump across the pond! I hope Richie gets plenty of playing time and continues to improve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a while there he was unstoppable, he looked as good as Giovinco ever did, 1v1, when he went forward down the right.

He regressed a bit here last year, the move makes perfect sense to me, hope to see him getting minutes in the EPL next year!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck Ritchie and I wish you nothing but success! Very happy to see someone blossom before our eyes, develop into a national team starter and be rewarded with exciting European opportunities.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the best. Hope this makes both parties grow stronger and better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of luck to Richie, looking forward to seeing him back home at BMO for WC 2026 and hope he finds lots of success along the way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck to him in England! Great seeing this guy work hard and get rewarded for his talents. Hope he does well at Forrest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do admit to a little bit of diappointment for the reason that its not a higher level. NF is currently in Mid table in the Championship so it not even likely that that they will be in contention for promotion.

For while last year, during the MLS tournament, Laryea may have been our best player. Best of luck to Richie

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Free-kick View Post
    I do admit to a little bit of diappointment for the reason that its not a higher level. NF is currently in Mid table in the Championship so it not even likely that that they will be in contention for promotion.

For while last year, during the MLS tournament, Laryea may have been our best player. Best of luck to Richie
    they're 9th out of 24, and have been really good since their new manager came in.

also i reckon that if he does well in the next 6 months there will be premier league interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Luck Ritchie! It's been a joy watching you master the dark arts of CONCACAF. I looks forward to seeing you apply some of them in the Championship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    they're 9th out of 24, and have been really good since their new manager came in.

also i reckon that if he does well in the next 6 months there will be premier league interest.
    And only 6 points out of the playoff with a game in hand (although several teams to jump). That can be made up fairly easily and they're in good form.

I think it's a good move for the CMNT. For lack of a better way to put it, the "compete" level in the Championship is much higher than MLS, especially for teams within range of promotion. Huge money at stake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is not the kind of player that I usually like, but he was so effective at what he does, that I quickly wanted to see him used more then he was initially. If used correctly and allowed to do what he excels at, ( attacking wing back) he should be effective for Forrest, and will continues to be effective for our National team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    And only 6 points out of the playoff with a game in hand (although several teams to jump). That can be made up fairly easily and they're in good form.

I think it's a good move for the CMNT. For lack of a better way to put it, the "compete" level in the Championship is much higher than MLS, especially for teams within range of promotion. Huge money at stake.
    I’ll buy that (ie.: Regarding the compete level of the Championship versus MLS). But when it comes to top end talent, you will find more of that in MLS than in the Championship. The top end talent is what you will face at the WC and in WCQ. I am not sure that the style of play of the championship is conducive to what you will see at the WC for example. I was watching Notts F play Arsenal yesterday on SN, i saw lots of hard running, lots of 50-50 balls, less sustained possession…etc. Definitely, lots of “Compete”. This is commonly what i have often seen when i watch UK soccer other than the EPL. But thats not what you will see in WCQ and WC.
    Last edited by Free-kick; 01-10-2022 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll buy that (ie.: Regarding the compete level of the Championship versus MLS). But when it comes to top end talent, you will find more of that in MLS than in the Championship. The top end talent is what you will face at the WC and in WCQ. I am not sure that the style of play of the championship is conducive to what you will see at the WC for example. I was watching Notts F play Arsenal yesterday on SN, i saw lots of hard running, lots of 50-50 balls, less sustained possession…etc. definitely lots of “Compete”. This is commonly what i have often seen when i watch UK soccer other than the EPL. But thats not what you will see in WCQ and WC.
    the championship is for sure that, the step up in income for teams is massive, hence its a tough league to get out of. The cup game was competitive but cup football tends to be especially earlier rounds. It's a one game deal these days, no replays etc like the old days, so teams, especially the so called smaller teams play, like their lives depended on it.I thought both Forest wings backs looked good, I thought the Spence lad they have on loan was excellent. Colback the other wing back was good, had a few issues defensively as expected but did well enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll buy that (ie.: Regarding the compete level of the Championship versus MLS). But when it comes to top end talent, you will find more of that in MLS than in the Championship. The top end talent is what you will face at the WC and in WCQ. I am not sure that the style of play of the championship is conducive to what you will see at the WC for example. I was watching Notts F play Arsenal yesterday on SN, i saw lots of hard running, lots of 50-50 balls, less sustained possession…etc. Definitely, lots of “Compete”. This is commonly what i have often seen when i watch UK soccer other than the EPL. But thats not what you will see in WCQ and WC.
    By compete level I mean individually but also as a team over the course of the full 46 game season. If you want to get one of those two guaranteed promotion spots you can't take a single game off, can't lose any points. In MLS you can float a bit because the stakes of the regular season are lower and virtually everyone makes the playoffs.

I think it will do him good to be in that kind of pressure cooker. Also is how World Cup qualifying is structured so will be good for CNMT.
    Last edited by Canary10; 01-10-2022 at 12:03 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I have DAZN so I thought great I will watch Richie each week since they have Championship coverage which I have never really even looked at. I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling that they show all Championship games looking at their website. That sucks.....I guess I need to bitch to their customer service now which will likely result in absolutely no change in that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So I have DAZN so I thought great I will watch Richie each week since they have Championship coverage which I have never really even looked at. I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling that they show all Championship games looking at their website. That sucks.....I guess I need to bitch to their customer service now which will likely result in absolutely no change in that.
    Yeah they only show a couple games a week. It's pretty disappointing. Hopefully they'll carry a few more of Forest's games now that Richie's there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that the Championship will be great for Richie, and that it's good for CMNT that he go.

It's not that MLS is a lower level, although I think that is true, slightly. (Of course the top 10 players in MLS are much better than the top 10 in the Championship, but the bottom 100 of both would be quite a bit worse in MLS. How many Dom Dwyers are there over there?)

It’s more that MLS is just a bit weird. The half empty (or totally empty stadiums), the travel, which cuts into practice time… the intensity is not the same.

You see it in guys like Eustaquio and Vitoria. They are just a bit more battle tested.

I think Oso should go too, if he can go somewhere decent where he will get playing time.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-10-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Yeah they only show a couple games a week. It's pretty disappointing. Hopefully they'll carry a few more of Forest's games now that Richie's there.
    DAZN only offering chat service to talk to them now. I asked why they advertise coverage of that league when they don't have complete coverage. She told me they show Nottingham Forest games. I told her they are playing this month but nothing listed. She replies if it is not on the schedule then it is not available. I told her you just told me you show Nottingham games. She said my positive experience is very important to them and she will register my feedback to improve their offerings. Haha...ok. Like I thought. Nothing I will say will change but at least I voiced my opinion I guess.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Holy crap, same for me with DAZN. I was hoping to catch Nottingham games now to make better use of my subscription. I just assumed they have all Championship games hidden away somewhere on their site. Thanks for the heads-up. Hey if we call complain about this, maybe they'll react!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAZN only offering chat service to talk to them now. I asked why they advertise coverage of that league when they don't have complete coverage. She told me they show Nottingham Forest games. I told her they are playing this month but nothing listed. She replies if it is not on the schedule then it is not available. I told her you just told me you show Nottingham games. She said my positive experience is very important to them and she will register my feedback to improve their offerings. Haha...ok. Like I thought. Nothing I will say will change but at least I voiced my opinion I guess.
    Ugh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. NF is currently in Mid table in the Championship so it not even likely that that they will be in contention for promotion.
    Nottingham Forest's current record is 9 wins, 9 losses, 7 draws.

Their first 7 games they had a record of 0 wins, 6 losses, 1 draw. The they fired their coach. Since then they have a record of 9 wins, 3 losses, 6 draws. Massive improvement. Under the new coach, they're earing 1.8333 points per match (if they had been at that pace all season, they'd be on 46 points, which is what the second place tram currently has, so they're producing at a high level right now) If they keep up the pace, they should make the promotion playoffs at least, so they'll have a shot at promotion.
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-10-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story. And along with Osorio the local lad who made the club especially worth watching. It was great to see him realize his early potential while working with Vanney. Such fight. I wish him all the best!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Holy crap, same for me with DAZN. I was hoping to catch Nottingham games now to make better use of my subscription. I just assumed they have all Championship games hidden away somewhere on their site. Thanks for the heads-up. Hey if we call complain about this, maybe they'll react!
    Last Nottingham game they showed was December 30.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be able to catch Ritchie on Sunday. Looks like DAZN have picked up the game at 11am against Cardiff.
    The following Sunday they play Leicester in the 4th round FA cup 11am Feb 6. The 3rd round games were on sportsnet on tv so i'm guessing they will have these games too.

Edit- Duh..he'll be with Canada, so won't see him play this weekend