Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
Results 691 to 720 of 796
  1. #691
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    2,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Very, very interesting... if accurate!
    If so, has their ascend to be among the dominant leagues begun?

    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-15-2022 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Grammar

  2. #692
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Very, very interesting... if accurate!
    If so, has their ascend to be among the dominant leagues begun?

    No nothing really to get excited about as 20 of those players play for Canada or the States, heck 26 players are playing in the Qatari league, should we be excited about their first division?

  3. #693
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Very, very interesting... if accurate!
    If so, has their ascend to be among the dominant leagues begun?

    great stuff

  4. #694
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    No nothing really to get excited about as 20 of those players play for Canada or the States, heck 26 players are playing in the Qatari league, should we be excited about their first division?
    How many are in, say, the four semi-final teams, will be a better reflection of whether it means anything.

  5. #695
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So.... what's wrong with Easton Ongaro?

    He looked like a pretty talented young (and huge, he's 6'6) player at Edmonton. He went overseas, then came back and signed for VW2 in MLSNEXT Pro.

    He scored four goals in seven appearances for them, got a goal every 101 minutes, got called up to the Whitecaps, made one appearance....

    and now is leaving to join Pacific FC?

    Oh to be a fly on the wall. I thought at one point he might have a shot in MLS, be one of those fringe Canadians players worth taking a flyer on. We need a target man, which means we also need a backup, he's huge...

    Too much jump to the next level, I guess.

  6. #696
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    2,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    How many are in, say, the four semi-final teams, will be a better reflection of whether it means anything.



  7. #697
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    2,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So.... what's wrong with Easton Ongaro?

    He looked like a pretty talented young (and huge, he's 6'6) player at Edmonton. He went overseas, then came back and signed for VW2 in MLSNEXT Pro.

    He scored four goals in seven appearances for them, got a goal every 101 minutes, got called up to the Whitecaps, made one appearance....

    and now is leaving to join Pacific FC?

    Oh to be a fly on the wall. I thought at one point he might have a shot in MLS, be one of those fringe Canadians players worth taking a flyer on. We need a target man, which means we also need a backup, he's huge...

    Too much jump to the next level, I guess.
    Not aware.
    Interesting.
    Has a little overseas leagues experience.
    Perhaps some once bitten, twice shy, going on due to lingering Ben Spencer memories?
    I do not see why they couldn't give him a go with TFC II - Next Pro?

  8. #698
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Not aware.
    Interesting.
    Has a little overseas leagues experience.
    Perhaps some once bitten, twice shy, going on due to lingering Ben Spencer memories?
    I do not see why they couldn't give him a go with TFC II - Next Pro?
    Yeah, I suspect he's going to get max salary in CPL,which is about 75K now, well more than he'd get at NextPro. He may think he has a better shot overseas, or that he'll learn more at Pacific.

    Not sure it's wise given that a few CPL players have already done the nexpro thing with success.

  9. #699
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    https://www.angelsonparade.com/2022/...-again-in-2023

    Toronto FC to participate in 12-team preseason tournament, late Jan to early Feb.

  10. #700
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    https://www.angelsonparade.com/2022/...-again-in-2023

    Toronto FC to participate in 12-team preseason tournament, late Jan to early Feb.
    It will be open to the public too, so maybe we will get some better coverage of their preseason games. Doubt it will be aired on TV but it could be easier to find a stream somewhere online.

  11. #701
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    NYFC had their stadium deal approved for a location in Willets Point, Queens.

    Major victory, a stadium right in the city, with 2,500 affordable housing units attached.

    https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/1592932330557288449
    Last edited by jloome; 11-16-2022 at 04:15 PM.

  12. #702
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    NYFC had their stadium deal approved for a location in Willets Point, Queens.

    Major victory, a stadium right in the city, with 2,500 affordable housing units attached.

    https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/1592932330557288449
    Thank god. Watching away games against NYCFC almost feels like a chore.

  13. #703
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    New MLS season pass on Apple will be $79/99 US depending on whether you have apple tv plus

    From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
    Apple on Wednesday released the information that subscriptions to MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app will cost $14.99 per month during the season or $99 per season, and Apple TV-Plus subscribers can subscribe for $12.99 per month or $79 per season.

  14. #704
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    New MLS season pass on Apple will be $79/99 US depending on whether you have apple tv plus

    From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
    Apple on Wednesday released the information that subscriptions to MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app will cost $14.99 per month during the season or $99 per season, and Apple TV-Plus subscribers can subscribe for $12.99 per month or $79 per season.
    Comparing value, TSN Direct is $19.99 CAD a month.

    Stupid prices.

  15. #705
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    New MLS season pass on Apple will be $79/99 US depending on whether you have apple tv plus

    From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
    Apple on Wednesday released the information that subscriptions to MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app will cost $14.99 per month during the season or $99 per season, and Apple TV-Plus subscribers can subscribe for $12.99 per month or $79 per season.
    Way better pricing and the quality really canít get any worse than TSN

  16. #706
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Terrible pricing in my opinion. In the states you can get the The Disney Bundle which has ESPN+, Hulu and Disney Plus for $15 a month.

    It should be $8 max. Who the hell is going to pay that much for just MLS?

  17. #707
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    5,626
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Terrible pricing in my opinion. In the states you can get the The Disney Bundle which has ESPN+, Hulu and Disney Plus for $15 a month.

    It should be $8 max. Who the hell is going to pay that much for just MLS?
    But that must be the yearly price, right?

  18. #708
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    14,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But that must be the yearly price, right?
    Yeah, it's not bad. With Apple TV that's 9.80 a month, given MLS is an eight-month season.

    Even the by-the-month rate isn't bad for those of us who don't watch other sports.


    ST Louis released its first kit. I like it. It has a sort of English League One sort of feel to it.

    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/st-lo...primary-jersey

  19. #709
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    20,479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Terrible pricing in my opinion. In the states you can get the The Disney Bundle which has ESPN+, Hulu and Disney Plus for $15 a month.

    It should be $8 max. Who the hell is going to pay that much for just MLS?

    My understanding is you only get those 3 in the US if you have Verizon or some other package already. Separate from a cable package, they are all more.

    The target market for this is football watchers wanting something else. This is Apple's foothold into football worldwide - they are going to market the stink out of this.

    Now, given they are way behind in hiring talent - production values might be an issue. 2023 is going to not look great but they will iron out a lot of things for 2024.

  20. #710
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    2,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    ST Louis released its first kit. I like it. It has a sort of English League One sort of feel to it.

    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/st-lo...primary-jersey
    It does have that feel.
    Even with Apple tV Logo!

  21. #711
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    14,318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know we complain about TSN and rightfully so (the coverage is unimaginative, boring, with limited production value). But, if anyone has watched existing MLS coverage in a secondary market they will come away with a new found appreciation for TSN and (even better) what the league is trying to do here.

    Watching a team like RSL or NER on their local feed is like going on a time warp back to the 80ís. The worst of the lot have to suffer through some Bob McClown type commentator who hates soccer but was given the assignment. Itís bad.

  22. #712
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    2,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Congratulations to Andi Petrillo!
    A notable achievement.
    Well deserved.

    From a poster, who in the past, has questioned her insider links to the sport- it's broadcasters- as the crutch for her hubby's continued employment.



    Unfortunately, someone has now chosen to call out Onesoccer's bias; their panel's 'whiteness'.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-17-2022 at 11:30 AM.

  23. #713
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    2,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    FWIW...

    More detailed information on the topic of WC leagues representation...

    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-17-2022 at 11:49 AM.

  24. #714
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,811
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Terrible pricing in my opinion. In the states you can get the The Disney Bundle which has ESPN+, Hulu and Disney Plus for $15 a month.

    It should be $8 max. Who the hell is going to pay that much for just MLS?
    What is the pricing? I saw $20/month (Canadian) for non-Apple TV subscribers and $17.25 for subscribers. That's more than I pay for EPL on Fubo. If that's right, that's bad. Glad I'll get it for free as a SSH.

  25. #715
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    43% of games will be free to everyone including most the big games, more when you account for linear TV deals.

  26. #716
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,492
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    My understanding is you only get those 3 in the US if you have Verizon or some other package already. Separate from a cable package, they are all more.

    The target market for this is football watchers wanting something else. This is Apple's foothold into football worldwide - they are going to market the stink out of this.

    Now, given they are way behind in hiring talent - production values might be an issue. 2023 is going to not look great but they will iron out a lot of things for 2024.
    No existing packages needed. Verizon actually gives you the Ad tier for free depending on your existing plan.

    https://www.businessinsider.com/guid...ey-plus-bundle

    Verizon is currently covering the cost of the Disney bundle for subscribers with a Verizon unlimited 5G Play More or 5G Get More wireless plan. The free Disney Bundle includes Hulu's ad-supported plan. If you want to subscribe to the ad-free Disney bundle through Verizon, you'll get a monthly credit dropping the price from $20 to $6 plus tax where applicable. Check out our guide to getting the best value out of Disney Plus for more tips on cutting costs.
    Canadians get fleeced so bad here by Bell/Rogers and the CRTC. Did you know that the upcoming World Cup feed is not even 4K in Canada?

    Honestly it's cheaper to pay for a solid VPN and go all American.

    Disney Bundle plan Current price Price starting December 8
    Disney Plus (Ads) and Hulu (Ads) N/A $10/month
    Disney Plus (Ads), Hulu (Ads), and ESPN+ N/A $13/month
    Disney Plus (No Ads), Hulu (Ads), and ESPN+* $14/month $15/month
    Disney Plus (No Ads), Hulu (No Ads), and ESPN+ $20/month $20/month

  27. #717
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Kickass!
    Posts
    5,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    St. Louis City unveils its new dark home shirts (no shorts or socks shown, so it's not a real kit yet!)



    MLS Expansion Franchise St. Louis City SC Launches Inaugural Home Kits – SportsLogos.Net News
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

  28. #718
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^ notice the Apple TV Logo on the sleeve

  29. #719
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    FWIW...

    More detailed information on the topic of WC leagues representation...

    Saudi and Qatar league in at #6 and #7 rank just behind MLS, nothing to see here flawed numbers, Portuguese Dutch and even J league much better calibre then MLS

  30. #720
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    FOOTBALLISLIFE
    Posts
    2,377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Saudi and Qatar league in at #6 and #7 rank just behind MLS, nothing to see here flawed numbers, Portuguese Dutch and even J league much better calibre then MLS
    Sure.
    You are correct; of course a flawed metric.
    Some, sort of, correlation verses causation fun/nonsense.
    'It is the hope that kills'.
    Sorry, JPL or J1?
    Lots of 'rankings' on the net to support any argument.
    Here is one, random...

    https://soccerprime.com/best-soccer-leagues/
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-18-2022 at 08:45 AM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •