Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yeah, Siakam is always boosting TFC. It's nice to see.
    Siakam has hosted Nouhou when he visited Toronto, and wore the Cameroon flag on the floor after the Raps won the NBA Championship. He is going to find a way to show some love for the Indomitable Lions in Qatar, guaranteed.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    MLSE hooked up Insigne and Criscito with Raptors tickets today. From Insigne's wife's Instagram it seemed like their kids had a great time at the game. Criscito's kids also got to take photos with some of the players. Hopefully this can help settle them and their families in. Good to see that they're still in the city rather than going back to Italy (even if they are contractually obligated to stay and practice).

EDIT: Berna was also at the game and Siakam apparently had a Berna jersey on (or at least with him) during post game interviews.
    And here I am waiting after the first game I saw him to get a red jersey.

So annoying why they only printed in the ugly Grey's lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    And here I am waiting after the first game I saw him to get a red jersey.

So annoying why they only printed in the ugly Grey's lol
    Well, we're getting a new red primary kit next year, so I guess that's why they didn't bother to make any more come mid- this past season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Well, we're getting a new red primary kit next year, so I guess that's why they didn't bother to make any more come mid- this past season.
    Plus they always pump the most recently released jersey. Next year it will be red everywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After looking at the list of MLS salaries and seeing the number of top-10 spending teams who were mediocre this year, I can’t help but think there are a lot of dysfunctional management teams who have stuck around MLS for too long and have outlived their use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP Masato Kudo.

Very scary... young.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/form...sato-kudo-dead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a not so credible report of the possibility of Nancy to Houston.
    If it even has a kernel of truth... wow... someone has called out 'abandon ship' at CFM.
    Once again, maybe caused by that guy who has recently been dignified as a Mr.?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 10-25-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    There is a not so credible report of the possibility of Nancy to Houston.
    If it even has a kernel of truth... wow... someone has called out 'abandon ship' at CFM.
    Once again, maybe caused by that guy who has recently been dignified as a Mr.?
    Well it does look they're going to lose the whole core after this good season because Joey is a cheapo so I could see him bail too. Houston has no plan or any sense really but they spend more than Joey and Nancy proven he can get results from a less than perfect squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Nancy bailing for Houston is interesting. That really stinks of “not getting the resources / support I want or bad atmosphere behind the scenes” because neither club is exactly a heavy hitter.

Also, name being floated for his replacement if he leaves is hipsters choice Smyrniotis.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nancy credibly linked to Columbus.

Losing your coach and 5 best players after a good season is genuinely the worst possible way to conclude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Nancy credibly linked to Columbus.

Losing your coach and 5 best players after a good season is genuinely the worst possible way to conclude.
    All these rumours makes me question how good Sir Joey Saputo really is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Ha! lol!
    Even caught that one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    All these rumours makes me question how good Sir Joey Saputo really is.
    it's ok he'll get everyone's mind off losing all their best players and coach with another rebrand!

CF Impact here we go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    it's ok he'll get everyone's mind off losing all their best players and coach with another rebrand!

CF Impact here we go!
    Given how his family financed their cheese business, I'm surprised he doesn't just make Nancy an offer he can't refuse.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Given how his family financed their cheese business, I'm surprised he doesn't just make Nancy an offer he can't refuse.
    Hahaha. That was his late grandfather Lino that all the rumours were about. No allegations whatsoever about the current generation in charge. It's important to keep that in mind.

Joey is the rich guy's son who has money to spend. Club foot Montreal are his plaything. Good side, he's not running it for the money. Bad side, no manager is ever truly "in charge" because Joey has this habit of interfering.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still think Bologna is the senior team in that set up.

As for Nancy, I get the feeling he is successful because he has been part of that setup for so long. I'd suggest he go to a Tier II team in France or Belgium instead of a lateral move to a US based team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nancy is probably the biggest coaching "prospect" in MLS currently. You would think a Ligue 2 or even a lower table team in Ligue 1 would give him a look.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another year, another floated change to the playoff structure

https://theathletic.com/3730955/2022...ormat-sources/

This time - 8 teams each conference in. 2 groups of 4 per conference - group matches. Top 2 in each group go through to the conference semi.

Plan would be to have at least 1 game each night for 2 weeks straight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

This time - 8 teams each conference in. 2 groups of 4 per conference - group matches. Top 2 in each group go through to the conference semi.

Sounds dumb. This current one is fine. Either keep it or go back to the two-legged ties.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of like a lot of it - these one and done games are unfair.

It mimics the Liga MX liguilla.

I don't like that the reward for finishing first in the regular season is virtually nothing.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Hahaha. That was his late grandfather Lino that all the rumours were about. No allegations whatsoever about the current generation in charge. It's important to keep that in mind.

Joey is the rich guy's son who has money to spend. Club foot Montreal are his plaything. Good side, he's not running it for the money. Bad side, no manager is ever truly "in charge" because Joey has this habit of interfering.
    Nope. Lino is his father. So, a little more direct, as he's the one who built the company into what it is.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...t-it-1.5428629

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can dress it up all they want but 16 teams in the playoffs is too many. That’s the first thing that needs to be addressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    They can dress it up all they want but 16 teams in the playoffs is too many. That’s the first thing that needs to be addressed.
    My preference is a traditional league champion ala Europe.

But in the likely event that Americans refuse to ever give up one-off knock-out playoffs, I'd like to see eight teams, and the winner has to play the Supporters' Shield winner in a one-off for the title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as they get away from the one game knockout playoffs I’m happy . Teams should have a home playoff game . Moreover, anything can happen in a one game knockout playoff , the better teams usually win in a two legged series or even this new format they are proposing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. Lino is his father. So, a little more direct, as he's the one who built the company into what it is.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...t-it-1.5428629
    Actually that's correct, he is Joey's father, even if he is a grandfather to the following generation. Good catch.

The important thing is that his kids have zero known links to organized crime, and the allegations about Lino are about decades ago, not his life currently. As a journalist I'm sure you're aware that things like that need to be made clear for legal reasons if nothing else.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-26-2022 at 10:25 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Actually that's correct, he is Joey's father, even if he is a grandfather to the following generation. Good catch.

The important thing is that his kids have zero known links to organized crime, and the allegations about Lino are about decades ago, not his life currently. As a journalist I'm sure you're aware that things like that need to be made clear for legal reasons if nothing else.
    Absolutely. I'm sure people can draw their own conclusions from the historical fact that his father had a decades' long financial and personal relationship with Joe (Joey Bananas) Bonanno, the undisputed head of the North American Mafia , and that the still-current board member of a related company had the same relationship.

I'm sure, one generation later, they're completely divorced of relationships and associations that date back decades, to the old country. Completely, even though it's the same company, with many of the same officers.

Doubtless.

(I mean, let's be honest, they've been publicly traded for decades and don't need that kind of business anymore. But it would also be naïve to say that similar relationships were easily shed over the course of one generation, and it would be naïve to think that both parties in such a relationship would not hold substantial damaging information about the other. People remain people, after all, and friends remain friends for more than just mutual admiration.)
    Last edited by jloome; 10-26-2022 at 10:45 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely. I'm sure people can draw their own conclusions from the historical fact that his father had a decades' long financial and personal relationship with Joe (Joey Bananas) Bonanno, the undisputed head of the North American Mafia , and that the still-current board member of a related company had the same relationship.

I'm sure, one generation later, they're completely divorced of relationships and associations that date back decades, to the old country. Completely, even though it's the same company, with many of the same officers.

Doubtless.

(I mean, let's be honest, they've been publicly traded for decades and don't need that kind of business anymore. But it would also be naïve to say that similar relationships were easily shed over the course of one generation, and it would be naïve to think that both parties in such a relationship would not hold substantial damaging information about the other. People remain people, after all, and friends remain friends for more than just mutual admiration.)
    I knew you'd understand. And yes, people can draw whatever conclusions they want on their own.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doubtless.

Seems the pen is mightier than the sword

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and that the still-current board member of a related company had the same relationship...
    There is always a middle man; the convenient cut-out.
    Even a brother-in-law in some instances.
    If that is who is being referenced... then he went to his grave with any secrets in SEPT21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

The current MLS play-off format is unkind to the supporter.
    The one and done nature is also unfair to the footballers.
    Clubs should have a home playoff game.
    I prefer they return to the two-legged ties.
    The MTL one is legend and I was there!
    I believe this proposed change may be overreaching.
    In particular with 16 teams. 8 teams does seem more manageable. Still difficult.
    A balance or compromise between traditional/European and contemporary/N-American sporting senses is also welcomed.
    I am fine with a Supporters Shield Winner verses Play-Off Winner for the Championship Title format.
    So long as the SSW is able to still participate in the Play-Off.
    The challenge I envision with this initiative is season condensation
    The league is already dealing with the Leagues Cup.
    Mix that with each nations Championship. Then add Concacaf CL.
    Rotation will be critical.
    Roster construction will be paramount.
    It may even need increasing; another DP making U22 an easier by-product to engage.
    Homegrowns/Academies and Next Pro will be more-so vital.