Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I think seated capacity is around 30k plus whatever is in the standing section. In 2017 we averaged 27,647, which is probably our max for this season
    Ok maybe I am thinking of back when we had a north stand or maybe that was the MLS Cup config.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney having a little bit of a tough time with LAG…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlotte beats Chelsea on penalties after salvaging a late 1-1 draw with a handball PK.

Arsenal beat Orlando 3-1 in their friendly. Orlando hung in for the first half pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/toron...er-of-the-week

MB wins his first-ever POW honours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Keep it up Michael ... force their hand. Eye on the prize. We know they see you in every US city in MLS. They know who you are. You have it in you and as a TFC fan I'd love to see you force your way onto that USA flight to Qatar
    Last edited by buddies; 07-26-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parity is one thing but….

This weekend featured four 0-0 draws, two 4-4 draws, a 2-2 draw and a 1-1 draw.

only four of thirteen games were resolved with a win, and of those, two were by one goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annnnd...
    Sunderland U21, a pro youth setup, gets hammered by a pickup team from the University of Moncton.
    https://www.iheartradio.ca/virginrad...ton-1.18318497

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all relative...
    I know for a welcome reception to TFC for Insigne it was at Cafe Diplomatico and for Bernardeschi at Posticino.
    Of course Messi filled PSG's Parc des Princes.
    Dybala's welcome to Roma was an in-between spectacle and something wonderful too!

https://youtu.be/i2c5s7isDJU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    It's all relative...
    I know for a welcome reception to TFC for Insigne it was at Cafe Diplomatico and for Bernardeschi at Posticino.
    Of course Messi filled PSG's Parc des Princes.
    Dybala's welcome to Roma was an in-between spectacle and something wonderful too!

https://youtu.be/i2c5s7isDJU
    I may be going against the grain here but I thought the Dybala introduction was beyond ridiculous. They are worshiping him like he is some sort of god. He is not even Messi in his prime.

I would be embarrassed to be among that crowd, actually quite uncomfortable, it just football, not some war hero parade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I may be going against the grain here but I thought the Dybala introduction was beyond ridiculous. They are worshiping him like he is some sort of god. He is not even Messi in his prime.

I would be embarrassed to be among that crowd, actually quite uncomfortable, it just football, not some war hero parade.
    A more than fair perspective.
    What is not to like about it's Caeser-esque-ness? What, 'Are you not entertained?'.
    It's Italy, it's Roma, it's football, it's fanatics.
    Italy Italians can be a little over the top.
    Watch... House of Gucci.
    It's always a fine line between Class and Gauche!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC isn't the only club to use Transfermarkt to scout players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How was that not a red?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Maybe he’s been playing too much beach volleyball since moving to LA? 🤣

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theres no reason for that to be a red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    theres no reason for that to be a red
    I guess it’s an interpretation if he stopped a goal scoring opportunity. Rewatching the play, it happens so far away from their goal plus a defender covering him, a yellow was the right call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he was indeed the last man, then that should be a straight red.
    A clear and obvious prevention of a goal scoring opportunity.
    However, if Chiellini was not the last man, then technically no.
    A smart yellow, yet an unsportsmanlike play.
    An argument may be made about the intention or deliberateness of the action.
    That video clip seems to be cut or offered from a bad or biased angle.
    There was still another teammate/defender besides the one seen lined straight with him to his right.
    In the pitch centre circle- behind Chiellini.
    A better, more encompassing video clip...

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-07-2022 at 06:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacen Russell-Rowe up to 15 goals on the season for Crew2, now averaging more than a goal a game.

Wondering where this all goes. Is it just viewed as lower league experience that won’t translate to MLS? Would teams in Europe look at this and think “he’s still only 19, we should buy him on the cheap”? Does he ever get a real runout for the first team with a DP striker ahead of him? Did we majorly blow this one (probably) or do we have better prospects in the pipeline?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Jacen Russell-Rowe up to 15 goals on the season for Crew2, now averaging more than a goal a game.

Wondering where this all goes. Is it just viewed as lower league experience that won’t translate to MLS? Would teams in Europe look at this and think “he’s still only 19, we should buy him on the cheap”? Does he ever get a real runout for the first team with a DP striker ahead of him? Did we majorly blow this one (probably) or do we have better prospects in the pipeline?
    Before anyone points out that he left us to go to college… we retained his rights and turned down a chance to sign him before Columbus.

Whatever his gifts, evidently there was something in him they didn’t like

Also, let’s keep in mind that MLSNext is dramatically below MLS in quality. Beckham’s kid has 9 assists for Miami just tossing crosses into the box, even though his day-to-day passing completion rate is just 63%. I kid you not.

Russell-Rowe looked decent against us, but they’ve still assigned him back to MLSNEXT, suggesting that with Cucho there they don’t see him getting a lot of time. So…

I dunno. Early days. Seems like a bit of a beast, with speed and talent.

Maybe he’s like Kaye and needed to move on as the kick in the ass to unleash the potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney having a little bit of a tough time with LAG…
    If they don’t turn things around really soon, I suspect he’ll get the chop.

If they lose the next two, maybe even sooner.

They’ve got a lot of money sunk into a club that is in free fall and seems bound to miss the playoffs again.

They really do have major issues based on personnel, through. Vanney’s preference for veterans combined with the club getting the wrong Europeans (Cabral and Douglas Costa are total busts) is really hurting them.

He’s also sitting their best striker instead of adapting and playing with two men up top. Joveljic has to be playing 90 as much as possible.

They’re banking a lot on Riqui Puig, which given that he’s a slightly built guy accustomed to tactically adept players who move into space and do what he expects may be a little insane. I think maybe they expect him to be Vasquez Jr, but Victor plied his trade at Club Brugge for years before we got him, and was used to a more physical, less technical game.

I’d put low odds on Vanney making it to October.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Before anyone points out that he left us to go to college… we retained his rights and turned down a chance to sign him before Columbus.

Whatever his gifts, evidently there was something in him they didn’t like

Also, let’s keep in mind that MLSNext is dramatically below MLS in quality. Beckham’s kid has 9 assists for Miami just tossing crosses into the box, even though his day-to-day passing completion rate is just 63%. I kid you not.

Russell-Rowe looked decent against us, but they’ve still assigned him back to MLSNEXT, suggesting that with Cucho there they don’t see him getting a lot of time. So…

I dunno. Early days. Seems like a bit of a beast, with speed and talent.

Maybe he’s like Kaye and needed to move on as the kick in the ass to unleash the potential.
    I think Bob was asked about deciding to sign Kerr over JRR. Bob seemed to suggest it was more related to Kerr's positional ability (i.e., ability to play the midfield, whereas JRR is more of a striker). TFC's always going to sign top forwards and it's going to be tough for a young player to breakthrough unless they have a breakthrough like Ayo. If TFC signed JRR he would have been behind JJ, Ayo and Peruzza in the striker order. Plus other attackers we have.

It's always going to be hard for an attack first player to break through with TFC. If someone's more of a midfielder I think they have a better route to playing time since they present a bit more flexibility and midfield is likely not to be packed with DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Bob was asked about deciding to sign Kerr over JRR. Bob seemed to suggest it was more related to Kerr's positional ability (i.e., ability to play the midfield, whereas JRR is more of a striker). TFC's always going to sign top forwards and it's going to be tough for a young player to breakthrough unless they have a breakthrough like Ayo. If TFC signed JRR he would have been behind JJ, Ayo and Peruzza in the striker order. Plus other attackers we have.

It's always going to be hard for an attack first player to break through with TFC. If someone's more of a midfielder I think they have a better route to playing time since they present a bit more flexibility and midfield is likely not to be packed with DPs.
    Gone are the days when Canada was more likely to produce keepers and defensively minded players but seems it’s still a good idea for young strikers to get out of the country for a chance to succeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They’ve got a lot of money sunk into a club that is in free fall and seems bound to miss the playoffs again.

They really do have major issues based on personnel, through. Vanney’s preference for veterans combined with the club getting the wrong Europeans (Cabral and Douglas Costa are total busts) is really hurting them.

He’s also sitting their best striker instead of adapting and playing with two men up top. Joveljic has to be playing 90 as much as possible.

They’re banking a lot on Riqui Puig, which given that he’s a slightly built guy accustomed to tactically adept players who move into space and do what he expects may be a little insane. I think maybe they expect him to be Vasquez Jr, but Victor plied his trade at Club Brugge for years before we got him, and was used to a more physical, less technical game.

I’ve been somewhat following this and I’m surprised he hasn’t found a way to use two strikers and consistently start Jovelijic. Also surprised by the major ‘agenda/discord’ thing. In Toronto, Vanney was unusual for MLS coaches in adapting the formation(s) to suit the roster. Also, he was quite good at keeping personnel discord to a minimum, dealing with it when it arrived and juggling veteran egos.

Anyone know what’s going on (in an underlying way) in LA that’s different from his time here?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

douglas costa and cabral both had flop written all over them.

their recruitment has been horrific for years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I’ve been somewhat following this and I’m surprised he hasn’t found a way to use two strikers and consistently start Jovelijic. Also surprised by the major ‘agenda/discord’ thing. In Toronto, Vanney was unusual for MLS coaches in adapting the formation(s) to suit the roster. Also, he was quite good at keeping personnel discord to a minimum, dealing with it when it arrived and juggling veteran egos.

Anyone know what’s going on (in an underlying way) in LA that’s different from his time here?
    Of the 2014 team Vanney inherited, pretty much everybody but Oso & Morgon & Bradley were gone by 2016. He molded that team, with Bez, into his vision.

He's not had the same option at LAG.

I also am coming around to the idea that Vanney had a particular skill set good for TFC circa 2014-209 - he thought he was great because of what he did at TFC & that his skillset was transferrable to LAG, not understanding that the circumstances of TFC at the time matched his strengths & hid his weaknesses.

Not all managers work in all situations.

Can he turn it around with a 3rd year running that team? Not sure LAG has the patience for that. They really should give him until mid next season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Of the 2014 team Vanney inherited, pretty much everybody but Oso & Morgon & Bradley were gone by 2016. He molded that team, with Bez, into his vision.

He's not had the same option at LAG.

I also am coming around to the idea that Vanney had a particular skill set good for TFC circa 2014-209 - he thought he was great because of what he did at TFC & that his skillset was transferrable to LAG, not understanding that the circumstances of TFC at the time matched his strengths & hid his weaknesses.

Not all managers work in all situations.

Can he turn it around with a 3rd year running that team? Not sure LAG has the patience for that. They really should give him until mid next season.
    Vanney also worked really well with Bez. It's quite likely he is not working as well with Jovan Kirovski, it doesn't seem like the players he likes are being signed.
    If there is a conflict of visions, usually it's the coach who ends up going (an exception to this was Curtis at NYRB, where it was clear to management that the GM didn't have the quality needed).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-10-2022 at 07:09 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Vanney also worked really well with Bez. It's quite likely he is not working as well with Jovan Kirovski, it doesn't seem like the players he likes are being signed.
    If there is a conflict of visions, usually it's the coach who ends up going (an exception to this was Curtis at NYRB, where it was clear to management that the GM didn't have the quality needed).
    Unfortunately... in this case... by curriculum vitae quality... Kirovski > Vanney.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got an email from TFC today:

(1) Confirming TFC SSH will have free access to TFC games next year via Apple TV (doesn't seem like you need to be an Apple TV subscriber).
    (2) SSH will have "offers" related to other MLSE teams. Argos or Marlies tickets anyone?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope the Apple TV deal improves the entire production value of the presentation. Please no more Caldwell.