Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Or worse, you need Apple TV then MLS as an add on to that. I like this concept better though. I'm over cable and I can't bring myself to get TSN streaming as the quality is poor. and the price is bad for what you get. I'm more apt to do this, but price and whether you need an Apple TV subscription plus this will probably determine it for me. DAZN has been great, to me that's the model of what I'd want. I hope this will be cheaper given the lower quality football.
    You probably won’t need an Apple TV sub as well, as you can watch Apple TV for free. The sub gets you paid content…. which is nearly all of the good stuff.

As long as they allow free app access you should be able to just add the MLS package, I imagine.

But they might force it. If they do, they usually have bundle pricing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    You probably won’t need an Apple TV sub as well, as you can watch Apple TV for free. The sub gets you paid content…. which is nearly all of the good stuff.

As long as they allow free app access you should be able to just add the MLS package, I imagine.

But they might force it. If they do, they usually have bundle pricing.
    Yeah I assume that's true, but you never know. The general experience of Rogers all these years makes me pretty suspicious of anything like this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yes that makes sense -- but it worries me. I love that this year we have a very reasonable schedule for Toronto weather, which also common in many other MLS cities. I.e. weekend afternoon games early and late in the season, when it's often cold, so it's better to avoid evening games. Then in the summer all weekend games are in the evening, to avoid the worst of the heat and humidity.

I imagine that goes out the window with this deal. There are many NA cities where you can't play a decent game of footy at 1pm in the summer, and even 4pm is iffy. That's only going to get worse over the next 10 years during the life of this deal.
    In the summer months they will have to load the later times up with games. Having the Wednesday game will also help spread the Game Week out a bit. They will just need to be very mindful with how they schedule those double gameweeks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All indications are that MLS/Apple are wanting a significant increase in production values for all games - they are going to put an emphasis on this being an event night - Soccer in the USA on Wednesday & Saturday nights. Roaming cameras, possibly using the flyover camera that the CFL uses.

I suspect "crowds as content" is going to be a big selling point by Apple - our evening crowds are always more raucous. Get ready for a lot of 7pm games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thing is that this will likely opens up the mls to more countries and markets. Apple TV+ is available in over 100 countries.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    One other thing is that this will likely opens up the mls to more countries and markets. Apple TV+ is available in over 100 countries.
    Interesting point in all this - unlike US based TV, overseas fans don't care about Canadian teams being in Canada - Apple will make this about quality of team & of the atmosphere.

&

Being in EVERYBODY's feed at the same time as all the other teams will put the 3 Canadian teams on equal footing in the minds of US based followers.

&

This moves the league towards a discussion of every team - away from the "I only care about my team & don't follow anybody else" thinking around most of MLS fandom.

Give it 10 years - this will change soccer in North America extensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Interesting point in all this - unlike US based TV, overseas fans don't care about Canadian teams being in Canada - Apple will make this about quality of team & of the atmosphere.

&

Being in EVERYBODY's feed at the same time as all the other teams will put the 3 Canadian teams on equal footing in the minds of US based followers.

&

This moves the league towards a discussion of every team - away from the "I only care about my team & don't follow anybody else" thinking around most of MLS fandom.

Agree and like the point I have bolded. But think you are hugely optimistic re Americans (underlined part). Very very parochial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just listened to the Allocation Disorder podcast. They claim that this MLS package will be free for season ticket holders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Agree and like the point I have bolded. But think you are hugely optimistic re Americans (underlined part). Very very parochial.
    Yeah, we had Mlslive for 10 years, where you could get every game streamed for $20 a month. When Bigsoccer was still a force it was clear most hardcores were still only watching their own team. They'd become incredulous when you mentioned watching multiple or most of the games each week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Just listened to the Allocation Disorder podcast. They claim that this MLS package will be free for season ticket holders.
    Yep, Garber confirMed that in his speech yesterday. This makes me think you will have to also have Apple TV sub, as they'd be giving up a huge number of potential subs otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, we had Mlslive for 10 years, where you could get every game streamed for $20 a month. When Bigsoccer was still a force it was clear most hardcores were still only watching their own team. They'd become incredulous when you mentioned watching multiple or most of the games each week
    I'd be somewhere in the middle. Agree this doesn't just happen, but package it well (Have a redzone like service with lots of games happening at once, and a good, proper round up show that exposes you to all teams and sells the drama and storylines everywhere) and there's a chance to get people interested in the whole league more so than today

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The US soccer market 10-15 years ago was hardcore "I came here from the USMNT so found my local & that's the two I follow". Times are changing and with the League Cup coming online, we are basically playing in a mini-league with LigaMx every year.

The eyeballs Apple are chasing are not Columbus white boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

&

&

Feel the opposite to that point about “every team”.

Moving to Apple TV will lose the casual and only attract the diehard person watching their team. To me this deal screams “we give up trying to convert casuals, if they want to watch MLS, they’ll watch MLS”.

Diehards may pay more attention to the league, but the only people watching will be the diehards anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Feel the opposite to that point about “every team”.

Moving to Apple TV will lose the casual and only attract the diehard person watching their team. To me this deal screams “we give up trying to convert casuals, if they want to watch MLS, they’ll watch MLS”.

Diehards may pay more attention to the league, but the only people watching will be the diehards anyway.
    That's the modern business model, to niche and segment a customer base as much as possible, drilling down to the most dedicated and focussing on them. The ability to track their behavioral and spending habits through repeated contact gives them more long-term ability to make money off those customers.

They likely also theorize that people who would naturally be drawn to check it out will see things like highlight packages and occasional free games, produced to a higher standard, and will buy in.

I'd bet they'll also have "by game" and "monthly" offers for subs that cost a little more but give them a "check it out" option.

From what online marketing for books and movies seems to have become, I can vouch that huge companies will gladly give up vast segments of their traditional business if its support is nebulous to concentrate on their core and new devotees.

I suspect most entertainment and non-essential spending, given the cost of trying to maintain massive content bases, will do this more and more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really good article. Thanks!

The growth of MLS over the years has already been simply amazing. If this deal does for MLS what Sky Sports did for English football that would be transformative.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When will local broadcasting completely cease to exist? No blackouts is amazing but you know TSN is going to have a hissy fit.

Inevitably your going to have Bell and Roger's moan to the CRTC again. Watch out for your internet rates to increase.

So what happens to the announcers? I hope whatever contract Caldwell has is never renewed by Apple, lets have some proper analysis....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    When will local broadcasting completely cease to exist? No blackouts is amazing but you know TSN is going to have a hissy fit.

Inevitably your going to have Bell and Roger's moan to the CRTC again. Watch out for your internet rates to increase.

So what happens to the announcers? I hope whatever contract Caldwell has is never renewed by Apple, lets have some proper analysis....
    I can see Wileman being absorbed by Apple TV if he is available. He has really grown on me as a PbP guy since being exposed to Gareth Wheeler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see Wileman being absorbed by Apple TV if he is available. He has really grown on me as a PbP guy since being exposed to Gareth Wheeler.
    Kevin Kilbane as well, as the dude is engaging and blunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin Kilbane as well, as the dude is engaging and blunt.
    Also add bringing Kristian Jack back from obscurity as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just realised something

Every game comes with a local radio option

They are going to sell us in the stands on ear pieces to hear the commentary with..... (those of you who watch cricket know what I'm talking about)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

From the big explainer article The Athletic put out - MLS seems to still be trying to get some linear deals done (with ESPN in the States and TSN in Canada) --
    How will MLS’ Apple TV deal affect the league? Everything we know about the agreement - The Athletic

I take it as a 'MLS Game of the Week' kind of idea where it would be linearly broadcast but the stream would be through Apple TV (or "X" App AND Apple TV)

So TSN would probably put up something to keep the property in some form but would have to understand that they'd not have exclusivity over it (both in terms of blackouts and streaming)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to fire up the BMO Field renovation thread then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pleaseeee let us have a permanent north end

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the modern business model, to niche and segment a customer base as much as possible, drilling down to the most dedicated and focussing on them. The ability to track their behavioral and spending habits through repeated contact gives them more long-term ability to make money off those customers.

They likely also theorize that people who would naturally be drawn to check it out will see things like highlight packages and occasional free games, produced to a higher standard, and will buy in.

I'd bet they'll also have "by game" and "monthly" offers for subs that cost a little more but give them a "check it out" option.

From what online marketing for books and movies seems to have become, I can vouch that huge companies will gladly give up vast segments of their traditional business if its support is nebulous to concentrate on their core and new devotees.

I suspect most entertainment and non-essential spending, given the cost of trying to maintain massive content bases, will do this more and more.
    Yeah good point, good article too thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are they going to play the games at 9.00pm next season , I don’t like these games at 7.30 pm I travel out out of town bring back the 3pm games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    Pleaseeee let us have a permanent north end
    Yes!

My fear is they do it on the cheap. I love BMO, it's a great little stadium, especially since the east expansion and the addition of the roofs. But it's not a world cup stadium, and will only serve to embarrass the city as it is now. Some serious thought needs to go into a permanent expansion that properly closes it in, and adds some architectural detail. Can't an addition happen to the west stand as well as the north? There is a lot of room up to the roof line. The roof looks plopped down as an afterthought now (which it was) unlike the east side which at least looks cohesive. There are a lots of examples of this kind of stadium in the UK. Parken Stadium in Copenhagen might be a good model. Four years isn't a lot of time but I hope they plan something better than the scaffolding seating we got during the MLS Cup run.

Too bad the Ontario Line won’t be done by then as well. That would really help get people there and showcase Toronto. Instead Exhibition station will probably be under construction, which I guess is a true showcasing of Toronto in the summer. Lol!
    Last edited by Canary10; 06-17-2022 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yes!

My fear is they do it on the cheap. I love BMO, it's a great little stadium, especially since the east expansion and the addition of the roofs. But it's not a world cup stadium, and will only serve to embarrass the city as it is now. Some serious thought needs to go into a permanent expansion that properly closes it in, and adds some architectural detail. Can't an addition happen to the west stand as well as the north? There is a lot of room up to the roof line. The roof looks plopped down as an afterthought now (which it was) unlike the east side which at least looks cohesive. There are a lots of examples of this kind of stadium in the UK. Parken Stadium in Copenhagen might be a good model. Four years isn't a lot of time but I hope they plan something better than the scaffolding seating we got during the MLS Cup run.

Too bad the Ontario Line won’t be done by then as well. That would really help get people there and showcase Toronto. Instead Exhibition station will probably be under construction, which I guess is a true showcasing of Toronto in the summer. Lol!
    What I worry about so much is that the Argos are ruining a proper renovation of BMO. If their gone they can do a permanent north end. If their still at BMO we are getting permanent seats else where … and forever will be a horseshoe stadium. Which sucks !!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    What I worry about so much is that the Argos are ruining a proper renovation of BMO. If their gone they can do a permanent north end. If their still at BMO we are getting permanent seats else where … and forever will be a horseshoe stadium. Which sucks !!
    I grew up an Argo fan…. Time to move them to to Lamport or Varsity. Better in the medium and long term to have a jammed 10,000 seat stadium than a 1/4 full 40,000 seat stadium. If there is a big game play it somewhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/argos...eport-1.271677

I found this olddddd article once. If lamport could be renovated a bit, it would be perfect to put them there. Better for the Argo fans , better for us TFC fans.