0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy nets his first for the revs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga almost landed us a high-profile transfer...
    https://www.jeunesfooteux.com/RC-Len...LS_a53007.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red card to Dom Dwyer in the game against Montreal today, high foot Waaaaaay late. Rounding to form!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mtl giving away 3 points against Atlanta on the road. Up 3-1 with a man advantage, it’s now 3-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlotte leading New England after 10 mins.

Hmmmm.... I wonder who's playing center half for NE today?

EDIT: LOL, 3-1 now.

Good call, Bruce.
    Last edited by jloome; 03-19-2022 at 07:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago Fire's stadium looked empty for their win yesterday. Transfermarkt says they're averaging 17,000 a game but I'd be surprised if there were really 5,000 in that cavernous place. Looked really bad. On top of that, they must've been piping in crowd noise still, as there's no way that scattering of bodies was producing that much noise.

Not a good look for the league when the highlight reel is full of empty seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ a temporary stop onto somewhere better one would hope. They got out of bridge view with the idea of eventually scoring somewhere closer to the core of the city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ a temporary stop onto somewhere better one would hope. They got out of bridge view with the idea of eventually scoring somewhere closer to the core of the city.
    Yeah, there seems to be a consistent effort to land the right "home" without any concern to the fact that they have an intransigent fan base, at best. If a supporter base is strong, you can put them in a cow pasture 10 miles away and people will still make their way there.

But miles out of downtown combined with zero local buy in....

The thing is, they haven't won anything since the Open Cup in 2006, and US clubs and fans don't seem to take that competition seriously.

I really wish MLS just used a proper "team with the most points wins" systems, so that cups other than the MLS cup meant something to U.S. fans.

It wouldn't even take much adjustment. Call the Supporters shield winners the "league champions", call the playoff the winners the "MLS Cup" holders, run the domestic cups concurrent to the league like other countries.

It works everywhere else. And it's not as if MLS fans aren't watching leagues overseas. Every poll I've ever seen (similar to pro/rel) is basically 50/50. A few years of doing it and the 50% who think every title needs to be a playoff would get accustomed.
    Last edited by jloome; 03-20-2022 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, there seems to be a consistent effort to land the right "home" without any concern to the fact that they have an intransigent fan base, at best. If a supporter base is strong, you can put them in a cow pasture 10 miles away and people will still make their way there.

But miles out of downtown combined with zero local buy in....

The thing is, they haven't won anything since the Open Cup in 2006, and US clubs and fans don't seem to take that competition seriously.

I really wish MLS just used a proper "team with the most points wins" systems, so that cups other than the MLS cup meant something to U.S. fans.

It wouldn't even take much adjustment. Call the Supporters shield winners the "league champions", call the playoff the winners the "MLS Cup" holders, run the domestic cups concurrent to the league like other countries.

It works everywhere else. And it's not as if MLS fans aren't watching leagues overseas. Every poll I've ever seen (similar to pro/rel) is basically 50/50. A few years of doing it and the 50% who think every title needs to be a playoff would get accustomed.
    Supporters shield is irrelevant with an unbalanced schedule in my opinion. The league needs to be split in two with teams only playing games in their own conference, playoffs would be standard East vs West.

This is what I would like to see in the future.

Eastern Supporter's Shield
    Western Supporter's Shield
    MLS Cup Playoffs(East Vs West)
    MLS Super Cup Friendly(Eastern Supporter's Shield vs Western Supporter's Shield)

MLS Open Cup(All teams including Canadians)

US Open Cup
    Canadian Championship Cup

CONCACAF Champions League

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago is one of those MLS teams where the Leagues Cup format starting next year is going to actually get them noticed locally. Until then, all they can do is make the right long term decisions as to their potential base.

Which reminds me - we are the only MLS team without an official Spanish language #hashtag. So crazy in a city with so many people from South & Central America who follow the sport religiously.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question to the masses:

Is Larry T's interest in Chelsea an indication that he believes the ascendance of Ed Rogers with his already proven personal intervention style makes MLSE nonviable in its current ownership configuration?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if posted elsewhere but in my experience real estate people (like Larry) continually partner on deals. They do the same thing many times over. He partners on one project, her partners on the next. He’s doing the same thing here with sports

I wouldn’t read into this being an indication of his satisfaction with Bogers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC II beat York United 3-0 in a friendly yesterday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure where to put this, but the first renderings of Exhibition Station on the Ontario Line came out. Well, we all wanted a better link across BMO to Liberty Village than that horrible tunnel and looks like that station will finally bring it. One positive of the Ontario Line, assuming it is built in our lifetimes.

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/03/2...ings-released/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the preparatory work includes a “temporary pedestrian bridge”. That’s a good thing because it will be built regardless of whether the Ontario Line is ever completed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Looks like the preparatory work includes a “temporary pedestrian bridge”. That’s a good thing because it will be built regardless of whether the Ontario Line is ever completed.
    Good catch, I didn't notice that. That's good news.

If the Ontario Line actually got built, I could walk about 500 metres to the Leslieville or East Harbour Stations and get literally dropped off in front of BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That bridge won’t been done for years… Supposedly 3 years but it’s metrolinx so probably closer to 5 years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    That bridge won’t been done for years… Supposedly 3 years but it’s metrolinx so probably closer to 5 years
    It's only a temporary bridge. The new Exhibition Station will provide a better permanent link across the tracks, although that's even further away (2030 earliest probably).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    It's only a temporary bridge. The new Exhibition Station will provide a better permanent link across the tracks, although that's even further away (2030 earliest probably).
    Ok so when I saw you wrote 2030 I went holy crap but then I realized we are already in 2022 so actually not that far off. Just looks ominous being that big of a number in the 2000's. LOL. We are not even supposed to have to walk anymore by then unless the movie makers lied to us. I want my hoverboard.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were supposed to get a second tunnel under the GO rails built farther West - timed for 2026.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC II hire former TFC player (played once in 2007) David Monsalve as Goalkeeper Coach

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We were supposed to get a second tunnel under the GO rails built farther West - timed for 2026.
    Maybe they'll open the "new" north entrance to the existing tunnel by then, so we don't have to all squeeze up the west staircase like now.

(Which is actually a major reason for the current congestion in the tunnel -- that's the pinch point, plus folks from/to Liberty Village having to mix with GO passengers on the existing narrow staircases.)
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-31-2022 at 04:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son trained with David Monsalve when he was with the Ottawa Fury. Seemed like a decent coach when I talked with him and my son liked him, fwiw.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Is that date for sure? You would think that they would at least want that bridge sorted by 2026

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Is that date for sure? You would think that they would at least want that bridge sorted by 2026
    For sure the station itself won't be done until then at the earliest. The early works report said the temporary bridge will be in service until Exhibition Station opens. The public timeline on the Ontario Line is to open in 2030 but I know there is a lot of skepticism about that date even. Hopefully the temporary bridge is good and can handle the World Cup crowds.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland continuing to double down on the stupid

Yup, a team accused of not taking domestic violence & sexual assault seriously seeks to change the mind of a 27 year old woman through her Dad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We play Portland at our place on the 13th of August.

It won't happen but one of the S groups really should put up a You Knew sign....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A surprisingly lucid and sensible tactical analysis of Jesus Jimenez so far by WTR...

https://www.wakingthered.com/2022/4/...-jesus-jimenez

We really need to create more chances for him, though. We're averaging just four shots on target per game and eight overall.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buried deep in the report to the city about the 2026 WC

• Capital construction at Stadium commences

• Capital construction at Training Sites and BMO Field commences

• Temporary seating expansion installation commences at Stadium (impacts on

Exhibition Place service capacity until post-World Cup)
    Slightly confusing but it looks like

2024 - some permanent construction at the stadium

2025 - some more construction within the stadium starts
    - temporary stands constructed

Still not sure what this all means....stadium upgrades are likely to the press box area which will be expanded for sure, likely meaning a West revamp of some sort.

The temporary seating, based on the "service capacity" comment likely means north stand increases biting into the area in front of the food court.

Just wish they would have bitten the bullet to go for a full on north regeneration including a build over the food building but...that would take vision & more money then MLSE would be willing to put in.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-06-2022 at 06:36 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    The one thing to remember about anything regarding work at BMO (for anything not just WC 2026) is that MLSE operates it for the City, which is "renting" the land at Exhibition place from its board of directors (which basically a body that decides if any project will bring in $$ to exhibition place in some way, shape or form).
    So its the multiple level approval seeking that always takes time and reduces whatever vision may have been there at the beginning.

I do agree with you Og that some kind of covered/'galleria' type walkway between the BMO scoreboard and the food building would have made sense in the long run.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018