Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its the whole "well it works for the Champions League so why not here" line of thinking that I find annoying...

What they should have done is top 11 in each.

#1 goes to a semi

#2 & 3 play to see who goes to a semi or who drops to a group

10 & 11 play to see who goes to a group

Loser of 2 & 3
    Winner of 10 & 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had TSN Live for a couple of months this year. Sometimes because I wanted it; sometimes because I forgot to cancel it. There are so few good things available on there, it's astounding, so I was really paying almost exclusively to watch TFC. A few times I couldn't watch a TFC game live because I was travelling or some other half-decent reasons. In most of these cases, TSN Live did not make the game available to watch the next day. I also couldn't watch at all from Germany, live or delayed -- but luckily, I still had DAZN then, and it let me watch German DAZN (which is 100 times better) with my lower-cost DAZN Canada account. (I dropped DAZN Canada now after the price increase. Not much left on there either, and I just don't care about the NFL enough anymore either.)

Pissed me off so bad. I even contacted TSN Live. Their customer support responds quickly which surprised me. But just some vanilla response about rights etc.

I haven't looked into the details of the Apple TV deal, but I hope those days of so many restrictions are over...???

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of these plans seem sounds and offering 40% of games for free is a great initiaitive.

also feels like the first year might be a bit rough, especially at first,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good riddance to TSN.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taylor Twellman as commentator is not my preferred choice.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good riddance to TSN.
    They'll likely still have most tfc games as well tbh

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    They'll likely still have most tfc games as well tbh
    Based on that article, I suspect TSN rented trucks to be used for home games.

Here's hoping they don't go with the current local talent for our games because they really need a breath of fresh (non-British) air up here for TFC games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading the comments below and it looks like 1 Apple MLS account for each SSH account - not one per seat.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Reading the comments below and it looks like 1 Apple MLS account for each SSH account - not one per seat.
    Holy crap that's garbage. I share my pair of seats with a friend. We don't live together and can't share an Apple MLS account. I have other friends who have 6 or more expensive season tickets. Nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of these plans seem sounds and offering 40% of games for free is a great initiaitive.

also feels like the first year might be a bit rough, especially at first,
    Does 40% of games free apply to SSHs or anyone? I thought they are all supposed to be free for SSHs?

Wonder if TFC, and any bigger club that can get their own TV rights deal, loses money on this. I imagine this has the effect of equalizing TV rights money with smaller clubs being brought up, bigger ones down.

Also hate the one per account thing. That should be re-thought.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Does 40% of games free apply to SSHs or anyone? I thought they are all supposed to be free for SSHs?

Wonder if TFC, and any bigger club that can get their own TV rights deal, loses money on this. I imagine this has the effect of equalizing TV rights money with smaller clubs being brought up, bigger ones down.

Also hate the one per account thing. That should be re-thought.
    40% free to everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40% free to everyone
    Thanks. I definitely like this approach better as a viewer. Unless they decide Wheeler is a commentator.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Holy crap that's garbage. I share my pair of seats with a friend. We don't live together and can't share an Apple MLS account. I have other friends who have 6 or more expensive season tickets. Nuts.
    This applies to a lot of us I think. And sucks for sure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the 300-400,000 initial subscriber number doesn't really jive with one account/ STH account, unless you can have multiple subscribers on one account or something.

but that would be pretty shitty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Taylor Twellman as commentator is not my preferred choice.
    He's not bad. I like that he actually gives meaningful critiques of the play and not just "should've done better there" and the like.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting tidbits in that article

a) they interviewed every current colour & playbyplay person

b) teams will have the option to provide a radio feed instead of the Apple feed

c) there will at first be no "team of broadcast talents" - pbplay & colour commentators will switch around with each other

d) all work will be done live at stadiums

e) no discussion of sideline commentators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it means no more Caldwell and Wileman then I am all in favour. I can't understand why Wileman insists on referring to the team as Toronto FC at every instance, which just sounds amateurish. I watched the Liverpool game yesterday and the announcers didn't refer to the team as Liverpool FC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more Caldwell would immediately make TFC away game viewing infinitely more enjoyable. TSN really seem to hire anyone with a British accent like that's a substitute for knowledge or charisma

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I watch the games/highlights on Fubo/DAZN etc, there are so many strong announcers over there. We just need people who can understand and communicate the game, at a more serious level. The whole Caldwell style, endlessly going on about grit, "no autopsy, no foul", etc... just feels very 1975.

As an example, I want guys to tell me what the response to look for should be to high pressure, because the announcers can see the whole field and we can't. This always drives me nuts. You do see this done in the UK. (The one American guy who does this well is Twellman, who I know is not everyone's cup of tea. But he gives you in game strategy stuff.)

I wish there was a culture of hiring up and coming announcers from the UK. There must be somebody with a Canadian spouse, or who wants an adventure.

Kilbane is Exhibit A btw. He is far and away the best right now on our TV. But we only seem to do this for colour/analysis guys.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-30-2022 at 10:40 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on that article, I suspect TSN rented trucks to be used for home games.

Here's hoping they don't go with the current local talent for our games because they really need a breath of fresh (non-British) air up here for TFC games.
    Bell and Rogers co-own a company, Dome Productions. Dome Productions is owned by Bell Media and Rogers Media Inc. As one of North America’s leading production facilities providers, Dome Productions offers mobile production facilities, transmission services, studio facilities and full turnkey host broadcast services. The Dome Productions truck has always been parked outside of the stadium on the west side. TSN will still be able to sign a National TV deal with MLS, have all the TFC and Whitecaps games etc, it's just that Apple will also be streaming the game, which will devalue any potential traditional tv package. This is a new landscape in that we have not really seen non-exclusive broadcast agreements in the past.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Kilbane is Exhibit A btw. He is far and away the best right now on our TV. But we only seem to do this for colour/analysis guys.
    Yeah, completely agreed. Why is it broadcasters in this country feel most sports need to be dumbed down to the viewers?

Creating a better understanding of what’s happening on the field ads to the depth of experience. And it doesn’t take long before being hit over the head with a bag of cliches is tiring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, completely agreed. Why is it broadcasters in this country feel most sports need to be dumbed down to the viewers?

Creating a better understanding of what’s happening on the field ads to the depth of experience. And it doesn’t take long before being hit over the head with a bag of cliches is tiring.
    It’s the constant trivia laden chatting that I dislike. When a player touches the ball the commentator detaches and goes into a litany of stats and trivia about him that has little or nothing to do with the game. As if the announcers assume no one is interested in what’s actually happening on the pitch. I want people who are connected to the game, paying attention. In the game, to some degree. Otherwise I’d rather watch with the sound muted.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Bell and Rogers co-own a company, Dome Productions. Dome Productions is owned by Bell Media and Rogers Media Inc. As one of North America’s leading production facilities providers, Dome Productions offers mobile production facilities, transmission services, studio facilities and full turnkey host broadcast services. The Dome Productions truck has always been parked outside of the stadium on the west side. TSN will still be able to sign a National TV deal with MLS, have all the TFC and Whitecaps games etc, it's just that Apple will also be streaming the game, which will devalue any potential traditional tv package. This is a new landscape in that we have not really seen non-exclusive broadcast agreements in the past.
    Aaaa...forgot about Dome Productions.

Still, there is no indication that any Canadian MLS games will be produced by anybody but Apple.

The only games being discussed for national deals are weekly games for ESPN & Fox & even then there is thoughts that Apple will still produce.

Dome productions may give them the trucks but Apple is going to be doing the production.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I watch the games/highlights on Fubo/DAZN etc, there are so many strong announcers over there. We just need people who can understand and communicate the game, at a more serious level. The whole Caldwell style, endlessly going on about grit, "no autopsy, no foul", etc... just feels very 1975.

As an example, I want guys to tell me what the response to look for should be to high pressure, because the announcers can see the whole field and we can't. This always drives me nuts. You do see this done in the UK. (The one American guy who does this well is Twellman, who I know is not everyone's cup of tea. But he gives you in game strategy stuff.)

I wish there was a culture of hiring up and coming announcers from the UK. There must be somebody with a Canadian spouse, or who wants an adventure.

I must admit, it's probably just personal bias due to having grown up there, but I like announcers with English accents, particularly when they approach it in depth.

Need some women, too. FUBO has Premier League games on with women colour commentators, usually ex-players, and they're just as good and if I'm being honest, maybe a bit better, a bit more prepared and analytical.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Need some women, too. FUBO has Premier League games on with women colour commentators, usually ex-players, and they're just as good and if I'm being honest, maybe a bit better, a bit more prepared and analytical.
    Totally agree. Definitely better than a lot of the current MLS commentators. Like Lalas is on here tonight and yeesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    It’s the constant trivia laden chatting that I dislike. When a player touches the ball the commentator detaches and goes into a litany of stats and trivia about him that has little or nothing to do with the game. As if the announcers assume no one is interested in what’s actually happening on the pitch. I want people who are connected to the game, paying attention. In the game, to some degree. Otherwise I’d rather watch with the sound muted.
    American sport broadcasting development was heavily influenced by Baseball, it started with one guy in a booth then expanded to the stat regurgitation nonsense of today because apparently everyone has ADHD and needs all the dead air filled with "content".

The most enjoyable football broadcasts for me personally are when you have one announcer in the booth, color commentary isn't always needed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaaa...forgot about Dome Productions.

Still, there is no indication that any Canadian MLS games will be produced by anybody but Apple.

The only games being discussed for national deals are weekly games for ESPN & Fox & even then there is thoughts that Apple will still produce.

Dome productions may give them the trucks but Apple is going to be doing the production.
    There has definitely been talk about TFC games being on regular tv in this country, Bell owning TSN and being a partner in MLSE has an interest in maximizing TFC's exposure. They could use the Apple feed and produce their own broadcast around it. Guess it would come down to cost and do they see it being worth it. Can someone clarify, this Apple deal with for global streaming, thus does not prevent any traditional broadcast deals, it just makes them a lot less attractive to potential broadcast partners especially on the local level in the US?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There has definitely been talk about TFC games being on regular tv in this country, Bell owning TSN and being a partner in MLSE has an interest in maximizing TFC's exposure. They could use the Apple feed and produce their own broadcast around it. Guess it would come down to cost and do they see it being worth it. Can someone clarify, this Apple deal with for global streaming, thus does not prevent any traditional broadcast deals, it just makes them a lot less attractive to potential broadcast partners especially on the local level in the US?
    My understanding is MLS wants to phase out the traditional local broadcast deals and have Apple stream all of the games.

Straight from the site.

In a historic first for sports, fans can stream every single MLS match through the Apple TV app, without any local blackouts or restrictions. One place for everything. No need for traditional pay TV bundle.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/apple/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's my understanding, that local broadcasters can still broadcast - just they'll face the competition of Apple TV. It may still be worth their while (Especially, as you said, if this reduces the broadcasting cost by outsourcing it to Apple) and I can see how in our case it'd still be very much worthwhile but it definitely diminishes the already pretty meager value that showing MLS on your channel would bring