Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I hope the Apple TV deal improves the entire production value of the presentation. Please no more Caldwell.
    Totally agree, no more dour Caldwell would be welcome. MLS commentators are generally pretty good.

But as a thought, I always hated the local commentary teams for the raptors too (low production value / insight compared to their US counterparts) until the raptors made their playoff run and all of a sudden anything the raptors won was viewed as the other teams failure rather than their own success.

MLS doesn’t seem to have that same issue. We’ve been around and a respected part of the league for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if they decide to basically keep 12 - 15 or so of the broadcast teams, I have a feeling Luke and Caldwell will be one of the ones they pick, because they need at least one French team, one central Canadian team, and one west coast team. So I think that means they won't be going anywhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    But if they decide to basically keep 12 - 15 or so of the broadcast teams, I have a feeling Luke and Caldwell will be one of the ones they pick, because they need at least one French team, one central Canadian team, and one west coast team. So I think that means they won't be going anywhere.
    Yep I'd have to agree with you on that. Although it would be nice to see them go, I cannot see them being replaced either. They know this market and the team so I find it hard to believe they would want to go and scout and find other people for the production, especially if they are expanding and doing pre/post game shows.
    I am excited to see the production value go up though, that will be very nice. As mentioned before no blackouts, most likely have pre-game all the time now instead of whatever else they fill in on TSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    Yep I'd have to agree with you on that. Although it would be nice to see them go, I cannot see them being replaced either. They know this market and the team so I find it hard to believe they would want to go and scout and find other people for the production, especially if they are expanding and doing pre/post game shows.
    I am excited to see the production value go up though, that will be very nice. As mentioned before no blackouts, most likely have pre-game all the time now instead of whatever else they fill in on TSN.
    Plus I assume the games can be watched on-demand afterwards. No more staying up until 3 am!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus I assume the games can be watched on-demand afterwards. No more staying up until 3 am!

Yup - on demand confirmed

https://www.apple.com/ca/newsroom/20...nning-in-2023/

There will be team specific content but I suspect that will vary from team to team - can't see Dallas investing anything into that while LAFC will go full bore.

One thing that is good about this is Fox has the World Cup so Alexi Lalas is unlikely to jump ship to the MLS productions team - I could do without the "I'm going to be a pain is the ass for the sake of ratings" approach.

&

Do NOT underestimate the Spanish language option in this city. TFC is absolutely CRAP at outreach to the large Spanish language communities in this city. We are one of the few teams without Spanish language social media.
    If he's still with the team, TFC should market the SHIT out of Osorio with Spanish language programming. Its a no-brainer. Every game will be in Spanish. GET IT DONE TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yup - on demand confirmed

https://www.apple.com/ca/newsroom/20...nning-in-2023/

There will be team specific content but I suspect that will vary from team to team - can't see Dallas investing anything into that while LAFC will go full bore.

One thing that is good about this is Fox has the World Cup so Alexi Lalas is unlikely to jump ship to the MLS productions team - I could do without the "I'm going to be a pain is the ass for the sake of ratings" approach.

&

Do NOT underestimate the Spanish language option in this city. TFC is absolutely CRAP at outreach to the large Spanish language communities in this city. We are one of the few teams without Spanish language social media.
    If he's still with the team, TFC should market the SHIT out of Osorio with Spanish language programming. Its a no-brainer. Every game will be in Spanish. GET IT DONE TFC.
    Great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like we’re second in MLS now in viewership for highlights, after LAFC.

Big names, big views.

Last week’s game, LAFC was over 100K viewership of the official highlights package, which comes out the night of the game, typically. We were around 90K, no one else was above 48K.

This week, we’re at 60K after one day, lafc at 65K, everyone else hovering around 40K.

So it looks like we get about twice the viewership, over time, for our highlights of other teams except LAFC.

Italian viewers, would be my guess, as they both seem to spike the day after the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it ain’t quite the Bundesliga… but a lesson in context (club, health and life) no doubt. He might have been the worst, most lead-footed, most inept striker we ever had. I mean among those who previously had some achievement, played at a high level.

(And before someone mentions Mista, he did have a few good games for us before becoming utterly unengaged. I remember zero from Boyd.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Footy prime podcast has an interview with OSO today. Available on all your fave podcast services. (Sharman, Craig Forrest, Dan Wong and Jimmy Brennan do this a couple of times a week now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Well, it ain’t quite the Bundesliga… but a lesson in context (club, health and life) no doubt. He might have been the worst, most lead-footed, most inept striker we ever had. I mean among those who previously had some achievement, played at a high level.

(And before someone mentions Mista, he did have a few good games for us before becoming utterly unengaged. I remember zero from Boyd.)
    Dom Dwyer was pretty bad, when he finished with us he literally hadn't had a shot on target in two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dom Dwyer was pretty bad, when he finished with us he literally hadn't had a shot on target in two years.

I’m watching DC United from a fan’s perspective, a follow on from the upper deck of LAFC’s stadium, right now.

DC is so bad. Rooney has a chore on his hands.

They literally don’t even look for each other. Just guys showboating, trying to beat three guys, ignoring supporting players three feet away. From that perspective, the awfulness of it is so obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHvBOExo4zk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...ange-worldwide
    A good article on what Morrow has been up to in retirement - two year program at Harvard, working to take BPC global and still working in youth development with TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...ange-worldwide
    A good article on what Morrow has been up to in retirement - two year program at Harvard, working to take BPC global and still working in youth development with TFC.
    I ran into him prior to last game. He was hanging out over by the Raptors training centre when I was parking and I said hello. Such a super nice guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V. Vazquez still going strong, 2nd goal in the last two matches:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/goal...xy-42nd-minute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kadin Chung with an assist for TFC II (hover over the picture and click the arrow to see it). TFCII has now won 9 in a row (including PK shootout wins)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Kadin Chung with an assist for TFC II (hover over the picture and click the arrow to see it). TFCII has now won 9 in a row (including PK shootout wins)

Nice. I like those kits too. Better than our current primary one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shaffelburg scores for nashville

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    shaffelburg scores for nashville
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/goal...sc-26th-minute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. I like those kits too. Better than our current primary one.
    Their white kits are nicer than ours too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Their white kits are nicer than ours too.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Love me some Bernie. Would love to party with this guy. He is correct though on MLS. Its not a free ride - physically I would argue its more demanding then SerieA. More like the EPL.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Love me some Bernie. Would love to party with this guy. He is correct though on MLS. Its not a free ride - physically I would argue its more demanding then SerieA. More like the EPL.
    Not really like the EPL either. The travel is the biggest factor in making this a tough league and is unique for a top 20 league.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Not really like the EPL either. The travel is the biggest factor in making this a tough league and is unique for a top 20 league.
    Travel and extreme climate shifts are the big thing. It's like doing the Europa or Conference League all year but further and with more matches.

As for the football comparison I think it's physically similar to France but the technicality is more like Scandinavia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/arti...ub-az-alkmaar/

Mtl sell their best player to Europe (after the season is over).

Also from the same article, Matko Miljevic suspended for diving. Which is interesting because IIRC the play in question drew a penalty and was reviewed by VaR. What can this be other than another sign our officials are incompetent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this pretty interesting. Basically says what mayve we’ve been observing in recent games: if Nelson can cut out the turnovers and sharpen the defensive aspect of his game, he’d be a very effective shuttler in midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tsubasa Endoh now playing for LA Galaxy II. The TFC to LA Galaxy train continues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see Jayden Nelson get a mention in the young players of the week column. He deserves it after his recent improvement. The column compared Nelson to Blessings breakthrough at LAFC under BB.