Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2022 General TFC/MLS Banter (no transfer/roster discussion)

This thread is a catch-all for general banter not specifically related to transfer rumours.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post

I would expect MLS to vigorously defend their trademark for their Toronto division.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just weird to see.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should just make them our Brazilian farm team. They already look like it with the logo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL it even has the maple leaf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm flattered, to be honest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta say one thing about Miami - they win the prize for stadium plans per actual stadium built ratio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Gotta say one thing about Miami - they win the prize for stadium plans per actual stadium built ratio.

That stadium is gonna be tight if it ends up looking like that in the end.

Some things are worth waiting for. Now they just have to make sure they get a good team to play in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes that we'll be playing with a lone striker most of the time, with Pozuelo and Insigne playing as inverted wingers underneath that player.

Peruzza will probably see some more serious minutes if only because he's a big striker with good feet; he's the sort of player who could play well as a target man, laying the ball off for the two DPs.

(I know, I have a Peruzza thing. May well be wrong. Early days for the lad.)

Either way, lone striker setup lowers the pressure somewhat, especially if we resign Akinola. I think he's sort of a guaranteed 8-12 goal guy already despite some shortcomings and inconsistency. But any big striker with touch would be a good fit.

We need to find another Adam Buksa, someone in Eastern Europe or Asia who is lethal with head and feet, a space finder who poaches a ton and beats defenders to crosses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Should just make them our Brazilian farm team. They already look like it with the logo.
    Maybe they are and the club has just been quiet about it...

Not the worst idea in the world, setting up feeder clubs in great footie nations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The more I think about it, the more sense it makes that we'll be playing with a lone striker most of the time, with Pozuelo and Insigne playing as inverted wingers underneath that player.

Peruzza will probably see some more serious minutes if only because he's a big striker with good feet; he's the sort of player who could play well as a target man, laying the ball off for the two DPs.

(I know, I have a Peruzza thing. May well be wrong. Early days for the lad.)

Either way, lone striker setup lowers the pressure somewhat, especially if we resign Akinola. I think he's sort of a guaranteed 8-12 goal guy already despite some shortcomings and inconsistency. But any big striker with touch would be a good fit.

We need to find another Adam Buksa, someone in Eastern Europe or Asia who is lethal with head and feet, a space finder who poaches a ton and beats defenders to crosses.
    Makes sense. And another Buksa would do it.

Peruzza looked so good at first and (in the highlights) at San Antonio. I never quite sorted the talk of his injury problem - was it supposed to be his back? Seemed more internet talk than official info. Does anyone know what was actually going on?

Vanney successfully converted (an albeit young) Akinola from winger to centre forward. Jozy seemed the mentor there. I’m eager to see what he can do there once he’s back and fit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the value of MLS teams going up so crazily, is MLS the biggest Ponzi scheme in sports history?

https://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2022...ue-655-million
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Makes sense. And another Buksa would do it.

Peruzza looked so good at first and (in the highlights) at San Antonio. I never quite sorted the talk of his injury problem - was it supposed to be his back? Seemed more internet talk than official info. Does anyone know what was actually going on?

Vanney successfully converted (an albeit young) Akinola from winger to centre forward. Jozy seemed the mentor there. I’m eager to see what he can do there once he’s back and fit.
    It was his back - the club mentioned it at some point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuboTV has won the Canadian rights to the Premier League starting next season. They already have Serie A and access to OneSoccer and Bein. I wonder if they make a push for MLS rights.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...remier-league/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does DAZN still hold UCL rights? It is getting really expensive to be a soccer fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Does DAZN still hold UCL rights? It is getting really expensive to be a soccer fan.
    Yeah they do. I think it's until 2024, but I'm not 100% sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started using FuboTV in the fall for Serie A games and I have been pleased with the service. Its annual fee is a little cheaper than dazn and quality of video is quite good.
    Last edited by benito; 01-13-2022 at 09:45 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle finished the signing of Rusnak today. Good signing for them. He was very good for a pretty poor RSL team for years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

poor...lol they went to playoffs three of the last four years and just went to conference final...on paper seattle just gets stronger...rusnak lodeiro ruidiaz paulo...wow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    poor...lol they went to playoffs three of the last four years and just went to conference final...on paper seattle just gets stronger...rusnak lodeiro ruidiaz paulo...wow
    Don't think making the playoffs is the yardstick for a good team in MLS, lol. They barely made it this year. They had uncertain ownership, coaching changes, weird controversies, etc over Rusnak's time there.

Yeah, Seattle looks strong.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Yeah they do. I think it's until 2024, but I'm not 100% sure.
    I would hate for them to lose all soccer except UCL because I don't want to keep that service at that price for just one competition. I don't watch anything else on DAZN other than EPL and UCL right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    I started using FuboTV in the fall for Serie A games and I have been pleased with the service. Its annual fee is a little cheaper than dazn and quality of video is quite good.
    I actually signed up for FuboTV on the day of the final of the Canadian Championship, as they carry OneSoccer too, which is the channel that was showing that match.

After the trial, kept it on the annual plan, and so glad to have done so. Since now I can see Serie A games, including Napoli - where Insigne currently plays. Plus get to see matches in France's Ligue 1 too!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I would hate for them to lose all soccer except UCL because I don't want to keep that service at that price for just one competition. I don't watch anything else on DAZN other than EPL and UCL right now.
    But one reason to still keep DAZN is that is where the other MLS games featuring only American teams are shown, if not already on TSN. PLUS NFL Sunday ticket!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    But one reason to still keep DAZN is that is where the other MLS games featuring only American teams are shown, if not already on TSN. PLUS NFL Sunday ticket!
    I follow TFC, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A and EPL so winter game watching schedule is pretty full and summer it is TFC or sitting on my patio or other summer activities. To be honest I have no interest in any MLS games that don't involve TFC. I also haven't followed NFL since I was in university all those years ago but yeah if you are an NFL fan that is a great option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trivia question: is Jack Harrison the first former MLSer to score a Premier League hat-trick? The only competition I can think of would be McBride and Dempsey.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-match-report