Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoever said the new Clubfoot Montreal crest looks like a Mexican wrestler looking down at his boots, thanks. I can't see anything other than that now whenever I see that crest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Times have changed since when I was a kid. When I was a kid, and I mean like 5-9 years old, I was going with my Dad or my friend's Dad to Leafs games at night, wrestling matches at Maple Leaf Gardens & local arenas, crappy concerts at Ontario Place,etc.

Like, it's a Saturday night. When I was kid I would be fighting to stay out until 10pm or 11pm anyway and that was just me on the streets screwing around but this would be supervised with parents.
    I was the same. I just find their sleep gets so messed up with just one late night, it's not worth it. It is summer though, so probably will try to bring at least the older one to a couple of games. I do like evening games as a supporter, it's just the kids part that isn't ideal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad news

DCU starting GM & once our GM

Kevin Payne has died.

He really began the first dynasty in MLS with DCU.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to determine if this posting is from a legitimate source.
    Seems so; unless a fake/hacked account?
    Suggests the rumour that Landon Donovan & Co.'s San Diego Loyal are set to join MLS as soon as Y24?
    IIUC, this word has been on the street awhile.
    Seems this source is a Luca Bendoni.
    Seems Luca Bendoni is a novice yet currently part of GianLuca Di Marzio's team at Sky Sports Italy.
    Perhaps passed this tidbit to publish as a reward for his efforts?
    Believe it may have legs given that immediate connect to Gianluca Di Marzio; after all Fabrizio Romano is a disciple of his.
    Also...
    A internet poster indicates that SDL is showing up on the MLS Website.
    Though another explains that this non MLS team, as are others, is being included as Open Cup and CCL opponents.
    If what is being stated is accurate, I wonder what the expansion fee may be?
    Would their be a discount? Somewhat similar to David Beckham's situation?

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-28-2022 at 01:00 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too many teams, Americans (no disrespect to Americans, just reality) dont get it … this isn’t the top league in the world for its sport. It isn’t NHL, NBA, Hockey, MLBA, can’t keep adding. Not enough quality to support 32 teams without relegation/promotion, they are trying to milk the World Cup but going about it the wrong way.

Play each team once (Shield means something), maybe have a Continental Championship with Liga MX, Home & Away Playoffs and then when you do win something, you are rewarded. Same amount of games and gate revenues but build a real champion.

And have a second division and if you are shit, you go down. Make the first division worth something. And if an owner cant cut it…. Sucks to be them.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 12-27-2022 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Too many teams, Americans (no disrespect to Americans, just reality) dont get it … this isn’t the top league in the world for its sport. It isn’t NHL, NBA, Hockey, MLBA, can’t keep adding. Not enough quality to support 32 teams without relegation/promotion, they are trying to milk the World Cup but going about it the wrong way.

Play each team once (Shield means something), maybe have a Continental Championship with Liga MX, Home & Away Playoffs and then when you do win something, you are rewarded. Same amount of games and gate revenues but build a real champion.

And have a second division and if you are shit, you go down. Make the first division worth something. And if an owner cant cut it…. Sucks to be them.

We have to accept that since we play in a North American league the traditional American style professional sports structure will apply. There is no appetite amongst the franchise owners for promotion and relegation. It just won't happen.

You could however create a competition that comes close to having a balanced schedule. Assuming the league gets to 32 teams, have an east and west division of 16 teams each. Play every team in your division twice for a total of 30 games. This will both reduce travel costs and player fatigue and promote local rivalries. If you wanted to increase the schedule to 34 games then play 4 games against the other division on a rotating basis. At the end of the regular season the winner of the east and west earn a 1st round playoff bye, and instead play a one match play-off to determine the shield champion., before entering into the MLS Cup playoffs. This would encourage teams to treat the season with more importance with an opportunity to win an equally important championship.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^There is logic to what you are saying and I agree with you on the relegation aspect to North America. What they cannot do is repeat the mistakes of the past. The 16 team rotate is kewl with a winner take all … One Game Shield ✔️, Pass on the other division, until playoffs. I still think you get the extra gate games with the home and home, and maybe that is the benefit of making the top 8 in your division, and at least 9-16 aren’t relegated.

For the foreseeable future the LaLiga Tournament is on, so make it something worthwhile…. Club World Cup in addition to Champions League CWC entry as well.

Give North America something interesting to chase and aspire to in the playoffs without playing 80+ Games and lets try not to be the retirement league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Former Red Tsubasa Endoh has acute leukemia. I’m sure he would appreciate some supportive tweets from those with socials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Assuming the league gets to 32 teams, have an east and west division of 16 teams each. Play every team in your division twice for a total of 30 games.
    This is what I’m hoping for. Fill in cup ties and other games to make up the balance and ensure games like LA-NY / Van-TOR happen often.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Former Red Tsubasa Endoh has acute leukemia. I’m sure he would appreciate some supportive tweets from those with socials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is kind of interesting in view of what’s, so far, looking to be our wing dominant attack.

Joseph Lowrey:

“Where did all the wingers go?
    Quick, name a dominant goalscoring winger who played in MLS last year.
    Come on, what’s the holdup? Oh, that’s right. There really weren’t any dominant goalscoring wingers in MLS in 2022.
    In fact, the league’s entire winger pool had a tough time. According to Second Spectrum, open-play goals per 90 minutes, open-play expected goals per 90 minutes and average shot quality were all down for wingers in 2022 compared to the two previous seasons. Wingers only averaged 0.36 open-play goals per 90 in 2022, compared to 0.41 in 2021 and 0.53 in 2020. The xG numbers mirror those goalscoring stats almost exactly. And while there wasn’t a drastic decrease in shot quality, wingers averaged 0.10 xG per shot last year, compared to 0.11 in 2021 and 2020.
    There are a bunch of specific ways you can explain MLS’s lack of really dominant wingers. Carlos Vela is getting older. Toronto FC’s Italian stars didn’t get enough time to work their magic. Sporting Kansas City’s rough year in their 4-3-3 shape hurt their wingers.
    But the biggest reason MLS lacked big-time production from wingers last year is teams don’t spend big on in-prime wide attackers. Atlanta United’s Luiz Araujo is the biggest exception here, paying then-Ligue 1 champions Lille a reported $10 million back in the summer of 2021. There are other examples, of course (think Vela, Federico Bernardeschi, Lorenzo Insigne), but I’d argue those wingers are slightly past their prime. Teams are also investing in young wingers from South America, so maybe a highly-rated import (think NYCFC’s Talles Magno or FC Dallas’ Alan Velasco) will keep progressing to an elite level.
    But when you look at the other biggest incoming transfers in league history, you see a handful of No. 9s. You see a bunch of No. 10s. And you see more than a few halfspace merchants who split the difference between winger and No. 10 (think Atlanta’s Thiago Almada or Orlando’s Facundo Torres). From watching games and looking at how teams construct their rosters, it’s clear most MLS decision-makers prefer to fill the center of their attack with stars first before filling in the wide areas with functional players.
    Maybe if a team really wants to differentiate themselves in 2023, they’ll find a way to get a couple of pure wingers going.“

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/four-...022-mls-season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    That’s fucking awful. Didn’t Endoh encounter a major nuclear power malfunction when he was younger? Nuclear power and leukaemia go together like, well, like and death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Came across an interesting post.
    Is it accurate?
    Having trouble understanding.
    If so, then about a 20% chance?
    Suggests it is possible that TFC gets drawn into the CFM group for Leagues Cup 2023.
    That would be entertaining.

Translations...

'Here is the CF Montreal group for the Leagues Cup 2023.
    The 3rd club in the group will be drawn at random but should normally be one of the following: Toronto FC, DC United, Chicago, Atlanta or NE Revs.
    CF Montreal will host at least 2 games.'

'The 3rd is drawn randomly among the teams having finished between the 17th and 28th position in MLS, but are then distributed geographically.
    Each club plays 2 matches, then the top 2 qualify for the round of 16.
    No draw, even in groups.
    It starts July 21.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A statement worthy of attention?
    In part regards to what a few in the community are advocating as a clear and present issue.
    Involving prospect identification and development.
    I understand it was 'just' a Futsal event.
    Yet, I believe Futsal has been used as a progression tool to compliment traditional association football development.
    I suspect many professionals have participated in Futsal during the early periods of their careers.
    Though not sure of this specific entity's legitimacy within the Canadian Youth Soccer space spectrum.
    If this organization is simply trying to make some hay; offset a lack of proper promotion.
    Maybe an influencer attended?
    Still, if accurate, concerning and disappointing.
    An event in Toronto's- GTA backyard and a perception that no one was there from professional sports management? Including TFC/MLS!
    Imagine if that happened at an annual ice hockey prospects event.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-28-2022 at 12:39 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People, please pay attention to where you post things. Pele discussion belongs in the International Football section of the board. I've deleted the off-topic posts.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread closed for a new 2023 thread.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto