Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    FC Dallas and German Bundesliga side FC Augsburg are finalizing a club-record transfer for US men's national team forward Ricardo Pepi, sources confirmed to MLSsoccer.com.

The deal will be worth around $20 million plus add-ons, making him the most expensive outgoing MLS homegrown player – at least upfront – after Vancouver Whitecaps FC transferred Alphonso Davies to Bayern Munich in 2018.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/sources-fc-dallas-transferring-ricardo-pepi-to-augsburg-for-club-record-fee
    A move that surprised me, there were reports that Augsburg’s bid for Tajon Buchanan was in the 3-4 Mill range. Pepi is garnering 20 Mill.

As far as quality, is there that much of a difference between the two? I know Pepi is about 4years younger. i am surpised he opted for a club that is currently in the relagation zone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Free-kick View Post
    A move that surprised me, there were reports that Augsburg’s bid for Tajon Buchanan was in the 3-4 Mill range. Pepi is garnering 20 Mill.

As far as quality, is there that much of a difference between the two? I know Pepi is about 4years younger. i am surpised he opted for a club that is currently in the relagation zone.
    augsburg is owned by the same guy who just bought RSL.

deal to buy RSL from the league was approved under a week after the Pepi deal went through for a ridiculously inflated price.

make of that what you will.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Pepi deal is very weird. Extremely odd to see a relegation threatened minnow make that move - spending a shit ton like that, to give an 18 year old the job of keeping you up?

(Speaking as a CMNT fan, seeing as how Pepi is the first choice US striker, and there look like a lot of ways this can go badly, I am pleased.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Venezia is owned by american(s). And thats where Busio and Tessman landed. I am beginning to see a pattern here.

then again, Bologna is owned by Joey S but i am not seeing the same benfefits accruing to Canadian soccer players from that club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Free-kick View Post
    Venezia is owned by american(s). And thats where Busio and Tessman landed. I am beginning to see a pattern here.

then again, Bologna is owned by Joey S but i am not seeing the same benfefits accruing to Canadian soccer players from that club.
    Americans tend to prefer their own I’ve found. I guarantee Venezia does not have two teenage Americans if they weren’t American owned.

I think for Saputo he’d rather see a Canadian playing in Montreal than Italy otherwise Johnston might have moved to Bologna for a million instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    augsburg is owned by the same guy who just bought RSL.

deal to buy RSL from the league was approved under a week after the Pepi deal went through for a ridiculously inflated price.

make of that what you will.
    Not quite right. The 50 + 1 rule bars anyone from owning the majority of a Bundesliga team. There are no big money foreign owners as in England, France and Italy. he may be a minority owner.
    I think it's a good place for Pepi. They're a serious team, and he'll get playing time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    Not quite right. The 50 + 1 rule bars anyone from owning the majority of a Bundesliga team. There are no big money foreign owners as in England, France and Italy. he may be a minority owner.
    I think it's a good place for Pepi. They're a serious team, and he'll get playing time.
    he owns 45%, so about as close as you can get.

i dont think there's any debate about how ridiculous that fee is, if accurate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    he owns 45%, so about as close as you can get.

i dont think there's any debate about how ridiculous that fee is, if accurate.
    Thanks. That makes sense.
    BTW, we'll see on the fee. if he does well then he'll leave Augsburg for Bayern/Dortmund for 20-30m Euros and the fee will look like a deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The Pepi deal is very weird. Extremely odd to see a relegation threatened minnow make that move - spending a shit ton like that, to give an 18 year old the job of keeping you up?

(Speaking as a CMNT fan, seeing as how Pepi is the first choice US striker, and there look like a lot of ways this can go badly, I am pleased.)
    Perfect confluence for his agent: Augsburg are scoring less than a goal a game, multiple much bigger clubs were in on the bidding to drive up the value and Pepi had 13 goals as a pro at 18.

Unless he's been grossly overestimated, it's not crazy money in this era just because of his age. If he's regularly scoring 10-plus per season at 20, they'll get their money back and make some more on top.

If he contributes immediately, maybe he keeps them up. If he doesn't, he's developing at the 2.Bundesliga next season and is less likely to flame out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^If I were that kid's father I would have strongly advised my son to pick almost any other type of situation.

There is literally nothing as pressure filled and anti-thetical to the smart development of a young player as the one he is going into.

Pepi would have been better off at one of the teams that develop players, say Dortmund, or one of the 5-6 clubs in Portugal or Holland that are good at this.

All that without getting into why Augsburg would try to solve their desperate problem with someone not old enough to buy a drink, and at $20M, it's bad business for Augsburg if they get relegated.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-10-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^small factual correction, he can legally buy a drink in Germany ;-). But otherwise post well articulated.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    ^small factual correction, he can legally buy a drink in Germany ;-). But otherwise post well articulated.
    True, as he's over 18 he can buy any kind of drink in Germany.

He would only need to be 16 to buy some beer or wine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulido is likely to miss the season...vermes is in big trouble...likely gone if they dont get at least to conference finals...fans are sick of them underperforming in playoffs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chance to see Pepi's debut at Augsburg on Sunday morning at 9.30 on Sportsnet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    Chance to see Pepi's debut at Augsburg on Sunday morning at 9.30 on Sportsnet.

Thankfully I will be off of twitter at that point - all of US Soccer is going to be dissecting every time he touches the ball like its a freaking bible study of the words of Jesus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/1481940386100744193

Giovinco wants to head off to Timbers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thankfully I will be off of twitter at that point - all of US Soccer is going to be dissecting every time he touches the ball like its a freaking bible study of the words of Jesus.
    You don't wanna see a GIF showing Pepi make a 6 foot pass that a 9 year old should be able to make?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without having played a game in their history, Charlotte make a profit on sale

Charlotte FC transfer midfielder Riley McGree to Middlesbrough

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/1481940386100744193

Giovinco wants to head off to Timbers?
    I guess he is hoping they want to overpay for an aging DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Scoring machine, it seems. African heritage, raised in Brazil to a father playing pro in Brazil. Quite the pedigree.

EDIT: The kid is another Phonzie; 6'4 and built like a brick outhouse at 14.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/real-...in-mls-history
    Last edited by jloome; 01-14-2022 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.tudn.com/futbol/mls/la-s...se-figuras-mls

Nani signs with American-owned Venezia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's too bad Colorado drafted Canadian Mohamed Omar. We could've been one step closer to fully re-uniting the Berkshire High School 4x100 relay team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good piece on Ashtone, says he was basically left out at RSL due to international status but played well in the brief appearances he got.

https://www.rslsoapbox.com/2022/1/16...ashtone-morgan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.elperiodicodearagon.com/...-61662680.html

Midfielder we apparently tried to buy in 2019 is going to the Crew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Good piece on Ashtone, says he was basically left out at RSL due to international status but played well in the brief appearances he got.

https://www.rslsoapbox.com/2022/1/16...ashtone-morgan
    Are we ever going to get this resolved? It's so archaic, if US players are not considered foreigners then Canadian's should get the same treatment.

MLS should expand domestic status too all Concacaf nations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well how about bringing Morgan back he could add some experience depth on that left side off the bench and when needed when there are injuries .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Well how about bringing Morgan back he could add some experience depth on that left side off the bench and when needed when there are injuries .
    He actually opened a coffee shop in Toronto in the last year or so. Would be great to have him back on a vet minimum contract. Can maybe slot him into the coaching development program as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

onstad makes his first big move as segal gave him the funds to make a club record signing...big pressure on him now

Official: Houston Dynamo sign Sebastian Ferreira, break club record

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow dallas make jesus ferreira a dp

https://www.fcdallas.com/news/jesus-...dallas-history