Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day Voyageurs Final - TFC @ Club Foot Sunday Nov 21 1pm - Gotta shake you

to the Ground

For one last time this year

Have At It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know if there will potentially be a supporter's bus for this match?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Losing a cup final to Montreal would be the cherry on top of this feces sundae of a season. Let's go into next season on a high note.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to this. Should be able to make it down for the game if I can get tickets whenever they release them.

As a side note..any mention on when Last year's final is going to take place?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really too bad it won't be in Toronto, I was looking forward to one more game at BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO that's a total BS decision to award this final to Montreal to be played on their ground, just because they were the champs in 2019, and in 2020 the final was not played yet, when should have been easy win for TFC. TFC should have contested this decision!

A sane decision should have been to play it on a neutral ground, best about halfway between Toronto and Montreal, and that's in Ottawa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Losing a cup final to Montreal would be the cherry on top of this feces sundae of a season. Let's go into next season on a high note.
    Because it's played in Montreal, that outcome (to lose) is highly possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    IMO that's a total BS decision to award this final to Montreal to be played on their ground, just because they were the champs in 2019, and in 2020 the final was not played yet, when should have been easy win for TFC. TFC should have contested this decision!

A sane decision should have been to play it on a neutral ground, best about halfway between Toronto and Montreal, and that's in Ottawa.

It was a coin toss. So we lost I assume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, given the attendance in Toronto this season it's not really a surprise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Well, given the attendance in Toronto this season it's not really a surprise.
    This wasn't a decision based on attendance or anything else, it was a coin toss.

And I'm very thankful MLSE didn't force TFC season ticket holders to take the tickets for the rest of the season, like Montreal did; instead they let us opt-in per game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CorrwgBach View Post
    It was a coin toss. So we lost I assume.
    OK, thanks for this info, I had no idea about this.

But deciding on which team's home ground the final will be played by a cointoss?
    That's a BS move to me, and degrades this whole edition of Can Champs to Mickey Mouse level.

I mean on neutral ground right now these 2 teams are kinda evenly matched, but use a coin toss to make a clear fav the team which will have home advantage, and make the other one a clear underdog? WTF logic is in this on how to decide a final of a competition like this?
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-11-2021 at 08:26 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, thanks for this info, I had no idea about this.

But deciding on which team's home ground the final will be played by a cointoss?
    That's a BS move to me, and degrades this whole edition of Can Champs to Mickey Mouse level.

I mean on neutral ground right now these 2 teams are kinda evenly matched, but use a coin toss to make a clear fav the team which will have home advantage, and make the other one a clear underdog? WTF logic is in this on how to decide a final of a competition like this?
    how many people would show up to watch a V Cup final on a neutral ground?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    how many people would show up to watch a V Cup final on a neutral ground?
    Does not matter at all.
    I am talking here about the correctness and seriousness of the competition, which incorporates giving equal and fair chances to all participant teams all along the way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does not matter at all.
    I am talking here about the correctness and seriousness of the competition, which incorporates giving equal and fair chances to all participant teams all along the way.
    They should host it by all metrics anyway. They are the defending champs and were better in league play than us this season. If we hosted this then it would have been a farce. We did nothing to deserve to host anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They should host it by all metrics anyway. They are the defending champs and were better in league play than us this season. If we hosted this then it would have been a farce. We did nothing to deserve to host anything.
    They aren’t exactly the defending champs….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"They are the defending champs" ---> Are they?
    Last year they have not qualified for the final.
    Now, if they would have been qualified, and the final not disputed yet, as in our case, I would say that I can see the logic behind using a cointoss.

"were better in league play than us this season" ---> Does not matter at all, because that is another competition.
    "We did nothing to deserve to host anything" ---> Does not matter at all, because that is another competition (I assume you are talking about this year's TFC MLS performance).
    "We did nothing to deserve to host anything" ---> We did a lot more to deserve to be hosting, because in the semifinal we beat our opponent in 90 minutes, while Montreal needed endless penalties to qualify. (I assume you are talking about this year's TFC's and Montreal's Voyageurs performance).

Only way this final should have been decided by a cointoss, is if that procedure was planned and put into this year's competition rules BEFORE even the very first match of this competition's actual season was played. And even in that case I would say that is a BS rule, because it gives one of the finalist teams a big advantage, decided by absolutely nothing what they have done to be merited.

Let me put it this way:
    Do you believe a final's host would be decided this way in any of the world's top 15 footballing nation's any cup competitions? (Talking about Europe and South America, and they usually have 2 kinds of cups besides their multitiered regular championships.)
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-12-2021 at 05:54 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be real, the Canadian Championship is not a serious club competition, and the final venue is the least of it. There are only three teams seriously competing for it. It’s a project. Comparing it to any other country's competition is pointless. If not for the CCL spot it would be absolutely meaningless.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weren't both the semi final venues decided by a cointoss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    weren't both the semi final venues decided by a cointoss?
    They are. No matter what happened pockets of either fanbase were gonna be upset. I agree with some that it should be on a neutral ground, but attendance is gonna be an issue in that case. You might be able to do a Montreal/TFC final here in Nova Scotia at Wanderers Ground once or twice and pack it based on the novelty. Can you image the attendance for that matchup in BC Place though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll never happen because the country is so big and money drives everything but I like the idea of working towards a post 2026 National Stadium concept where all of the important games are held there ... Canadian Championship, Internationals etc. Even the youth National Championships should be held there and BMO is the obvious choice. They built it as the National Stadium so now I think it's time to use 2026 to take it to the next level. Renovate it with that purpose in mind and make it the Canadian Wembley or Hampden Park, a place where everybody wants to play. History isn't made in a day but if we're ever going to take the game to the next level as the Canadian Men's team is trying to do right now we need a place where everyone wants to play. Fund the Canadian Championship properly to pay for any finalist to get there and work towards making it a bigger event. Get more teams into the competition with the possibility of TFC, Montreal or Vancouver playing in a tiny stadium. It might not sell a lot of tickets but it might get a young Phonzie wannabe in a rural area interested in the game ... All these years later and I still remember the feeling I got walking into Hampden Park to watch Scotland play England as a kid. As an adult I still remember the feeling of going back there in 1987 to watch St Mirren beat Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup Final. We don't have that sort of place here. We need that kind of place here.
    Last edited by buddies; 11-14-2021 at 01:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small towns have that sort of place for their local finals in various sports. High school finals played at a cerrtain stadium etc.

I remember playing a youth age league final at a certain ground in my home town that you only ever played on if you made it to that finals day - it was a big thing for us the one year I went.

The country is too big to make that sort of a thing doable at the national level.

Going to a Wembley or Going to a Hampden or to any other national stadium makes sense in a small country. Here, its just not cost effective. The only sporting event I know like that in North America is little league baseball & TV pays for all of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got our tickets in section 112!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we think our FO and MLSE are terrible for being just inept.

https://www.danslescoulisses.com/joe...ux-etats-unis/

Crazy Joey threatens to move the team to the US because the supporters are boycotting until he returns the name to The Impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy Joey threatens to move the team to the US because the supporters are boycotting until he returns the name to The Impact.
    That’s nuts as no one likes the new name. The Impact name dates back to the early 90s and they erased the history of the club.

All the recent mls rebrands have not gone over well with their supporters (Chicago, Columbus and Montreal).
    Last edited by benito; 11-18-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    That’s nuts as no one likes the new name. The Impact name dates back to the early 90s and they erased the history of the club.

All the recent mls rebrands have not gone over well with their supporters (Chicago, Columbus and Montreal).
    I'd just like to thank Joey for meeting with, and shitting upon, his terrible club's fanbase days before a cup final. Cheers mate! Any distraction greatly welcomed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post

You can even go back to storied NASL era teams like the Whitecaps for a brief while calling themselves the '86ers. So inept a decision. It's only really stupid names like the "KC Wizards" that demand a complete rebrand.
    If Joey wanted an update he could have just called them C.F. Montreal Impact.

Threatening to move to the US is a really low blow (although it's a bit vague if he is threatening that talking about their "future in Montreal"). Montrealers are still in PTSD from the Montreal Expos moving south, you'll still see people in Montreal wearing Expos caps to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd just like to thank Joey for meeting with, and shitting upon, his terrible club's fanbase days before a cup final. Cheers mate! Any distraction greatly welcomed.
    We can send him our thanks after TFC wins the Cup yet once again. Maybe get everyone to sign a card, lol.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-20-2021 at 03:28 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Joey was talking tough to the audience he was facing. If the Toronto incident and the league fallout from it is causing issues drawing a line with a portion of the fan base isn’t the worst idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this only on One?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Is this only on One?
    Yes. All CCL and Canadian Championship matches are only one One Soccer.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yes. All CCL and Canadian Championship matches are only one One Soccer.
    It’s too bad a network couldn’t step up and share coverage with One the way they do for the CMNT now. Hopefully the bandwagon spill over reaches the Voyageurs next year