Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    and that goal he scored today a usl player isnt scoring
    That goal today Bobby Wood isn't usually scoring, or about 90% of the strikers in football, 90% of the time. It was a side foot chip, incredibly lucky.

He was pretty prolific when he was younger. He may have stuck in Germany for his all around play but at one point he was a 17-goal scorer, which is why he got the look. After he cooled off, he became a bench player, a substitute who rarely starts, and that includes in the second division in Germany.

Also, don't sell the USL too short. At one point Christian Ramirez and Chris Wondolowski were both plying their trade at that level (Wondo was actually NPSL, which was even lower) because they couldn't get a sniff in MLS. I'd take either of them over Bobby Wood six ways to Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only had one season of ten goals or above in the league and it was that season...was there before and after...lol when its to fit an argument its incredibly lucky...right...ramirez and wondolowski were there in their early or college years...never looked back after that...now in penalties...wow nashville miss their first three

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh my zimmerman missed the fourth and philly advances...did they practice kicks enough??? think the answer is clear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only had one season of ten goals or above in the league and it was that season...was there before and after...lol when its to fit an argument its incredibly lucky...right...ramirez and wondolowski were there in their early or college years...never looked back after that...now in penalties...wow nashville miss their first three
    They both spent a full season at that level but your argument was that no one in the USL could finish like that, not "no USL lifer" could finish it. But I guess that's different "when it fits an argument."

Bobby Wood is a washed up b-grade striker. US Nats fans have been arguing that for years, and they're right.

If it wasn't "incredibly lucky" and he's a lethal finisher, perhaps you can explain how he had three goals in 19 appearances this season... or one fewer than Jozy, who has barely played. But hey... when it fits an argument...

Also, all but two of those seasons were in the 2.Bundesliga, not the Bundesliga. In the Bundesliga, he had seven goals in 52 games. But I guess all that other stuff he was doing made up for the lack of scoring.

Over-rated, then injured and lost a gear, now a backup in Salt Lake. But he meant to pick out that corner, side foot, at speed, from an acute angle wide of the post, without any help from luck whatsoever.

Sure.

He's an Ali Curtis DP or TAM deal in waiting.
    Last edited by jloome; 11-28-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

except hes already on dp or tam level money...and just showed why putting his team in the conference final

so it will be the winner of new england vs nycfc facing philadelphia in the east and portland vs rsl in the west

next game is new england vs nycfc tuesday night

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NER finally plays a playoff game tonight - that situation is just ridiculous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i'm surprised this wasn't actually the first conference semi-final played this round. why have them the last to play and two days after all the others. I mean to that point they also haven't kicked a ball in over 3 weeks, so the rest is good, but no games is going to be a big disadvantage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something about the playoffs just feels completely off. I don’t know if it's this absurd scheduling, or RSL, or Philly getting through two games on PKs… none of it seems like growth or progress, it all feels very 2008.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Something about the playoffs just feels completely off. I don’t know if it's this absurd scheduling, or RSL, or Philly getting through two games on PKs… none of it seems like growth or progress, it all feels very 2008.
    The scheduling doesn't help. Kills the momentum. Playoffs are suppose to be a sprint to the finish. This feels like a light jog. Plus the games are shit. So it feels even longer

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the home/away format is being missed. If I recall correctly, this is only the third year since the format change and last year was a mess in general, so we are only really feeling it now. I would be okay with few teams making the playoffs and going back to the 2-leg format.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes... it's almost as if cup brackets should start earlier in the year, be separate from the league and not be how they pick a winner versus a grueling 34 game schedule or something.

Perhaps, one day, a league somewhere will figure out how to hold a cup competition that matters simultaneous to the season and reward the season winner as the actual deserving winner.

Crazy talk.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yes... it's almost as if cup brackets should start earlier in the year, be separate from the league and not be how they pick a winner versus a grueling 34 game schedule or something.

Perhaps, one day, a league somewhere will figure out how to hold a cup competition that matters simultaneous to the season and reward the season winner as the actual deserving winner.

Crazy talk.
    Hot take - not thought through at all, but:

Maybe the Season rewards you the Supporters Shield and a spot in the MLS Cup Final. You play against the winner of the Cup Tournament (or 2nd place team if you also win the Cup Tournament as well)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that idea except how does the SS winner stay in game shape waiting for the tournament winner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or MLS adopts an actual MLB, Liga Mx, style playoff that is actually the best-of-the-best and stopped including half the league and a large number of teams who realistically shouldn’t be there.

I’m not a huge fan of the slow burn of league play producing a champion, often in fairly anticlimactic fashion. But this isn’t the way to do things either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like what Belgium does where they take the top four teams from the regular season to the playoffs. Regular season points are cut in half and each team plays a home and away game against the other playoff teams and they add those points to the halved regular season points. Places value on the regular season, but also highly values how you perform against the other top teams in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1-1 after ten minutes with tajon starting...its a good one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    The scheduling doesn't help. Kills the momentum. Playoffs are suppose to be a sprint to the finish. This feels like a light jog. Plus the games are shit. So it feels even longer
    Games are shit , are you even watching ? Probably not , yes I want the two leg playoff format back , the best team usually wins in a two legged format , but the games have not been shit .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new england sleeping and nyc getting very close

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time for subs for new england...still none after 85

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

johnson close to making a blunder late

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

going to extra time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nyc score at the 109th minute...no surprise...arena gotta send on any offensive players he has...bunbury boatend send them on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol castellanos gets a second yellow and will miss the conference final if they advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nyc score at the 109th minute...no surprise...arena gotta send on any offensive players he has...bunbury boatend send them on
    indeed both come on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol castellanos gets a second yellow and will miss the conference final if they advance
    And Tajon makes them pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tajon does it 2-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow great job tajon

Mentioned