Page 94 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 5705
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we “need” a fullback? Can't we go with Lawrence on the left and Auro on the right?

(I certainly understand an “upgrade” conversation, re Auro particularly.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need player to develop at lb or rb and an mls journey man for depth (I would convert shaff to lb personally) make him into the new Richie with his speed and the space Insinge will create

major needs 1-2 cb and a 9 that can score 15 plus goals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Remaining priorities for the off season:

Sign a cornerstone CB

Move Jozy and sign a forward

Need a replacement for Richie at Fullback - I would also look at Abzi and Mo Farsi from the CPL for fullback depth. It will be interesting to see if Kemar Lawrence is better next year, he wasnt great this year, but no one was.

Need additional defensive depth - Lukas McNaughton from Pacific FC rumoured to be on the way

Resign Ayo Akinola (rumoured to be close)
    One priority I'll add is clarifying Pozuelo's contract situation. Ideally we don't run into a situation where his contract runs out and he leaves for nothing. Giving him an extension for a year or two would provide some continuity to the team and let him develop a partnership with Insigne.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    They need player to develop at lb or rb and an mls journey man for depth (I would convert shaff to lb personally) make him into the new Richie with his speed and the space Insinge will create

Yup.

Like the Shaff idea.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not that Manning used Transfermarkt but the statement around that that is surprising. The quote seems to say that a board meeting was coming up, Italians in T.O.were following the cup run so he decided to go Italian. So good thing North Macedonia wasn’t on a Cinderella run at the Euro.

It worked out amazingly, we get a fantastic player, Manning deserves credit for pulling it off but it is an absurd genesis for club building at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Do we “need” a fullback? Can't we go with Lawrence on the left and Auro on the right?

One injury and who are you starting as fullback?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of fullback. We have reportedly signed Kobe Franklin and Luca Petrasso, to go along with Kemar and Auro. I'm good with those two as starters. I'd say we need a 5th player who can be depth such as an Ashtone Morgan type. If we do continue with the 3 at the back, probably should get a left sided player as Kemar is better suited for LCB than LWB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaffleberg! (see above)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really like petrasso and franklin,i think they can play a bit,not starters maybe #4 and 5 on the fullback chart

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Manning deserves credit for pulling it off but it is an absurd genesis for club building at the same time.
    It's only absurd if your only goal is the best team possible.

If you are Manning, your job involves building a good team, but also marketing is part of the job description. In that case his approach totally makes sense.

Those of us who are long time residents in the GTA have been saying for years that TFC needs at least an Italian player or two because we see the passion in the local Italian community, and what a better way to have more people follow our local club? Manning as an American just learned this recently.

The Toronto Egyptian community is equally stoked over Bradley taking over as coach. The work he did with the Pharoes is legendary.

It makes sense to make contact with as many communities as possible.

All for One.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm pretty sure Curtis' dysfunction was in communication capability. I note that Manning immediately went to D'Amico back in September & got local knowledge & experience to seal this deal - probable lesson learned from Belgium.

How Manning landed on his target list is not as important to me as that the signing happened.
    I never thought Manning was the main problem. Sure he's made mistakes like hiring Curtis and Jozy deal but also proved himself on other occasions. Have to give him big credit for landing this deal and getting MLSE to buy into his 5 year plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Sports has Shaff listed as #2 when you go to buy a TFC jersey. Obviously jersey numbers do not mean what they used to and that is hardly a confirmation, but that is a fullback number. Maybe BB has already told him about a possible position change.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 01-08-2022 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I was really glad to see on the Facebook and Instagram pages is I think I only saw one comment where someone was bashing TFC for letting Laryea leave. 99% of people seemed to understand that this was a positive move and we let him leave to grow and follow his dream.

I was expecting to see a bunch of casuals complaining like when Marcus Semien left the Jays as a free agent for a crazy amount of money complaining that the team was cheap for not overpaying him til hes 40 (even though it was confirmed that the Jays still offered him a long term deal with a high AAV). I guess that's the benefit of being more of a niche fanbase compared to baseball, fans actually are more informed. (Granted there are far too many of the Giovinco stans who think a 36 year old Giovinco is going to light up the league, so I guess we do have those type of casuals, they just didn't come out here with a dumb comment)
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-08-2022 at 07:58 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post

Since the first time I saw Shaff play I thought he had the qualities of a future LB. Why cant we turn him into one like Ritchie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like shaff has a left back also.but he doesnt have the tricks richie has.more a run and cross guy,he is pretty predicable in the final third so far,but he is young

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Manning in his TSN interview dropped some information that they are looking to sign a CMNT player. Do we think that's Borjan? Could it be someone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's only absurd if your only goal is the best team possible.

If you are Manning, your job involves building a good team, but also marketing is part of the job description. In that case his approach totally makes sense.

Those of us who are long time residents in the GTA have been saying for years that TFC needs at least an Italian player or two because we see the passion in the local Italian community, and what a better way to have more people follow our local club? Manning as an American just learned this recently.

The Toronto Egyptian community is equally stoked over Bradley taking over as coach. The work he did with the Pharoes is legendary.

It makes sense to make contact with as many communities as possible.

All for One.
    From a marketing point its brilliant, I’m not Italian but can’t wait to see LI at a packed BMO, and as a strategy it can’t be any worse than the Winter’s three pillars or Curtis’ Binder but in terms of club identity or philosophy? How can you run an academy, plot its course when your plan starts the way Manning stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Manning in his TSN interview dropped some information that they are looking to sign a CMNT player. Do we think that's Borjan? Could it be someone else?
    Henry and Vitoria come to mind. In Henry's case it isn't in a good way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoilett could also be a potential option. Has played a bit on the right for Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i really like petrasso and franklin,i think they can play a bit,not starters maybe #4 and 5 on the fullback chart
    They were both so consistent last year at TFC II it would be a mistake to not give them a chance to compete. But Bradley has a rep as a developer of youth, so I imagine they'll get some time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

borjan

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i like shaff has a left back also.but he doesnt have the tricks richie has.more a run and cross guy,he is pretty predicable in the final third so far,but he is young
    He did remind me of a Morrow type player

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark horse idea: I would bet money that BB wants MAK back.

Colorado has an overloaded MF if they don't sell Cole Bassett… but this may only make sense if Poz isn’t returning. (The poster above who reminded us that Poz is going into a contract year, yup, that is a big thing beneath the surface.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reading a Doyle col and apparently Bradley plays a 433 pretty much all the time, so an active fullback, which is what those two basically are, more than wingbacks. They can get upfield and overlap if necessary but it's not their strength.

I don't think it's a priority to get another when we've got two youths in wait, Shaff in for possibly playing it on the left. And they'll probably want JMR to get minutes towards his work permit appeal on the right, with both Arsenal and Liverpool apparently trialing him as a wingback.

Colorado has an overloaded MF if they don't sell Cole Bassett… but this may only make sense if Poz isn’t returning. (The poster above who reminded us that Poz is going into a contract year, yup, that is a big thing beneath the surface.)
    A piece yesterday suggested the reason James Sands was an 18-month-loan-to-buy with Rangers was because Euro clubs are leery of him and Bassett and whether they can adapt there. Bassett had a chance to move already and turned it down to play another season in Colorado, which probably made him look gunshy and unready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rapids did just trade a ton of GAM for Kaye. I can't see Fraser wanting to part with him 6 months after acquiring him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Databases are part of every job. I am sure TFC are on this site and many others hundreds of times a day. Of course all MLS Personnel use sites like this to look stuff up.

It is about how Manning said he was using the data. Scrubbing databases isn’t a serious person's expectation of how “idea generation” should work for major investment decisions of this kind.

(OK done for now on this, for real. Except to point out that now we know how we wound up with Soteldo, a player whose style very clearly conflicted with Poz, as many on here talked about from day one. But hey, he was a top player, people seem to like him, we had the money, and he was on the transfermarkt list we did…)
    “A serious person” would expect this to be done differently? (I believe that’s the statement you’re making?)

Completely disagree with this as it implies Manning doesn’t know anything. With the situation we’re in, horrible season, new coach, near complete rebuild, to me he’s taken a perfectly reasonable and serious approach. If it’s a clean slate and you want to build a new team, you’re not going to waste time looking for the ideal player based on numerous soccer metrics. You go out and determine who can be enticed by a move here and who can be acquired without a major transfer fee. If you can land that big fish, now you switch towards more strategic review of what other players would fit well with this new key player.

On the flip side if you’re part of a budget conscience team then I can see where you’re approach may be more acceptable, as you’d never even take a chance on a elite player.

All this to say, let’s move on from bashing Manning, as he literally just landed Insigne who is arguably the biggest signing in league history. Positive vibes guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see anything wrong with the checking of transfrmarkt. It's not like Manning used it as gospel. He probably checked it, then got D'Amico to confirm that Insigne's contract was expiring and then moved from there. Transfrmarkt obviously isn't perfect (I've found a few errors on it), but it's still pretty good.

Remember soccer is different than the other sports (NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL/CFL). All those leagues probably have a central database where teams can check on the status of other teams contracts (length and amount). Those teams basically only deal with players from their own leagues (NHL and NBA deal a bit with Europe, but mostly still intra-league). Soccer by its nature as an international sport with multiple leagues in basically every country, it's impossible to have a central database for the hundreds of thousands of players. Manning probably only has access to MLS contracts. Everything else involves research, talking to agents, etc.
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-08-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would not be opposed to a Lawrence-Criscito-Henry-Auro backline.

@ensco How should “idea generation” have been done then?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have no idea if he'd be willing to come back to MLS, but if they're looking at canmnt players then surely larin would be the perfect DP striker.

out of contract in june, on fairly meagre wages for a UCL striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Estaquio