Page 7 of 191 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gio’s agent at the Raptors game today. Can’t tell if there’s a bald man sitting next to him…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco has an Instagram post saying he’s “ back home”. Likes from various TFC players.

it sounds as if this deal is about to be done. If he’s coming in on a Bradley salary I don’t have any issues but we need much more than a 34 yr old Seba right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't make that deal official until the new allocation order comes out in January & then will have to announce what/who is going to Carolina as compensation first.

All this could be worked out but the league ain't gonna allow such a move until then.

&

To be blunt, using up our 3rd in line allocation order placement on Seba is a waste of a good resource.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Can't make that deal official until the new allocation order comes out in January & then will have to announce what/who is going to Carolina as compensation first.

All this could be worked out but the league ain't gonna allow such a move until then.

&

To be blunt, using up our 3rd in line allocation order placement on Seba is a waste of a good resource.

I'll play devil's advocate on this and say Seba still has playing value.

There's an analysis on line of him as an all-around attacker over the last few years at Al Hilal, and his average of three goals and four assists per 20 games was efficiently done.

Now, Saudi defense probably ain't the hottest, but given his actual playing time there, which was divided among a large squad, he contributed continually.

"The former MLS star Sebastian Giovinco
    (34, Italy) of Al Hilal stands out as a great creator. His 0.5 xA per 90 are unrivalled and he also ranks very well in key passes with 1.05 per 90. "

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/da...sis-statistics

Having said all that, 16 goals and 19 assists in 83 games is less than half the productivity he showed as a DP here. So very much a role player, not a full-time first teamer. Piatti light, I'd say (and I'm still puzzled why we gave up Pablo Piatto on a TAM deal, an above-average producer).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

I'll play devil's advocate on this and say Seba still has playing value.

There's an analysis on line of him as an all-around attacker over the last few years at Al Hilal, and his average of three goals and four assists per 20 games was efficiently done.

Now, Saudi defense probably ain't the hottest, but given his actual playing time there, which was divided among a large squad, he contributed continually.

"The former MLS star Sebastian Giovinco
    (34, Italy) of Al Hilal stands out as a great creator. His 0.5 xA per 90 are unrivalled and he also ranks very well in key passes with 1.05 per 90. "

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/da...sis-statistics

Having said all that, 16 goals and 19 assists in 83 games is less than half the productivity he showed as a DP here. So very much a role player, not a full-time first teamer. Piatti light, I'd say (and I'm still puzzled why we gave up Pablo Piatto on a TAM deal, an above-average producer).

Why did we give up Pablo Piatti?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Why did we give up Pablo Piatti?
    He was on $1.5M and we wanted to pay him less. We wanted to bring in a higher end DP (Soteldo in this case) and didn’t have enough TAM/GAM remaining to keep Piatti on a similar level salary as he was on in 2020. He was able to return to Spain and I imagine getting more than we could offer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gio back, eh?

We don't yet know how they'll get out of Altidore's contract.

Bradley will still want to be captain under his dad.

I thought we need new fitness guys, and a sports psychologist, but our needs may have changed. Does anyone know a good sports geriatrician?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m guessing Gio coming back means they will keep Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m in Edmonton and am staying at the same hotel as a number of reporters. Overhead two this morning say “even if he does, will Bill want to hold onto him?” Interpret that how you will, I have no further context.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    He was on $1.5M and we wanted to pay him less. We wanted to bring in a higher end DP (Soteldo in this case) and didn’t have enough TAM/GAM remaining to keep Piatti on a similar level salary as he was on in 2020. He was able to return to Spain and I imagine getting more than we could offer.
    He was likely a better fit than Soteldo even if not being the player Soteldo is and might be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m in Edmonton and am staying at the same hotel as a number of reporters. Overhead two this morning say “even if he does, will Bill want to hold onto him?” Interpret that how you will, I have no further context.
    Wins? Apologizes? Passes a fitness test? Completes a major signing?????

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I thought we need new fitness guys, and a sports psychologist, but our needs may have changed. Does anyone know a good sports geriatrician?
    No joke, I'd look in Italy, apparently there is some expertise there in how to keep older players fit.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was likely a better fit than Soteldo even if not being the player Soteldo is and might be.
    Agreed. Soteldo is probably a higher end DP with better sell on potential, but Piatti probably a better fit for TFC.

Wins? Apologizes? Passes a fitness test? Completes a major signing?????
    The options are endless. Could even be about their fantasy football league!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar's on an option year, right? Might be whether he re-signs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I visit this thread hoping for news that Manning and Curtis are gone. Until then I don't expect any positive roster moves. We have spun back into the Mariner, Cochrane, Anselmi dark days of complete ineptitude. Until they are all gone there's no hope.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    I visit this thread hoping for news that Manning and Curtis are gone. Until then I don't expect any positive roster moves. We have spun back into the Mariner, Cochrane, Anselmi dark days of complete ineptitude. Until they are all gone there's no hope.
    Agreed, was going to go to Montreal hoping Curtis was gone but with this carefree everything is fine mode, we are getting Insigne, Gio’s back etc. They aren’t getting my money and time. This was the single worst year of any Toronto sports team I have seen and I have seen plenty of bad ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post

WOW... it is sad, but if you're waiting for BOTH of them to be gone, you should come back to this thread just a year from now.
    Curtis may be or may be not gone in the next 4 weeks or so, but being a bettor guy, I would put everything I own plus I would even take out a massive loan to wager on that Manning will be still here in April 2022. Even if TFC will lose the Voyageurs final.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-15-2021 at 05:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team is dying for a new defense yet were going after ageing wingers. Clowns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely gave off the impression of being a bit more focused and/or humble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This team is dying for a new defense yet were going after ageing wingers. Clowns.
    Defenders don't sell season's memberships. That's the most important thing now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Defenders don't sell season's memberships. That's the most important thing now.
    Neither does finishing at the bottom of the table though....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Curtis's covid excuses don't hold any weight when you consider Montreal and Vancouver were both in the same boat and Vancouver made the playoffs, Montreal barely missed and we weren't even close
    You gotta stop using MTL and VAN as examples of good management. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Neither does finishing at the bottom of the table though....
    No but at this point of the season it's about selling hope and "entertainment". Signings to attract a certain ethnic group is also a solid technique that they're banking on.

Rumored so far in this demographic have been Insigne at forward & Chelini at defense. Which would sell more memberships? Which will cause the media stir that they long for? That's all they care about for now and showing ambition will help sell the hope that next year we'll right the ship and get back to having some success.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 11-15-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No but at this point of the season it's about selling hope and "entertainment". Signings to attract a certain ethnic group is also a solid technique that they're banking on.

Rumored so far in this demographic have been Insigne at forward & Chelini at defense. Which would sell more memberships? Which will cause the media stir that they long for? That's all they care about for now and showing ambition will help sell the hope that next year we'll right the ship and get back to having some success.
    Chiellini has been rumored?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I get that and the short sighted view that they could possibly have but you can't outscore a bad defence and any flashy star you bring in to sell shirts won't sell memberships for more than one year if it fails miserably and we end up bottom of the table again. They need to play the long game here if they want to be successful again and have multiyear success. I am not saying get a DP CB or anything but we can't have another year where our actual contracted and healthy CB like Zavs sits on the bench while Bradley fills in on CB because we have nothing else. As long as they don't ignore our defence I say go ahead with whatever flash they want to bring in to sell memberships as long as they are not toxic to the rest of the team. I watch Napoli every week for years and I have to say I can't see Insigne being happy here though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I watch Napoli every week for years and I have to say I can't see Insigne being happy here though.
    I doubt he would be either. Another Solteldo. I personally don't want Insigne, I would rather us target younger players who will buy in better but they don't sell tickets.

As for the defense:

I am sure Curtis is thinking "No worries Billy, you get the star DP and I will get us the defenders we need to get us back to the top!"

"2 weeks" pass and nothing is done. Curtis re-signs Zavaleta & Gonzalez and says continuity is important for roster development and the chance to have two current and former international players with experience is better than what was available in the "Covid" market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the original Giovinco signing was pretty amazing DP signing that is hard for the club to replicate. He improved the team performance and scored a bunch of goals as well as sold tickets and made the club more marketable.

Many of the MLS DPs don’t succeed in both areas. They either are marketing exercises or improve team performance but not both. He was very special at that time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    I think the original Giovinco signing was pretty amazing DP signing that is hard for the club to replicate. He improved the team performance and scored a bunch of goals as well as sold tickets and made the club more marketable.

Many of the MLS DPs don’t succeed in both areas. They either are marketing exercises or improve team performance but not both. He was very special at that time.
    I don't think the Pozuelo signing gets enough credit. I think not playing 2020 at home really diminished what this guy did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Giovinco is brought in he will be 35 at the start of next season and will not of played a game in over 8 months.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to purge all thoughts of what 2017 was from this team.

Don't purge the people as they are now.

Just purge the idea we are getting back to that with any players from that group being now in the form they were then.

Like, seriously, the only guy still with the team who is better now than they were then is Oso.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-15-2021 at 03:49 PM.