Page 65 of 191 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    but Masai definitely knows soccer.
    Maybe best to get it straight from the horse's mouth. On August 18 at his presser, Masai, when asked about what his new "Vice-Chairman" title meant, made it pretty clear there have been conversations about his getting involved with TFC. You can see/hear for yourself in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGGztfHOvc - The relevant part of the video is from 27:12 to 28:21[/QUOTE]

During Rogers’ Succession battle it was reported that several English PL teams tried to lure Masai there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes indeed. I think that was what in part prompted the question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Thank you! I couldn't find that at the time...
    No worries. I thought it was the most interesting comment of the entire presser. Curiously, not one of the print/web journos picked up on it, or at least found it worthy of mention. I'm glad I remembered he said this because if you google the keywords "masai" and "soccer" the only thing you'll find is a quote where he says he considers himself to have been more talented at soccer than basketball. I know we all lament the "why can't we be great" days of Tim L and the bold transactions he pulled off. But is it possible there is a new visionary force at work already. Someone not named Manning who can get Larry T passionate about a grand ambition. Someone well-versed in pulling off massive coups, taking risks, winning championships, and global branding. I dunno, but maybe. And as Canary10 reminds us, the Premier League was definitely sniffing around when it looked like Masai might be in play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy New Years everyone!!!

here’s to hopefully a normal 2022 and TFC being back in conversation for the cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy New Year to all my fellow TFC supporters on this forum. It looks like 2022 is shaping up to be a much better year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy new year to everyone and looking forward to supporting TFC at BMO in 2022!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna be a good year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Criscito reportedly offered 3m a year?! Get these guys some water they’re drunk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Criscito reportedly offered 3m a year?! Get these guys some water they’re drunk
    As long as it isn't as a DP I don't really care how much they spend.

From a fan's point of view, I only care about the roster spot, not how much they spend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way Criscito is a DP. I think they are banking on a bunch of GAM from Soteldo and JMR's transfer fees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

From a fan's point of view, I only care about the roster spot, not how much they spend.
    At 3m a year you have to be a DP. This is dumb. I actually hope the league vetoes Criscito as a DP it’s so absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Gonna be a good year.

deal between the 2 teams?
    he is a FA in june unless they trying to get a early release with a transfer fee

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    deal between the 2 teams?
    he is a FA in june unless they trying to get a early release with a transfer fee
    I'm still not convinced this is happening and I feel like in the end we will have been used pretty hard for him to get a bigger deal elsewhere (see Kawhi 2019). And to say he's coming in January seems even more crazy considering Napoli are in 3rd.

But let's have some fun with it. (everything i'm about to type is fantasy, BUT, could actually be reasons as to why he'd consider coming here in January)

I can only assume Insigne is more concerned about life outside of football / time with his family. I mean moving to MLS is about lifestyle change. Let's be real. the football is still competitive on the world scale, but it's not top flight.
    So maybe playing out the full season at Napoli is not even a concern for him. He may be ready to transition now to get the next phase of his life rolling.
    Maybe he wants to settle in to the city and club over the first half of the year and establish a foundation so that once school ends in June, he brings the family over for the summer and then his kids can start school in September.
    This is all assuming that he spoke to Giovinco and his family and want to replicate that experience.

Another angle as to why he would come in January and this one is gangster/political:
    Maybe he is willing to take a hit and do his current club a huge favour. A thank you gift to help them in this transfer window. Napoli are going to lose him on the free in the summer so maybe he does them a solid by agreeing to leave early so that Napoli gets a transfer fee out of it. He helps out the club, maybe the italian FA is happy about one of their clubs getting an injection of cash and his place on the NT isn't as over as people may think.

Again this all seems crazy considering their position in the table. But I haven't been following Serie A this year to know how ingrained he is to their current success.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 12-31-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any word on if we're actually moving Soteldo for Nestor?

Because honestly Soteldo on one wing and Insgine on the other could be close to Vela-De Rossi level. With Peruzza/Akinola at striker and Pozuelo putting in balls... wow that would be some type of offence.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy new year everybody

Here's to a good year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    At 3m a year you have to be a DP. This is dumb. I actually hope the league vetoes Criscito as a DP it’s so absurd.
    I think we need a DP CB, but yeah, not a 35 year old one. But if they can bring this guy in with GAM/TAM/SPAM or whatever I'd be fine with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How often has Criscito played centreback over the last 15 years? Was he playing there in Petersburg?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really enjoying the thread now. A lot of good thinking and much better than the bare knuckle fight a few days ago, lol.

Tbh though I'm a little taken aback by the over the top effusive praise for one of our contributors. Niceness to that degree on a football supporters site... is unsettling.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Happy New Year… So that’s why I think, get ready for it, both Altidore and Giovinco are still within the realm of probability considerations with take it or leave it proviso scenarios. Maybe just Altidore now since Giovinco cannot keep quiet. Why and how? In a value-add sense. I believe they still have marketability and can contribute on the field. I believe, Vazquez signed with LAG for around 500K USD; a reference and metric. With the first firm non-negotiable proviso being that these two candidates would re-sign/sign for between 500K to 750K each and no more; the project is feasible and workable. …

In the end, if allowed, a proposed buy out of what is owing, minus the amount for this season’s re-signing would be an ideal option as the way forward. Giovinco’s stumbling block, aside from his words, may be any added cost due to any allocation order for his re-entry into MLS.
    You may be on to something here. Can Altidore be bought out and then boomerang right back on a new one year deal? Is that allowed? BB knows and likes him, they have a lot of history…

Gio, I think there's no way TFC would do that for a number of reasons now, especially if Insigne comes. It would be Insigne's team, Seba doesn’t know how to be anything other than top dog. Especially here. I think Seba goes to Columbus in March for $500K, or something like that.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-01-2022 at 08:43 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely that's not allowed or Miami would have tried it, and found a way to fuck it up, already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With first kick set for Feb 26 and decision day Oct 9 it sounds like TFC and Napoli have a lot to talk about. I'd be disappointed if all we see this year is 8-10 weeks from Insigne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Premier League: Saturday January 1, 2022
    EFL: Saturday January 1, 2022
    Scotland: Saturday January 1, 2022
    Bundesliga: Saturday January 1, 2022
    Serie A: Saturday January 1, 2022
    La Liga: Monday January 3, 2022
    Ligue 1: Monday January 3, 2022
    Those dates are when teams in those leagues can register players, not when we can sign from their leagues. You can sign a player on a transfer when your window is open even if the other team's window is closed (recall the Pozuelo saga - that's why Genk was so upset, because their window was closed (ours wasn't) and they wouldn't be able to replace him).

So for example, a Serie A team can sign anyone beginning today, while La Liga teams need to wait for the 3rd. A Serie A team could sign a La Liga player today, but a La Liga team couldn't sign a Serie A player today.

Technically, the US/Canada transfer window to sign player from other countries only officially opens February 10, 2022 (so even if we agree to a move for Insigne, it wouldn't become "officially official" until Feb 10 when we could register his ITC. Even if we do announce it, you'll see them write "pending the receipt of his Internstional Transfer Certificate" in the press release because he won't be eligible to play for us until then. https://www.fifa.com/legal/football-...ayer-transfers (open the pdf to see transfer window dates for all countries)

That's why in the MLS is Back Tournament, Vancouver got into that goalkeeper situation where they couldn't add the MLS Pool goalkeeper, because they were a Canadian team and the international transfer window was closed so the USSF couldn't send his ITC, but they were able to added Montreal's keeper on loan because the Impact were a Canadian team so it wasn't an 'international' player transfer.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/why-v...eeper-thursday
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-01-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fabrizio Romano
    @FabrizioRomano
    ·
    23m
    Toronto FC proposal to Lorenzo Insigne is on the table and it’s confirmed: €11m guaranteed as *net* salary, €4.5m add ons for five year and half deal. Flag of CanadaFlag of Italy #TorontoFC

Negotiations ongoing since days now entering into key stages to reach an agreement. Toronto are pushing.
    i still dont get these numbers,they seem really high

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yaaaay... More talk of net and gross salaries incoming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You may be on to something here. Can Altidore be bought out and then boomerang right back on a new one year deal? Is that allowed? BB knows and likes him, they have a lot of history…

Gio, I think there's no way TFC would do that for a number of reasons now, especially if Insigne comes. It would be Insigne's team, Seba doesn’t know how to be anything other than top dog. Especially here. I think Seba goes to Columbus in March for $500K, or something like that.
    Happy New Year to all! Thanks for the newbie support ensco. Gogon and Canary10 your follow-ups on the thought are appreciated. Oldtimer, agree... unsettling; praise is uncomfortable. I'm not good at gruff and curt, I will learn by watching more Vinnie Jones

Ensco, you're probably right about Gio. And since I do believe TheGoodson details, Altidore is likely gone too. Just silly banter on my part. I would have liked to see them both step away from their careers and finish wearing the Red. 'I believe in hope, I believe in believe... but remember, it's the hope that kills you'. I just get this gut feeling that someone at TFC is giving pause to their situations; a Plan C. I think Gio is processing that he has arrived at the steps to the door of the end of his career. He should be the gentleman and go out like Benoit when he came here or Drew when he moved on to Colorado. I get the previous discussions about the lot being mercenary; but Gio and Altidore have made their money. It should be... glad I can still be a part of this, ready and willing, what do you need me to do?, I will contribute when and where I can, as best I can; in a O Captain! My Captain! Bradley style. I think Gio may also have the youngish family issue; they live here in Toronto if I understand correctly. Deep down I think he wants to retire in Toronto.

Regarding Insigne, I think him and Gio would quickly work out any issues. They each have that southern blood in them. Gio will understand his place. Besides, if DC joins he would set SG straight from their J Primavera days.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-01-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no plz...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its the elephant in the room isn't it? Its the turning over of the apple cart of league dynamics isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

Nope. Someone has to pay, someone always has to pay. Cheque please Mr. Casual and Mr. SSH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, it’s just a European thing. I remember my dad once questioning why Canada shows salaries in gross. I shrugged him off initially but now when I think about it, it is pretty stupid. For those fortunate enough to be making 100k a year which is something many strive for, the reality is that they’re only getting $72,916 net. What’s even more odd is that when we look at purchases we do the opposite and look at their net value as opposed to the gross. For instance we advertise houses at say $500k, but that doesn’t factor in the legal, transfer and tax costs associated. So in essence we overestimate our income and underestimate our purchases.

Someone please pull me out of this wormhole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    haha, it’s just a European thing. I remember my dad once questioning why Canada shows salaries in gross. I shrugged him off initially but now when I think about it, it is pretty stupid. For those fortunate enough to be making 100k a year which is something many strive for, the reality is that they’re only getting $72,916 net. What’s even more odd is that when we look at purchases we do the opposite and look at their net value as opposed to the gross. For instance we advertise houses at say $500k, but that doesn’t factor in the legal, transfer and tax costs associated. So in essence we overestimate our income and underestimate our purchases.

Someone please pull me out of this wormhole.
    And here I thought you might be rescuing me with your insight barticusz; well said, pointing out one of those daily contradictions. When really were both in the same wormhole. Help, quick, someone else save us, pull us out!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-01-2022 at 07:00 PM.