Page 45 of 191 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 5705
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Not even. These stories about TFC have never come from a Gazzetta Della Sport or a Molinaro or a Davidson. This was always a total joke.
    his agent literally named TFC and MLS as a possible destination in an interview under a week ago after dismissing the idea a few months ago.

the "interest" from these other teams is nowhere near concrete, and mostly just back page filling fluff.

always been reported that Toronto FC is the only team with a concrete offer for him.

in fact, Di Marzio, the most reliable transfer news source out of Italy, was the first one to report on Insigne to TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Insigne's agent literally mentioned Toronto by name. Why are you so personally hurt by the thought of someone like Insigne coming to TFC?
    I didn’t know that, if that is true, fair. Doesn’t change my view much.

I would actually love it to be true. Yes, I would be pleased to have a top Serie A scorer in his prime here!

But between the Borre story and this one, I feel TFC fans are being played as rubes, and it’s becoming a habit for some nexus of Twitter/internet aggregator non-entities, agents, and the team PR department during renewal time. (It may be more the first two than the latter.)

It is simply kind of nuts to think that Insigne wouldn’t have good options in Europe, which seems to be the basis of these stories. I suppose it's always possible that TFC throw absurd money at him, although again, that seems highly unlikely to me.

I am just arguing for a higher footie IQ around these parts, but should probably lose the snark.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-22-2021 at 08:23 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Insigne coming to TFC basically means he doesn't care to play in the next World Cup, but would rather have money.

Defoe and Giovinco thought they could get both. Didn't work out for them.
    Both weren't undisputed starters for their national teams whereas Insigne literally has an order of merit for having been part of a cup winning squad. I can't see the likes of Berardi or Raspadori replacing him. Maybe he loses his starting position but I think he still gets called to the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would actually love it to be true. Yes, I would be pleased to have a top Serie A scorer in his prime here!

But between the Borre story and this one, I feel TFC fans are being played as rubes, and it’s becoming a habit for some nexus of Twitter/internet aggregator non-entities, agents, and the team PR department during renewal time. (It may be more the first two than the latter.)

I am just arguing for a higher footie IQ around these parts, but should probably lose the snark.
    Appreciate the well thought out response, ensco. Maybe we are being played as rubes, but personally it is fun to imagine a player like Insigne coming to TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the extent it is “true” that TFC are pursuing Insigne, the part that bothers me is the opportunity cost of time pursuing long shots.

Management needs to be really intensely disciplined on how they spend their time leading up to and during windows, and this is something we haven’t been good at during most of Manning's time here.

For years, since 2017 or 2018 I think, we haven’t been able to bring guys in the way other teams do, we can’t seem to sign guys in a timely way. We either had no plan B when plan A didn’t work, or the clock ran out on us.

If Plan A is Insigne… I hope Manning/Bradley are not repeating this mistake.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-22-2021 at 08:47 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Appreciate the well thought out response, ensco. Maybe we are being played as rubes, but personally it is fun to imagine a player like Insigne coming to TFC.
    That is true. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne is number 62 on the Guardian's top 100 players of 2021. (Alphonso Davies is 42). Would be fun to have someone on that list on TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is simply kind of nuts to think that Insigne wouldn’t have good options in Europe, which seems to be the basis of these stories. I suppose it's always possible that TFC throw absurd money at him, although again, that seems highly unlikely to me.

you might want to start by actually following the story as it's developing then, which includes insigne's agent literally saying in an interview this week that MLS was a possibility, citing del piero out of europe experience as an example.

Serie A is broke right now, evidenced by the fact that Napoli are about to lose insigne over the matter of 1.5 million euros a season.

Insigne is turning 31 in the summer, is it really hard to believe that clubs aren't lining up to throw money at an almost 31 year old? you must be pretty new to football if you think this would be the case.

I suppose it's always possible that TFC throw absurd money at him, although again, that seems highly unlikely to me.

why is this unlikely?

this has literally been the TFC strategy over the last 7 years, and a huge signing to reinvigorate the club is needed more now than ever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don’t understand this line of thinking. Are you disputing the fact that we’ve made an offer to Insigne? Because that’s been confirmed by multiple reporters in Europe. Now of course that doesn’t mean we’re going to get him, he’s obviously going to see what else is available to him and then decide. Naturally he would prefer to stay in Europe so I do think it’s more likely he turns us down.

Same thing with Borré. It’s pretty clear we made an offer to him too. But all the reporting out of South America said he rejected it and wanted to try a return to Europe.

Now if you’re saying TFC shouldn’t waste time on players that are unlikely to come here, I get where you’re coming from but there’s value in trying. I doubt Manning and Bradley are sitting around waiting for Insigne before going to their plans B and C. We have flexibility this year with likely 2 DP spots open. I’m sure they are looking at multiple options for those spots. Why not have Insigne at the top of the list?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I answered your question three or four posts above. There is a cost to chasing windmills.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I answered your question three or four posts above. There is a cost to chasing windmills.
    just say you don't understand how football recruitment works and move on.

they will have contacted multiple players at this point.

i personally think insigne signs at this point, but if he doesn't, can guarantee there will be other deals already in the works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shane O'Neill signed apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shane O'Neill is signed per Beezer. I had my eye on him back when he was in Colorado as he was a potential cap tie for Ireland. Defo an upgrade on Zavs and likely Omar in his current state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

i personally think insigne signs at this point, but if he doesn't, can guarantee there will be other deals already in the works.
    Well lets hope so, because if Curtis was here it would take two weeks for him to just identify another target in his rolodex.

Let's hope Bob is firmly in control of these things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not if it can open more doors later as our league changes and becomes less restricted.

You can be ambitious and get out there and be a name for bigger agents or you can wallow in MLS and wait for the Superdraft and whatever scraps are either free or real cheap (ie. old) from Europe/SA.

I am happy we're the former.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I see all your arguments now. Very insightful.

I don't know how football recruitment works. I am moving on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Shane O'Neill is signed per Beezer. I had my eye on him back when he was in Colorado as he was a potential cap tie for Ireland. Defo an upgrade on Zavs and likely Omar in his current state.
    Nice. This is exactly the kind of business we had trouble getting done with Curtis.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-22-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar off to New England supposedly (Twitter)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never understood the people on this board's tunnel vision on DP signings. It always is the be all and end all of every window.

Look at our team, that's not it. If we sign 2 DPs or no DPs we're going nowhere without depth/refreshing. If we get Insigne and just O'Neill then we're similarly shit to last season. We saw what one DP signing does with Soteldo. Let's just do a bunch more deals like O'Neill and all will be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Shane O'Neill signed apparently.
    Great signing. Proven and inexpensive CB. He was on $115,000 last year with Seattle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar officially signed by the NE Revs. Two year contract through 2023. Re-uniting with Bruce Arena from their Galaxy days
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/new-e...-as-free-agent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Inter Milan, AC Milan, Juventus, AS Roma, Barcelona FC, Chelsea, Manchester United, and Tottenham
    are all still interested in Insigne, according to Italian media.

Assuming that's correct I highly doubt we get him. They're all just waiting until January, as they can offer a deal for a free move six months before his contract expires in June.

We're just a pace vehicle on this one, I think.
    More like a safety car…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the extent it is “true” that TFC are pursuing Insigne, the part that bothers me is the opportunity cost of time pursuing long shots.

Management needs to be really intensely disciplined on how they spend their time leading up to and during windows, and this is something we haven’t been good at during most of Manning's time here.

For years, since 2017 or 2018 I think, we haven’t been able to bring guys in the way other teams do, we can’t seem to sign guys in a timely way. We either had no plan B when plan A didn’t work, or the clock ran out on us.

If Plan A is Insigne… I hope Manning/Bradley are not repeating this mistake.
    We will know in two weeks…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given TFC’s recent recruitment history I agree with Ensco. I also disagree somewhat with your point. Why isn’t Leeds in for Insigne, for example? Because Leeds aha a recruitment policy for a certain profile of player and spends its time on those. Doesn’t mean it gets everyone, but they have been very effective by focusing. Same with Liverpool.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Given TFC’s recent recruitment history I agree with Ensco. I also disagree somewhat with your point. Why isn’t Leeds in for Insigne, for example? Because Leeds aha a recruitment policy for a certain profile of player and spends its time on those. Doesn’t mean it gets everyone, but they have been very effective by focusing. Same with Liverpool.
    we signed giovinco 6 years ago, bradley 7 years ago.

both players at good serie a clubs.

i'd say this is in line with that recruitment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good signing, hopefully he's the third CB option but even if he's a starter he won't be a catastrophic weakness like Omar was

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

based on his salary last year, this looks like the zavaleta replacement.

big upgrade if so, also an upgrade on omar if we're being honest despite making around 1/8th of the money

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Leeds aren't in for him because firstly the price is prohibitive and secondly, the demand for overpaid, 30+, diminutive wingers is pretty low. So low that most of the rumored teams in for him are probably nothing more than agent smoke. We're the opposite. We willingly splash tons of cash down on players who aren't worth it. That's our recruitment history & policy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing a 33 y/o Omar to a 2 year deal to play on Gillette turf is an absolutely awful piece of business even at 100k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shane O'neill's contract Lt with us is for 3 years through 2024

https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...-shane-o-neill