Page 41 of 191 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 5705
  1. #1201
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think he'll get a Premiership offer. There's a certain mentality about undersized players there.

    His agent, who previously said he wasn't interested in going to MLS, is now calling it an option.

    https://www.fussballtransfers.com/a5...ls-eine-option

  2. #1202
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,105
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    In the article they say 20 million and then say 11 million Euros per season which is roughly 12.5 million USD.
    They said $20M gross (before taxes) and €11M net (after taxes) per season. No way we’re offering anything close to that.

    I could see an offer in the $8-10M range before taxes. We’ve had DPs in MLS close to that.

  3. #1203
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    221
    Posts
    19,611
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    "they" usually get the total wage offer mixed up with the per year

    every

    single


    season

  4. #1204
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Top guys on top teams (and yes, Spurs are one) start at 7-10M euros a year and go up. Cavani makes something like 12M euros.

    If Spurs want him, they will get him without breaking into a sweat.
    Salaries have drastically increased in Europe over the last decade. MLS has been insulated by the salary cap, so $20m seems incredibly ridiculous to us.

  5. #1205
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    My understanding is that he's on $7M a year under his old deal but Napoli is only offering $3.5M per season for each of two years with two more option years.

    The original number being bandied about after Manning's visit was E15M but my suspicion is that it was $15M for two years with options, or $7.5M per season. That would put him in line with the league's top earners, meet his demands from Italy.

    Just makes more sense. I don't think the league is going to sanction $10M per year players yet. Sort of number that gets owners nervous.
    Fuck the league. If a team can pay then they can pay. We’re owned by Bogers, not a half-insolvent nobody.

    PTSD from NASL is holding this league back.

  6. #1206
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    7,291
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Fuck the league. If a team can pay then they can pay. We’re owned by Bogers, not a half-insolvent nobody.

    PTSD from NASL is holding this league back.

    MLS can't compete with Europe dollars. Best for them to have some sort of a salary cap in place. Maybe not as stringent as it is now, but there should be something there to stop owners from sending teams into debt.

  7. #1207
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There’s a Bob Bradley Wheeler interview on YouTube today,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uujprE_kDk&t=1039s

    some good stuff in there. Notes he brought Mo Salah into the Egypt team as a 19 year old and will play youngsters if they’re ready.

    also hints that team dysfunction often involves arrogant successful players who lose sight of being coached.

  8. #1208
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There’s a Bob Bradley Wheeler interview on YouTube today,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uujprE_kDk&t=1039s

    some good stuff in there. Notes he brought Mo Salah into the Egypt team as a 19 year old and will play youngsters if they’re ready.

    also hints that team dysfunction often involves arrogant successful players who lose sight of being coached.
    Great find. I enjoyed that interview.

  9. #1209
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    that's what people said about getting a Seba replacement and we ended up with Pozuelo
    Poz replaced VV not Seba. Playmaker. We have never replaced Seba.

  10. #1210
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Poz replaced VV not Seba. Playmaker. We have never replaced Seba.
    This!

  11. #1211
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Poz replaced VV not Seba. Playmaker. We have never replaced Seba.
    Yes… but no.

    At the time, it was easier to get away with two guys who put in a very light shift defensively PLUS a target man. You could not get away with that now IMO.

    What we needed but never got was a wide forward who is a secondary goal scoring threat. Someone like Tajon who is direct, skillful, and has pace. Instead, we went out at bought a second playmaker and created a 1 + 1= 1.5 scenario. This is after years of mediocre / average attempts to fill that position.

  12. #1212
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yes… but no.

    At the time, it was easier to get away with two guys who put in a very light shift defensively PLUS a target man. You could not get away with that now IMO.

    What we needed but never got was a wide forward who is a secondary goal scoring threat. Someone like Tajon who is direct, skillful, and has pace. Instead, we went out at bought a second playmaker and created a 1 + 1= 1.5 scenario. This is after years of mediocre / average attempts to fill that position.
    Piatti & Benezet were kind of like this and we were decent. The problem was we were missing the target man most of the time.

  13. #1213
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Piatti & Benezet were kind of like this and we were decent. The problem was we were missing the target man most of the time.
    I agree they were supposed to be the type. To be frank I wasn’t terribly impressed with either.

    Both had average pace at best. Chipped in the odd goal but otherwise wasn’t at the overall quality level we needed

  14. #1214
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    7,291
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Poz replaced VV not Seba. Playmaker. We have never replaced Seba.
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    This!
    You're both looking at this too narrowly.

    First off, I keep hearing this nonsense statement whenever the two are compared. When you say "replace Seba" I can only assume you mean his production output? or are you speaking about his position?

    Look, They are both game changers. Both guys who can single handily help win a game for you. They both proved that by winning MVP's. They both took TFC to finals.

    Replacing a DP doesn't always mean replacing stats or even position. It's about replacing the impact. Poz did that IMO.

    Another example of player replacing a player would be Ciman replacing Cheyrou. That is a thing and it has nothing to do with the position they play or the stats they delivered,
    Last edited by jabbronies; 12-17-2021 at 12:51 PM.

  15. #1215
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You're both looking at this too narrowly.

    First off, I keep hearing this nonsense statement whenever the two are compared. When you say "replace Seba" I can only assume you mean his production output? or are you speaking about his position?

    Look, They are both game changers. Both guys who can single handily help win a game for you. They both proved that by winning MVP's. They both took TFC to finals.

    Replacing a DP doesn't always mean replacing stats. It's about replacing the impact. Poz did that IMO.

    Another example of player replacing a player would be Ciman replacing Cheyrou. That is a thing and it has nothing to do with the position they play,
    Also Vanney changed our formation as well so having a floating Giovinco type wouldn't have worked in the one striker set up. If we would have let Altidore walk then we probably could have replaced the goal scoring aspect of the DP forward role but sentimentality won on that day.

  16. #1216
    RPB Member
    Moderator

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    18,311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You're both looking at this too narrowly.

    First off, I keep hearing this nonsense statement whenever the two are compared. When you say "replace Seba" I can only assume you mean his production output? or are you speaking about his position?

    Look, They are both game changers. Both guys who can single handily help win a game for you. They both proved that by winning MVP's. They both took TFC to finals.

    Replacing a DP doesn't always mean replacing stats. It's about replacing the impact. Poz did that IMO.

    Another example of player replacing a player would be Ciman replacing Cheyrou. That is a thing and it has nothing to do with the position they play,
    I agree. We have a tendency to look at positions as "boxes" that need to be filled, hopefully by the best possible for each position. However in real life there are those exceptional achievers who don't easily fit into a box but are game-changers. You need to work around those players, not constrain them to a rigid system or idea of position.


  17. #1217
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I agree. We have a tendency to look at positions as "boxes" that need to be filled, hopefully by the best possible for each position. However in real life there are those exceptional achievers who don't easily fit into a box but are game-changers. You need to work around those players, not constrain them to a rigid system or idea of position.
    sure, but we had two scorers (Jozy and Seba) and a playmaker (VV) and replaced one scorer (Seba) and one playmaker (VV) with one playmaker (Poz). edit: tried to delete this post as it is nearly a duplicate of the next but it won't delete
    Last edited by MightyDM; 12-17-2021 at 01:44 PM.

  18. #1218
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You're both looking at this too narrowly.

    First off, I keep hearing this nonsense statement whenever the two are compared. When you say "replace Seba" I can only assume you mean his production output? or are you speaking about his position?

    Look, They are both game changers. Both guys who can single handily help win a game for you. They both proved that by winning MVP's. They both took TFC to finals.

    Replacing a DP doesn't always mean replacing stats or even position. It's about replacing the impact. Poz did that IMO.

    Another example of player replacing a player would be Ciman replacing Cheyrou. That is a thing and it has nothing to do with the position they play or the stats they delivered,
    Looking at it the other way, we never replaced VV. We had Seba, VV, Jozy and replaced Seba and VV with Poz. Quite literally.

  19. #1219
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    7,291
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Looking at it the other way, we never replaced VV. We had Seba, VV, Jozy and replaced Seba and VV with Poz. Quite literally.

    We needed a playmaker and a goal scorer.
    We had Poz and we had Jozy

    Jozy was a bust. That was the fuck up.
    The Fuck up wasn't "not replacing Specific player A to the exactly the same thing"

    We changed the way we played. We didn't need to replace both Seba and Victor to do exactly the same things they did because we weren't going to play that same system. We adapted how we played and we went to a final and then 2nd overall in the league by adapting.

    Jozy was the fuck up.

  20. #1220
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Looking at it the other way, we never replaced VV. We had Seba, VV, Jozy and replaced Seba and VV with Poz. Quite literally.
    Your comparisons aren't taking into account the change in shape that Vanney wanted prior to 2019. He openly wanted to switch to 4-3-3 so the replacements can't be like for like because it wasn't a 2 FW set up. With his set up that responsibility and more of the ball thus opportunities were to go to Jozy and our signings were to be complimentary wide players. So it went:


    VV (M), Jozy (CF), Giovinco (FW)

    to

    Poz (M), Jozy (CF), Benezet then Piatti (WF) <---we should have gotten another wide FW on the other side both years though

    Were those last two perfect like for like to Giovinco? No but they were wide players. If 2019 was different and we re-signed Giovinco either Vanney would have had to dump his 4-3-3 idea or else shoehorn Giovinco out there he would have not produced like he (and we) were used to and then would have pouted and whined until he was out the door. Or at least until Jozy got hurt and then he would have been CF.

    I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that Vanney wanted to change our shape and style in 2019 and thusly it affected roster decisions. Curtis gets all the blame and for sure he is an idiot but he went and got pieces that fit into what Vanney wanted and Benezet & Piatti were Vanney hook ups. I think if Vanney wanted to keep the status quo and wanted Giovinco he would have been re-signed. As it went, we didn't need two outright goalscorers as we only had one spot up top avialable (in theory barring the inevitable injuries).

  21. #1221
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    6,402
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Jozy was a bust. That was the fuck up.
    This is it. Vanney changed our system and Jozy was to be the offensive focal point and he broke down and/or was out of shape for most of the season and all of it that mattered.

  22. #1222
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is it. Vanney changed our system and Jozy was to be the offensive focal point and he broke down and/or was out of shape for most of the season and all of it that mattered.
    For sure, but I think the secondary goal scoring threat point is also valid. As much as Poz can chip in a few there needed to be someone else to plug the gap.

  23. #1223
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is it. Vanney changed our system and Jozy was to be the offensive focal point and he broke down and/or was out of shape for most of the season and all of it that mattered.
    All three finals could have gone either way, if Jozy doesn't score in the 67th minute and Seattle gets a fluke one again, we lose the 2nd one, even though we dominated. I truly believe if Jozy starts the 2nd half in Seattle we win, I will never understand why Vanney held him back. But truth... Poz needs a finisher or someone to draw defenders away from him. Not right to compare Poz to Seba., different players, different teams.

  24. #1224
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would argue that not resigning Gio was the major screwup which snowballed into Jozy being given the contract. They had their pants down and were caught out cold.

    A lot of that blame is on Manning when everyone knew that contract negotiators are different in football.

    We would have had much better seasons with Gio producing, yes he was on the decline but perhaps he could have adapted in the system, it's to late for that now.

  25. #1225
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I would argue that not resigning Gio was the major screwup which snowballed into Jozy being given the contract. They had their pants down and were caught out cold.

    A lot of that blame is on Manning when everyone knew that contract negotiators are different in football.

    We would have had much better seasons with Gio producing, yes he was on the decline but perhaps he could have adapted in the system, it's to late for that now.

    I would agree with this, except Gio, or his advisors let greed take hold, he is to blame as well (he has said as much). I just don't get the Jozy haters, he played through real injuries in 17. I wouldn't listen to that clown Armas either and I don't begrudge him his contract, Manning gave it to him. The guy bleeds Red and is a legend, he may be broken down but play him to what he can do or buy him out but slagging him makes no sense.

  26. #1226
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kingston
    Posts
    302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just watched 'We Must Go' a good documentary on Egypt trying to qualify for '14 World Cup and shows the dedication of what BB had to go through and how he stuck with it despite everything they were going through.
    I found it on Fubo tv. Not sure if you can find it anywhere else. Worth a watch though

  27. #1227
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think if we sell Soteldo back to Brazil, which seems likely, TFC will spend for an out and out number 9. If MLSE is that commited to spending crazy money for Insigne, I can't see them cheaping out for that 3rd DP slot.

  28. #1228
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    875
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This thread gets more and more pointless as the years go by. It’s on topic maybe 5% of the time.

    ……

    Some murmurs that an eastern conference team is looking at Darwin Quintero in re-entry phase 2. Doubt it’s us? But he’s a guy I’d take in the spot/salary that Dwyer occupies.

  29. #1229
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    beautiful downtown bolton
    Posts
    4,094
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    This thread gets more and more pointless as the years go by. It’s on topic maybe 5% of the time.

    ……

    Some murmurs that an eastern conference team is looking at Darwin Quintero in re-entry phase 2. Doubt it’s us? But he’s a guy I’d take in the spot/salary that Dwyer occupies.
    that sounds like a MTL type signing

  30. #1230
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    TFC is close to getting Ayo re-signed per Buffery on Twitter.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •