Page 4 of 191 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point of contention with Zimmerman would be they sold an asset that was a needed part of their team and struggled to replace it with someone of an equivalent quality. Like very poorly thought out and horribly executed all around.

But I don’t know how much say Bradley had in the matter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is their GM? Thorington is like their Manning? But there is no Curits in between Bradley and Thorington?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    But I don’t know how much say Bradley had in the matter?
    This is what I was wondering. All the behind the scenes stuff that goes on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Insigne is the type of player that any coach in MLS would take. If they say "no, I'd rather someone else", they're lying and should be fired. Coaches should always be able to be somewhat flexible in the system they'd like to play in order to integrate great players.

That said - totally agree with you that Insigne could just be us doing a favour to Italian agents, plus it helps raise TFC's profile globally.
    Yes he would be a good player however I still want the coach to make the decision.

How do you know if he doesn't want to prioritize a new DP midfield destroyer like Bradley in his prime? His options should be available, its not like we are talking about a Ronaldo or Messi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    On LAFC fans not liking Bradley anymore

They don't know what they have had. Wait until they get some person who really can't do the job but looks good to the media. Maybe not Armas bad but I'm thinking a guy like Almeyda who is promising but never quite there.

I'm not sold on Bradley because of the Zimmerman trade but LAFC people have about as much institutional knowledge as ATL 2 years ago.
    Once upon a time I thought NYRB fans were just bitter about Armas...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Once upon a time I thought NYRB fans were just bitter about Armas...
    In fairness, there were plenty of signs Armas was an odd ball. Playing players out of position, horrid communication skills, over zealous adherence to a philosophy that didn’t suit the team.

My “fear” with Bradley is he’s just an average dude making up the numbers. He might not suck but I have a hard time believing he’s a winner. I’ve seen LAFC in enough big games and they play okay in the regular season but look like perpetual first round exit candidates in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fairness, there were plenty of signs Armas was an odd ball. Playing players out of position, horrid communication skills, over zealous adherence to a philosophy that didn’t suit the team.

My “fear” with Bradley is he’s just an average dude making up the numbers. He might not suck but I have a hard time believing he’s a winner. I’ve seen LAFC in enough big games and they play okay in the regular season but look like perpetual first round exit candidates in the playoffs.
    That's the thing. I've barely watched any LAFC over the last few years. I read they've been plagued with injuries and have been underperforming their underlying metrics but their fans are screaming blue murder about their signings and Bradley's lineups and in game management. There is also years of evidence of Bradley been a stubborn sanctimonious prick. So, yea, massive case of buyer beware for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley yes bring him on has an MLS Cup under his belt coaching Chicago in their inaugural season . Coached the US national team got them to the World Cup
    and advanced out of their group. Probably the best coach out there that is available, he will be one of the better coaches TFC have ever hired if they hire him , bring him here and let’s turn around this mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley is for sure the best coach available right now within MLS and with a good MLS pedigree, and a name in US and Canada, but of course is underwhelming.

Only solution as TFC head coach for me who would be available and not underwhelming would be a coach from outside of the MLS realm, from South America (but just Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay) or Europe. But this is unlikely to happen.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 11-10-2021 at 09:27 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so my rant…

Lets be honest this team is broken and fragile. We are not a possession team, we are not a full out pressing team and quite frankly i don’t see us having the personnel to be either. (So the whole Armas experiment was so naive to be implemented in 3 months, let alone over two seasons).

Now, we can be more direct, and that is fun to watch. We can be selective in our style because we do have some players with high IQ and we can sustain pressing appropriately.

We talk about Bono’s decline but maybe he is really a reflex goalie and his distribution wasn’t ever really that good. Remember, everything in 16-18 went through MB, so Bono would always look there first…. It was safe.

IMHO, the biggest thing we need to decide is what we want to be and build a team around it, i have patience but I have ZERO and I mean ZERO confidence in the Front Office’s ability, to do that right now (Manning wont pull the trigger on Curtis). I do remember one of Leiweke’s first quotes was that TFC was going to be one of the quickest of assets to turn around at that time. He understood the business, hope is not a strategy.

Soccer is going to be one of the hottest things for the next 5-6 years in this city, and this country, and when we qualify for 2022 even more so. So MLSE and TFC be decisive, ruthless and spend money the right way so TFC is back being one of the Big Clubs in NA.

It starts with management, theoretical 200 page plans don’t do anything but sit on a shelf….

Find the right GM/Coach, acquire players and support staff to implement his or her vision, then find the appropriate players and get back to playing good football. Don’t go signing players to fill the seats and lose miserably or that next DP will jettison as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Bob Bradley yes bring him on has an MLS Cup under his belt coaching Chicago in their inaugural season . Coached the US national team got them to the World Cup
    and advanced out of their group. Probably the best coach out there that is available, he will be one of the better coaches TFC have ever hired if they hire him , bring him here and let’s turn around this mess.
    Bob Bradley is 2022 Preki

Maybe that’s the comparison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley is 2022 Preki

Maybe that’s the comparison
    Preki with EPL experience?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess we didn't impress Insigne's agent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Preki with 11 games EPL experience?
    Fixed your post 😉

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed your post 
    Lol. But we all know he really got fired for calling a penalty a PK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what TFC ought to do. Package up all the money they want to spend on Bob Bradley and maybe a bit more, and go get Daniel Farke. I Hear he's available, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Guess we didn't impress Insigne's agent.

I suspect Curtis and Manning will end up signing some overpriced South American DP(s) nobody has ever heard of and the team will continue flounder.

They might try to sign a big European DP, but as we have seen for the past three years, they will fail. The magic in this team from '14-'17 is gone. We should have made Tim B our president when we had the chance.

Ali Curtis will continue to play internal politics and ensure he can't be fired. Until we cut out the cancer, Manning and Curtis, the club is going to struggle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I suspect Curtis and Manning will end up signing some overpriced South American DP(s) nobody has ever heard of and the team will continue flounder.

They might try to sign a big European DP, but as we have seen for the past three years, they will fail. The magic in this team from '14-'17 is gone. We should have made Tim B our president when we had the chance.

Ali Curtis will continue to play internal politics and ensure he can't be fired. Until we cut out the cancer, Manning and Curtis, the club is going to struggle.
    I would put my money on a guy like Cristian Tello. Not a national team player, out of contract in June and can come over and be buddies with Pozuelo while making the team a bit better.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 11-10-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Lol. But we all know he really got fired for calling a penalty a PK.
    There was definitely a high degree of schadenfreude in the English press. “Oh the American thinks he can coach here! Not good enough!” Lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew the Insigne stuff was a pipe dream. You need a Tim Leiweke to pull that off.

So is the club really going to wait until after the cup game to release players/staff/coaching? Lets get the show on the road already.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I knew the Insigne stuff was a pipe dream. You need a Tim Leiweke to pull that off.

So is the club really going to wait until after the cup game to release players/staff/coaching? Lets get the show on the road already.
    They need a manager first. You have to let the manager make those decisions

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had a dollar for how many times I've seen "those are completley fake" a few days or weeks before the reports turn out to be true, I could probably afford a nice vacation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If I had a dollar for how many times I've seen "those are completley fake" a few days or weeks before the reports turn out to be true, I could probably afford a nice vacation.
    I read the same things about Defoe, Giovinco, Bradley, & Pozuelo and Cesar (for his loan). Those are just for us and off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I read the same things about Defoe, Giovinco, Bradley, & Pozuelo and Cesar (for his loan). Those are just for us and off the top of my head.
    Gio? Are you sure? That was a pretty silent one. I don’t remember too many leaks amd therefore no denials.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    They need a manager first. You have to let the manager make those decisions
    They knew Vanney was leaving last year and still took forever to finally get Armas named at the start of training camp if I recall. If they pull that crap again how is the manager going to have time to make any player decisions before the season starts.....they better get it right this time. Another failed coaching appointment in terms of selection or timing would be brutal. But to be honest I would not be surprised by anything these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Gio? Are you sure? That was a pretty silent one. I don’t remember too many leaks amd therefore no denials.
    There was a solid 24-36 hours of utter denial that a young Juve player would come to MLS much less Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was definitely a high degree of schadenfreude in the English press. “Oh the American thinks he can coach here! Not good enough!” Lol
    He actually had a better record in his first eleven games than the guy he replaced. But he didn’t come ready; like Ange at Celtic he wanted a tinkering period to assess ideal squad and tactics but you don’t get any time leeway in the Prem. He might’ve come good eventually but the English press are absolute jackals about most things, particularly Americans, and particularly Americans managing football.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believed the Defoe and Gio rumours.

I don't believe the Insigne one whatsoever. That player has legitimate options in Europe. He isn't facing going to Bournemouth or Parma or similar…
    Last edited by ensco; 11-10-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure we heard about Pozuelo, Genk denied it and Pozuelo immediately stopped talking to the media. Next thing we knew they were threatening to take us to court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    There was a solid 24-36 hours of utter denial that a young Juve player would come to MLS much less Toronto.
    I can’t argue with that. Likely why I don’t remember it being Giovinco even though it ultimately was.